[discussion] what to extract

17 posts

Flag Post

my way in extract is to extract only the good (2 stars) cards. and the source of good cards are mainly from race specific packs.

the speculation is good cards yield the most “magic fragment”, which is almost always in shortage. meaning that, a good card brings more magic fragments than 3 common cards do, and more that one fifth magic fragments than a rare card does.

the speculation might not be solid founded and is open for discussion.

if assume the speculation is correct, what could be a better source for good cards, novice packs, reputation shop, or else?

Flag Post

Well the best value for money would be novice packs since you can buy 5 instead of 1 standard/ race pack. Odds are you will get around 2 good cards for every pack you buy and also a chance to get a rare card. However, if you are also after picking up some good cards from packs, stay with race specifics. Rep shop is bad as each good card costs 500 silver, and there is a fairly good chance of you getting more stuff from a pack.
Also, about your theory, I have found that epic cards give you a lot of fragments and also a book of some sort (used for fusing epic or above spells) so if you have the extra cash, you could buy an elite pack for extraction (keep in mind the price for extraction – 15 for common, 45 for good, 180 for rare, 900 for epic. Extracting anything above epic is stupid)
Of course, it really depends on what level you are and the level of your lab. IMO, epics are the best for extraction, but again, if you are a lower level, stick with good cards.

Flag Post

I just buy 50 Squires from the rep store. Costs 5750 for around 100 of each fragment type. I’ve tested spending 5k on 2-star cards from the rep store and I didn’t get as much. I also tested buying the 5k packs and selling the proceeds and that will only outperform if you get a purple. But chances are you’d want to keep the purple anyway and they don’t come up often.

Flag Post

If you don’t mind the tedium of it, your best choice is to buy Novice Packs. You’ll get more mats per silver spent that way than any other way. The problem is you’ll have to buy a ton of packs, and then you’ll have to extract a ton of different cards. That takes more time and effort than just buying Squires to extract. Of course, buying Novice packs can help you get cards you can combine up into something useful.

For what it’s worth, you get basically the same amount of mats when extracting no matter the type of card you use. It works out to approximately two of each common mat per 15 silver. As in, a common card costs 15 to extract and gets you two of each; a good card costs 45 to extract and gets you six of each.

Flag Post

Here’s the min and max I’ve seen when extracting 1 and 2 star cards. If these values are off it could change the results greatly.

1-star card:
Min 1, Max 3

2-star card:
Min 5, Max 10

The avg then for a 1-star is 2, the avg for a 2-star is 7.5. That means your avg per 500 silver is 10 with 1-star cards and 7.5 with 2-star cards. Even if you factor in extraction costs (575 vs 545) it doesn’t make up for the deficit and mass buying 1-star cards is better.

For it to make no difference the Max on 2-star cards would have to be 15. Maybe it is and I’ve never seen it. My sample size was only ten 2-star cards so it’s possible.

Flag Post

But would it not be cheaper to buy three commons, combine them into a good for 60 silver and then extract it? Then it’s only 360 for the 2 star card. that would make it quite even, wouldn’t it? It would be 7.2 for commons costing 360 silver, but then again, the extraction cost is a bit higher, so it might be just the same after all.

Flag Post

i try to extract an epic card today : energy / soul / magic fragment = 100 / 114 / 156 total = 370 and a book
then 50 commons : energy / soul / magic fragment = 113 / 111 / 107 and 4 elixir of life = 331
( difference epic has 1 book, commons has 3-5 elixir of life)
common costs = 5750 silver / epic costs = 18900 silver (from reputation store)

Flag Post

humm… would a good estimate on the “worth” of book be the cost of fusing 8-9 rare skills vs fusing 1 epic?
whatever extra material the rares cost can be weighted toward the book.
I have never seen legendary in alc yet so can’t really say much on that subject.

