Protector IV Discussion

140 posts

Flag Post

So what do you think of the game?

I kind of like it. I find the difficulty curve less steep compared to the past Protector games. There is significantly added depth and the game feels more refined and less like a pure Tower Defence game.

Any tips from experiences? :)

Flag Post

neds badges 1/5

On a serious note, I’m taking this thread as a suggestion to go play it. I liked the previous Protectors, though they got hard a little too fast.

Flag Post

There’s a new one? runs off to play

Flag Post

I found several downsides that were not there in the previous versions. For example, you have no idea what bonuses you’re getting from the initial story until you check your stats afterwards. You also don’t get to see any more how many waves there are in a level, or how difficult it is. I clicked a quest and it completely owned me due to lack of units I absolutely required (giving me a recommended hero type is not nearly enough). Minor thing, but the feats/awards/achievements/X (where X is the actual name, but I forgot) are put up at random. Could use a little clean-up.

The Protector series is all right, but personally didn’t like having to play a level several times trying to find the perfect setup you need.

Flag Post

Yeah, not being able to see the amount of waves or difficulty has made me lose many a normal quest. That definitely needs to be changed.

I like it, though. The added RPG elements make it feel like less of that “same-old-thing” the last 3 games were.

Flag Post

This version really blew some new life into the series. Protector 1 was good, 2 was slightly better and the third was a downright disappointment. (Not to mention those terrible “My Pet Protector” games)

Only thing that really bothers me: When hiring a hero, you can see how many skillpoints he has. However, these are often simply terrible. I was thrilled to see a hero with 11 skills already, until it turned out that half of them were into Magic while he has two melee units. This makes it hard to level him and get decent skills.

I like the overall balancing of units. Some seem to be slightly less useful than you’d want them to be (0.5% chance of teleporting back to entrance? Come on…), but all in all it’s very well done. Would be handy if you could see what those item-use-talents do before you have to buy them though. Makes it difficult to prioritize.

Oh and sometimes the “suggested element” is complete bogus. Entered a map with suggested element Physical and the first 6 waves were Energy with resistance to Physical. Yeah, some (not even that many) of the later waves were weak to Physical, but I got mobbed long before I reached those.

Flag Post

Sometimes it seems that the recommended element corresponds to the element of the final wave. Wasn’t a major problem though since you get to pick 3 heroes and you should be picking 3 heroes of different elements.

I actually liked the teleporting back to entrance skill. Wizards already have a high range and with it maxed at 4% along with the cast speed boost, it helped me beat some harder levels.

Melee units seemed pretty gimped in this game though. With the abundance of flyers on most levels, it’s much better to stick to mages and ranged units.

Flag Post

The suggested element is merely the most number of waves weak to the element; and can be very wrong at times. I remember one of the levels suggesting fire, where the final level happens to be fire absorb boss (aka fire heals instead of damage), making a fire focused build suicidal.

I’ve beaten the game, using only mages. (The caster hero you start with is what I used, did not need to hire any new heros or change the 2 units the hero already have.) If you simply throw enough points into Magic Use and Elemental, it did not matter if most waves are resistant to your element, you just destroy it anyways. Only thing that can possibly stop you is absorb waves. No map absorb all 5 elements… so for the story quests, all you needed is element switch items and grind away.

The latter half of the game for me was just start the story quest, check if there are waves that absorb your mage’s element; if there aren’t any, just grind away and destroy the level. If there are waves that absorb your mage’s element, check which element isn’t absorbed, exit, switch mage’s element to one that isn’t absorbed, go destroy the level.

That is a balance oversight imo, if the game is easily beatable with only one hero.

Flag Post

This is a downright incredible addition to the series. I found that switching heros (as opposed to elements via item) is suicidal with respect to time and power, as is using melee units unless you’re on short, and definably melee-only, levels. The point that most of the game can be beaten focusing on one hero is another issue; despite low basic damage, Watchers with high Elemental and Ranged values will DeathDeal/poison anything that comes at you with an adjustable element for maximum carnage. Magi seem to be similarly OP, especially with “weakness.” Aside from all of that, the game DESPERATELY requires skill explanations. Splash damage is clear, yes, and increased damage, and swing speed. So what exactly does Consecration do? Pair with elemental (trying to match the series) or something unrelated? And why is an Alchemist a 1-range ranged unit and a Guardian a 2-ranged melee? These questions and our knowledge of them in-game need to be expanded upon. And yes, difficulty does vary, but I found that with either Magi or DeathDealing Watchers, 15-20 wave levels were MUCH easier than 10 wave levels; the bosses rarely passed the opening pair of my men. Look forward to many more hours of playing, but please update these issues! =)

Flag Post

Is it just me or is adding points to your wisdom useless? That is, the xp per level rises fast enough to negate any bonus wisdom might give. I think the same thing happened in protector 3 with the +xp skill. The wisdom for units seems a little better since they only need +50xp for each new level.

Flag Post

it was pretty good.like most protectors tho,it got way too hard for me too fast.that is,until i got the engineer.they were almost 3 times as good as warrior.one question.does melee go to archery also?or is ranged the only one for archery?

