[Guide] New Player's Guide to Starting Out Right page 4

114 posts

Flag Post

Has the game been open in your browser the entire time? If so, and if you don’t lose connection at all, you’ll need to click the home tab and get your daily chest. If that’s not appearing ever, post in the bug report thread or pm kingk about it.

Flag Post

Thanks, will do.

Flag Post

Will need more info on the new allies before I can make any recommendations on them. For instance, if the permanent passive exp bonus is just temporary or not. Would also like data on whether or not the damage boost is passive as well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NamelessMinion:

Will need more info on the new allies before I can make any recommendations on them. For instance, if the permanent passive exp bonus is just temporary or not. Would also like data on whether or not the damage boost is passive as well.

Beauty is passive and stays with you even if you switch allies.
Visionscope is passive, but does not stay with you if you swtich allies.

Huntress vs. Eli
-Huntress is better for players that spend most of their time at Mystic Wars, Faction Wars, or Fallen, since damage bonus directly translates to an experience boost and can help you place higher in competitive environments. Visionscope and Copy will help you do a lot more damage to bosses that don’t require Protect Aura.
-Huntress’s “usefulness” is higher than Eli’s (Eli has one good skill while Huntress has three).
-Eli gives a permanent boost regardless of what you’re fighting. If you level via mainland instead of bossing, Eli’s experience boost will benefit you more.

Huntress vs. Lilith
-Copy damage is equal for both.
-Huntress has a higher block chance when maxed out.
-Lilith is better if you absolutely need Protection Aura to survive (An example would be Possessed Bosses), otherwise Huntress is better.
-Huntress is better than Lilith for “Instant Death” bosses.

Here’s an excerpt from another one of my posits regarding Huntress vs. Lilith.
-The damage from a newly purchased Huntress is better than a fully upgraded Lilith.
Lilith’s copy is 37% damage when upgraded fully, but Huntress begins with +10% damage bonus AND 25% copy damage. If you deal 1.1x damage and she copies for 25%, she’s actually dealing 27.5% in copy damage, when compared to your damage with Lilith. That gives you a total of 137.5% damage on turns she uses copy, and 110% damage on turns where she doesn’t. This is already better than what Lilith can offer. Also, damage bonus from Visionscope will benefit you every turn, while copy damage does not. That and Huntress’s higher block chance makes Huntress a very desirable ally.

Eli vs. Elf vs. Valkyrie
-Weaken percentage is the same for all three.
-Eli lacks Protect Aura and Block, so she’s not as useful when equipped.
-All three have heal, which ruins Talisman damage for mages, who want their HP to be lower for higher Talisman damage. Elf has a weaker heal than Valkyrie, and Valkyrie has a weaker heal than Eli. Generally, you want a weaker heal so that your Talisman damage gets “ruined” less.
-Eli’s Beauty skill works even though she’s not equipped, so you’re free to switch to Elf or Valkyrie, whichever you prefer.
-Eli is a worse version of either the Elf or the Valkyrie. Most players already have one of these allies upgraded, so there is no need to waste books on Eli.

Recommendations based on priorities:
For EXP: Eli for normal mobs and mainland, Huntress for bossing.
For long boss fights:
-If you can survive both the weak hit and the strong hit without protection aura – Anyone with Weaken until weakens kick in, then Huntress.
-If you can survive the strong hit, but only with protect aura – Anyone with Weaken until weakens kick in, then Lilith.
-If you can survive the weak hit, but only with protect aura – Valkyrie for the first 9 turns, then Huntress.
-If you can survive the weak hit without protect aura, but not the strong hit – Elf Princess for the first 9 turns or when weakens kick in, then Huntress.
-If you can’t survive any hit from the boss with or without protect aura – Don’t fight the boss until you level up more. But if you really have to, use Princess until weakens kick in, then switch to Huntress OR just Huntress if you feel like you do more damage that way.
For “Instant Death” bosses: Valkyrie/Elf Princess (your preference, I’m assuming you can survive the weak hit) for first 9 turns, then Huntress.
-Upgrade Eli’s beauty skill to 25, then never use her again. Elf Princess and Valkyrie are far more superior for battle. Eli should not be your primary ally.

Ally combination recommendations based on budget:
-Lilith is good, but Huntress is better for damage output. If you have to choose one over the other I would recommend Huntress.
-Lilith and Valkyrie both have protect aura. Lilith tends to make battles faster but if you are patient you can get away with only using Valkyrie for a long fight if you can survive.
-Elf Princess has a block skill that is invaluable to some players.
-If you absolutely need protect aura, I recommend the Valkyrie/Huntress combination. You will have the following “pool” of skills: Weaken, Protect Aura, Visionscope, Nanoshield (Caps at 37% block), and Copy
-If you don’t need protect aura, I recommend the Elf/Huntress combination. You will have the following “pool” of skills: Weaken, Protection (Caps at 34% block), Nanoshield (Caps at 37% block), Visionscope, Copy.

