[Guide] New Player's Guide to Starting Out Right page 3

114 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by sutasafaia:

I’ve finally made it to rank 60 for knight (at level 56) and am now wondering exactly what options I have. We talked about this a little bit in the chat, but kept getting sidetracked since there are, after all, a lot of people talking and asking questions. I also have some general questions now that I am advancing (at last) and want to make sure I don’t screw something up.

First, what exactly are my options now? From what I’ve seen so far, I want to do one of these:
1: Get to R6 mage for light heal
2: Get to R21 mage for heal
3: Get to R39 for greater heal

It seems to be pretty common consensus that I want to do one of those at some point, depending on my Intelligence score. However, there is also the R90 knight that requires you to be level 75. Is it better to go for the healing spell or should I try to focus on getting my knight skill higher up?

You want some way to heal. Depending on how lucky you are with int pills the bosses you are soon to face will do significant damage. If heal can restore the majority of your HP then that’s sufficient for healing. Most people will find they need greater heal for the big hitting bosses. I find that Divine Light, the mage level 60 skill, is very helpful for that period between Devil Slayer and Divine Blade. I would go for 60 mage and then get sword to 90. The slight damage loss from having sword below your level for a bit is far outweighed by the benefit of 20% less boss damage in my opinion. Some people like Jester for Call Bunnies as well. This also depends on how quickly you approach level 75. With crystal sharing you should be able to hit 90 sword by level 75 even if you get 60 magic and 40 gun.

Second is a question about invasions and gates. I think I got this cleared up already, but checking never hurts. Until I am pill soft-capped for non-strength and non-con, I want to avoid invasions and gates so that I can still get random encounters, yes? From what I understand, neither invasions nor gates have any kind of random encounters.

Yes and avoid portals too.

-Also attached to this question, I seem to remember people saying that once you past the softcap with pills, you can trade in your stats for learning points. What is the point of this, isn’t being above softcap better? What would you even spend the LP on?

As you get higher and have found a lot of pills it could be helpful to redistribute them focused on the stats you need for your class.

Third, a specific question about Demon Slayer. It is my understanding that the R60 skill grants you the Guard skill, since it stops working on bosses. However, when I use Banish Dance, it only mentions the damage and not the increase block chance. Do you actually get the block chance and it just doesn’t mention it?

Yes, you still get the level 60 benefit even though it does not say it.

Flag Post

A lot of great tips there, but the guide is more complicated than I’d like as it is. Granted, the game isn’t as simple as it could be, but I’m leaning towards simplicity when I can. Don’t want to scare any new players off. Unless they auto-explore.

If you do decide to not use the charts below level 10, I would add that Diving in, or Scaring can have penalties like losing energy or coin. If anything, I’d say hit the explore button and keep walking. The specific level is something I question, though. I haven’t seen any hard numbers on how the value relates to the cost, so while a breakpoint is probably very likely, I’m not sure exactly where it is. If someone is willing to find out, please let us know.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NamelessMinion:

A lot of great tips there, but the guide is more complicated than I’d like as it is. Granted, the game isn’t as simple as it could be, but I’m leaning towards simplicity when I can. Don’t want to scare any new players off. Unless they auto-explore.

If you do decide to not use the charts below level 10, I would add that Diving in, or Scaring can have penalties like losing energy or coin. If anything, I’d say hit the explore button and keep walking. The specific level is something I question, though. I haven’t seen any hard numbers on how the value relates to the cost, so while a breakpoint is probably very likely, I’m not sure exactly where it is. If someone is willing to find out, please let us know.

Yes, diving would be better. An exact level is hard because the item drop level is a range. If you get lucky and always get a drop at the upper end the break even point might be level 9 or 10. It is tough collecting a lot of data since energy is limited at that level and not leveling is hard. Here is what I got for 8 beggars across 3 levels.

Level 10
Sale price= 1190, 1015, 792, 630
Cost: Non-event = 801 ; event = 1202

Level 11
11 – 2800, 2800, 2600 (I was fairly lucky here all three were level 12 items)
Cost: Non-event = 961; event = 1442

Level 12
12 – 2800
Cost: Non-event = 1153; event = 1730

Flag Post

Changed the beggar and well sections to reflect the level 10 break point. Thanks for figuring that out mdntblue

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Thanks for the sticky. Should make it easier to find for the new players.

Added section on Items in response to the questions a lot of the new players are still asking. Now the answer to every question is “ctrl v”. Mission accomplished.

Covered quests since some people weren’t clear on them still. Changed priorities on gem purchases, a few format fixes.

Flag Post

As a level 72 player, I just now read through this. Very good job explaining; I wish this existed when I’d started. There is one small, tiny detail that needs fixing, though. You alluded to the “Mind Training” quest in the section about the Wise Man. You said that you are required to click “Accept” to complete the quest. I would just like to point out that answering the trivia also counts as “talking” to the wise man.

Other relevant information: Talking to him successfully (based on Int stat) gives you more coin, but less experience than fighting. Fighting him gives more experience but less coin. I think that trivia gives more coin AND experience than the other two options, but it also requires the extra effort of Google. Basically, it’s technically not “a toss-up” like you said in the original post.

Again, very nice guide, and well worth the sticky!

Flag Post

Actually, doing Wiseman’s trivia is kind of the medium of the other two.

ACCEPT
You gained 24,227,271 coins!
You gained 2,014,051,776 experience!

TRIVIA (Success)
You gained 26,919,192 coins!
You gained 2,237,835,312 experience!

TRIVIA (Failure)
You gained 6,729,798 coins!
You gained 559,458,828 experience!

FIGHT
You received 13,459,596 coins!
You received 3,132,969,436 experience!

These values are taken from a level 71, obviously accepting is the worst out of the three options.

