If Caravaneer 2?

107 posts

Flag Post

If caravaneer is released or prepared to be released, what should be things to be in game? Here’s my idea..
1. traditional buy and sell.
2. escape from robbers mode
3. own a business or factory! (like jewelers, cotton farm, farm or factory)
4. customizable stat upgrade.
5. terrain type advantage (take cover behind a rock or a tree).
6. ability to build outpost!
Please give some idea for the caravaneer 2 theory!

Flag Post

i loved the first one so i say bring on another and t209 i agree with all of those things

Flag Post

Obviously, the creator of Caravaneer don’t come here that much. Also, he has never spoken any words about the sequel, so very unlikely to be happened.

Flag Post

The old Caravaneer too quickly graduated to stage where I could afford anything and just had to make damn milions for final mission. The early to mid stage needs to be longer.

Flag Post

We already had Frontier, which is a Caravaneer with better graphics. I don’t know if there can be much news, man. Maybe a story mode? Something more of an open world RPG with events being triggered at random? But I know that would be too much to ask from a Flash game. I think the Caravaneer genre may be already saturated.

Flag Post

I have put a lot of thought into making a sequel to Caravaneer, because it is a great game and the genre is far from being saturated (Frontier, frankly, was disappointing and I wouldn’t consider it on the same level). Obviously, though, I am not the original maker and if I ever get the time to make it (around a full-time job, not likely anytime soon) I would need his permission to use any of the original titles and concepts.

@t209: what exactly do you mean by traditional buy and sell? The main problem I had with Caravaneer (and many other games involving trading) is the economy is far too easy to break, so most of my work so far has been trying to design a functional game economy that fits the setting and works reasonably well. Player-owned businesses would be nice, but would have to be extremely expensive and unprofitable to avoid having the PC soon drowning in cash. My main approach has been a world of limited resources – everything is in-game at the start, nothing new is created like random drops – but this means no randomly generated enemies, and so the world would quickly run out of people to fight.

Any thoughts? I know a sequel is a popular idea (which is why I want to make it), but can everyone agree on how it can be improved?

Flag Post

To not destroy the idea of everything dissapearing at one point because it has been used up have places like farms or mines and a towns proximity to this mine or farm affects the price also these places may be able to be taken over personly i love the caravaneer type of game and i do wish for a sequel well who knows?

Flag Post

A few managment strategies:
1)alliances with factions
2)being able to be with the robbers
3)being able to organize it’s own coup
4)create towns
5)create business (factories, oil drilling)
6)create weapon factories so they dont magically appear in the shops
7)more products in markets.
8)maybe being able to play online with other players
9)being able to control regiments and not anly it s own caravan

Flag Post

I honestly would love to see a Caravaneer 2, or a game that is in the same exact style. I loved this game, the long runs to get enough money to finally buy that freakin’ gun, and eventually to get a vehicle and start hauling your crap over huge distances. But once you get a speedy transport, it does get way too quick, money shoots up like crazy and you start raking in the cash. So if a second game was made, balancing it out so that it isn’t too easy later on and it keeps it’s difficulty would be good. The enemies constantly get tougher, so the battles are like that, but once you have a ton of money it’s just not as fun. I liked struggling to keep my technology up to date with the bandit’s armory.

Flag Post

@Mathzip: diplomacy and relations with different factions in the game (mostly independant city-states in my game) is something I want to include, and the state of these relations will affect goods prices and availability in each city. There will also be more products, most of which would be logical rather than random (do we really need shoes and clothes to be seperate, when ‘food’ is lumped in as one product?), and produced according to how many people in the town are making them and how much of the prerequisite products are available.
As for creating towns and businesses, I still can’t see a way to have these without breaking the economy a million times faster than it does already. The amount of raw materials would need to be heavily restricted and the profit each factory makes will have to be barely worth it, and even then people would just run the game for hours at a time idling to make money from factories. I’d like to make the game economy more difficult to break, not easier…
An MMO version is something else I want to do, but the entire combat system needs overhauling for that to work – do you really want to have to pause and wait every time some people are having a turn-based battle somewhere?

@OverYonder: This seems to be the main problem I and everyone else had with the first game. One way to solve this that I want to try is having the robbers and other caravaneers behave in the same way as the player – the game keeps track of their location, equipment, money, etc. Then bandits should improve at the same rate as the player, and other caravaneers should get equally rich and so buy up goods before the player can get most of them. This combined with my idea of a limited-resource world, where nothing appears out of nowhere and goods need people working on them to be made, should make it much more enjoyable in the long-run. I just need to figure out how to keep the number of robbers high enough to make them a problem – perhaps have them run away, instead of being butchered completely every fight. Players will probably need a difficult but usable chance of running away successfully, too, or it’ll be too hard.

To everyone reading and hoping for a sequel: As stated above, I am not even close to finishing this game, or even starting it, but I would like to make it at some point, when my job is less frantic and stressful. I may be shooting myself in the foot talking about it on here, and getting lots of hopes up for no reason, as there is no guarantee I’ll ever be able to make it, but I’m hoping that by mentioning it on here, it will give me incentive to work on it – it’s much easier to work on something if you know people want it, rather than giving in to your own doubts about the quality of your work and leaving it to gather dust (like the other few games I’m working on…)

Flag Post

i would love to see a carvaneer 2. i like most of what xodion is saying in ecomemy i would like to add a lot more weapons and somewhere along the line the ability to creat your own weapon. would love to be able to rename some people but one thing i would add is an outside place where caravans and robbers come from but not at an alarming rate. would love for some better story line and possible a accual single fight mode where you pick how many people you have and how many robbers eqiup with what or have a randomize buttin for it. seriously hope for a spin-off or sequal.

