Which Heroes of Might and Magic is best? page 3

65 posts

Flag Post

My favorite was HOMM3, I also like HOMM5 and even HOMM4, people didn’t seem to like it because it’s supposed to be played differently than the others.

Flag Post

3>5>4>1. Haven’t played 2 so no opinion there.

Flag Post

you should try 2 in fact, thanks it’s now downloadable, it’s rather pretty for such an old game. It’ll be easier than 3, but be careful :)

Flag Post

I still don’t know 3 is considered the best. I played it and I liked it, but still found 5 better than it.

Flag Post

hereos 3 was the best i spent hours everyday making and playing maps

Hereos 4 it was the worst game in the series.1 and 2 were really good for there times
Hereos 5 was good exept it didn’t keel like a part of the series and hereos 6 the same and what the hell
happened to the resources im currently installing 3 5 and 6 on my new computer

Flag Post

HOMM3 by far.

Favourite map? Titan’s Winter; Impossible.

Flag Post

Yep, I couldn’t come with a reliable tactics of castle assault on that map. The best I could do is gather all the possible speed-boosting artifacts (that enemy hero has 2 speed, has to compensate), have an Archangel (possible to steal one) attack that hero, whack with Inferno or alike, then flee at once, then attack with main and Berserk vs archangelsaround. Possible with morale negater. Likely that archangel stack will get decimated by crusaders :D But those griffins were more of a pain when I tried, I stopped playing after this.

Flag Post

Well, I beat Titan’s Winter and many maps which are made to be relentlessly difficult at later stages… unless you’re willing to go through all this I’m gonna type, I suggest you keep away from maps like this, for your sanity’s sake.
I learned all that by playing through the campaign Dragon Slayer.
You absolutely need to build up a godlike Hero with lots of Knowledge and Power, and masteries of Earth and Fire magic, which is probably the hardest part.
Then, you absolutely need to teach him/her these spells: Slow, Blind, Berzerk, Resurrection, Implosion and Town Portal.
If you manage to get Water and/or Air magic mastery Cure, Dispel, Clone, Haste and Chain Lightning can prove to be very useful.
The rest you can probably figure out yourselves, but I’ll admit that you’re never guaranteed to get the results you need unless you save scum.

Flag Post

Savescumming sucks apriori. BTW, Implosion is only needed if you play hit-n-run. For this, I find Armageddon better ;D just get yourself a complete dragon armor – thankfully for Titan’s Winter it’s available because of wizard towers and dungeon having Artifact Merchants. Then bash at will, entering with 3 Black Dragons per shot if you plain can’t overspeed the enemy, lose 2, then KABOOM then surrender/flee. Although Berzerk rulez :)

Flag Post

With my TBS friends we agreed that HOMM2 was the best, HOMM3 was mediocre (races too similar, campaign worse than in HOMM2), and HOMM4 was unpleasantly met because of disappointment from HOMM3. (+ it was unfinished).
I really disliked HOMM5 for unkillable heroes which could participate in battle.
Can’t say anything about HOMM6, don’t want even touch it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

Savescumming sucks apriori. BTW, Implosion is only needed if you play hit-n-run. For this, I find Armageddon better ;D just get yourself a complete dragon armor – thankfully for Titan’s Winter it’s available because of wizard towers and dungeon having Artifact Merchants. Then bash at will, entering with 3 Black Dragons per shot if you plain can’t overspeed the enemy, lose 2, then KABOOM then surrender/flee. Although Berzerk rulez :)

I don’t do hit and run. You just have to know how to toughen out stuff like excessive unit loss. I remember a battle in the Dragon Slayer campaign with (I think) 150 Faerie Dragons. Hell, if you find 30 or 45 of those bastards they do some serious damage let alone 150 of them. Oh, and what’s better is that they are always placed in 7 stacks and that’s just brilliant. I literally lost ALL of my troops except my Titans, even the Enchanters were shredded in the first battle round. To tell you the truth compared to all other scenarios in the campaign the Faerie Dragon one is easily the hardest, but that’s not to say that the others were a cakewalk either, far from it.

Flag Post

150 faerie dragons? What was able to receive in that scenario? I’d say get the antimagic orb or mass antimagic cast, PWN dragons. They are fat and weak, their only power is spellcasting. Enchanters are BTW too fragile, I wouldn’t dare going into this battle with them.

Flag Post

Well, I probably should have known better but I think that it was unavoidable. I think that there’s a time limit so you have to be quick, and I don’t think you get the Orb of Inhibition, which is probably the one you were referring to. Even if you did, keep in mind that it blocks spellcasting for both you and your opponent and by the time you encounter them you don’t have a sheer mass of units to defeat them, although I might try and test that out. As for casting anti-magic… you can, but not after having the Faerie Dragons shred everything you have. The Faerie Dragons have 15 speed, while the fastest Tower units, Titans and Master Genies, have 11. I did get the ring and the necklace which increase speed but the effect was only +2, so the dragons still got the first turn and raped everything.
All that being said, playing against a couple of friends in a hotseat match is the best way to play Heroes imo. Just imagine all the rage if you pull off the “dracageddon” and have the shackles of war at the same time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lei_wulong:

Just imagine all the rage if you pull off the “dracageddon” and they have the shackles of war at the same time.

Here, fixed that for ya. :)

Yes, constraints play huge role. Random, sadly, too, say your wizard army of a lot of titans etc, get augmented by a SINGLE archangel (out of refugee camp) – there goes your speed advantage, there go dragons. No archangel – no speed boost, you get ripped apart.

Sadly, I had only one experience point in playing HMM3 with friends hotseat. I was the barbarian and played early behemoths, my ally was a rampart, enemy were tower and something else. Only me and enemy tower had some PVM experience in HMM3, but tower lost all his magic resources to something, or just badly planned, and got archmagi as blocker stack (on snow, note that). Obviously, he lost one more week to break through them, while I raved across the land with 2 behemoths and ballista. They conceded.

Flag Post

I usually play Necro but as a challenge we played as all random once in a while. That one time the random number god screwed me up a lot, not only did I get Rampart, which isn’t a bad town but I’m not too good with it, but I also got that useless Eagle Eye imbecile Malcolm.
But then in the second week the random number god was merciful, a certain hero appeared in a tavern, I hired him, he kicked ass with his Sharpshooters.
That’s right, it was Gelu. As soon as one of my opponents saw him, he said “Fuck this, I’m out!”