The ESRB is Messed Up

13 posts

Flag Post

They rate their games terribly!! They rated AC III M for what reason..? Wow, I killed a guy, and 2 pixels of blood came out. So that automatically counts as gore? Wow. They say “ass”. I’m sure kids playing have heard or said WORSE than that themselves. So, because of this, many kids with strict parents are not allowed to play amazing games, like Skyrim, AC III, Halo Series. Am I wrong?

Flag Post

Yes, you are wrong. There is a lot of violence in the Assassin’s Creed series, mainly stemming from the fact that your job as an assassin is to essentially be a vigilante, and go around killing people (yes, they may have done wrong, or at least you believe so, but you’re taking the law into your own hands). This is not appropriate material for younger gamers, as is it often the case that they may have trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality. Therefor, it is not recommended that younger gamers play games that glorify the necessity for violence.

Flag Post

Rating summary: This is an action-adventure game in which players assume the role of Desmond, an assassin who must revisit the lives of his ancestors during the American Revolutionary War. Most missions require players to find, stalk, and kill enemies with a variety of weapons (e.g., muskets, handguns, bayonets, tomahawks). Players can also engage in swordfights with armed soldiers, resulting in depictions of impaled characters and occasional slow-motion effects; large blood splashes appear when enemies are injured. Cinematic cutscenes depict additional blood splatter on characters’ bodies and/or clothing, along with more intense acts of violence: an unarmed prisoner getting his throat slit; a man getting shot in the head at close range; a man getting bludgeoned in the head with a cleaver. The dialogue contains a variety of sexual material/innuendo: “King Louis filled the place with whores to keep his men from turning tail,” “[H]ere you are banging my sister behind my back,” “Don’t flog the bishop again, lads,” “[T]hey spend 20 minutes simulating . . . sex and walk off with millions.” The game also contains the words “f**k” and “sh*t.” (spoken in both English and French).

Flag Post

Okay, fine, don’t let me edit my post. My point is: you’re being intentionally misleading about your subject matter, OP, and it’s clear that that’s the only way you think you can make your point. Two pixels of blood? The worst swear word you can think of is “ass”? The ESRB has a laundry list of these things posted on their site for every game they’ve ever rated. If you want your answer, go there.

(They actually went to the trouble of including “shit” and “fuck” in both languages? Way to be thorough, Ubi Montreal!)

Flag Post

yes but, i went my local big lots one day, and tried to get final fantasy: crystal Chronicles: the crystal bearers for wii. it was rated T for teen (meaning i had to be 13 to purchase it) but get this! they said i needed to be EIGHTEEN to purchase it! now THAT’s fucked up!

Flag Post

At least they stopped rating things M for ‘Demonic Images’…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

At least they stopped rating things M for ‘Demonic Images’…

They did that? Hah!

Flag Post
Originally posted by PvZpro:

yes but, i went my local big lots one day, and tried to get final fantasy: crystal Chronicles: the crystal bearers for wii. it was rated T for teen (meaning i had to be 13 to purchase it) but get this! they said i needed to be EIGHTEEN to purchase it! now THAT’s fucked up!

That’s the store’s fault. HEB required me to show my ID when I bought a bottle of sparkling grape juice. It’s just carbonated, non-alcoholic juice. The law doesn’t require it, but either HEB or the employee was too ignorant to let me buy it without identification.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

That’s the store’s fault. HEB required me to show my ID when I bought a bottle of sparkling grape juice. It’s just carbonated, non-alcoholic juice. The law doesn’t require it, but either HEB or the employee was too ignorant to let me buy it without identification.

its a conspiracy to mind rape people!

Flag Post

in england (and the EU, not europe) we have PEGI and i’ve never really seen any problem with ratings for games (3, 12, 16, 18 years old)

assassins creed is a much more violent (graphically) game then halo with a lot more moral dilemmas which younger people may not under stand, AC3 got an 18 rating while halo got 16

Flag Post
Originally posted by ThetaPrime01400:

They rate their games terribly!! They rated AC III M for what reason..? Wow, I killed a guy, and 2 pixels of blood came out. So that automatically counts as gore? Wow. They say “ass”. I’m sure kids playing have heard or said WORSE than that themselves. So, because of this, many kids with strict parents are not allowed to play amazing games, like Skyrim, AC III, Halo Series. Am I wrong?

now to be fair the ESRB DO rate their games terribly! like i was playing new super mario bros for the DS the first boss fight, BOWSER FALLS INTO THE LAVA, HIS FLESH MELTS LEAVEING NOTHING BUT A SKELETON THAT FLOATS BACK UP WHILE MARIO SAYS “THAT’S A SO NICE!” you are SICK nintendo!

Flag Post
Originally posted by ThetaPrime01400:

now to be fair the ESRB DO rate their games terribly! like i was playing new super mario bros for the DS the first boss fight, BOWSER FALLS INTO THE LAVA, HIS FLESH MELTS LEAVEING NOTHING BUT A SKELETON THAT FLOATS BACK UP WHILE MARIO SAYSTHAT’S A SO NICE!” you are SICK nintendo!

>first boss fight
>bowser

Flag Post

It really is Bowser. Bowser Jr. resurrects him at the end of the game with black magic and he becomes the final boss as well. I’m not even exaggerating, it’s like they took the story of the 80s game and somehow made it even more hardcore.