• Physics sandbox
  • 200 items and counting
  • Destructible objects
  • Cutting system
  • Contraptions
  • Saveable and shareable levels
  • Lots and lots of blood

About

MaD2 is a physics sandbox that serves the role of a virtual stressball of sorts. It’s a complete re-write of the original game, and pretty much every aspect has been polished compared to the original. And there’s also lots of new stuff too thanks to more flexible systems and experience in general.

Links

MaD Lab
Content Info
Development Tools

Social

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube

Flag Post

Newest Patchnotes

(If you want older notes for some reason, PM me.)

20140808 (notes too long to fit into the forum post.)

Flag Post

A big, no, enormous applause to 0rava!
Thanks for making a so awesome game! Clap clap clap

Rates 5 and favorites the game

Oh, and thanks for making me forget about maths homework. Ewwww.

Flag Post

Level sharing is now working!

Here’s an example I made: Simple Trigger

Flag Post

Molotovs aren’t lighting sht on fire

Flag Post
Originally posted by ghostsback:

Molotovs aren’t lighting sht on fire

The molotov has to be set on fire before it can spread fire, you can use the lighter for that. Or use the incendiary grenade instead.

Flag Post

How do you shoot? A MAD veteran like me should know this, but nope.

Flag Post
Originally posted by burntfires22:

How do you shoot? A MAD veteran like me should know this, but nope.

MaD2 is very different from MaD1 when it comes to the controls, some confusion is to be expected in the beginning.

In MaD2 objects can have some sort of functionality, and if they do, they can be “triggered”.

For example, when an explosive is triggered, it will explode, and firearms will shoot.

You can trigger things either by using certain in-game objects, like buttons or sensors, or you can manually trigger them using the Trigger tool.

The tutorial shows you how to use all the tools. I know it’s a bit boring but it’s there for a reason and really helps with all this stuff.

Flag Post

I don’t know if this has been done before or something, I’ve just started playing MaD2, so again, I’m sorry if it’s been done. But is there anyway to “hold” a gun?

Flag Post

Uhmm… 0rava, I’ve found that I can move the screen with the numPad but I can’t edit the starting box. Is it an unfinished feature? Because it would be great to have the possibility of zoom in and out and having a bigger area for playing.

Originally posted by PANCAKEKILLERZ:

I don’t know if this has been done before or something, I’ve just started playing MaD2, so again, I’m sorry if it’s been done. But is there anyway to “hold” a gun?

If you mean a ragdoll to hold a gun, you can use joints (the “Jointing” tutorial explains how to, to open tutorials press on the “?” in the main menu).
If you mean to have a more stable aim while dragging the weapon you can use “speed damp” and “spin damp”. Setting them to a big number like 300 make everything you spawn able to “float”, helping you with some weapons.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheNABBON:

Uhmm… 0rava, I’ve found that I can move the screen with the numPad but I can’t edit the starting box. Is it an unfinished feature? Because it would be great to have the possibility of zoom in and out and having a bigger area for playing.

Yeah, the camera isn’t quite fully functional yet so you’re locked to the room for now.

Flag Post

For a lot of objects the box on which the blood spawns is to small, especially the guns. Also it looks like it is put on slightly off on the table.

Also molotovs and desintegrators don’t work.

Also: tripwires can not be flipped properly. And it would be nice if it didn’t create more lasers if broken.

Suggestion: a copy tool, it would be really nice.

Flag Post
Originally posted by nyvrem:

For a lot of objects the box on which the blood spawns is to small, especially the guns. Also it looks like it is put on slightly off on the table.

The effects layer should be properly positioned now.

Also molotovs and desintegrators don’t work.

You have to set the molotov on fire before it can spread fire, otherwise it just breaks. I’ve added a pulverizer ray that actually disintegrates stuff now, you can find it under Firearms.

Flag Post

It looks like saving system is having trouble with linking… When I save a complicated level with many links from triggers to objects after loading that level again it messes everything up and links random things. Like squares to pistols and breakable to buttons. With easier ones it doesn’t do this. If I just link something to something and save then everything goes well.

Also, is there any way to undo a link other than eliminate one of the linked objects?

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheNABBON:

is there any way to undo a link other than eliminate one of the linked objects?

You can link the object to nothing (start linking, release when mouse is not over anything)

Flag Post

It doesn’t seem like the effect layer is properly positioned on the shotgun as I can not bloody the back.

The pulverizer ray lacks the nice pulverization effect :\

Revolver’s bullets fire out of a place that is not near the barrel of the gun :P

Molotovs are too breakable. They can’t even always survive a 1 foot drop. Also their firey explosion is pretty small in relation to their size and the effort taken into lighting them. They are currently pretty useless and there is no reason to not use incendiary instead especially since their explosions are noticable, they don’t break as easily and they don’t take such a hassle :P

I think chainsaws, like guns, should stop working if cut in half for realism purposes :P

Also it is not really clear what healing does :I

Also: tripwires can not be flipped properly. And it would be nice if it didn’t create more lasers if broken.

Suggestion: a copy tool, it would be really nice.

