Elona Shooter: Hardcore Mode, the 100

36 posts

Flag Post
This guide will get you to at least level 40. I actually downloaded the game and tested about 500 different strategies. This seems to be the most anti 'luck' based one available. Each player uses different weapons and uses different mods. Every (but 1) party skill. And a few other knick knacks.

*Read at the bottom for funny side notes on the way, and reaching 100 / Hardcore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Classes to Pick
B. Why to Pick Those Classes
C. Skills: in order of importance
D. Brief Coverage of Menus
E. How To Spend Money
F. What Is Next?
G. Quick Rundown of everything…
h. Random Crapes
I. Conclusion

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Classes to Pick

1. Hunter
2. Militia
3. Sheriff
4. Rogue

B. Why to Pick Those Classes

1. Hunter:
    A. Gun: Bowgun
    B. Setup: Hero Mode
    C. Why? Massive damage. The highest dps of any class. And Breeder.

2. Militia:
    A. Gun: Gravity Gun
    B. Setup: Fire at Will
    C. Why? MK-8+ with 2 lvl 3 damage mods, lvl 10 Villa, Da Bomb = 1200 per hit.

3. Sheriff:
    A. Gun: Auto Shotgun w/ Reload + Ammo
    B. Setup: Defense, Fire at Will
    C. Why? Crowd Control. Damage means nothing from this class.

4. Rogue:
    A. Gun: Laser Pistol
    B. Setup: Defense, Attack in Range.
    C. Why? Fill in the gaps. Active, Threat, Negotiator are all very important skills.

C. Skills: in order of importance

1. Hunter
    A. Penetration
    B. Rifle
    C. Breeder
    D. Anti Armor (Isn't showing, might have been removed from hunter skills 12/5/09)
    E. Cook
    F. Engineer
    G. You Pick

Militia
    A. Big Gun
    B. Da Bomb
    C. Reloading
    D. Love
    E. You Pick

Sheriff
    A. Dock Holiday
    B. Defender
    C. Leadership
    C. You Pick

Rogue
    A. Active
    B. Threat
    C. Negotiator
    D. Your Pick

D. Brief Coverage of Menus (quick and dirty… you want reasons why / why not read the other 500 cluttered guides)

1. INN mission
    A. Pray: 2 AP, Not worth it unless you have 2 extra junk AP.
    B. Have Dinner: 3 AP, Eat a lot. Once you have at least A. B. and C. of each class then you can cut back.
    C. Go Searching: 1 AP, Don't use past 30 w/o Quick. There is a cash glitch: you steal 150g, but are robbed for 3k (Hopefully Bugged as of 12/5/09.)
    D. Party: 3 AP, crucial for Hardcore past level 30. Better then Dinner if you are low on AP.
    E. Collect eggs: 1 AP, = win. Pairs well with partying and dinner.
    F. Taunt: 2 AP, Just say no! If you are pillaging that's great, just say no!
    G. Trainer: 4 AP, Just say no! Tested 100 trained skills, got 2 I actually needed. 400 AP for 2 skills…
    H. Claim Title: 4 AP, Like it, Love it, Gotta have it. Only Party has priority over this.

2. Tower upgrade! (Wall, Sandbag, Storage, Repairman cost upkeep! So don't overkill one over another early game)
    A. Fix Wall: Try to use Free Repair when the cost is over 200 early levels.
    B. Wall: Good stuff. Anti Suicide Bombers.
    C. Sandbag: Must have for level 60+.
    D. Storage: Buy 2 per 10 levels.
    E. House: Must have level 3 house by 20 or failboat.
    F: Looter: Doesn't do anything. (Broken as of 12/5/09.)
    G. Repairman: Good in moderation. rule of thumb 1 per 20 levels.
    H. Trainer: Love this skill. Usually buy up to level 5 fast. Then drop it.
    I. Smith: Buy a couple quick. Then when extra cash is available.
    J. Museum: Gives gold per reward. Each level past 1 only gives an extra 30% reward.
    K. Chicken: Tastes good!
    L. Sister: Smells bad!
    M. Villa: Rule of thumb 1 per 10 levels.
    N. SP. Trainer: Junk!
    O. N/A: Placeholder (not used at this time.)
    P. N/A: Placeholder (not used at this time.)

