Whiteboard Tower Defense

38 posts

Flag Post

Someone would have made this forum sooner or later, so here it is. Post guides, tips, hints and whatnot. Don’t forget the much needed Hard walkthrough (I’m still trying). So… post!

Flag Post

Just use a DTD guide and you’ll be fine.

Flag Post

Short and quick hardcore guide

1. Build a maze and juggle as needed.
2. The only things you should buy are basic cannons (to build your maze, don’t bother upgrading these), fully upgraded electric floors (partially for damage, which is decent when you get them, but mainly to slow the creeps to make juggling practical) and near the end a single boss tower which you can upgrade as needed so you don’t need to juggle for several hours.

Flag Post

and if i dont want to juggle? (feels like cheating to me :( )

Flag Post

Hi, I beat the hard mode without juggling once. My strategy was:

1. 1). Start building a maze with the peon tower, the beginning is the hardest bit where you might leak 1 or 2 lives, but no need to panic…
  2. 2). After the 1st boss sell one of your peon towers near the entrance and build a impact tower (The one that costs $50). Your maze should now direct your creeps back near the entrance once so your impact tower can get a 2nd shot…
  3. 3). Now it becomes easy. Continue extending your maze slowly and upgrade your impact tower. Then take it in turns to extend your maze and upgrading 5 or 6 of your original peon towers.
  4. 4). Now you should have the maze covering around 50% of the map. Upgrade a large amount of your peon towers and add a couple of impact towers.
  5. 5). Now that you have a good amount of damage, add electric floors to any spaces in your maze. (I had around 5 of these near the entrance and around 3 scattered down the maze). This is mainly to slow the creeps for your area damage from your impact towers.
  6. 6). Once you’ve upgraded all your peon towers and have 3 or 4 fully upgraded impact towers, the next step is to a). extend your maze to cover the whole map and b). sell one peon tower near the centre close to the entrance and buy a boss tower.
  7. 7). A good time to buy your 1st boss tower is when you’ve just defeated a boss, around level 34 I think, so you have money to buy it and upgrade it once for the increased range.
  8. 8). Upgrade your boss tower to purple and add a 2nd one. The final upgrade of a boss tower costs $400k, once you’ve made this you’ve won…
  9. 9). Somewhere along the line I made a ion tower close to all my electric floors earlier to help me out near step 6). and 7).

Flag Post

Juggling is a well know strategy.

Flag Post

Then you are a Scrub.

Flag Post

it’s definitely doable without leaking and without juggling, on hard mode. i only lost 3 lives non-juggle on my 1st attempt. the key is to have 4-5 teleport towers at the end of your maze. i had 5 main “lanes” of creep travel, from the start up-right diagonally, then back down-left, then up-right, then down-left, then up-right… but i still had a few more twists and turns after the last up-right to make use of the space in the lower right hand corner. that’s where i put the teleport towers. i also had enough space (intentionally) to put slow floors on the 1st up-right, the 2nd down-left, and the 3rd up-right. the 1st down-left and 2nd up-right were closer together, no room for slow floors. then i used peons solely, building the maze up, until i had 150g to buy a stick tower. used that, added more stick towers. had about 7 stick towers upgraded to level 4 when i finally got to the boss level that gave over 8800, and i bought my 1st boss tower. i used sticker towers across the upper-middle and lower-middle tower lines, and saved the middle line for boss towers. i eventually had 5 boss towers, 3 upgraded to level 4, 2 to the max.

Flag Post

What pattern keeps them from leaking at the beginning?

Flag Post

What phayd said. Nothing I’ve tried – and I’ve tried a lot – lasts more than a few seconds on hard.

Flag Post

I’m probably stupid, but what is juggling exactly?

Flag Post

Carados, if you need to juggle to beat this game then you are the scrub. Even on hard it is so ridiculously easy, all you need to do is build a maze and stick some boss towers in the middle. If your maze isn’t good enough a couple of teleportation towers at the end can catch anything that makes it through.

Juggling is pointless and just makes the game take longer.

Flag Post

Unlike DTD, juggling is not necessary here, despite similarities.

Flag Post

Here’s a pic i did of my juggler maze. it got me through hard pretty easy… upgrade the impact as you can, then the cash, put some electric floors on the big open tiles to slow them, make a choke point where the cash machine is, and put a lightning rod to the right and down from the cash machine… make more cash machines if you want, but save up for a boss tower, and then build another when you can, or more cash machines… when they get too close to one side, then close it up and make them go the other way. I try to kill them in range of a fully upgraded cash machine. $50 is great in comparison to losing 2 for selling the tower.
Photobucket
if that doesn’t work, then check out this pic:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/hiddenmanna777/juggled.jpg

Flag Post

What the heck am I doing wrong? I beat normal but I can’t even kill the first wave on hard. The lack of money makes it seem impossible to build enough towers. Help?

Flag Post

Carados, if you need to juggle to beat this game then you are the scrub. Even on hard it is so ridiculously easy, all you need to do is build a maze and stick some boss towers in the middle. If your maze isn’t good enough a couple of teleportation towers at the end can catch anything that makes it through.

