Request for Feedback: mageDefense

8 posts

Flag Post

If anyone doens’t mind, could you try the control scheme for the game I’m working on. I have no idea if this can even turn into a decent game or not… I enjoy the indirect control scheme of controlling projectiles by making them follow you, but I’m not sure if the lack of direct control just ends up sloppy.
Thanks in advance!
http://majidesign.com/mageDefense/majiDefense.html

Flag Post

It’s a nice little twist, imho. But you need to make a more fast-paced atmosphere, maybe by increasing the projectile’s and the enemies’ speed.

Oh, and in order to make it successful, you’ll probably want lots of upgrades, different spells and types of enemies.

Flag Post

Thank you =^^=
Yeah, this was basically a proof-of-concept. I’ll play with speeding it up, and as far as upgrades and such go, I agree they’re a definite must.

I’m still debating between a level-based game (game freezes, menu pops up etc), or a kill-system where when you kill an enemy a soul or gem or similar pops out, which you can collect with your cursor. Then when you hover your cursor near a wizard or other spots on the screen, they’ll start to power up using the should… but I’m not sure if that’ll give the definite upgrade-reward achievement feeling that people enjoy. What do you think? I’d like to make it work to pull away from menu systems so that the game is perfectly smooth, but at the same time it just might be too much X.x

Flag Post

I can’t say if the control scheme works or not—another flaw needs to be adjusted, first. If the game creates targets faster than the mages can shoot, it’s a must-lose game.

Also, with so many targets in the air, the mage’s shots are going to have to hit something, which takes much of the point away from aiming.

Still, you might be on to something very good. Reducing the number of targets/shots might help greatly (after all, most humans have a difficult time thinking about more than about 7 things at once). The game shouldn’t force an inevitable loss too soon. Also, it should be possible to miss—shots that end up going off screen, shots that hit things they shouldn’t hit, etc.

Flag Post

Thanks harmless, I know the flash eventually makes too many enemies, its just a tech demo (I was also curious to see how many AS3 could keep track of before lagging). You are right though, I’ve been losing some sleep over how to make this interesting even though there is a distinct line betwen a winnable and must-lose game :(. I’m thinking I might have to introduce types of projectiles or similar so that the player has to make more intelligent decisions. That, or enemies that can only be damaged in specific spots so that the player has to make good shots (for example, a dragon whose belly is invulnerable, but shooting the wings makes it tumble helplessly to the ground below), that way the player can do well by not wasting shots like that.
Thank you for your input, but yeah, don’t worry, whats up now is only a tech-demo for the most part, a level/upgrade system is stiill in the works (when those are done, you should see it somewhere around kongregate ;)).
-Maji

Flag Post

I would definitely encourage you to go with level based play. That was one of my failings with Asteroids Revenge II, which I have solved for version III.

The demo is interesting I’ll be interested in seeing future versions of it. Your fish game was also fun to play around with.

:)

Adam

Flag Post

Haha, thank you =^^=
forgot about the fish game… its been like 6 months
I’ve done more thinking + your comments, I think I’ll go with level play… even though I was hoping for continuous play just because its easier to do (and this is my first AS3 project X.x)
Hopefully I can finish it before school starts back up…

Flag Post

If you want to have an continous play with an upgrading system maybe you should go with multiple thingies that randomly fall from enemies when they die, and so that the player can “pick” them up if he wishes, and to really spice it up you could have different kinds of thingies that when combined in a certain order produce a powerup to the mages. And it would be nice if, say, the mages could be moved in some manner. And you could do so that the enemies didn’t move in one direction only and maybe show-off bonuses by making them hard to catch (maybe so that they move away from the aim?). I think that a good-made continous game is gooder than a play-pause-play game, it is more likely that way that the game goes on your nerves and if so there is a probability that more players is going to play the game more often, and that thing about a dragon, that’s a really smart move actually. But in that case maybe the player shouldn’t have seen the last of the dragon once it have tumbled down? would be cool if it would kinda return and try a ground attack from the side or something. Anyway i’ll hope it’ll be a good game in the end.