Worst Game Ever?

51 posts

Flag Post

Big Rigs…what to say about it. This video sums it up better than words ever will:

http://www.gamespot.com/video/919220/6086530/big-rigs-over-the-road-racing-video-review

So i ask you…Is this the worst game of all time?

Flag Post

Two words.

E. T.

Flag Post

Quest 64

Flag Post

Um, it was an old game from the 80’s I think… a Teenage Mutant Ninja Brothers game. Don’t remember what it was called.

Flag Post

Bubsy 3D

Flag Post

Big Rigs has got to be the worst. Even though a bunch of people will say E.T. is bad, Big Rigs is still even worse. Why? E.T. actually had a goal and AI. Big Rigs however, you could do whatever you want! You can even go off the map or reverse until you reach 1000000mph! It’s the game with no boundaries!

Flag Post

Fancy pants.

Flag Post

A game with no boundaries and no limits vs E.T.? E.T. fails.

Flag Post

SUPERMAN 64

/thread

Flag Post

E.T.

Flag Post

Uh, yeah, sorry guys, but E.T. for the 2600 is pretty much considered the worst commercial game of all time. It’s possible (though unlikely) that Big Rigs is worse on a gameplay standpoint alone, but when you consider how many millions of copies were created for E.T., and how few sold, and how many of those were returned for refunds, and how millions of copies are now buried in a New Mexico desert, and how E.T. was arguably a major cause of the video game market crash of 1983, I have to side with E.T. It’s literally no exaggeration when people say the best part of the game was the title screen (which admittedly had very good graphics for the 2600).

And did someone say E.T. had AI? Are you considering the pits to be intelligent or something?

Flag Post

oh come on, at least Big Rigs has speed almost like Sonic. E.T fails in not having speed.

Flag Post

I think the difference is Big Rigs is so bad it’s funny. E.T. is so bad that it went beyond funny and back to bad. It’s pure frustration. I mean, come on. If a game actually makes you want to kill E.T., that’s pretty freakin’ bad.

Ahem (for the record, I watched this muted – I’m not sure what the sound track is like in this movie):

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nk4vXhG2nOY&amp;hl=en" width="425" height="355"></embed>

Flag Post

ok ok E.T. may be the worst game ever. XP But a game with no boundaries or real matter can’t be too far behind. I mean c’mon, the opponent doesn’t move, and when you somehow find the finish line it says “Your Winner!” leaving you to do nothing but take out the disk or turn off the computer.

Flag Post

big rigs is pretty bad.
..but the video proves it
E.T. takes the cake.
and your happiness.

Flag Post

I agree with Quest 64. oh my god did that game suck. ET is at least entertaining. Quest 64 looked cool at first, 4 different elements to choose from, spells that sounded awesome…then you try to play it….where the hell am i? run around for 3 hours wow i made it out of that damn castle, with some items to boot! runs outside and fights stuff damn when does this road end….(2 hours later) DAMNIT I HATE MONSTERS…..found the castle! runs around town for 3 hours wait so i need to go in that forest i passed on the way over? DAMN. walks to forest WOAH WHAT THE HELL. those are some freaky looking monsters. WHY DO MY SPELLS SUCK. walk around for 5 hours i found the boss! WHAT THE HELL I DIED. that totally isn’t fair. theres no way to beat him. levels up for 17 hours alright i totally am going to kill him now. kills boss alright now where do i go? uhhhhhhhh. walks around forest oh look a gate out. WHAT THE HELL MORE ROAD.

etc.

i actually made it all the way through that game. oh my lord did the end suck YOU WIN SCREEN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. damn you launch game!

seriously I would play ET over that Quest 64 any day.

Flag Post

Oh, I never said Big Rigs doesn’t suck. I watched that video and it was…amazing. I actually did some research because I thought you had fallen for an April Fools joke or something. Surely nothing could be that bad…

To me though, ET is a terrible game and has a tremendous history associated with it, and I think that’s why it deserves the crown. I’m sad (or happy, I suppose) that I’ve never tried Quest 64. It sounds like quite an impressive feat in its own right. :) However, ET was not entertaining. It just made you want to tear your hair out, and not in a good way either.