Flag Post

That is an awesome Allies break down. Nice job.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NamelessMinion:Imp: Click the Accept button. He will give you one of two quests. If he tells you to fight someone in the arena, you should. However, this is the ONLY instance in which you should ever visit the arena, as you cannot get pills or random encounters there.

Girl In Red: Fight her. You would have to choose between her quests and the Imp’s. Imp’s are easier. After a couple of times, she will no longer give you a choice but to fight her.

Gambler: Accept. Logic would tell you otherwise, but the developer has rigged the dice in your favor so it is much more likely than it should be to triple your money, especially at lower levels. There is a quest to kill him as well. Feel free to complete it once.

Magic Elf: Fight her. The potions are good, but much more so at higher levels and not nearly worth the cost to you right now.

Dust Merchant: Fight her, in most cases. It may be cost-effective to purchase her discounted Fairy Dust at some point, but only if you’re far from leveling and are very low on Skill Points. If in doubt, smack her around.

At the lower levels, I would explore past the Elf, Dust Merchant and Wise Man. They tend to give too much xp that will level you up before you can use your energy and the benefit is way too small in terms of coin generation. You don’t need enhance potions so the elf is a waste, you don’t need dusts so the dust merchant is a waste. You want to save those precious XP points for killing the Guardian and possibly doing a GiR/Imp quest.

I also do not turn in quests right away, unless there is a very good item I want. I save them for when I can’t level up in batch of energy. Then I use them to help make up any difference.

The other key for using energy wisely is to remember that badges and leveling give refills of energy so save those until you can’t level up. Just because you are level 6 doesn’t mean you have to go to Junkton, keep the boss until you need the energy.

Flag Post

Some good tips, except when considering that many quests are repeatable. Having a completed quest in your log means you’re not making progress on it. In addition, people seem to be missing the point on leveling efficiently. Leveling slowly is not the goal. Using up every energy you have exploring in places that have random encounters (anything but arena) is.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NamelessMinion:

Some good tips, except when considering that many quests are repeatable. Having a completed quest in your log means you’re not making progress on it. In addition, people seem to be missing the point on leveling efficiently. Leveling slowly is not the goal. Using up every energy you have exploring in places that have random encounters (anything but arena) is.

Correct but the xp and coins you get from repeating the quests are going to level you too fast. You want to try to use all of your energy at the lower levels and if you do the quests and do/kill all of the random events you will usually level well before using all of your energy. A puzzle with a pill is worth skipping a couple of quest rewards.

In addition, people seem to be missing the point on leveling efficiently. Leveling slowly is not the goal. Using up every energy you have exploring in places that have random encounters (anything but arena) is.

Agreed. This is the hardest thing to get people to understand. They either go to the extreme of leveling with as few energy as possible or the other extreme of staying 10 levels below them taking a week to get to level 50. Leveling right on your last energy should be their goal. I’m not sure how to explain it any better than what you have on the first page.

Flag Post

hey nameless i have to tell ya somethin during the tutorial on s2 i ate a mushroom and LOST 4 e so its possible

Flag Post

awesomebusrt2 that only happens when its a low chance and dude u bailed on the fight a couple days ago

Flag Post

I guess there is a minimum level or something to use restart and keep your items ? I was level 35 and hit reset and I lost everything, including crystals, even had to pick a new name, a complete restart. I did not have premium items nor was I softcapped. So at what point do you not lose items?

Flag Post
Originally posted by 1EyeTrouserTrout:

I guess there is a minimum level or something to use restart and keep your items ? I was level 35 and hit reset and I lost everything, including crystals, even had to pick a new name, a complete restart. I did not have premium items nor was I softcapped. So at what point do you not lose items?

The only items you keep ARE premium items when you restart. It puts you back to level one, gives you level 1 equipment, resets crystals and unless you got more gems (or bought a premium item with the gems you have, including bad-premium allies) your gem count should be 20. (If you spend gems on Learning points, enchants, etc, and nothing that’s a permanent item, then you’ll get the extra gems to get back to 20.)

More direct answer: You always lose non-premium items. Anyone who told you that you keep all your items either didn’t know the facts or was trolling you.

Flag Post

one thing which has helped me is : if you choose gunner or sword find/buy/take from vaults a set of armor with intell(wisdom) on it. i use it strictly for fairy dust refills. never can have to much sp’s no matter which class you are. i also use the magic ring for sp refills. lastly i keep a staff with intell(wisdom) on it for the sp refills, and for healing.

another thing not mentioned yet is the options button from character page. If your game is running slowly example attack bar takes 2-5 seconds to max out , try the options button and check off ALL the boxes. i did’nt know about this “option” for over a year after i begain playing! I know pretty embarrassing lol another possibility to speed up your game (attack bar ect) is test the different browsers out there. i like google chrome and firefox browsers. hated internet explorer, it was just to slow. ok i hope this helps new folks and is’nt to complicated. happy hunting :)

Flag Post

We need to keep this thread alive! It is a very good resource, it is stickied, but it is completely ignored.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HoboMcJoe:

We need to keep this thread alive! It is a very good resource, it is stickied, but it is completely ignored.

