Operation Eisberg

123 posts

Flag Post

Betriebs Operation Eisberg’ is German for ‘Operation Iceberg’… this thread is about the achievement in Pandemic: American Swine of the same name (in English, not German, BTW). Does anyone have any idea how to obtain this achievement? I have a feeling it has something to do with nukes and Canada, from the name and the picture for the achievement, but I’m not really sure… again, any idea how to get it?

EDIT: Oh wow, 1500th post. I should probably say ‘This is Sparta!’ five times for reaching such a postly stage, but on the other hand, that would waste time and space, so I won’t. Besides, once is enough, probably. ]:|

EDITEDIT: I was wrong… it turns out ‘Betriebs’ is not German for ‘Operation’… I have changed the title to what it should be now, ‘Operation Eisberg’. Thanks for pointing out the error, guys!

Flag Post
Originally posted by BCLEGENDS:

‘Betriebs-Eisberg’ is German for ‘Operation Iceberg’…

No it isn’t. Don’t rely on extremely bad Internet translation programs if you want to sound clever.

Flag Post

And how exactly would you know?

Flag Post

“Betriebs-Eisberg” doesn’t mean “Operation Iceberg”. And i know that because I am German

Flag Post

Alright, what IS Operation Iceberg in German then?

Flag Post

simply “Operation Eisberg” (Operation is also a german word, it’s just pronounced in an other way)

Flag Post

Alright then… thanks for telling me that. Now, back on topic… does anyone have any idea how to get the Operation Iceberg achievement in Pandemic: American Swine?

Flag Post

No.I think it might have something to do with the neutron bomb though.

Flag Post

Hmm… well, if anyone else knows how to get Operation Iceberg, do tell.

Flag Post

According to the high scores list, nobody has fulfilled Operation Iceberge yet, so evidently it’s not something one can stumble on accidentally. So I’ve tried a few specific feats to see if they worked. They didn’t, but here’s a list for process of elimination:

I won a game on Extreme difficulty with each transparency setting.
I won a game on Extreme difficulty with each victory condition.
I won a game on Extreme difficulty after dropping a nuclear bomb on three cities.
I lost a game on Normal difficulty with each loss condition.

None of these fulfilled the Operation Iceberge achievement. I’d be interested to know what things other people have tried. Neutron bombs? Something with timing? Nuking every city?

Flag Post

It’s not Iceberge in – game. At least, I don’t think it is… I read it as Iceberg, so…

Flag Post

Ah, you’re right. Interesting. I could swear it used to be “Iceberge”. Maybe it was a typo and got fixed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ThirdParty:

None of these fulfilled the Operation Iceberge achievement. I’d be interested to know what things other people have tried. Neutron bombs? Something with timing? Nuking every city?

I suspect it’s the last one; Operation iceberg suggests a connection to nuclear winter. It’s also somewhat hard to pull off, given how much of a panic penalty nukes give off. You basically have to have enough money for 14 nukes + censor and nuke everything at once.

Flag Post

Huh. You really think that’ll work?
Actually, it makes sense, since there IS a picture of a nuke on the achievement itself… I reckon you’re probably right!

Flag Post

I’ve tried nuking every city on normal government normal virus and it doesn’t unlock the trophy. (I didn’t win that game, but I’m not sure you can win while nuking every city.)

Flag Post

I tried nuking everything and nothing happened.

Re: the picture — do you know what those faces on the left and right are supposed to be? The “91” might refer to the 91 years since the last big pandemic. The picture probably has some clue.

Flag Post

Maybe you are supposed to neutron bomb everything,not nuke.

Flag Post

I won after nuking every city on Normal difficulty with closed government. Still no Operation Iceberg achievement. Maybe it has to be done on Extreme difficulty?

Maybe we’re on the wrong track entirely. Has anybody tried winning without researching the vaccine?

I read the “91” as an upsidedown “16”, but it still doesn’t mean anything to me. (There are only 14 cities.) The faces look like basic “comedy” style drama masks, which also doesn’t mean anything to me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ThirdParty:

I won after nuking every city on Normal difficulty with closed government. Still no Operation Iceberg achievement. Maybe it has to be done on Extreme difficulty?

Maybe we’re on the wrong track entirely. Has anybody tried winning without researching the vaccine?

I read the “91” as an upsidedown “16”, but it still doesn’t mean anything to me. (There are only 14 cities.) The faces look like basic “comedy” style drama masks, which also doesn’t mean anything to me.

As ktrout42 mentioned, it’s been 91 years since the last big pandemic (the Spanish flu). Maybe figure out a way to play pandemic 2?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Nicholas98:

Maybe you are supposed to neutron bomb everything,not nuke.

nuking is gone Xd

Flag Post

Hmm… I know everyone said that nuking is out of the question, but is there some possibility that you’d have to do it within a certain time limit? Like, say, ten or fifteen days? Maybe the date you see at the beginning, before the game itself starts, has something to do with it…

Flag Post

Just throwing it out there, in wikipedia:

The Battle of Okinawa, also known as Operation Iceberg, was fought on the Ryukyu Islands of Okinawa and was the largest amphibious assault in the Pacific Theater of World War II.

I have no idea how that might be relevant but who someone’s has more smarts that I.

Flag Post

how does this sound.
defeat the flu in 16 or 91 days on hardest mode

Flag Post

It’s not possible to get this achievement currently.

Flag Post

one other (lame) possibility: has anybody beaten the game in every mode/difficulty?