I want your support

10 posts

Flag Post

If you don’t know, you can connect your Kinect for XBOX to your computer’s usb(in some cases you need an adapter for power supply) and play gesture controlled games on your PC or Macintosh.

I have an idea for a new kinect game that is to be based on unity and should be playable here. Inspired by chatroulette and clones of it I came up with the idea of a second life clone with the difference that the avatars are not regular cg figures but the current 3D-Model of the user being seen. You are standing in front of the kinect and everything the kinect can see of you is being shown as a glowing point cloud or a fully textured 3D live image of yours. Using your hands and feet you can navigate through the – on purpose – barren/spartan surrounding to meet other users doing the same in real time. Voice is being captured using the internal microphones of the kinect.

So you see a group of interesting people, move towards them and the closer you come to them, the better you hear them. Someone speaking on your right comes from the right speaker, someone behind you from your back speaker if surround is available.

It is a lot of work to create well, so I want to conduct a survey here, before I start development:

- Would you use it regularly? This is important as it is – like chatroulette – based on the participants. Without many people participating, it’s empty and people leave.
- Would you prefer it over chatroulette? If not, what would have to be different.

ONLY TALK ABOUT YOU. Don’t make assumptions what other people MIGHT do.

Flag Post

Nope.

1. Movement has no place in video games.
2. Generally in SL a well-built sim is what attracts people. The “barren/spartan” landscapes are home to building sandboxes, griefers, and bots, not large gatherings.
3. Tons of people would object to a model of themselves.
4. It’d be a waste to develop for consoles as they’re recreated every few years.
5. A lot of the draw of SL is building, scripting, combat, roleplay, gambling, and various other things that are indirectly or not at all social.

Flag Post

Um how would you base a kinect game on unity and make it playable on kongregate? Kinect is only available on Xbox 360, you’d have to physically develop a thing that does the same stuff as kinect for pc AND an engine based on unity.

And all that just to make a second life clone. I personally feel I’d be better of just using chatroulette.

Flag Post
Kinect is only available on Xbox 360, you’d have to physically develop a thing that does the same stuff as kinect for pc AND an engine based on unity.

You can connect your Kinect for XBOX to your computer’s usb(in some cases you need an adapter for power supply) and play gesture controlled games on your PC or Macintosh. Microsoft officially supports this, see http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows .

Flag Post

What do you mean by that?

What holds you back?
4. It’d be a waste to develop for consoles as they’re recreated every few years.
It would be for PC/Mac.
5. A lot of the draw of SL is building, scripting, combat, roleplay, gambling, and various other things that are indirectly or not at all social.
So you think SL works because of everything but the avatar’s live update and realism?

Flag Post

Ugh, I have a PS3 ._.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AllStarDominatio:

Ugh, I have a PS3 ._.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

o_O Waaaaiiiit, whaaaaa? O_o So every time I choose between WASD and arrow keys movement I support bad game design?
And if you think kinect is bad idea, just say so. Don’t make completely ridiculous statements that require lot of context and guessing “what the hell was that supposed to mean?”.

Did I miss international brainfart day or something? Social “refers to the interaction of organisms with other organisms”. Do you combat with yourself? Roleplay forever alone?
Or maybe you were aiming for biggest WTF? posts on Kong? Because that definitely made my top 10.

Originally posted by mimeKunst:

What holds you back?

Not sure if I understand what you mean. If that was supposed to mean “why wouldn’t you use model of yourself?” then I suggest you stay away from social games, because you clearly have no idea about human psychology. Many people (especially in US) are fat. So they create slim virtual avatars to pretend they’re awesome and perfect. That’s the appeal of virtual world: you can be anyone you want. Short people can be tall, skinny one can be muscular, boys can be GiRLs. After all, if everything in game would be exactly like in real world, why even bother playing instead of just, you know, going outside?
Last but not least: why would I ever chat standing if front of camera and simulate movement why I can do all that and more laying on couch and using only one hand to move mouse?

Flag Post

Considering he was talking specifically about basing it on the Kinect, I figured it’d be pretty clear that moving was referring to the form of input. Context, use it.

Also, since you seem to be having reading issues today:

indirectly or not at all social

A large part of SL’s combat games and even roleplay games are based on playing out predefined or semi-random scenarios against/involving NPCs, and gambling is almost entirely in the slot machine or market simulator styles. So, yes, a large part of combat and RP is either non-social or only indirectly so.

Flag Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Wzr12gBrXA8