E. How To Spend Money

*You have to look at the math to really understand why you want to spend money, and where.*

1. Level 2 Repairmen: Right away buy up to level 2 repairmen. Then after level 60 start grinding this up again. Late levels have 5-7 waves. Each level gives 10-14 more wall health. If your wall costs 4k to level and a repairmen costs 1700 it's an obvious choice.

A Factors:     Level 2 = 1650g
                Repair/Point = 8g
                Repaired/Level = 8

8 x 8g = 64g per level saved
                1650 / 64 = 26 levels to pay off

2. 30 Chickens: This with Breeder gives roughly 400-900g each round for 1 AP. Nothing really compares when it relates to 'income / cost ratio.' Also searching in town later will give you chickens. If you search town early and get chickens, then you have to spend more to buy chickens. IE you buy chickens to level 10, and search for another 20. The chickens cost you 20-50g a piece at that level. If you search for 20 chickens, then buy 10 they will cost 150-250g a piece because you already found 20. Make sense? No? Sounds good. Just buy 30 chickens.

3. Museum: 1 point. That's it. If you have all the rewards except hardcore it will give you about 230g. This pays itself off in 8 rounds. Each point thereafter only gives an additional 50ish gold. And costs more. So 2500 / 50 = 50 levels to pay off. (This ratio actually needs to be fixed badly. It doesn't make any sense at all.)

4. Walls: If you have 10 AP and are getting luck with wall upgrades while searching town then this might not be as important. But you want about 2 wall upgrades per 10 levels or equivalent. Level 50 you should have at least 40 + [(2 x 5) x 5] = 90. Level 100,  40 + [(2 x 10) x 5] = 140. Upgrading your Walls by buying them per 5 is just silly. It costs something stupid like 20k to upgrade from 130-135. This is why searching the town is so important with Quick Eyed.

5. Villa: After level 50, weapon upgrades start costing way too much. Upgrading a weapon from 8 - 9 costs the same as a level 5 villa. Would you prefer 8 base damage on a weapon, or 50% damage upgrade? Not a hard choice if you think about it. You want about 1 point in Villa per 10 levels. I usually buy 3-5 levels of Villa between levels 30-50. Then 1 per 10 levels thereafter.

6. 15 Sisters: If you actually have level 10 Love on your Militia then this actually becomes profitable per level. 15 sisters will give 825g per level. Past level 15 they will take over 30 levels to pay off and are no longer profitable.

F. What Is Next?

This information should easily lead you to 40+ if you are good at playing games. You need to be very careful as well when reading other guides. There is a lot of miss information out there. I will try to keep checking on this to see if anything in the game has changed. For getting past 100 this game is not really of interest to me anymore.

G. Quick Rundown of everything…

1. Get two repairmen
    2. 30 Chickens
    3. Level 8 Rifle
    4. Upgrade Gun
    5. Buy Militia, Rogue, Sheriff in-between this and have all before level 25
    6. Start over 100 times if it takes you to get a 4 slot bow.
    7. Try to only use grails for suicide waves.
    8. Screw your team. You need your skills leveled first. Any guide that tells you otherwise is stupid. Your DPS = your buddies x 10.
    9. Museum 1 point!
    10. Sell your buddies if they aren't getting the right skill.
    11. Engineer only applies when you put a mod on a weapon. It has no effect on mods already on weapons. IE you beef the crap out of your weapon THEN level engineering, it won't have the bonus from the skill.
    12. Do the math on walls, repairmen, Villa, Weapon Upgrades, and Sandbags. One is cheaper and gives a greater benefit! Which one is it? Do the math!
    13. Stock up on grenades for boss levels. I can usually squeeze 3 levels if I can kill every boss.
    14. 30-70 is the hardest. There is a lot of random things that happen. Just be on your toes.
    15. Have fun!