Flag Post

Try an emulator for Q64.

also, this page will make playing ET much more enjoyable.
manual

Flag Post

Pulse Racer for the X-BOX.

Flag Post

E.T. is a good adventure game which is unfairly maligned by emulator kiddies who haven’t read the manual or bothered how to play along with the stigma of Atari’s overproduction of the cartridge. In an age where licensed games usually meant a single screen maze title or a shooter, pumping out an adventure game was a bold move to be commended, particularly with such a big license which probably should have gone the safer, less imaginative route. Sure, the game was rushed a bit and could stand some tweaking, but E.T. has a very playable quest with a distinct goal and ending.

Anyway, rant out the way, obviously the “Worst Game Ever!” is probably some freeware or bootleg tripe that’d make Dark Castle (Genesis) or Back to the Future (NES) look brilliant. Still, for me, it’s Mario 64, due to its great negative impact on the industry. Mario 64 in one fell swoop essentially killed 2-D platformers and 2-D games in general. It also convinced the public that large, sparse environments with a handful of non-threatening enemies and collectathon item gathering is worthwhile gameplay. Gone was enjoyment and challenge in place of tedious exploration and time consuming fetch quests. :/

Flag Post

Fully agreed with MrDomino who brings up some really good arguements with both ET and mario 64. Mario 64 did indeed mess with the public’s opinion of 2-d games, ghosts and ghouls was an extremely challenging platformer comparatively to Mario 64. I still think Quest 64 was worse. at least mario 64 had a better plotline and things to do :/

Flag Post

Wow, I have to severely disagree with you here, Domino. I fail to see how being the first entry in a new genre of games makes it a bad game. There’s nothing wrong with 3D adventure games, and while I do in many cases prefer 2D games, you can’t fault Mario 64 for being so compelling that the public demanded more. I respect your willingness to make a bold and unpopular claim, but I’m not buying it yet. :)

Flag Post

Maybe you didn’t read his post well enough. basically, mario 64 WAS NOT DIFFICULT, no real accomplishment to complete the game fully, its incredibly hard to die 90% of the time in that game, comparing it to the precursor to maximo(ghosts and goblins series), which you could die at every step, you didn’t have crazy amounts of health, only armor. you didn’t have to spend time to “100%” the game. getting 100% in a game like mario 64 was no real achievement, thats what he is saying. He also said that mario 64 killed off the want for any real challenge among the public, who became more geared at running around collecting crap for hours rather then trying to get through the game. Play super Ghosts n ghouls and realize how ridiculously easy mario 64 is, and how 99% of games after that(besides maximo) are insanely easy. Even knowing what to do in the ghosts n goblins series did not make it easy to beat a stage, just strait up skill.

THAT is the argument. compelling? more liek easy amirite?

Flag Post

I’m going to say Big Rigs is the absolute worst.

Worse than ET by a long shot. ET is actually playable if you actually bothered to read the manual. Pretty bad, still, but better than Big Rigs.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/919220/6111952/frightfully-bad-games

Flag Post

jttheghost, are you sure that it “killed off” the desire for things like Battletoads and Ghosts and Goblins? It seems to me more likely that, if anything, what Mario 64 did was expand the market, letting people who didn’t want difficult games in the first place play something they enjoyed. After all, it did really well; clearly not everyone wants the punishing difficulty of Ghosts and Goblins.

Also, I’d disagree that Quest 64 was worse than ET. I’ve never understood why there’s so much hate for the game; I played it way back when, and it was a reasonable RPG. It wasn’t especially challenging, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say that it’s the worst game ever when we’ve already got Big Rigs and ET.

If we’re going for worst game on this site, though, I’d have to say it’s Starfighter. Not because it’s especially bad, but because the gulf between what it could have been and what it is is so large. It was obviously inspired by Escape Velocity; why not borrow a few gameplay elements that would make it an actually good game?