Gemcraft or any other flash game TRANSFER SAVE FILE TUTORIAL

174 posts

Flag Post

Anyone else pissed that you have to start all over on Gemcraft after playing it on Armor Games, or some other site?

Well, I figured out how to transfer the save file, just follow the instructions:

(BTW, this is for WINDOWS VISTA only, not Macs or Linux. Sorry guys)

(You can probably do it in XP too, just under another folder)

1. Go to Folder Settings in Windows and turn hidden folders ON.

2. Next, go to

C:\Users\YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\FlashPlayer\#SharedObjects\SOME RANDOM LETTERS AND NUMBERS\

3. There should be two folders, one named chat.kongregate.com and one named armorgames.com or a different website you played it on

4. Go to the armorgames.com one and copy BOTH giabGencraftPreferences.sol and giabGemCraftSaveData.sol over to the chat.kongregate.com. Overwrite any existing data there.

5. You’re DONE! You can now pick up where you left off, and hopefully make progress towards the new badges (which WILL appear… eventually).

Thanks for reading this. This procedure should work on most other games too, even flashes you’ve downloaded to your desktop. Just look for the .sol files with the other game title in it. Those saves should be under #LocalWithNet\Users\YOUR USERNAME\Desktop\. The procedure should be similar for XP, just under a different folder.

-Batterytime

Flag Post

No, since the disabled “ARMOR GAMES ONLY” options are disabled within the actual flash file; i.e. the save file has nothing to do with any limited features in the actual game.
For example, you can’t turn a demo version of Microsoft Word into a full version by taking a “save file” (document) created by a full version and transfer it to and open it with the demo and expect the demo to turn into a full version.

Flag Post

never mind Jesto:
The points from the armor games version in the Armor category (the disabled one) STILL WORK in the kongregate edition; I guess the author (GameInABottle) only disabled the button. Heh. But if you reset it, you’ll never be able to put those points back in again unless you put points in the Armor Games version and transfer the file again.

By extension, any ‘disabled’ amulets earned in the Armor Games version should probably show up in the kongregate version too. But you won’t be able to EARN them in this version.
-Batterytime

Flag Post

It decreases the mana loss when a monster, or creep, escapes your gems and hits your fortressy thing.
I really never noticed if it matters at all, i mean, the damage reduction is so slight that it really shouldn’t have any points in it anyways, even if it was activated.
This is the justification I have for saying that this game IS NOT A DEMO.
-Batterytime

Flag Post

Were do u get to folder settings.

Flag Post

Its a bad skill even.

Flag Post

why would you need folder settings?

Flag Post

Its at the beggining of the instructions to go there.

Flag Post

Oh, i thought you meant for the flash game. LOL
Anyways, folder settings is in control panel, and is actually called folder options.
The option to show hidden files and folders is under the view tab.
This is for Vista, if you’re using XP, just look it up online.
-Batterytime

Flag Post

For XP, the address is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\(some random letters and numbers\

Just thought I’d put this tidbit up for you XP users.

Flag Post

OK I’m on my moms laptop and she has vista (Lame) and I can’t find the AppData on here.

Flag Post

haha. maxed that skill because I did on armorgames.

Flag Post

I don’t have chat.kongregate or armorgames.com in the …\#SharedObjects\X32A3XPK folder, even though I have saved GemCraft progress on armorgames.com… anyone know why this is?

Flag Post

anyone who can’t find the AppData or Application Data folders (Vista and XP respectively):
you MUST turn on the hidden folders setting in the Control Panel. Go the the Control Panel, go to Folder Settings or something similar, and check the box that allows you to see hidden folders and files. This is because AppData and Application Data are hidden folders.
Bazooka_Uka: Are you sure you’re looking under you’re own account if you’re computer has multiple accounts?

Flag Post

uhh… here’s a solid question for you, what are the filepaths on a Macbook? :P
any help there would help greatly considering im foolish enough to have a mac

Flag Post

Thank you very much, batterytime, I feel kind of silly now lol. There are 5 different folders that contain my name!

Flag Post

>uhh… here’s a solid question for you, what are the filepaths on a Macbook? :P any help there would help greatly considering im foolish enough to have a mac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Shared_Object#Storage_location

:)

Flag Post

Haho9 → try /home/%username%/.macromedia/ and so forth (.macr<…> – with “dot” character!)..
it should work for linux or unix… haven’t met mac before… or u could try to get info on where it stores temporary data.. there has to be something about “macromedia”

Flag Post

Its poot O matic when its static make it feel super galactic
micro harder!

Flag Post

i dont play games that are not on kongregate

Flag Post

When I play at work I search the files with the extension .sol (the path differs depending on the computer), saved them in my USB memory and carry them to home, where I can continue playing.

Flag Post

Ah yes, just an update on downloaded swf games:
Many of you, like me, probably also download the flash games to play offline onto the desktop or somewhere with something like Unplug, an extension for Firefox.
I listed in my original post that you should look in #LocalWithNet… But I made a mistake.
You should look in there for save files, but also take a look in the “localnet” folder, which far more games save files in than the #LocalWithNet folder.

Flag Post

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\Q6YRHDTU

direction on win XP

Flag Post

Nice post..Probably i will use it to backup save files so they dont disappear when i run Ccleaner

Flag Post

can I use this to transfer files from a computer to another computer?