Black Navy War: Guide

39 posts

Flag Post

Heres my guide to “Black Navy War”
Its a good fun game; try it if you haven’t
http://www.kongregate.com/games/njellyfish/black-navy-war

I noticed some players mentioning they had trouble with the game: so Im writing this to try and help.
Guide
Step one the basics
First step toward success is resource generating. Upgrade recycler and supply line as soon and as often as you can. I go with recycler first. Because upgrading these is so important this is also where I would recommend placing your skill points.
Resources are critical to overwhelming your opponent. In general your goal should be to useless resources then your opponent
Then I employ 3 strategies Turtle-ling, Counter Attack, and Overwhelming.
Turtle-ling
Turtle-ling is your main strategy. While your turtle-ling you focus on destroying the enemy units with the Cannon (artillery battery). The cannon is your best friend through the game and is what gives you the edge against the CPU. Just let the enemy continue to attack you while you upgrade supply line and recycler. Then save up resources. Buy more cannons if you need to but I usually make do with one or two. Around level 8 I find the need for a full battery of cannons. Turtle until your having trouble with submarines and air attacks. Because your cannon can’t deal with these you need to employ the counter attack.
Counter Attack
The Counter Attack is necessary when your opponent starts using units you can’t deal-with with just the cannon. These are the airplanes and submarines. When you see the enemy launch these units get ready to launch a counter attack. wait till their close to your base and build a few units. Trying to out number them 3:1 or if you can 2:1 (well 2or3 destroyers can take out any light planes and subs). Once you fight off the key units let your counter attack go. Dont keep building units. let them die and get back to turtle-ling. In the first few levels you have to use frigates submarines and helicopters to counter attack. but as soon as you get the destroyer he does the job for the rest of the game.
Destroyer
The Destroyer is pound for pound your best unit. He gets most of the jobs done and at a good cost. His flak cannon weapon is unsurpassed in air defense.
Frigates help against the atomic sub.
Eventually once youve saved up some resources and upgraded supply line and recycler to max. Ill upgrade repair if its been needed. and I upgrade build speed to level 3. This is when I get ready to overwhelm!
Overwhelm
This is the stage where you make your move to beat the level. Wait till you beat down your oppent and start building lots and lots units. I start with destroyers (earlier use the newest unit) building 10+ (you’ll want enough that you can one hit bombers later) then I start speckling in other units like cruisers, subs. I build tons of cruisers if my destroyers are holding up and subs are good because with all the action going on up top they can stay alive down low and are cheap. Skip building, torpedo Bombers, Fighters, helicopters, aircraft carriers, and atomic subs; they just aren’t effective enough for the cost (though there are times when its smart to use a few).
Once you can get the heavy bomber you need to use him smartly. Its one of the best damage dealers but rather fragile for the huge cost. wait until your overwhelm is got a good foot hold on your opponents door step and un leash a few. But if you on a level with a flagships and battleships be careful. (ill talk more about flagship levels later). I try to spread them out so they are fairly close so if there is air defense it only targets the lead.
Flagships
Against flagships and battleships you need to exercise some tactics. Turtle back into your cannon range. You cant damage the enemy base while there flag ship s out so you might as well take advantage of your cannons and travel less space for reinforcements. but you have to be aggressive taking out the fodder infront of the big ships so your numbers can focus them. because they will make quick work of your destroyers and cruisers if left to long. Good use of bombers is very important. And on some levels they may start hurting your base if thats the cause make sure your repairing upgraded.
Extra tips
-Your Battleship can be useful but its fragile alone. Only use it when youve got a meat shield. or use it as a meat shield to build back up. If your approaching a turtle time be ready to bring them back.
-The Aircraft carrier is a good meat shield but expensive. Be cautious using them because they aren’t damage dealers and cant do much on their own.
-You eventually get an extension to your base. Now you can reach your opponents base with your cannons. Take aim!
-On Stage nine the boss is a giant blimp. Have your destroyers ready (he comes when the enemy base is around 1200hp). and have them staggered. He unleashes huge damage and can destroy your whole fleet if you dont have enough destroyers to take him out quick.
The End
There you have it. Thats my take on the game.
It takes some tampering and fine tuning to get use to everything. But with a mix of turtle-ling, counter attacks, and overwhelming, you can beat the game.
Good luck and have fun!
My regards to the developer great game thanks!

Flag Post

Please note that you can build more than one fortress and therefore more than 3 extra turrets, use this to your advantage in later levels. Also note that Patrol boats can save your ass if you are losing health quickly (figure it out).

Always go in this order Supply line – 5,
3 – 5 destroyers (constant),
Recycler – 5,
Full Batteries,
Fortress,
Full batteries,
Full torpedo,
Full Repair and Factory.

