[Cursed Treasure: Don't Touch My Gems!] Anyone else think this is massively overrated?

62 posts

Flag Post

I’m not saying this is a bad game, but does it really deserve the incredibly huge praise it has gotten? I see almost no dissent except for a few critics whose comments have been downrated out of visibility.

Cursed Treasure is well executed, but it lacks something truly needed for a quality TD in an oversaturated market: new mechanics. Simply put, this game brings nothing new to the table. It combines existing mechanics well, but so does Gemcraft, Desktop TD, and dozens of other defense games.

I like having the ability to upgrade towers, but you’re still heavily limited on tower placement. Yes, you can place a tower on its applicable terrain, but you’re heavily incentivized to place towers on the scattered bonus tiles, meaning your biggest challenge is deciding which of the three towers you’re going to place where.

On the other hand, if the TD allowed for mazing (ie Desktop TD), the replayability increases dramatically. You can constantly alter your playstyle. Imagine if Cursed Treasure was open-ended, mazing-centric, but randomly placed the bonus tiles. You’d actually be encouraged to vary your playstyle every game. Wouldn’t that be more fun than placing towers in a set strategy every time?

Furthermore, its graphics are subpar, and by that I don’t mean they are low quality. They just look generic. By contrast, games like Infectonator and its new successor have low-bit graphics but tons of character. My point is, you can make a charming, visually appealing game without Crysis level graphics. Even the intro screen to Cursed Treasure is bland.

Unlike others, I like ninjas. I do believe the ninja bosses need significant rebalancing to avoid the issues everyone has been experiencing with them, but they could be worse.

I guess I’m just baffled why Cursed Treasure is so overly popular when there are zillions of TD games, many of which aren’t all that different.

Flag Post

I think your missing a few things here to be honest.
This game is really nothing like Gemcraft or Desktop TD, maybe it doesn’t have 100% new mechanics, but it is using mechanics together that haven’t been used together before!
For example; not many TDs have spells, not many TDs have upgrade paths, and most TDs are based around ""the enemy passes this line, you lose a life". CT combines spells with upgrade paths, the “life” system is a type that I’ve never seen executed too well before.

Then theres tower types, most TDs you have something like this: weak cheap tower, medium tower, slow tower, poison tower, splash tower, expensive super tower.
This game has 3 arguably EQUAL tower types, and the cost and placement systems force one to diversify what type they use as well.

I for one HATE the mazing mechanic btw, because of something called “juggling” which defeats the ENTIRE purpose of a TD game.
This game has no mazing, therefore no juggling, therefore your actually defending something with towers and spells alone, and not how well you can hit sell and rebuild.

The graphics, I suppose I agree with you on, they aren’t “bad” but they certainly don’t convey much character.

Finally, you say You don’t know why CT is popular when there are “zillions of TD games, many of which aren’t all that different”, but that IS why it’s popular, it isn’t one of the zillion others, I mean… show me a TD thats almost exactly like CT, I can certainly show you hundreds that are exactly like TDs such as Desktop Defence!

Flag Post

If you didn’t rate this AT LEAST 4/5, you just have no taste for games.

Flag Post

You are right, this game is overrated. But by that I mean it just doesn’t deserve the 1st place. The game is worth a top15 place. The game is refreshing in it’s TD-style, and without juggling the game is executed very well. But I do think for exemple gemcraft is better. The game is too short, and doesn’t have any cinematics nor a real story.
I do think that the other two games in the top 3 should at least drop 20 games lower in rating. Dominator and upgrade this are just like meh.. I really hate these two games are so popular.
Well so as long the other two games remain in 2 and 3, I’m at least happy that this gets the first place.

Flag Post

Krusha, I do agree that juggling is ruinous to most mazing TD games, but that’s easily rectified by not allowing tower sells during a round.

By contrast to many other TD games, there is little tower variety in Cursed Treasure. Yes, it doesn’t have the standard weak cheap/medium/slow towers, but I’ve seen some brilliant TD games, especially in Warcraft III, that produce a huge variety of effects that challenge a player to make choices. I don’t feel there are many choices to be made here.

Upgrade paths in TDs and spells are becoming more commonplace, but I agree Krusha, they are not as widespread as they could be.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tokkele:

But I do think for example gemcraft is better. The game is too short, and doesn’t have any cinematics nor a real story.

While I do agree that I like some parts of Gemcraft better (longer, can actually move the attacks around allowing more tactics to be used, more variety of gems for towers, traps, reset skills button.), there is one part of that game that’d still make me rate this game over that one. In this one, you can actually get better even if you did worse on a level than you did the last (or whatever was your best) try on it. In that one, (and yes, I’ve played it and this made me really frustrated), though, if you don’t beat your top score on it, you don’t gain anything from it. I couldn’t get far at all no matter what I did because of this.

It isn’t the best game, I agree, I have seen some better ones, TD or not, in my opinion. But on here, it is one of the better games I have played so far (in my opinion). May not deserve first place, I guess I can agree with that, but still great despite it’s flaws.

Flag Post

Im not sure about the game being overrated, or about whether its the best game on the website, however this game is fun and entertaining, involves strategy and thought, and is all around enjoyable. The graphics may not be amazing, and the game is definetely short (it should have like double the levels, at least), overall it is a splendid game that deserves praise.