Flag Post

Thanks for taking the time to find out some real numbers. Comparing those like that doesn’t take into account the hassle and time of actually doing the trivia. Let’s face it: The process is annoying at best, and if you get it wrong once, that offsets the actual value. Some of them aren’t as easy to answer as others with the unreliability of the internet. Accepting is fool-proof, which is really what I was implying. I’ll clarify next time I make some changes.

Flag Post

Thanks for taking the time to find out some real numbers. Comparing those like that doesn’t take into account the hassle and time of actually doing the trivia. Let’s face it: The process is annoying at best, and if you get it wrong once, that offsets the actual value. Some of them aren’t as easy to answer as others with the unreliability of the internet. Accepting is fool-proof, which is really what I was implying. I’ll clarify next time I make some changes.

I’m not sure what kingk’s stance on using % for trivia is but you could always choose trivia, if you don’t know it type in the percent sign (%) and you get the reward as if you chose to talk. Like others I choose talk since time is my most scarce resource in this game.

I cannot recall ever receiving an item from trivia either.

Flag Post
First, the kitten you find in the tutorial is a pretty good pet. Once you get rid of it, though, you won’t be getting it back, so consider the Banker’s Guild early if you’re sentimental. It won’t have any actual purpose later, other than being adorable.

Are there two types of kittens? The marsh kitten can be reacquired.

Flag Post

There has been a petition to be able to get the kitten back. Once you hit 51, you can no longer find it.

Flag Post

i was wondering if i gain enough 20% blocks could i become invisal i prob wont rechech the form so plz pm my profile if u know

Flag Post

This guide is great it was a little confusing at first when i didnt know anything about the game but after a while i understood it and everytime somethine new came up i checked it but you left out the woman that sells enhance potions you should add that leveling up too fast in the beginning is easy to do so maybe avoid the extreme amount of xp you get from fighting her and that the magic ring raises your sp by more than 25 so it is better than the guild ring if you ignore the small armor rating so if they have to enhance a ring they can go ahead and get started on it when they get it

Flag Post

oh i was also wanting to know if the dual classes are worth it i know that’s not really a getting started thing but if your going to get magic to that lvl anyways would it be worth it to switch over to say warlord at that time?

Flag Post
Originally posted by JKuang:

Actually, doing Wiseman’s trivia is kind of the medium of the other two.

ACCEPT
You gained 24,227,271 coins!
You gained 2,014,051,776 experience!

TRIVIA (Success)
You gained 26,919,192 coins!
You gained 2,237,835,312 experience!

TRIVIA (Failure)
You gained 6,729,798 coins!
You gained 559,458,828 experience!

FIGHT
You received 13,459,596 coins!
You received 3,132,969,436 experience!

These values are taken from a level 71, obviously accepting is the worst out of the three options.

</blockquote

I would think it’s the best it has only 2 mil less gold and 0 risk of failure but i suppose it’s not the best only use if your in a hurry and/or out of sp

Flag Post
Originally posted by invokewolf8:

oh i was also wanting to know if the dual classes are worth it i know that’s not really a getting started thing but if your going to get magic to that lvl anyways would it be worth it to switch over to say warlord at that time?

Jester is useful after you get your first class to level 60. I actually waited to get Jester until I had both magic and sword at 60. Bunnies is a useful skill for bosses so you do eventually want it. The early multi-classes are pretty much useless.

Originally posted by invokewolf8:

I would think it’s the best it has only 2 mil less gold and 0 risk of failure but i suppose it’s not the best only use if your in a hurry and/or out of sp

If you use Google there is no risk of failure on trivia. You should never lose a fight to the gambler after maybe level 3 or so (unless you didn’t follow the advice here, in which case you should restart anyway).

Flag Post

By popular demand, Guild and PVP sections added.

Flag Post

As for guilds, the exp bonus can work against you early on. If you can get into one that doesn’t mind you looting often, that’s one thing, but I don’t know how to word the idea of getting into a guild for the sole purpose of selling off their vaulted items. I’m a relative lowbie in mine at 75, and they toss items in there specifically for me to sell, but not everyone will be so lucky.

Some guilds, especially ones that have lower level requirements, want you to take items to max out STR and CON, because then it can be better for the guild as a whole because you will be more helpful with invasion and demon gates, so I would ask your guild leader if it is alright if you do that. other than that, great guide, I still use it and I’m level 57.

Flag Post

Wishing Well tried to drown me at level 5… was deeper than expected and by the time I struggled back out, I had lost energy. Please update, thanks.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CreativeWords:

Wishing Well tried to drown me at level 5… was deeper than expected and by the time I struggled back out, I had lost energy. Please update, thanks.

That’s something that happens when you try to dive. You will not, however, be able to use all of the energy you have at that level so the point is completely moot.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CreativeWords:

That’s something that happens when you try to dive. You will not, however, be able to use all of the energy you have at that level so the point is completely moot.

Only issue with saying the point is moot is that the occurance can happen later on, too. On an alt I’ve had it occur in the low 50s and, by that point, you should be able to burn all your energy before leveling if you’re exploring your level area.

Flag Post

I will clarify. The well section on the guide suggests diving in until level 10 (arbitrary number, but it’s around there) After that point, diving is not recommended. Up until level 10 or so, it is nearly impossible to use all of your energy effectively (not running away from anything), so losing a few won’t make a difference. I believe the failure rate on diving is related to your con, but that’d take a lot more irrelevant testing. Also, the amount you get when diving is based on the level of the area, not your own character level.

Flag Post

So as far as the " – Play Dream World for 5 consecutive days." quest, and the daily log in/play bonus, how do you log out and in or whatever? basically I’ve been playing for a few weeks, and haven’t gotten a single day logged towards the quest or any daily crystals. Am I doing something wrong?