H. Random Crapes

A. Got to level 100 with / with out
        1. No Quick Eyed and several other random skills with 50+ levels unfocused… lawl?
        2. Finished with these weapons (and faked 80-100 for the most part)
            a. MK-8 Bowgun: 4 slot, Autofire, Fire Rate x2, Damage
            b. MK-6 Gravity Gun: 2 slot, Damage x2
            c. MK-2 Auto Shotgun: 4 slot, Ammo x 2, Reload, Fire Rate
            d. MK-2 Laser Pistil: 2 slot, Fire Rate x 2
        3. Didn't see a suicide wave from 76-98
        4. 0 Leech Mod drops. Only saw 1-2 in the smith which were level 1.
        5. Dismissed sheriff after 60 levels because he never trained Doc Holiday.
        6. Canned my rogue after 70 days because he never trained Negotiator.
        7. Statistics
            a. 600k GP earned
            b. 17 perfect games
            c. 3000 eggs collected
            d. 21k enemies killed
            e. Exploded 709 sisters
            f. Robbed 57 kids!
        9. Bought the right weapon per class, whored villa, then bought a MK-8 version later on.
        10. If you can't make it past level 50 after a good amount of attempts just play something else.

I. Conclusion

Like I said I downloaded the game and went though a ton of variations and even with rigging the system still had difficulties from 50-70 level. Sadly I finished most of this while going from level 95-100 because my Militia was doing 1000+ damage per tick on enemies and the auto shotty was knocking back half the map for about 20 seconds.

The game is very unbalanced and it's obvious on later levels. I shouldn't be glued to my seat with my eyeballs popping out of my head at level 50 and eating dinner from levels 80 and up. Once you get the weapons from (H. A. 2.) and use villa every round and the game is a joke. If you don't get those weapons (and have horrible luck on skills) just start over. You should have an MK-8 bow by 50 with 4 slots. If not start over. If not… Start over… You will be HOPING for a weapon to pop and most likely it wont. Then you get to 80 and burn. From 50-80 takes 2x as long as 1-50.

Flag Post

Just a small question. In some parts of your walkthrough you mention some things such as the “looter being broken as of 12/5/09” and in skills of importance the possibility of the anti-armor skill being removed as of the same above date. Does that mean that there was another update recently and that noanoa didn’t post it on here or was it because you started to notice those things starting to happen around that time?

Flag Post

On the looter, it’s posted on several guides floating around. I put a lot of cash into it on my hunter (day 15x) to test and saw 0 difference in loot for about 10 levels. I also had problems with scavenger. I definitely didn’t see a 30% drop rate of items like the skill states. It might be a 30% increase but I even doubt that.

As for the Anti Armor several sites say it’s a skill trainable for hunters but it seems to be either removed, or was never there. Kinda like a bad rumor that kept going. Most likely some dingbat trained it with a Special Trainer and thought it was a base skill. ie the skill sense… If anti armor pops up by all means get it but, I leveled a hunter to 150 casual, 100 hardcore, and 30-70 hardcore (about 50 times) and never saw it as trainable.

Flag Post

I should double-check, but I think that my Sheriff in my HC game has the Anti Armor skill. Which is useless, given he uses an autoshottie.

Flag Post

my hunter has it dude… so it does exist…
another thing… u say to get bow, not bowgun, fix that…
another thing… dont u think that the auto bowgun with more damage modifiers is better than the normal bowgun with reload one? or not… i dont know…
getting capable skill level 1 and 2 fast is nice too so you can upgrade the skills you want more focusedly
having impact mods into the auto shot gun is much better than having the ammo one as it will make monsters fly the whole field with 3 shots…
also i think that reloading is more important than da bomb for militia as it will make you shoot with twice the normal speed with a few levels in it, while da bomb will get 50% more damage
last thing… what about trading the militia for a ranger as it has some very nice party skills?

congratulations… its a great guide, the community will use it a lot!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Humenbean:D. Anti Armor (Isn’t showing, might have been
removed from hunter skills 12/5/09)

Just got Anti Armor in my first options going from lvl 1 – lvl 2 on my hunter.

Flag Post

I’d have to delete the whole post :o It’s only 1 type.

It works on the %s. Damage on a 13 base damage rapid bow only gives an extra like 3 damage… on a regular bowgun it goes from 80-115… Even if the rapid fired 5x as fast it would still do less damage.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vench:

my hunter has it dude… so it does exist…

another thing… u say to get bow, not bowgun, fix that…

another thing… dont u think that the auto bowgun with more damage modifiers is better than the normal bowgun with reload one? or not… i dont know…

getting capable skill level 1 and 2 fast is nice too so you can upgrade the skills you want more focusedly

having impact mods into the auto shot gun is much better than having the ammo one as it will make monsters fly the whole field with 3 shots…

also i think that reloading is more important than da bomb for militia as it will make you shoot with twice the normal speed with a few levels in it, while da bomb will get 50% more damage

last thing… what about trading the militia for a ranger as it has some very nice party skills?

congratulations… its a great guide, the community will use it a lot!