Read the link before calling someone a scrub.

Also, I don’t “need” to juggle, it just saves time.

And allows completely stupid moves like having 5 maxed boss towers on normal.

Flag Post

To those who had a hard time in the beginning of hard:

I think these 2 images is enough hint. I finished hard without juggling.

EDIT. Sorry I wasn’t really familiar with pics embedding codes.

Flag Post

Here is hard finished with cash leftover and all rep. it’s how that other one i posted ended up.
Photobucket

Flag Post

how do you juggle and when should i get a boss tower for your map

Flag Post

you can also use a diagonal map, like i described above… don’t really feel like taking screenshots and posting, but you start from the lower left of the creep entrance point and build 6 or 7 peon towers diagonal up-right, then block the top off and build diagonal downward. eventually add a stick tower, then more stick towers… i had 7 total. and about 20 slow blocks. then i build boss towers.

Flag Post

This game is way to fucking long.

Flag Post

For those who would prefer a non juggling walkthrough.

For future reference, a picture:
http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hardmodebeatenmu7.png

1) Start by continuously building peons where there are stickmen and boss towers in the picture. Build outwards from the top in the form of a maze until all non-electric squares are filled. Do not upgrade any of them.

2) After wave 16, replace your peons with stickmen, starting in the center. Upgrade each stickman to level 3 before adding the next one (expanding outwards from the center). When all peons are level 3 stickmen, place and fully upgrade the electric floors.

3) After wave 34, all your electric floors should have been maxed and your stickmen are all level 3. Begin upgrading your stickmen straight to level 5, one at a time, expanding outwards from the center.

4) After wave 46, all stickmen should be level 5. Sell the middle three stickmen and replace them with boss towers. Upgrade two of the towers to level 3 and the other to level 2.

5) After wave 47, replace the next two stickmen with boss towers, and upgrade all the towers to level 3.

6) After wave 48, replace two more stickmen and upgrade all your boss towers to level 4.

7) After wave 49, add in the last two boss towers and upgrade them to level 4. Congrats on beating Hard Mode!

Levels that may leak: 3 and 35. At most one mob from each level will get through.

Explanations: Peon towers make good maze towers because they are cheap. Until at least wave 13, you have no money to spare for anything else. The stickmen are the most effective tower against bosses for their cost, and do decently against normal mobs as well. At level 3 they can fire into four maze paths at once. Level 4 upgrade gives them no benefit for range with my maze. Level 5 stickmen are still more effective then level 1 boss towers due to firing speed. However, they are not strong enough on their own to take out level 47, 49, and 50. The electric floors serve solely to prevent wave 35 and 39 from leaking, which then tend to do otherwise. There are more effective ways to beat Hard Mode without juggling, but this is probably the simplest to explain. You can easily use it to win without ever having to upgrade or replace towers mid wave after level 3.

Flag Post

Also, you can beat Easy difficulty with full respect using a straight line maze, i.e. nothing to stop creeps from walking directly from entrance to exit. A walkthrough of how to do this though is difficult and requires some good timing. Instead, I’ll post a picture of what your maze should look like before each boss level. (Note: you will have to juggle every boss once by putting a peon tower at the end of your maze so that they are forced to backtrack and take twice the damage. Normal mobs will not need to be juggled.)

Pictures of each setup pre-boss:

Level 3: http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linepath1ly2.png
All towers level 1

Level 7: http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linepath2wt7.png
Electric floor level 2, everything else level 1

Level 11: http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linepath3ig2.png
Electric floor level 2, everything else level 1

Level 15: http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linepath4xk0.png
Electric floors level 2, everything else level 1

Level 19: http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linepath5oh6.png
Electric floors level 2, everything else level 1

Level 23: http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linepath6hx1.png
Electric floors level 4, first two stickmen level 2, everything else level 1

Level 27: http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linepath7wl7.png
Electric floors level 5 (except the last one which is level 4), first four stickmen level 3, last two stickmen level 2, peons level 1

Level 30: http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linepath8xj2.png
Electric floors level 5, stickmen level 3

Flag Post

I only hate this game because it lagged my computer so bad the replacement mouse couldn’t keep up with a moderate movement rate (much less detect clicking in a reasonable timeframe).

Flag Post

Just finished this on hard! ^^

At the end I had 3 maxed out Boss towers, 2 1-under maxed out Boss towers, about 8 maxed out Impact towers, 6 or so maxed out peon towers and 1 maxed out stick-man, the rest were standard peon towers. I only left 1 “critter” in at lvl 2 and almost let 1 of the fat green ones in at around lvl 42 and 49.

Crushed them on the last lvl. ^^

My recommendation: look at the on the homepage slideshow for Whiteboard Tower Defense, study the formation there (may have to leave two windows open to look at it on your first time) and try to build it. The 1×1 open square spaces near the beginning of your “maze” (4 of them) should be filled with electric floors. Then cluster some impact towers near the entrance and slowly upgrade.

I found that pretty easy, it was only hard when I didn’t know you could upgrade your towers. ^^