Couple of questions about my ps3

6 posts

Flag Post

Somebody recently gave me his ps3. It’s the original one that’s backwards compatible with ps2 games and stuff.

Now, the TV in my room that I want to play it on is about 10 years old and doesn’t have a HDMI port. My Uncle who knows a lot about technical stuff (He used to completely take apart video players(VCR or whatever you call it) and put them back together for shits and giggles.) told me that the AV out port on the back of my PS3 is a standard sony AV thing, so he thought that it should work with my PS2 SCART cable.

Lo and behold…. It didn’t. Not on my stone age TV or the shiny new-ish HD TV in the living room. It’s not the PS3 as it worked in the living room with my HDMI cable. So, do I need a new TV in my room or just a different AV cable?

NOTE: I CANNOT USE THE TV DOWNSTAIRS AS MY FAMILY WATCH TV ON IT.

tl;dr: Playstation 3 not working with PS2 cable. What do?

ALSO, if anybody knows any good PS3 exclusives tell me so once I get the damn thing working I can get some good games that I can’t get on my 360.

Flag Post

Accidently clicked quote instead of edit, so yeah, this post exists now. Hurray!

Flag Post

Buy a standard ps3 av cable.

Flag Post

But.. The first ever ps3 had a HDMI cable…

Flag Post

Well, your friend is an ass for not including the AV cable with the PS3, then. A free PS3 with no AV!? Torture!!! If the PS3 never came stock with one, then Sony is a complete ass. Seriously, I have the AV cable stored in my backpack just in case I have to use it on older TVs with my 360. There’s even that AV converter thingy I use for headsets with the HDMI that should have come stock.

Otherwise, you should be able to find an AV cable/multi-out/S-video/whatever the hell they’re called at the nearest Gamestop, Best Buy, Radio Shack, used game store, your aunt Sally’s house, the dumpster, etc. I’d make sure you get the HD one, though. More versatile nowadays than the basic red/white/yellow AV. It shouldn’t cost you more than a few dollars, but that’s not very expensive considering you were given the PS3.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SicMirx:

Well, your friend is an ass for not including the AV cable with the PS3, then. A free PS3 with no AV!? Torture!!! If the PS3 never came stock with one, then Sony is a complete ass. Seriously, I have the AV cable stored in my backpack just in case I have to use it on older TVs with my 360. There’s even that AV converter thingy I use for headsets with the HDMI that should have come stock.

Otherwise, you should be able to find an AV cable/multi-out/S-video/whatever the hell they’re called at the nearest Gamestop, Best Buy, Radio Shack, used game store, your aunt Sally’s house, the dumpster, etc. I’d make sure you get the HD one, though. More versatile nowadays than the basic red/white/yellow AV. It shouldn’t cost you more than a few dollars, but that’s not very expensive considering you were given the PS3.

I think he got rid of his AV cable seeing as he has a fancy TV.

I know somebody that thinks he has an AV cable, so I’m fine now.