Sandbox is the new FPS

27 posts

Flag Post

What do you think will replace sandbox games in like 5 years?

Flag Post

(I hope) a fully destructable sandbox.

Flag Post
Originally posted by kirdaiht:

There isint alredy one? I lower generation one,sure,but i think it exists…

Flag Post

I don’t think there’s ANY game with a FULLY destructible environment… especially not one with realistic graphics…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fun2223:

I don’t think there’s ANY game with a FULLY destructible environment… especially not one with realistic graphics…

red faction guerillia comes close. you can destroy any building there, but not the ground, and it doesn’t look very realistic. (A building can be supported by a single piece of wire, untill you stand underneath it.

screw realistic graphics. I can live with 2005 graphics if I can destroy everything I see in return.

Flag Post

True, but wouldn’t it be more fun if things reacted realistically? :D…

You know… Take a LAW to the Zoo? >:3

Flag Post

Off course. But now pick one.
A sandboxgame, with 2005 graphics (Halflife 2), but you can destroy everything.
Or a sandboxgame with highly realistic modern graphics (Think, Crysis), but the entire environment is fixed.

Flag Post

Honestly… I wouldn’t play either. I want Crysis with a fully destructible environment. :3

I don’t settle for things. I’d rather have none than have one that isn’t… What I want…

Flag Post

Most sandbox games suck.

Flag Post
Originally posted by slayer1337:

Most sandbox games suck.

Garry’s Mod
Play it.

Flag Post

Honestly I don’t think there can be many more genres as there are.

Flag Post
Originally posted by exemplary:

What do you think will replace sandbox games in like 5 years?

The optimist in me says it doesn’t know, but it wants to find out. The pessimist in me says, “Knowing the games industry? FPS. Because we’re so damn creative, aren’t we?”

Originally posted by okimaedaIzinki:

Garry’s Mod
Play it.

There’s a difference between “sandbox game” and “sandbox”. One has gameplay; the other is just throwing a bunch of tools at a person and letting them run wild, either to great success or boredom. See: Scribblenauts for another similar example.

Flag Post

Hrm… SecondLife would have to be the worst example of how a sandbox can end up… Though, some sandbox games are well done. It’s related to the amount of ‘rules’ compared to the amount of ‘freedom’. More isn’t always better; of either.

Flag Post

I don’t think anything will be replacing Sandbox cuz its limitless…

Flag Post

what games are sandbox?

Flag Post

Red Faction is amazing. There needs to be a game in the future, that uses a satellite, and somehow recreates earth as a fully destructable sandbox game, hopefully that’ll keep the bad people out of trouble too :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by aguspal:
Originally posted by kirdaiht:

There isint alredy one?a lower generation one,sure,but i think it exists…

:D
As you said,not with realistic graphics…But i belive,there was one,at least….

Flag Post

I’d want a MW sand box game :D how f*cking fun would that be?

Flag Post

The only game I played which has fully destructible environment is Men of War which is an RTS

Flag Post

isn’t it a sandbox called that is called Geomod that has totaly destructable buildings? Red faction Guerrilla has it

Flag Post
Originally posted by IJustFailedMyPie:

Not really IMO since I dont like MW.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IJustFailedMyPie:

It wouldn’t be fun because every few story missions your character would die and the game would force you to play as someone else.

Flag Post

Who knows, maybe people will become too lazy to play at all by then and everything will have to be an idle game? Oh wait, no, we already got the blueprints for that, just remove a few elements of “game” from Heavy Rain and there you go. The next big thing.

Flag Post

That is called a movie, mandracos.

Flag Post

Essentially yes :P And by movie standards it’s a pretty sucky one too.