Gemcraft or any other flash game TRANSFER SAVE FILE TUTORIAL page 3

173 posts

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

i tried to do this for shadowreign rpg and it wasnt in the folder armorgames.com but it was in cache.armorgames.com i opened it followed to files, games, shadowreign-rpg-4916.swf which was a folder that i copied into chat.kongregate.com but my file didnt show up can someone tell me what i did wrong.

Flag Post

Greetings dear Kongregators!

I work with IT and as such I change computers quite a bit and after having to save and restore by hand the Game Saves for quite some times I’ve grown a bit bored (it’s a tedious process, to say the least). To solve this issue I’ve created a very small program which I’ve named Kongregate Manager, which will do these tedious tasks for me.

I’ve decided to share this little program with anyone who’s interested, it may come in handy, specially for those who don’t know how to do it by hand or are some-what scared of messing in the Operative System like this.

The program can currently be downloaded from http://www.inpakt.org/KongregateManager.exe. You can even run it instead of downloading it but I advise the first option since it will save me some bandwidth if you just download it once instead of doing it every time you need.

At this time, the program only does two things: It has two buttons, one which backs-up your current game saves for a place of your choice (into a .kgs file) and another one to restore one of those files.

The procedures are simple, basically it scans for the ‘chat.kongregate.com’ inside the ‘AppData\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\\’ and zips the contents onto a file of your choice with the extension .kgs (I’ve decided to use this extension to make filtering them more easy, but you can change it manually to .zip and use it as a regular zip file). After backing up the save games you can then store the file wherever you want or copy it into your new computer and restore it from there. Restoring does, of course, the opposite, restores the file contents to your Flash Profile folder, which must already exist, if it gives you an error saying the folder doesn’t exist please log into kongregate and start some random game in order for it to be created and then try to restore again. Remember that if you already have some save games on the computer you’re trying to restore the file to, the current ones will be replaced, but you’ll get a confirmation dialog first.

This program has been developed using .NET Framework 2.0 and it’s currently tested and working under Windows 7 and Windows Vista. I would appreciate if anyone using some other Windows Operating System could try it out and give me some feedback so that I can know if it’s working everywhere or if some adjustments are needed. You’ll need of course .NET Framework 2.0 installed as well and the program uses the ICSharpZipLib which is already included on the executable file.

I’m also planning on making a few chances whenever I have time or patience, like having the program always running on your systray and checking for changes on that folder and automatically back-up when changes are made and also saving the file online and restoring them from there as well, but that’s for another version.

Feel free to download, test and deploy some feedback through the email wardan@inpakt.org, as it will be most appreciated.

I’m also pretty confident on my system and that it is currently Virus, Spyware & Malware free, but for the time being I’m stuck with Microsoft Security Essentials and although I do believe the file is totally free of any “harm-ware” out there if you can download it and scan it out feel free to post the results here.

If this seems of any use I would like some Kongregate Moderator / Administrator to try it out and post some feedback here so that others may know it’s totally safe.

Also, keep suggestions coming if you’d like, everything is appreciated, but will be implemented slowly as I’m only doing this on my spare time :]

Flag Post

I’m trying to retain the save locally in order to play a game locally. I’m able to find the .sol file and verified it but I can’t seem to be able to load it on a local embedding of the .swf. If someone can help…

Flag Post

Tested Thyral’s program up there and it seems to do the trick for me. Personally I couldn’t search for the folders myself but then the program just did everything in a jiff. The Kongregate people should give it a go..

Flag Post

Okay, now that I tried tranferring to a different there seems to be a problem.. The saved games don’t get loaded back on some systems that I tested it on.. Tried it on net cafes near school and that’s what I found.. Worked on my bro’s and mom’s laptop last night..

Flag Post

Greetings,

First of all thank you for trying out the program.

Regarding getting the games to work on public places like those you mentioned can be tricky. This program ain’t perfect and does the job pretty well on personal computers and let me try to explain why. I’ve tried to shortly explain it on my original post but here it goes a more complete version.

