Is epic battle fantasy 3 sexist? page 4 (locked)

120 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dr_Stein:

You seem to be relying on online dictionaries. SD would have a fit.

if you think this should be moved to SD, ask a forum mod.

Flag Post

Lara Croft still had to be over sexualised. Miniskirt and cropped tank top. If she’d have been wearing decent clothing, then perhaps yes, she’d be a strong female role model.

You want a female character that is the utter anti-Sexism?

Samus Aran. At least, until Zero Suit came along.

Anyway, the sexism in EBF3 is so obvious that calling it out and being offended at it is just ridiculous.

Natalie gets KO’d in battle.
‘Should have stayed in the kitchen…’

It’s hardly under the radar now, is it? In fact, it’s slapping you in the face with it. It’s parading the sexism around like a flag attatched to a vuvuzela, trumpeting away with joyous gusto.

What’s next? Going to point out that Marjorie Dawes and her Fat Fighters from Little Britain is offensive to obese people?

THAT’S THE JOKE.

Flag Post

Not really.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moochy:

Lara Croft still had to be over sexualised. Miniskirt and cropped tank top. If she’d have been wearing decent clothing, then perhaps yes, she’d be a strong female role model.

You want a female character that is the utter anti-Sexism?

Samus Aran. At least, until Zero Suit came along.

Anyway, the sexism in EBF3 is so obvious that calling it out and being offended at it is just ridiculous.

Natalie gets KO’d in battle.
‘Should have stayed in the kitchen…’

It’s hardly under the radar now, is it? In fact, it’s slapping you in the face with it. It’s parading the sexism around like a flag attatched to a vuvuzela, trumpeting away with joyous gusto.

What’s next? Going to point out that Marjorie Dawes and her Fat Fighters from Little Britain is offensive to obese people?

THAT’S THE JOKE.

should have stayed in the kitchen? That is what you consider sexism? reread my definition of sexism.

Flag Post
If you look carefully it’s one of several dozen ways to be awarded and the medal is apropriately called pervert AND in the description the developer asks you kindly not to dwell on that single issue. Take a freaking hint.

Me making a black character who has the ability to wear nothing but a loincloth and can stuff his face full of watermelon and steal cars, and is the only person in the game who does this, then rewarding you for carrying out my twisted imagination, then calling you racist and telling you to forget about it doesn’t exactly make it better, does it?

Flag Post

reread my definition of sexism

You’re an authority on this, are you? Or did you copy-paste it from an online dictionary, too?

In any case, I reread the thread, and it seems that I can’t even find your definition. Then again, I seem to be in agreement with greg, who is probably much better equipped to fight the fight than I am.

So much ysosrs in here. I’d say that any woman who can seriously take offense from this to be worse for the image of them than jiggling boobs.

Flag Post

the ability to wear nothing but a loincloth

There is a variety of clothing available in EBF 3.

can stuff his face full of watermelon and steal cars, and is the only person in the game who does this

So, what? It’s also the only person they portray as that. This does not in any way refer to anyone else.

then rewarding you for carrying out my twisted imagination, then calling you racist and telling you to not make a big deal of it doesn’t exactly make it better, does it?

Not sure what you’re thinking of. The medal was put in-game as a “secret”. It should have the “wow, they actually count in this game how many times I click on them” effect. Of course, with walkthroughs and others players available, many secrets in any game aren’t as secret any more, but that’s beside the point. The thing is you’re being jokingly rewarded for something you generally cannot do in other games. In no way is this sexism, but it’s somewhat “perverted”.

Flag Post
There is a variety of clothing available in EBF 3.

Indeed there is. There would be a variety of clothing in my game.

So, what? It’s also the only person they portray as that. This does not in any way refer to anyone else.

And yet the first thing people will yell out is racism. For example, the chickenman games.

Not sure what you’re thinking of.

That “it’s a secret and he told you to forget about it” doesn’t make it better in any way.

Flag Post

Indeed there is. There would be a variety of clothing in my game.

You’re not forced to wear anything. To give you the “ability” to wear something silly does not make your game racist or sexist.

And yet the first thing people will yell out is racism. For example, the chickenman games.

What people yell out and what other people think is quite different.

That “it’s a secret and he told you to forget about it” doesn’t make it better in any way.

Let me put it differently.

“Sexism” in this case seems to be completely subjective. The game doesn’t address large amounts of women or men in their remarks and are only joking around with the in-game characters. Some people think the game is discriminating the characters, some don’t, but it’s not objectively sexism. It’s your opinion that it does discriminate the characters in-game, but I haven’t seen actual sexism appear.

Flag Post

“Samus Aran. At least, until Zero Suit came along.”

