Connect 4 Tournament

21 posts

Flag Post

Hi everyone. How many people would participate in a Connect 4 Tournament through a site called The Battle Begins? It’s a site where you “battle” other users for “points” or "credits. You can purchase items with points such as gaming accessories, consoles as well as gift cards. Credits are equivalent to dollars. 1 Credit is a dollar and transactions can be conducted through paypal.

But anyway, what I mainly would like to know is how many of you would like to participate in a one day Connect 4 tournament. It’ll be during a Saturday and the top 3 finishers will be awarded with “battle points” that they’ll be able to spend on various gaming items.

Just wanted to take a poll because although the tournament hasn’t been set up yet, we would love to have one.

The site is www.thebattlebegins.com

Flag Post

I strongly urge most Kongregate users to sign up for The Battle Begins because one of our most popular games played amongst users is Connect 4… here on Kongregate! Two other big games played are Halo 3 and Madden 09. There is also a Halo 3 Tournament coming up (free entry, cash prize) but the Madden 09 Tournaments have ended. Please sign up!

Flag Post

JonTang92.

JTang.

Methinks these are the same person. ;)

Flag Post

Rofl. We get that a lot. We’re twins. I mean if we were the same person, wouldn’t one of them be like a level 1 and the other a level 20?

Flag Post

… that’s just funny, twins! giggles :3

Cool website, though!

Flag Post

Anyway, we at TBB just wanted to take a poll on how many people we would expect if we were to hold a Connect 4 tournament.

Flag Post

We’re not multis :P
Im Jeff, he’s Jon

Flag Post

uh. Connect 4 is a beatable game…. whoever goes first can win 100% of the time with perfect play. I have a DOS computer program that plays perfect Connect 4… not really the best game to have a cash tournament for, given that information.

but, hell… if you’re going to run a tournament with the ability to get points for prizes, i’d definitely participate… given the fact that i almost certainly would win. or have a 50/50 shot vs someone else with a program that’ll play perfectly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tasselfoot:

uh. Connect 4 is a beatable game…. whoever goes first can win 100% of the time with perfect play. I have a DOS computer program that plays perfect Connect 4… not really the best game to have a cash tournament for, given that information.

but, hell… if you’re going to run a tournament with the ability to get points for prizes, i’d definitely participate… given the fact that i almost certainly would win. or have a 50/50 shot vs someone else with a program that’ll play perfectly.

You might not always go first, and cheating of any way will not be tolerated, including 3rd party programs… Besides its free entry. It is just a test. If you do decide to sign up you will most likely be disqualified.
We also hold tournaments for Halo 3 and Madden 09 (the Madden ones are just about done). You could sign up for those if you like. The prize is much greater than the Connect 4. A Grifball Tournament is also in development.

Flag Post

i was trying to help you. not just me, but anyone. and i’m sure others won’t be nearly as forthcoming as i am. not to mention, while you are 100% guaranteed to win going first, you’ll still win 99.9% going second against someone who is not using a program. it’s basically impossible to play perfectly without computer assistance or thousands upon thousands of games played under specific testing criteria.

but, of course, i’m sure you won’t listen to me. because what do i know? not like i run a large and successful game site or anything.

Flag Post

I’ve actually come really close to beating FuzenAkuma when he was using a program. He was obviously destined to win from the start, but I was happy that it took him nearly the entire board in order to get me.

But yeah, C4 is one of those games where it’s quite hard to tell if someone’s using a program or not. However, there are ways to check for this by having the program play each game on your end, and then check this against what the player actually does. You’d have to do this with any program you can get your hands on in order to see what the player may actually be using. That’s really the best you can do unless you require video proof for each play.

You can say “we won’t tolerate cheating,” but people who are cheating are obviously not going to stop unless you catch them. So, that’s one measure you can use to guard against it all. I don’t think telling Tass that he’d be disqualified was really fair, by the way. The point was valid and relevant. Connect 4 is easy to cheat at, and many people do it. In a large tournament, you’re almost guaranteed to run into the problem a few times.

Flag Post

Alright thanks for the heads up. But a general consensus on how many people would enter the tourney is needed. Hopefully none of them cheat but we would have to create some ways like what you said before with how to stop cheating to occur.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrRubix:

I’ve actually come really close to beating FuzenAkuma when he was using a program. He was obviously destined to win from the start, but I was happy that it took him nearly the entire board in order to get me.

But yeah, C4 is one of those games where it’s quite hard to tell if someone’s using a program or not. However, there are ways to check for this by having the program play each game on your end, and then check this against what the player actually does. You’d have to do this with any program you can get your hands on in order to see what the player may actually be using. That’s really the best you can do unless you require video proof for each play.

You can say “we won’t tolerate cheating,” but people who are cheating are obviously not going to stop unless you catch them. So, that’s one measure you can use to guard against it all. I don’t think telling Tass that he’d be disqualified was really fair, by the way. The point was valid and relevant. Connect 4 is easy to cheat at, and many people do it. In a large tournament, you’re almost guaranteed to run into the problem a few times.

Alright. I’m sorry for the “disqualification” and it was wrong. I take it back. But he was somewhat implying that he was going to use the program by saying that he would win or lose only when someone else used the program

Flag Post

Alright thanks for the heads up. But a general consensus on how many people would enter the tourney is needed. Hopefully none of them cheat but we would have to create some ways like what you said before with how to stop cheating to occur.

It is impossible for you to prevent cheating in the manner Tasselfoot describes.

Flag Post

Well, none of our users have ever been suspected of cheating… seeing how i beat every one of them but that is besides the point. Connect 4 is not a popular game on the internet, even though it may be on Kongregate so i doubt many people know of cheating programs for the game. We were just wondering if anyone would like to participate in this. If your intentions are to cheat, there is nothing we can do about it now, but maybe in the future we can implement a “video proof” of some sort.

Flag Post

Well If anyone is interested, we set up the tournament for the 21st. Check out the site if you’re interested.

www.thebattlebegins.com

Connect 4 Tournament Registration
http://www.thebattlebegins.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10580#post10580

Flag Post

Start signing up!

Flag Post

wtf

Flag Post

What?

Flag Post

Well it seems like this tournament might be cut in half since we don’t have enough participants. This doesn’t mean that you can’t still sign up.

Flag Post

heyy people, can someone advise me on a way too know when a tournament is up and running? shout or whisper on mi page ty :)