Every time you launch your web browser and launch a Flash website or game in this case a profile folder is created on your ‘AppData\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\’ and linked to your current user and profile. This is the folder your Flash engine uses to load everything it requires (like the save games for Kongregate). If you are the single user of your computer this means you’ll have only one of these folders created and as such my program will use it and successfully backup and restore the games (like you said it worked on your family’s PC’s). However, there are certain conditions where one or more of these folders may be created and may exist (like having an outdated folder and new one created or by having different browser user profiles, these are common on public places). My program just finds the first of those profile folders and uses that one to backup and restore the save games, however if you happen to have 2 of those profile folders and the correct Kongregate storage one is on the second one then you’re out of luck since it will only work on the first one he finds.

I thought about this issue but couldn’t really come up with a perfect solution to fix it. I have several options:

1. Search for Kongregate data folders inside every single profile folder that exists and let the user choose the correct one. → But how would a common user know which folder was the correct one? What if two users of the same computer used Kongregate and two folders had Kongregate data, do we want everyone to be able to backup and restore the other’s data? And how would a user know it’s his own folder?

2. (And this is the option I’m trying to work on) is to trying and search on the windows registry for the correct and actual associated profile folder, and backup it’s data.

One of these 2 options solves the backup process completely, however, we need some other options to solve the restore process.

1. Search for profile folders on the system and let the user decide to where it recovers the files. The problem is he may recover them to the incorrect one

2. Search for profile folders on the system and recover the files to every of them. This option will make everything work on every single system, however it will restore your games and variables to every single profile, as such in public places like net cafes or schools you would be restoring your files to every single profile, meaning users with different profiles that yours would get access to them, and doubt you’ll want that to happen.

3. (And this is the option I’m currently trying to use) Search for the actual assigned profile folder to the current user and restore the games to it.

I’m working on the marked options as I think they are the most viable and those who offer the most data protection. If anyone has any suggestion though, I’ll appreciate them.

I’ll keep this updated as soon as I’ve got it working with any of these solutions.

Also, I have change the program. It had a bug issue while attempting to compress folders, which should now be gone. You can download the newer version from the same place: http://www.inpakt.org/KongregateManager.exe .

Cheers for the info tumblewush. Your problem while using the program on those public places was actually this, there were several user profile flash folders on those systems and the program restored the save games to the wrong one, not to the one currently in use. I will try and fix this as soon as possible!

Have a nice day!

Flag Post

Thanks for the KongregateManager.. I discovered too late that the most recent windows service pack deleted my .sol file, hopefully I won’t make the mistake again.

Flag Post

Bump

There’s a 5 second way to access the .sol files.

Windows key + R, type “AppData/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects” or just simply “AppData/Macromedia”. Done, now search the Kong folder and stuff. :3 Or make a shortcut to that folder.

Flag Post

Is there a way to transfer a saved game from Kongregate to unlock certain hidden items then return the updated save file to my Kongregate game? I like it here, but I’ve found that some game are immensly more difficult without the locked bonuses such as those “Only Available At Armor” ones in the gemcraft games.

Flag Post

i played viva caligula on adultswim.net, and want to continue the game on kongregate. i found the save file, but have no idea where in chat. kongregate to place it. i have seriously tried copying it nearly everywhere, and kongregate still doesn’t recognize that i have a saved game. what do i do???

Flag Post

{continuing on from last post) Also, i played the game on internet explorer, but am currently using google chrome. am i still able to copy the save files?

Flag Post

You know… there are .sol editors out there. You could easily unlock anything you want by just using one of those. Also, if you don’t want to download a .sol editor you can just use notepad, but it’s a bit more difficult and you could mess it up if you type something wrong.

Flag Post

I’ve located the files, but how do I send them to my new laptop? Any help?

Flag Post

Thyral, I love you, thank you so much for telling me where the files are located. I’m moving them because I’ve got quite a bit of progress on so many of these games. For instance, Sonny 2, I’m most of the way there to the “Legend” in-game achievement, and I don’t want to lost that.

Flag Post

I have a problem! (LoL)
After changing to the newest version of Flash, I have not been able to use any of my old save files.
To top this off, i cannot save any new files either… I have tried playing all types of games with no luck. Can anyone help?

Flash v.10.1.53.64

Flag Post

i found chat.kongregate.com but i coudnt find chat.armorgames.com

help?

Flag Post

Mac files are under ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/, not ~/.macromedia

Flag Post

that’s perfect but for windows what should i do?

Flag Post

for windows 7 sorry…