Flag Post

i wouldnt mind being able to buy a tank or apc or something also id really like it if u were able to recruit the robbers to join ur team

Flag Post

There were a few things I wanted while playing through my many of many Caravaneer playthroughs. Even though I haven’t finished the game yet, I’ve put a lot of time into playing. I would love to see if a second Caravaneer could fix speed or trading woes.

For battles:
1) Being able to zoom out and show the whole map
2) Autolocate enemy

I really hate having to scan the whole map trying to find enemies.

For trading:
1) Put all items on one screen
2) Make items sortable
3) Have cities produce certain items by force feeding them supplies (not sure if this is possible in the first game)

It would be nice to save some fuel and not have to travel all the way across the map for cheap textiles. =)

For overworld:
1) Being able to mouse over your caravan and see a window of food/water/etc

Just for ease of availability. I like pretending that weird frame at the bottom doesn’t exist.

Flag Post

i can c wat u mean about the battlefield and trading the fuel thing id say its just natural cause the farther u move the more fuel u use

Flag Post

also xodian r u still planning on making a sewuel u havent said much lately

Flag Post

as far as a sequel some things i would like to see
ability to buy out robbers or militaries or lead a coup
more guns
random animals entering battles (snakes procupines etc) independent cities with their own officals and wars
loans
more cities
more goods
electronics
copper
silver
actual currencies for each city
a stock market would balance factiries
outside forces (invasions from other continents)
sea faring vehicles
planes
desil

Flag Post

id also like if u were able to run for a government position or end up founding a new desert patrol or robbers organization or found ur own town or something like that

Flag Post

Some Ideas for Caravaneer 2
1-More gun/weapon variety(bigger guns)
2-More vehicle/animal variety(vehicles with weapon mounts)
3-More goods/products variety
4-More cities
5-Even bigger map (maybe 10x bigger than old)
6-More missions
7-Longer storylines
8-More secrets-(like rare weapons or vehicles or places)
9-Find abandoned goods or vehicles in the desert
10-More color variation(not just tan deserts and cities)
11-Something besides stars and circles for cities and groups traveling the desert
12-More music variety
13-An online multiplayer server where players can battle each others caravan

I like the idea of owning a certain outpost. You could find an oasis and start your own city there. You could also buy or conquer an existing village/city.

One other idea I have is that there should be an random toxic gas cloud that passes by on the travel map and you would need oxygen tanks to get through without taking damage. This would add to the challenge of making the survival more difficult.

Flag Post

im thinkig a mix between what we already have and the game feudalism

Flag Post

one other thing is the ability to more or less specalise a city u own or make it self sufficent where it doesnt need anything to be imported and only exports

Flag Post

Caravaneer played with the idea of a “pseudo” grid (I.E., a network of routes/supply lines).
Here is what i like to see:

Overall:

1. the ability to start or expand a power grid in a town; buying/selling electricity; for example, building a solar farm in the Negev of Israel.
2. relating to #1, maybe some off-grid buildings (I.E., not depending on a power grid, because it makes it’s own electricity, or simply doing without)
3. The ability to look for resources, like water; however, you need to ‘learn’ how to find, extract, process, and sell the appropriate product (say, using sonar to find fish, or whatever the oil conglomerates use to find oil).
4. The option to hunt (and not the bargain type) animals (I.E., bears, wolves, deer, wild pigs, et cetera)
5. With the talk of factions, there should be a government structure type setup (like real life, complete with tax codes of all kinds). Said taxes could be as simple as cutting a check under a flat tax, of a frustrating monstrosity. forms of government and policies matter in the sequel, as in real life
6. Different terrain is a bonus (at least to the extent that one cannot confuse Florida with Ontario)

In regards to hiring characters:

1. Backgrounds of every type for each potential employee/contractor, with pro and cons for all descriptors (like royalty would cost more, but could potentially improve your image). This would allow the player to pick and choose whom he wants to hire.
2. More jobs than just guard/carrier there are all sorts of jobs in real life (watch dirty jobs for some ideas). the most important job classes could be: Resource production/sales, security patrols, like the national/coast guard (and their offence oriented brethren, armies* and navies*), accounting/tax work, manufacturing stuff (vehicles, weapons and ammunition, and medicine)

*I would assume that the army and navy could have an aviation component.

There may be holes in my suggestions; if you find one, let me know.
Here is one thing i would like to ask, though: If one could build a town/outpost, how wold it be organized? would there be a town square?

Flag Post

The stupidity of this thread title annoys me every time I see it, which seems to be just about every other day.

Rawr.

Flag Post

I, on the other hand, am eagerly waiting the development of another Caravaneer. The original was a good game (much better than Frontier), particularly as it is unique in its story and take on the trading genre. The market was well designed with the major flaw of getting very flooded after a while. Combat was fun, graphically unimpressive and the terrain was disappointing. Weapons were well designed although sniper rifles seem underpowered. The selection was passable although more SMG’s and shotguns would have been nice. Vehicles were lacking however. Adding trucks at least would have been good, although dirtbikes (very low capacity but good economy and high speed) would be another idea. Overall, a great game. Please make us another one somebody!

Flag Post

it was a gd game and i saw on another website a 2nd 1 is being made i dont have that many details though

Flag Post

also the snipers were extrememly underpowerd and u should be able to snipe a enemy as hes coming after u and there should be untouchables aircraft artillery etc and i really like the idea of factions and u starting up ur own army/ coup and independant city states