Flag Post
Originally posted by emreulbe:

i try to extract an epic card today : energy / soul / magic fragment = 100 / 114 / 156 total = 370 and a book
then 50 commons : energy / soul / magic fragment = 113 / 111 / 107 and 4 elixir of life = 331
( difference epic has 1 book, commons has 3-5 elixir of life)
common costs = 5750 silver / epic costs = 18900 silver (from reputation store)

1 epic is not equivalent with 50 common. 3 common for 1 good, 5 good for 1 rare, 9 rare for 1 epic.

that is, 1 epic would be regarded as roughly 150 common, not 50 common.

another way of determining the exchange rate between epic and common could be based on the price in reputation shop.

common cost 100 while epic cost 18000, that is, 1 epic is equivalent to 180 common.

Flag Post

Here are is the data I collected.
Extract rank 1 cards: 7.5 average total fragments, 10% to get 1 elixir
Extract rank 2 cards: 22.5 average total fragments (I haven’t collected data on elixirs, sorry)
Extract rank 3+: not worth it, as regards to fragments.
Now let’s consider silver costs: rank 1 costs 100 to buy and 15 to extract, for a total of 115; rank 2 costs 300+60 to buy 3 commons and combine them, +45 to extract, for a total of 405, almost 4 times a common one.
Basically, as regards fragments, rank 2 costs 4 times a rank 1 but gives only 3 times the frags.
So, if you are looking for fragments, buy common ones. Or buy boosters and get crazy at finding the cards to extract xD

Flag Post

Thanks for the summary, shin. Elixirs of Life excluded, of course. :)

Oh, btw.: I usually extract cards, I have a good and 2 epics and am not using them at all. That and the failed attempts for combining 4 rares into an epic or 4 epics into a legendary is my main source.

Flag Post
Originally posted by shin89:

Here are is the data I collected.
Extract rank 1 cards: 7.5 average total fragments, 10% to get 1 elixir
Extract rank 2 cards: 22.5 average total fragments (I haven’t collected data on elixirs, sorry)
Extract rank 3+: not worth it, as regards to fragments.
Now let’s consider silver costs: rank 1 costs 100 to buy and 15 to extract, for a total of 115; rank 2 costs 300+60 to buy 3 commons and combine them, +45 to extract, for a total of 405, almost 4 times a common one.
Basically, as regards fragments, rank 2 costs 4 times a rank 1 but gives only 3 times the frags.
So, if you are looking for fragments, buy common ones. Or buy boosters and get crazy at finding the cards to extract xD

solid result.

yes, i treated 1 good as equivalent to 3 common as in the combination process, which is incorrect.
if basing the price at reputation shop, 1 good should be valued as equivalent to 5 common, which turns the corner.

the result is the same as yours. extract the common…which is consistent with the definition behind “extract”/“dispose”.

Flag Post

extracting a legendary yields 4 types of books at 6-8 a piece…for 6.5k silver…just thought I’d post it :D

Flag Post

oh, that’s very interesting! I tried to extract only till epics and I found those not to be worth it, since you get average 1 book… It can be convenient to extract those extra talenors, ophelias, hrafn and the like =)
btw, another reason to extract commons is…combining them takes time xD

Flag Post

oh, that’s very interesting! I tried to extract only till epics and I found those not to be worth it, since you get average 1 book… It can be convenient to extract those extra talenors, ophelias, hrafn and the like =)

I wish there is a sorting option that sort by copy count… digging through a total of 50+ pages to see things that are “good to combine”(4/6+ copies) is tedious… I do it once every other week thou

Flag Post

i keep all purple or above, and I keep every undead and priest— i extract everything else.

Flag Post
Originally posted by deathvonduel:

I wish there is a sorting option that sort by copy count… digging through a total of 50+ pages to see things that are “good to combine”(4/6+ copies) is tedious… I do it once every other week thou

sorting could be handy in several places, fore example, in auction house.

for the auction house, sort by ending time, sort by name, sort by bidding price, will all be handy.

back to the topic, my way in extracting is to extract all common and good released in 1.0 version.

that is, all 1.1/1.2 common and good are reserved for combining.

the ideal way is to check the card collection guide, but it is a bit tedious.