General Gameplay;
The whole point of the game is: Build, Attack, Defend and Destroy, every time.

You build your defenses making only enough ships to survive :: Attack them down a few thousand health, they counterattack :: Destroy their battleships and flagship :: Destroy their base with a full on attack once you have rebuilt your resources.

Flagship Hindeburg : It will take out all your attacking force so make sure you have followed my steps and when the enemy force gets to your fortress, spam 6 and shoot all your turrets at it. When that is done spam 6, 3 and Q.

Flagship : Yamato, use multiple fortresses to defeat this badass, I defeated him in about a minute.

Far more simple and to the point n_n Multiple fortresses is the way to go if you are just trying to hold out. Im not sure how people get such high scores like 150,000 (any more is almost definitely hacking =/) Any input on that would be appreciated.

Flag Post

Nice guide. But I’m finding myself wondering what affects the Score Rate? And what is the trick to getting 3 stars on every level? I’m stuck with a 0,9 Score Rate and a single star…?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Stendus:

Nice guide. But I’m finding myself wondering what affects the Score Rate? And what is the trick to getting 3 stars on every level? I’m stuck with a 0,9 Score Rate and a single star…?

I’d also like to know how to get more than one star. I’ve tried delaying winning till I’m on 0 score rate and I’ve tried rushing the enemy and still 1 star on every level

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:
Originally posted by Stendus:

I’d also like to know how to get more than one star. I’ve tried delaying winning till I’m on 0 score rate and I’ve tried rushing the enemy and still 1 star on every level

I think it depends on the total score you have. I don’t know for sure, but holding out to get more score seems to be counterproductive. If the game gets too long, the score ratio lowers, meaning you’ll get less score as time goes by, which makes a long drawn out “Epic War”-esque battle, even more long drawn.

Flag Post

Question: This just happened to me on stage 7 of BNW. Please tell me it’s a glitch.

Also, as to the score rate: One easy way to get extra stars is max out ship health, as that gets you an extra 10k points.

Flag Post

I should note that I only get 1or2 stars on levels. The guide is mostly on how to beat the game. I Havnt tried replaying for score.

edit: I just double checked and I got 3 stars on level 6 with 41,000 points. 2 stars on level 8 with 53,000, 2 stars level 9 with 76,000. only 1 star on level 10 with 78,000 but I found level 10 very easy even with just one battery(ill replay it).

High Scores and stars, seem to be a combination of speed, destruction, building and losing fewer units.

Flag Post

I’m 100% sure thats a glitch.

How do you make screenshots anyway?

Flag Post

i dont know how you have mannaged that but hell … id hate to be in your possition fuzzybacon ….

Flag Post

fuzzybacon that is a lot of ariplanes

Flag Post
Originally posted by Axel_Freelancer:

i dont know how you have mannaged that but hell … id hate to be in your possition fuzzybacon ….

I quit that game. There’s no way I could have won that.

Flag Post

My scores/stars so far:

Stage 1 – 31080 *­*­*
Stage 2 – 25090 * (36190 *­*­*)
Stage 3 – 21780 * (38962 *­*­*)
Stage 4 – 25750 ­* (38754 *­*­*)
Stage 5 – 28260 * (45166 *­*­*)
Stage 6 – 37044 ­*­* (52376 *­*­*)
Stage 7 – 40570 ­­*­* (49590 *­*­*)
Stage 8 – 58278 ­­**­*
Stage 9 – 66038 * (83894 *­*­*)
Stage 10 – 94410 ­** (101592 *­*­*)

They’ve gotta be purely score based. The trick is triggering a massive counter attack while your score rate is still ~0.9 so you can optimize the points per kill. One patrol boat (20 hp) scores 20 points when the score rate = 1, 18 when the score rate = 0.9 etc…
In the earlier levels, you should be able to get by without needing to purchase any extra turrets, just be wary of finishing off the base as you’re critically damage it. The latter few (with fortresses) require an initial push to break the fortress, then extreme turtle action while you bolster you artillery.
Having your “base max life” skill maxed doubles your score bonus (10,000 to 20,000) at the end provided your base is fully repaired, very helpful on the earlier levels.
Also, submarines in large numbers are extremely effective. The only thing that can break up a “wolf pack” is a bomber. Frigates get smoked before they can take out more than one or two.

Flag Post

What im interested in knowing is at what point the flagships come out. Ive only seen them on half the levels.

Flag Post
Originally posted by krozz:

What im interested in knowing is at what point the flagships come out. Ive only seen them on half the levels.

There are Flagships on levels 2,4,6,8,9, & 10.

They come out once youve damaged the opponents base enough. Different levels have different trigger points for their flag ship. its around 600-800 (hp left on the enemy base) on level ten but 1200 on level eight.