It would be really nice if all beam emitting objects would stop working whne the beam emiter is destroyed instead of replicating the beam.

Also sometimes the game crashes and stops using gravity and sometimes also stops updating objects which seems to only be fixable through refreshing

Flag Post

0rava, the stage hates everything. help.

Flag Post

0) It doesn’t seem like the effect layer is properly positioned on the shotgun as I can not bloody the back.

1) The pulverizer ray lacks the nice pulverization effect :\

2) Revolver’s bullets fire out of a place that is not near the barrel of the gun :P

3) [Molotovs] are currently pretty useless and there is no reason to not use incendiary instead

4) I think chainsaws, like guns, should stop working if cut in half for realism purposes :P

5) Also it is not really clear what healing does :I

6) Tripwires can not be flipped properly. And it would be nice if it didn’t create more lasers if broken.

7) Also sometimes the game crashes and stops using gravity and sometimes also stops updating objects which seems to only be fixable through refreshing

0) Should be properly fixed now. The positioning was fine but it was drawing in the wrong spot.

1) The ray should work on all objects now.

2) Bullet positioning is wrong on multiple guns at the moment, and requires somewhat of a rework. It’s on the to-do list.

3) I feel that not everything has to be incredibly useful, there is a shoe and a stuffed trout in the game after all. The incendiary and molotov pretty much do the same thing so I wanted to differentiate the two by making the molotov only work when ignited. Nevertheless, I’ve modified the molotov a bit, it’s now easier to ignite, and has a larger range.

4) The chainsaw stops actively cutting when broken, but the chain is still marked as “sharp”, so it may cause bleeding. Working as intended.

5) Each bodypart has a separate health pool, and it can only bleed as long as it has health left. Bodyparts with no health might disintegrate on hard hits. Healing with the medkit, blood bag or syringe simply restores missing health. There most likely will be toggleable health bars at some point that should elaborate on this.

6) Fixed tripwire flipping, and rays duplicating on cut.

7) If possible, reproduce the bug and let me know how/when it happens.

Originally posted by Laendude:

0rava, the stage hates everything. help.

Can you elaborate on that?

Flag Post

1) In the newest version after making use of the effect layers multiple times it sometimes stops resetting the effect layers of the walls when pressing esc :P

2) It would be nice if the bottle(items) would break like a bottle isntead like 5 differently colored parts of a bottle glued together :I(for example if you hid the floor hard enough with the bottum of the bottle it just only loses the green bit instead of going more for shattering irregularly.)

3) wooden objects(boxes, chairs, tables) seem more rigid than wood, you can’t break them with as much ease as you maybe should. you can hit them hard with a large warhammer a numerous times without them being affected. Even trying to break them with a fire axe will end up with both the object and the fireaxe breaking as it fianlly sucseeds. Crowbars, which are made for opening boxes, are virtually useless in doing just that.

4) sometimes(not sure what causes this though) when objects are cut they create additional mass

5) you can not reconfigure or find(outside of the tutorial) the rotate controll

6) frying pans reset their effect layer when flipped

7) fire extuingishers seem to have practically no effect on fire or very little and it is easier to just use water on fire.

8) if you upsize buckets and have them activated the recoil(or whatever it is) is enough to move them up and through the room.

9) liquid emitting guns(water, fire, paint) don’t seem to upsize their output when upsized, whereas regular guns have bigger bullets on bigger sizes.

10) altering the size of potatos is glitchy and they tend to move out of the screen boundries.

11) I miss a simple object from the original: chains

12) if you set upsized syringe to healing mode their tip is mislocated

Flag Post

can you make way to stitch parts back on the doll otherwise the body parts are useless

Flag Post
Originally posted by deathoffire:

can you make way to stitch parts back on the doll otherwise the body parts are useless

You can use joints (press “U” to select the joint tool) then connect a body part to the ragdoll. If the ragdoll is dead, then you can use the medkit (press f and click on it to activate it).
For example let’s say that I have destroyed completely the head of a ragdoll. I will spawn a new head, attach it to the corpse,
(wow) then I will use medkit on it, if it do not get up after that.
Anyway I would suggest to play the tutorial, it explains everything much better than I do ^^ . It is faster than waiting someone to reply :D

Flag Post

Looking for a few people who want to help create items for MaD2. Please PM me via my profile here on Kong if interested.

Flag Post

1) I’d really love it if the medkit and healing systems were elaborated more, such as being able to allow a ragdoll with no legs to stand on some new, freshly-stitched, freshly healed legs.

2) The scale tool loves to glitch and make everything a weird and extremely small size when they spawn.

3) I liked the ragdoll standing physics in MaD 1 :P

Flag Post

Except that in mad 1 if you sew people in half their upper bodies floated up faster than balloons

Flag Post

Smallish patch with some fixes to object scaling, and three four objects I forgot to include in the list before. Patch notes in second post of the thread.

Booster – Greatly boosts speed of any object that passes through it.

Conduit In – Catches and pulls an object towards it.

Conduit Out – Catches and pushes an object away from it.

Repelfield – Negates the speed of any object hitting it.

Here is an example level showcasing the new items.