If you mean the bow gun and rapid bow gun, then no. The bowgun with firing rate modifiers does more dps than the rapid bowgun with damage modifiers, and it means you don’t waste the firing rate increase from the Autofire mod, AND it means you can save your damage mods for other weapons (e.g. gravity guns).

Also as far as I can tell, Special Trainer only gives you class skills. I don’t know how this misinformation started. Perhaps someone used a class for a long playthrough, then on another playthrough used trainer and got a skill they hadn’t seen before; and assumed it was a non-class skill (when really they didn’t get it before by chance)

Flag Post

Explode, the problem is I have played a total of 500ish levels as a hunter and have never seen anti armor. I even stretched my level 150 hunter to 200 just to see if it would pop up concerning I can auto play at that point. Bad luck? Maybe… But other people are saying they have gotten it. Can someone post a screen shot with level 10 anti armor? Not just level 1?

Flag Post

Nice guide. Just have one question, do I upgrade house to two before repairmen 2?

Flag Post

Also, my starter weapon was 4 slots, hunter’s bow gun. Should I upgrade that or wait for a higher MK?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Celidion:

Also, my starter weapon was 4 slots, hunter’s bow gun. Should I upgrade that or wait for a higher MK?

4 is very, very good – keep it for now. The chances of getting a 5 or 6 slots are really, really slim anyway.
Remember too put only level 3 mods in the first three slots. Or even better, keep the level 3 mods you want to keep permanent until you get an NPC with Engineer level 10 – I assume you know that, when you upgrade a gun, the RIGHTMOST mod (that is, the last one you built in) will be removed. So, you can put three level 3 mods, and add a dummy level 1 mod right before upgrading to keep your precious level 3 mods in-between upgrades.

Flag Post

Thanks, also I had the worst thing happen to me. I was had all 3 allies, with gravity gun and laser pistol. At day 13 I forgot to use henchmen, I’m pissed because gravity gun never sold that early for me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Humenbean:

Explode, the problem is I have played a total of 500ish levels as a hunter and have never seen anti armor. I even stretched my level 150 hunter to 200 just to see if it would pop up concerning I can auto play at that point. Bad luck? Maybe… But other people are saying they have gotten it. Can someone post a screen shot with level 10 anti armor? Not just level 1?

You are aware that there’s a limit to the amount of different skills you can have? You only have 18 slots for skills and 3 of those are taken for your class skill, base teamwork and base aiming leaving you only 15 skill slots to work with. Less if you’ve unlocked a few others you automatically start with with certain medals. At level 150-200 I presume they’d all be filled already.

Flag Post

ferrinic, I’ve played to HC 40 some ridiculous amount of times. Either I have bad luck, The skill is bugged, or it has a horrible chance of showing up.

To squash this, if you can get anti armor then get it… that is one of the best skills to have late game.

As for the 4 slot bow, if you get one early game then slowly upgrade. You will waste about 20k but by level 100 you will have earned over 500k so 20k is nothing. Just make sure you plan on doing one of the following…

1. Put junk mods on it to get it going IE auto fire lvl 1 damage 2 etc etc. Then around level 30 save up cash to clear all the junky mods by leveling it 4 times in a row. This only works though if you have Active because using a stock bow for 4 rounds will likely wipe you.

2. level 1 and level 3 auto fire have a very small difference in how much speed they add. Use a level 1 Auto Fire Mod and then wait until you get level 3 damage or rof mods. This can be risky because level 3 mods don’t drop regularly until 50+. If you have Quick Eyed this there is a good chance you will get some level 2/3 mods before 50 but they are usually reload junk and ammo…

3. Use it, put junk mods on it, and save any level 3 mods you get. If a nice bow pops up that is several levels higher then yours buy it and use the level mods. If it’s only a 3 slot it’s no big deal. I used a bow that wasn’t upgraded from level 4x to get me to 100.