It was LONG before that, what with the “get better rank and samus shows more skin” introduced in…Well, I don’t know when it was introduced.

What is the big deal with skin showing=objectifying lol, anyway? It’s not objectifying men when we see Sylvester Stallone’s rear end in Rambo. It’s not objectifying men when we see Mel Gibson’s rear end in Lethal Weapon. It’s not objectifying men when we see Bruce Willis shirtless in Pulp Fiction. It’s not objectifying men when we see Clint Eastwood’s rear end in Escape from Alcatraz. It’s not objectifying men when we see William Sadler’s…you get the point by now, right?

So yeah, consistency please? It can’t work one way and not the other.

Flag Post

Me making this into third person shooter with static camera view and replacing the environments with an old mansion and all the monsters with zombies and weird-ass mutants and also awarding the player for surviving and solving the plot wouldn’t exactly change this into the first Resident evil would it?

I’m not talking about your sick exaggerated racist fantasies, I’m talking about what is. And how mild it is. And also how clean you actually want your games to be would interest me. So instead of throwing the freaking Titanic at me as soon as I gently point to a boat tell me something about the standards by which you’d include mildly suggestive themes (and one snarky remark) into games without making them instantly sexist in your eyes.

Seriously, how clean does a game need to be? And why in hell don’t you pick on stuff that’s actually offensive?

Flag Post

Kill all the Spanish zombies you want, but one handgun round in the Black or Female zombies and that’s a lawsuit!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moochy:

reread my definition of sexism

You’re an authority on this, are you? Or did you copy-paste it from an online dictionary, too?

In any case, I reread the thread, and it seems that I can’t even find your definition. Then again, I seem to be in agreement with greg, who is probably much better equipped to fight the fight than I am.

So much ysosrs in here. I’d say that any woman who can seriously take offense from this to be worse for the image of them than jiggling boobs.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sexism

1 : prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
2 : behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex
your examples seem to fit the second definition, however:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fostering

1 : to give parental care to : nurture
2 : to promote the growth or development of : encourage

and also;
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stereotype
2stereotype
noun
Definition of STEREOTYPE
: a plate cast from a printing surface
: something conforming to a fixed or general pattern; especially : a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment

Flag Post
I’m talking about what is.

And I’m talking about EBF3 with a black man who eats watermelon instead of a woman who jiggles breasts.

Also he shoots off stereotypes about African-Americans when he walks around and dies, instead of a woman who shoots off stereotypes about women.

And then he calls the white men sissies at the end of the game, which somehow makes up for it.

Flag Post

Yeahyeahyeah, we get it. “lul, if i r racist, that makes content that isn’t sexist sexist”.

You need to explain how how a female character looking attractive compares to being blatantly racist. (Although, it would only be racist to begin with if the character was done in spite of black men. Absolutely nobody would care if the character had all the same lines as the sterotypical black man but was white, so…)

Flag Post

But I’m not being racist.

Flag Post
I’m talking about what is.

And I’m talking about EBF3 with a black man who eats watermelon instead of a woman who jiggles breasts.

Also he shoots off stereotypes about African-Americans when he walks around and dies, instead of a woman who shoots off stereotypes about women.

And then he calls the white men sissies at the end of the game, which somehow makes up for it.

1. does not apply to EFB3, stereotypes of women rarely portray them as girls that go into a volcano.

But I’m not being racist.

so? explain please.

Flag Post

No one ever said they had to fit their stereotype throughout the whole game.

Flag Post

You are not being racist if you indeed only portray that one man in a negative light. Yet you do this:

Also he shoots off stereotypes about African-Americans

Which doesn’t happen to women in EBF 3. It only happens to Natt.

Flag Post
Which doesn’t happen to women in EBF 3.

“Should have stayed in the kitchen”

turns into something stereotypical about African Americans. It does only apply to him.

Flag Post

Michael Clarke Duncan is the only black guy in Sin City! And he’s evil!

Totally racist!

““Should have stayed in the kitchen”

turns into something stereotypical about African Americans."

At this point, you’re either trolling, or you actually think circular logic works.

Flag Post

No one ever said they had to fit their stereotype throughout the whole game.

but they don’t fit for the majority of the game.

Which doesn’t happen to women in EBF 3.

“Should have stayed in the kitchen”

turns into something stereotypical about African Americans. It does only apply to him.

should have.
that does not foster the stereotype that women stay in kitchens. Natalie does not stay in a kitchen.

Try again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BerserkerBlader:

Totally racist!

Keep making strawmen, don’t worry, I’ll wait.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BerserkerBlader:

Totally racist!

Keep making straw men, don’t worry, I’ll wait.

How is that a straw man?

Flag Post

Give an example.