How to spread a game

9 posts

Flag Post

How does a game get 10,000 plays within the first day it was published? I dont mean the games like Nano Wars 2, and Frantic 3, whose developers already have a good reputation, and probably have thousands of people checking their development of games. What I am saying is how does a game, made by a brand new developer, get thousands of plays on the first day?

For example, I cant even FIND my game (without going to my profile) on kongregate. So, even if it was as good as, say, skyrim, how are people meant to find/play it? let alone thousands of people?

Oh, by the way, most, if not all, of you will just say “Just make an amazing game”, but I am looking for a way to actually spread a game throughout kongregate. I just dont see how simply having a great game will get you thousands of plays within a few hours.

Flag Post

There are people that browse the New Games section. If they receive a high enough rating and plays, they generally get to the front page or Hot New Games section. Once they get there, the number of plays usually sky-rockets. Unless you are a known developer or have a lot of sponsors, you have to have a lot of friends vote your game into the Hot New Games section and out of the fire-pit of the New Games section. If you don’t have many friends or enough followers to do that, you have to present your game so well that people will actually play it. In addition, you need to have developed a game that is good enough to be rated well. When in the New Games section, people generally choose to play the games that stand out with the most game-plays.

Flag Post

THANK you slasher. That explains the situation perfectly :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by slasher:

If they receive a high enough rating and plays, they generally get to the front page or Hot New Games section.

Orly? Because I saw quite a few games that clearly got there with $$$ devs payed to Kong.

Flag Post

Well, it used to be the case that popularity got things to the front page. It’s likely that certain developers like Armor Games would get their games instantly loaded to the front page because they are a known and respected sponsor of games. What I’ve said is how the system should work, even though I have many doubts. Should we initiate a political battle within Kongregate to support our conspiracy theory? Just now, I’ve found a great dungeon crawler that I know will never get anywhere out of the new games section, even though it is front page material.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lavaflame2:
I just dont see how simply having a great game will get you thousands of plays within a few hours.

Why not?

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:
I just dont see how simply having a great game will get you thousands of plays within a few hours.

Why not?

The way I am thinking about it is that the developer had no connections with anyone. No one will know he/she/they even made the game, let alone 10’s of thousands of people knowing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

Why not?

The way I am thinking about it is that the developer had no connections with anyone. No one will know he/she/they even made the game, let alone 10’s of thousands of people knowing.

I get your point. Already having a big name means you don’t need that much advertising since people are already interested in your brand. An upstart developer however needs to spread information before people get to know about it.

By the way, Maplestory guy?

Flag Post

pretty same here :D i am also looking for ways to spread