Flag Post

Good game, but I just don’t feel like playing it until it has badges.

Flag Post

I like the game, but I won’t play until:

1: BADGES.

2: It’s all patched up to fix all the listed problems here, and all the rest yet to find.

Now some KUDOS:

1: NO MICRO TRANSACTIONSBIG PLUS

2: NO NEED FOR KREDS

3: FULL GAME, NOT A CHEAP DEMO.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Nioden:

Is it just me or is adding points to your wisdom useless? That is, the xp per level rises fast enough to negate any bonus wisdom might give. I think the same thing happened in protector 3 with the +xp skill. The wisdom for units seems a little better since they only need +50xp for each new level.

Yeah, (character) Wisdom is definitely useless to invest points in. As for unit Wisdom: same thing really. It’s “handy”, but doesn’t benefit you in the end. The only reason to level up is to increase your skills. First investing points in Wisdom to level up faster will in the end be slower to reach your desired skills. However, if you find some decent +Wisdom items, they’re very handy to speedlevel a Hero by equipping them on a level you can beat with just his/her units.

The Character exp curve is a bit too steep for my taste though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fertenxxxgang:

Good game, but I just don’t feel like playing it until it has badges.

I still feel this way about Protector III, haha. Someone remind me why that game hasn’t been badged yet?

Flag Post

I like the new stuff, but they’re a bit too complex for me to understand on the 1st look. And having limited unit slots (heroes) can easily make or break a map (if you brought the wrong element/unit).

Flag Post

People who only play games with badges have no concept of fun. 2032, get a concept of fun.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TARDIS:

People who only play games with badges have no concept of fun. 2032, get a concept of fun.

Aizen," Just as planned"

So some observations:

1. You pretty much only need a few characters and you’re all set for the entire game. That’s pretty much it. I used Energy mages for almost 6-7 levels exclusively regardless of what the game suggests to me. Now I’m stuck cause the next storyline quest has a boss that absorbs energy. ."

Flag Post

1: NO MICRO TRANSACTIONSBIG PLUS

Yeah, suddenly the game is ten times as good due to no in-game shop at all…

Someone remind me why that game hasn’t been badged yet?

I believe it didn’t report how many maps you completed. The API was working, but there was a specific statistic missing.

Flag Post

anyone know how to fix the game from not saving? I came on today and found that my save file no longer existed…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Laxaria:
Originally posted by TARDIS:

Aizen," Just as planned"

So some observations:

1. You pretty much only need a few characters and you’re all set for the entire game. That’s pretty much it. I used Energy mages for almost 6-7 levels exclusively regardless of what the game suggests to me. Now I’m stuck cause the next storyline quest has a boss that absorbs energy. ."

there are items that temporarily (as in for the next quest, win or lose) changes the element of units a hero uses.

Flag Post

Well, the update now shows the stats of all enemies in all levels before you play them, so you can appropriately pick the right heroes rather than guessing (and then ultiamtely failing most the time).

Not sure if I like the current upgrade system better or worse. The thing I dislike is the interwoven skills tree. If I could, I would pick the +xx% damage option every time as it is the one I see most effective 95% of the time. Instead I have to invest in an ability that increases slowing by 10% to as well as an ability that increases armor piercing as well as an ability to increase firing speed to access the un-interwoven line of damage increase (that example was of the crossbowman’s skill tree). I don’t want to slow the creeps down, I want to kill them. And dealing more damage is more important than armor piercing 99% of the time, since more damage provides better results against all enemies rather than just enemies with armor.

Back in the old games, I could pick generalism, then a specialization that would genuinely help damage production (like say… berserker or critical hits) rather than having to put up with skills that decrease the speed of the enemy.

By the way, has anybody found a unit that has the coveted splash damage specialization of the old protector games?

Also, what are y’all’s favorite basic and advanced units?

Flag Post

Yeah, (character) Wisdom is definitely useless to invest points in. As for unit Wisdom: same thing really. It’s “handy”, but doesn’t benefit you in the end. The only reason to level up is to increase your skills. First investing points in Wisdom to level up faster will in the end be slower to reach your desired skills. However, if you find some decent +Wisdom items, they’re very handy to speedlevel a Hero by equipping them on a level you can beat with just his/her units.

The Character exp curve is a bit too steep for my taste though.

Also note that there’s a way to reset a hero’s skills, the Original Protectopedia/Hero Memory Wiper you can buy from the Protector’s Packs store.
You could probably dump a lot of exp into a new hero’s wisdom, run them through a map a few times for fast exp, then do a reset and put the exp into something more useful. The tooltip says only a small amount of exp is lost in the process.

Of course, I never tried this since it’s entirely possible (and probably even ideal) to only ever use 1-2 heroes…

Flag Post

guys a guy found a bug,equip 2 element changing items(NOT SCROLLS)and take away the one u want then take away the other.this will change your element permanently unless u redo this.

Flag Post

@Eddy01741 if u haven’t found out yet,the engineer and a few others use it.the engineer also have 15 power,2 range,and 8 speed.this makes it WAY better then about half of the other units and i got it around the 10th hero that wanted to join my cause.