Once you get an MK-8 bow with 3-4 slots you should start investing in partying for your damage. Instead of going from 80 base damage to 86 you go from 80 base damage to 88. As of which is cheaper to upgrade… Once you hit party level 6-8 then upgrading your bow might be cheaper but at the cost of giving your allies 10% more damage…

So! MK-8 then party to 8-10 then back to the bow to 10 if you want and it is an EASY option. After the bow is mk-10 the upgrade cost is just silly. You would have to have level 15 party in order to justify the bow upgrade before party upgrading again.

Flag Post

Thought I’d bring this one back up from the dead after someone made a post about beating the 100 and it was pretty much the same thing I posted with less detail.

Flag Post

I found it very hard to get off the ground with this strategy. The trouble I’m having is not having enough crowd control to deal with big waves. I even had the team by day 13 but the enemies kept getting attacks in. Would you have any tips for the birds, axes, or suicides? The bowgun doesn’t seem fast/precise enough to deal with birds and suicides. The axes rage on most of the shots which makes them tough. Do you keep a rifle for those guys or did you find a way to kill them?

Also do you know why/when the arrows pass through some enemies. The human enemies especially seem to have a spot that arrows don’t hit, how do you play around that? This stuff could be because I’m used to the sheriff I played, but it seems like a hard start to me.

Flag Post

It’s really hard to manage the bowgun yourself. Ironically it’s one of the few weapons NPCs are better off with, since they fire exactly when they reload. I always had trouble getting into the rhythm of when it reloaded, so I was always slow with it. If you get around that problem with auto-fire mods, then your accuracy will be in the tank after 5 shots. Henchmen don’t have that problem, they just keep pumping out shots like mad with near perfect accuracy.

Another reason you don’t want to control it yourself is because bowgun is terrible against suicide bombers. Half the time the arrow will go right through them without doing damage, and you usually need 2 hits to kill it to begin with. The first 10+ suicide wave that comes along (usually between waves 10-15) will sink you for sure, since your teammates won’t be able to kill them in time and you won’t either.

Bowgun is also very weak against the Barbarian chargers. Arrows have a VERY hard time hitting them, and for my money they’re one of the most dangerous enemies.

For these reasons I’m a big proponent of going Sheriff.

Flag Post

You can mostly hold down the fire button with the bowgun. All you need to do to make it fire at the maximum rate is let go of the mouse button briefly after each shot (unclick, if you like).

Doing this does NOT reduce accuracy like the autofire mod.

Autofire mod is nice, because it’s like a fire rate mod too, and those are rare… but right at the start when accuracy is low, it isn’t worth it.

Flag Post

Thanks for the excellent guide. It took me a couple of tries to get a good start, but once I got everything you outlined in the first twenty days, it was smooth sailing to day 100. Final stats:

Finished with these weapons (and took your advice and ate dinner during rounds 87-93)
a. MK-13 Bowgun: Autofire3
b. MK-5 Gravity Gun: Leech3, Dmg3, Leech1
c. MK-9 Auto Shotgun: Dmg1, A-Armor2
d. MK-10 Laser Pistol: Dmg3
I replaced most of my guns in the last 20 days because I found high level ones, and I figured more damage was better than mod slots.

Statistics
a. 650k GP earned
b. 27 perfect games (Four of those were in the last 10 days, including day 100 :P)
c. 3161 eggs collected
d. 20k enemies killed
e. Exploded 478 sisters
f. Robbed 181 kids!
g. Ragnarok 3 times

Flag Post

I think the looter does work, but it doesn’t do what you think it does. It does not increase drop rate of loot, or even the quality of loot, but increases the loot’s VALUE. If you read the description it says it does exactly that. I put a few points into it, and I think that it is right. Guns and the random crap (statues) all sell for more in the shop. Not much more, mind you, I don’t know if it is cost effective, but it is not broken…. I think.

Flag Post

Response to hard start: Sadly the bowgun takes a good amount of skill to use. You need to understand how fast things move and when you will have to shoot them. If your aim is above 90% then air, axe, and suicide should not be a problem until 40+ when you have 15+ suicide bombers on the screen at once.

Response to Arrows not working: this is just a glitch that can’t be fixed (supposedly) The axemen have a blank hitbox around their torso so try the feet if there are too many of them.

Response to controlling a bowgun: Please try not to leave two paragraphs of bad information. You should never have an npc with a bowgun. They will take forever to get the right skills, max out shotgun and smallgun for no reason, and their reload time is incredibly nerfed. Sorry but you are completely wrong. Also they are not weak against axemen. It is a glitch, and you just have to aim at their feet or head.