Sometimes I think people get a little too meticulous and nitpicky about what makes a good game. Yes there are various details that add to the overall gameplay, but at the end of the day it’s really about the basic elements: Was the game entertaining? Does it leave you feeling satisfied? Would you play it again? For me the answer to these questions concerning Cursed Treasure is yes, therefore, the game is one of the better ones on the site, and deserving of a good rating.

Flag Post

This is a 7mb flash game.. comparing this to warcraft 3 is retarded to put it mildly… ^^
If you feel this game is so overrated, why not make a new one yourself, thats better than this?

Flag Post

Another reason it is popular is due to its simplicity. Loads of people can play it without much struggle, and it is hard to lose (but also hard to do perfectly)

Flag Post

There’s already a better game than cursed treasure, Epic Battle Fantasy 3 is epic and kicks cursed treasure in the gems. Give it awhile and Epic Battle Fantasy 3 will be #1. Cursed treasure has no story to it, I will get all perfects just to say I did, and probably never play it again.

Flag Post

Oh yeah, if you want a game thats very similar to cursed treasure, spectrum defense is close, to krusha.

Flag Post

this game is fucking hard im having trouble with level 3

THREE for god’s sakes!

3.5/5

oh and i have the highest post count here lol everyone else is less than 50

Flag Post
Originally posted by RoboKestrel:

Krusha, I do agree that juggling is ruinous to most mazing TD games, but that’s easily rectified by not allowing tower sells during a round.

By contrast to many other TD games, there is little tower variety in Cursed Treasure. Yes, it doesn’t have the standard weak cheap/medium/slow towers, but I’ve seen some brilliant TD games, especially in Warcraft III, that produce a huge variety of effects that challenge a player to make choices. I don’t feel there are many choices to be made here.

Upgrade paths in TDs and spells are becoming more commonplace, but I agree Krusha, they are not as widespread as they could be.

Warcraft three TDs were just the best ever, this one is generic, yet very balanced wich is nice. if they could just make 1 more tower line with an original effect, this game could surpass mediocrity. yeah and juggling is easily solved^

Flag Post

So, if you folks don’t think that this games deserves 1st place denominator the game that deserve 1st place.
I think armed with wings… IT IS AWESOME!!! Especially AWW 3.

Flag Post

I think whats good about this game comparedd to most TD’s is the levelling system which encourages replaying older maps….. a lot of TDs have arguably equal tower types and many also let you upgrade your towers along certain paths too. The main thing that makes this more appealing is the experience collection that you can apply to create game-wide bonuses. However there is absolutely no reason this game is rated #1 that is just mysterious… its way too short for one thing and that really is enough!

Flag Post
Originally posted by lackinglack1:

I think whats good about this game comparedd to most TD’s is the levelling system which encourages replaying older maps….. a lot of TDs have arguably equal tower types and many also let you upgrade your towers along certain paths too. The main thing that makes this more appealing is the experience collection that you can apply to create game-wide bonuses. However there is absolutely no reason this game is rated #1 that is just mysterious… its way too short for one thing and that really is enough!

I agree completely! Now lets take a look at games like “Sonny”, which almost always have a challenge for you to overcome, AND have over 1 MILLION more plays than this game. This means that people keep coming back to play it, where as once you get the brilliant rating on all the levels, you have nothing to do. Yet, despite all this, Cursed Treasure is stil number 1. I am truly sorry to the creator of this game, but, I believe that you just got a bunch of your friends to vote your game a 5.

Flag Post

yes

Flag Post

overrated. first of all its too easily hacked, if your going to make a flash game at least make it so cheat engine cant hack it gosh… and yeah its just mediocre all around i played the game thought it wasnt too bad but didnt have the urge to beat it and didnt enjoy my time with it very much, just kind of felt like a time waster, even if you dont bring something new to the table at least bring good stuff.

Flag Post

“overrated,overrated” you guys are douchebags.
This is overall a very good game, not too hard, addicting.
TD’s like gemcraft are too hard, you’re not enjoying it. The enviroments are also depressing and it’s a little too serious.
If i were a new member on Kongregate, i would like to play something that’s not too hard and fun, Cursed Treasure is perfect for that! If Gemcraft would’ve been the first game i played on this site i probably would never come back… So stop complaining and look at your collection of impossible badges instead, overachievers.

Flag Post

Yes.

Flag Post

Not at all.

Flag Post

I totally agree with prodd, so many are ragging on a good game, can we please stop having questions like “why is this game rated so high” its fun and got a lot of attention. Sonny was good but the replay value was pretty low, this isn’t the best game i have played but its definately one of my all time favs.

Flag Post

absolutely

Flag Post

It is a good game, but there are better games out there…and why is this game always so loved? It’s just a TD.

Flag Post

Definitely overrated. It’s a good game, yes, but it’s not the best game. There is a serious lack of variety & strategy, for one thing- tower placement is basically decided for you. And while there is multiple upgrade paths, there is still only three towers, six if you consider each upgrade path to be a different tower.

Beating the game is very easy. And getting the “brilliant” ratings is not about difficulty, it’s about grinding for exp, and in some cases (level 14) getting lucky.

The other two big TDs on this site, Gemcraft and Protector, are both MUCH BETTER. Gemcraft is peerless so far, if you ask me, but it seems to be too difficult for the average player. Well, play Protector IV or IV.V then. It’s not as hard as Gemcraft, but it offers more challenges than Cursed Treasure. Both games have tens of times more variety than Cursed Treasure.

I think, bluntly, Cursed Treasure is a TD for someone who has never played a TD before. It’s short, sweet and easy, almost to the point of being boring.