Flag Post

yeah thats a glitch, as for making screenshots.

PrtSc then go into paint, Ctrl+V then edit out any bits you don’t want.

i have done it plenty of times.

as for the Yamato, beat that without 2 fortresses, the trick is to get all 9 guns pounding it while at the same time throw in a battleship or two along with spamming destroyers.

subs are good but they can’t hit any air, a bunch of torp bombers will kill ’em fast.

Flag Post

the aircraft carrier is the best meat shield (as far as i know) becuase, point for point, you get the most health. the destroy gets 2000hp for 2500 resources, as in 4:5 ratiowise, while the aircraft carrier gets 4000hp for 4000 resources, as in 1:1, which means for each resource points, you get 1 point of hp

Flag Post

So I totally just broke the game. You can build more than one fortress.

Basically, once you’ve built and armed one, save up 6k and wait for the build timer on the fortress to go down to 0. The icon never turns white, but you can click it, and it stacks a new fortress underneath the first one, and you can build extra turrets. I cut through the final boss in about 15 seconds using this (It works as many times as you are willing to do it).

Flag Post

If you’re trying to just beat the game, sure, blast the hell outta Yamato with 50 cannons. But it takes waaaaaay to much time to build more than two fully armed fortresses if you’re going for points. I still can’t finish it off fast enough to break 100k; I either get overwhelmed and my ass blown off, or I trigger it too late and miss the mark by ~5k. Is an aircraft carrier > 2 battleships? The carrier gets a better ratio, but it has absolutely pathetic firepower in comparision.

EDIT: OK, just got 3 stars on level 10. Very likely it’ll be 100k on that one. Approximate strategy:
To start, upgrade supply 4 times, recycler 4 times (destroy patrol boats as late as possible to maximize effectiveness), make destroyer/frigate combo x2 (or three if you get unlucky), max supply line, max recycler.
Next, continue destroyer/frigate stalling while building three or four more artillery guns. Mass ~4k resources and rush an armada of subs and destroyers, garnish with a few frigates as necessary.
The fortress should be 75% sunk as the Reds counter. Replace destroyer losses in between a couple battleships. Depending on how well your counter attack survives, you may need to repeat the sub/destroyer rush.
Complete your artillery sextet and hunker down as your battleships are slowly ripped apart by the enemy’s main base. Save up for a fortress of your very own and fill the three artillery slots.
Prepare the big push, battleships, destroyers, subs, some frigates. You should destroy most or all of the automated defenses before Yamato comes to wreck your day. You should also be able to make another fortress with full artillery detail. Time a second push as you fleet begins to dwindle to stick Yamato in the maximum zone of fire. I was able to build a third stocked fortress before the beast went down.
This is the trickiest part; before Yamato is in its final death throws, make sure you have just enough firepower to finish it off. The enemy base should be ~650 and you don’t want to blow it up just yet. When you sink the titan, make just enough subs/frigates to handle everything below, and blast the defenseless ships above with your 12-15 artillery guns. You should be at just under 80,000 points or so before the enemy is reduced to a trickle and you can thrust the final dagger it its heart.

Two side notes:
1. I’ve found it helpful to train my guns on bombers so they go down just a little faster. Those things hurt. Lots.
2. Train your gun so it hits the first missile battery on the enemy fortress, after you get the gun set, quit and reload. Your gun will stay in position and you can get in some cheap shots before the first patrol boat is even on the field.

Flag Post

I never said it would get you a highscore. But it definitely works :P

Flag Post

Good guide, but it’s actually better to put stars into your base instead. That gives you more points, allowing you to get more stars.

Also, sacrificing more ships to your enemy allows them to build more ships, which means you have more ships to destroy, which gives you more points which ultimately gives you more stars.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GOTW:

Also, sacrificing more ships to your enemy allows them to build more ships, which means you have more ships to destroy, which gives you more points which ultimately gives you more stars.

Are you sure about that or does it just seem like it should work like that? I see no significant difference in number of enemy units in a level in which I build 40 or 400 vessels.

Flag Post

Can someone post a list of the units that become available at each point? I’ve only gotten one star on most of the levels, do more units become unlocked after each level if you get more stars?

Flag Post

Well,When I spam patrol boats on level 1 and 2 as well as other ships,they seem to start sending out more ships.Maybe thats dependant on how many ships you have at any 1 time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by peterpan02001:

Can someone post a list of the units that become available at each point? I’ve only gotten one star on most of the levels, do more units become unlocked after each level if you get more stars?

Nope, you just unlock them based on number of levels completed.

Flag Post

I’ve beaten level 3 half a dozen times, but i still cant proggress, WHY IS THIS!