Response to Auto Fire Mod early game: Auto Fire increase your overall dps by about 20-40%. Lets try to keep good information in this thread. You are not a robot so firing at exactly 1.3 seconds every time is inhuman. Auto Fire is the first thing you should pray to the gods for. Also after about 1 million clicks your finger is raw. And you are wrong as well with the accuracy. If you perfectly shoot the bow at exactly 1.3 seconds each time your accuracy will match the auto fire mod. sigh. More bad info!

Response to Engineman: thanks!

Response to looter: It’s broken, tested, and broken. And tested again, and still broken. It does not increase drop rate, items value, or sell price.

Flag Post

Response to Auto Fire Mod early game: Auto Fire increase your overall dps by about 20-40%. Lets try to keep good information in this thread. You are not a robot so firing at exactly 1.3 seconds every time is inhuman. Auto Fire is the first thing you should pray to the gods for. Also after about 1 million clicks your finger is raw. And you are wrong as well with the accuracy. If you perfectly shoot the bow at exactly 1.3 seconds each time your accuracy will match the auto fire mod. sigh. More bad info!

Actually, as I stated very clearly in my post, you CAN fire at maximum rate without the auto-fire mod. All you need to do is let go of the mouse button briefly immediately after each dart leaves the gun. And while you are holding down fire, your targeting reticule decreases in size, becoming more accurate. If you hold down fire with auto-fire mod, your targeting reticule remains at maximum size all of the time. The slight increase in fire rate (maybe 8% or so, depending on what other mods you have and what level it is) is insufficient compensation for the increase in misses, no matter how skillful you are. When your dart can both miss above or below the enemy, no amount of aiming skill can compensate.

Flag Post

I agree with Mahayana mostly. Shotguns and Sheriff class are great for PC use since you don’t really have to aim, just click within like 1cm of the mobs and let Cripple Shot and knockback do their work.

@Humenbean: You’re just wrong about bowguns. Bowguns are glitchy against certain mobs and that is a weakness. There’s only one critical skill for bowguns, and also they don’t need to reload… Other than that, I haven’t done the math on buildings and such, but your OP info looks pretty solid. I personally wouldn’t dismiss a hireling past early game though, unless there was a replacement on the market with the critical skill(s) already and could use the same weapon the previous guy was using.

My final team was:
Sheriff (PC) with regular shotgun – Skills to get: Dr Holliday, Anti Armor, Cripple Shot, Fury, Leadership, Quick Eyed. Hold down the spacebar! With manual targeting and constant damage output, you won’t get caught with a wave of suicide bombers while you were otherwise busy reloading a combat/auto shotgun.
Ranger with gravity gun – For crowd control. Skills to get: Active (if Noble doesn’t get it), Breeder, Reloading, Da Bomb. Full party rage ability is much better than Militia’s grenades IMHO, since the grenades don’t do much damage compared to weapons.
Noble with regular bowgun – All-purpose damage dealer. Skills to get: Bow Master, Active (if Ranger doesn’t get it), Accountant, Anti Armor, Cool. Hunter is good too, trading class ability and Active for Breeder, Power Shot, Cripple Shot, Engineer.
Guardian with auto shotgun – Utility class – Defender, Threat, Disarm. Rogue might be a worthy contender for its money-making skills, putting Defender on the PC skill list instead.

Flag Post

First of all, great guide! (Y)

But about the repairman

1. Level 2 Repairmen: Right away buy up to level 2 repairmen. Then
after level 60 start grinding this up again. Late levels have 5-7
waves. Each level gives 10-14 more wall health. If your wall costs 4k
to level and a repairmen costs 1700 it’s an obvious choice.

A Factors:     Level 2 = 1650g

Repair/Point = 8g

Repaired/Level = 8

8 × 8g = 64g per level saved

1650 / 64 = 26 levels to pay off

You forgot that you spend 60 in income per level, so it would be something like this:

Level 2 = 1650g
Repair/Point = 8g
Repaired/Level = 8
Income level 2 = 60*2

8 × 8g = 64g per level saved
120 spent on upkeep
120 – 64 = 56g loss per round

I think that it would be advisable to get this only after lvl 15, since until that you won’t really need it…