Just because it’s not posted in constantly, doesn’t mean it’s ignored. People use it for information now and again and it’s on the front page at all times. I think keeping the attention off of this thread will prevent it from becoming unstickied (in case it gets over taken with spam).

Flag Post
Originally posted by mrwiggs8:
Originally posted by HoboMcJoe:

Just because it’s not posted in constantly, doesn’t mean it’s ignored. People use it for information now and again and it’s on the front page at all times. I think keeping the attention off of this thread will prevent it from becoming unstickied (in case it gets over taken with spam).

Sure, the players that already know about this come back occasionally, but what about new players? Most people are too lazy to actually check the forum unless they are on the front page. Nobody new will use this thread if the last post is a year ago. As for spam, I’m not saying post every hour. That, would probably bring the trolls here. Just enough to keep this thread alive. If worst comes to worst, there is a flag post button below your profile icon (iin case you didn’t know).

Flag Post

I know where the flagging post button is. Also, this thread stays on the front page, toward the top, without anyone posting. New players method to learn tends to be asking questions. Experienced players either teach them on their own or, something I’ve seen fairly commonly, link them to the guide threads.

Flag Post

But by that point they have usually already made mistakes. This is a very unforgiving game, if you fall behind it is very hard to catch up. I have already restarted once. Players need to know about this thread before they screw up. As for the flag post button, I never said you did not know where it is, I just mentioned that just in case.
Edit: Whether you want this thread to be kept alive through posting or not, this argument is doing just that :)

Flag Post

Pffft, this used to be a very very very unforgiving game. Now with the crystals then you can afford to make mistakes without having to do a restat. Earlier then you had the lp you got from leveling and the lp you got from buying with gems. Now you have the yellow crystals and a few yellow sets can completely erase all old mistakes made with misplaced lp during level up. That’s the only major mistake that can be made. It’s also not as important how you spend your gems anymore since you can get them for free now.

Flag Post

Yeah. but that wastes time. Besides, isn’t that a good thing?

Flag Post

Skill Point Calulation – Per Kingk:

it’s very complicated, roughly equals to:

int / 3 * magic + int / 6 * gun + int / 6 * sword + gun + sword + (1 for each magic up to 30) + (1 for each gun up to 30) + (1 for sword up to 30) + (1 for each level gun greater than magic) + (1 for each level sword greater than magic) + various bonuses (guild/class/accessory/capsule)

value not to exceed 32767

(note it does not depend on character’s level)

Magic Power Calculation:

MP=(sqrt(int * dex) * weapon’s Spell Damage * class bonus* level)

Ex. int=500, dex=501, weapon SD 500%, divine sage at level 90

(sqrt(500 * 501)* 6.00 * 1.64 * 90) = 443242 MP

Flag Post

Just thought I’d throw some random tidbits of information here.

Weapon Drops
If all weapon stats are equal, staves drop.
If sword and gun are equal and greater than magic, guns drop.
If gun and magic are equal and greater than sword, guns drop.
If sword and magic are equal and greater than gun, swords drop.
Otherwise, you get weapon drops that correspond to your highest weapon stat.

Possessed Bosses
You can power finish them.

Fusion
Formula is Enchants Transferred = (90 – (Weapon Level Difference * 2) % – 5.
Fusion cannot go above 900 enchants.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tumalu:

Just thought I’d throw some random tidbits of information here.

Weapon Drops
If all weapon stats are equal, staves drop.
If sword and gun are equal and greater than magic, guns drop.
If gun and magic are equal and greater than sword, guns drop.
If sword and magic are equal and greater than gun, swords drop.
Otherwise, you get weapon drops that correspond to your highest weapon stat.

Possessed Bosses
You can power finish them.

Fusion
Formula is Enchants Transferred = (90 – (Weapon Level Difference * 2) % – 5.
Fusion cannot go above 900 enchants.

I believe gun = magic, both > sword, staves drop. It’s been about a year and a half to two years since I checked though, but I thought that was how it went.

Flag Post

I would personally find a “later game” guide extremely useful too.
(such as what to do after you softcap your stats and get the badges)

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

I would personally find a “later game” guide extremely useful too.
(such as what to do after you softcap your stats and get the badges)

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/35-dream-world/topics/158465-guide-post-game-players-guide
…Just throwing this out there: It’s bound to be slightly out of date. But you have seen this thread before. :P