Ather City (Main Game) page 144 (locked)

3623 posts

Flag Post

Victor

My hand trembles, in fact, the trembling crosses through my whole body, as I squint up at the sky, where only seconds ago I witnessed my friend’s death. Or is it death? The horrible thought wrenches across my mind. I feel physically worn out. That flight had been so fast, that I had shrugged off the rubble striking me, my mind bent on only an escape, and the rescue which I had promised to Dominic. But now, I feel them pain, but they hardly matter against the mental agony. I drop my sword on the ground, followed by my shield, which would do better in a museum, so bent and dented it is. I watch Void make a trek, realizing that he must be thinking about Mike, his friend.

I feel another odd feeling. A feeling of being totally myself once more. For once, I feel glad of being separated from that hellish power. The embers on my skin gradually die down. I look once more at the place where I had lived for so long now, wondering if I will ever enjoy this freedom fully. I look back at the rest of us survivors, their faces either tensed with pain, or with horror. I try to smile back at Jake, feeling the muscles in my mouth working fiercely to form it. I wonder if I shall ever smile properly again… I feel a rather sharp pain in my arm, where a sliver of metal had struck. I wrench it out, a thin stream of fire from my hand slowly repairing the wound, too easily. But shall anything ever heal the wounds in my mind? The guilt, the guilt of having escaped on another’s sacrifice…

Flag Post

[Oh, damn. An eternally depressed invincible robot chose escaping Hell over death… hurm.]

Flag Post

[Matthew isn’t eternally depressed. That was Marvin. :P]

Flag Post

[…then who’s Matthew? Like, TDF’s character, or something? Because he’s been inactive for a huge expanse of time by now…]

Flag Post

[Yeah, TDF’s character. He got an emotion upgrade later, which made him…emotional, lol. But not depressed. I guess you didn’t read it all before posting, eh? :P]

Flag Post

[Well, we haven’t seen him for ages, so I would have assumed that the character would have not survived the destruction.]

Flag Post

[He had an important story role, you see. And after that. No more OT posts :|)

Flag Post

[I died? NO!!!!!!! Damnit. Anyway, Imma write an ending post.]

Ragnarok
I see Cepheus get killed, or at least in this form.
“So…. This is the end.” I mutter. I grab Daniel. “Seren. We can’t escape.”

Seren
I stare as Ragnarok starts to cry over Daniels lifeless body.
“I can make it easier for you. Dyings normally painful. I can make it painless.”

Ragnarok
I choke back tears as I say:
“OK. Together?”

Seren
“Together.”

I turn both of my hands into a cannon. Ragnarok does the same. We each aim one at Daniel’s head, and I aim my cannon at Ragnaroks head. As everything starts to collapse around us, Ragnarok aims at my head too.

Narrator
As everything crumbles, Ragnarok and Seren pulls both triggers. A loud explosion.

Ragnarok
I open my eyes. If this is dying, its not so bad.
I see Death standing infront of me, hands outstretched.
I greet Death as an old friend, and embrace him.
All goes dark.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AdeebNafees:

[He had an important story role, you see. And after that. No more OT posts :|)

[Alright, alright…]

Void
I notice Victor trembling in what is clearly mental anguish. Over Dominic’s sacrifice, I’m sure; a mental scan confirms this.
‘Listen, Victor…’ I say, placing a tentacle around his shoulder. ’We’ve all lost a lot in this city. I, for example, had an entire faction under my control eliminated; after that, I lost Mike and Squiddy, God bless their souls… but that isn’t the point. The point is, we can’t lurk on the past. I got rid of my past before the Bomb, then got overtaken with a hatred for Dominic and was almost killed several times for it. The same will apply for you, but with guilt rather than hatred. I… think someone already told you that?’

Flag Post

Jake
Soon, the fake smile I’ve put on drops. What to do now? I listen as Void talks to Victor. Times came and went in that city, and people I will never forget have pased, good and bad. Dominic, Alex, those are the two that constantly stick out in my mind. I pull out the batteries. Now I know what use they were ment to be. A momento. A reminder of who I am and what happened in Ather. I look at the others. I need a pen, some paper, and some time to work…..

Flag Post

[Uh… ’deeb? That was sort of a cue for you to respond.]

Flag Post

[Oh lol.]

Victor

I take a deep breath to steady myself, and turn to who was once an enemy, yet now a friend. We are all friends, in a way. “Thank you Void.” I say in a low voice, picking up my possessions again. What is past is past. I console myself.

Flag Post

Void
I nod to him.
‘Jake, you need some paper… I don’t have anything like that, I’m afraid, but you could probably use the glass, I guess?’

Flag Post

Mike’s soul.

From my seat on the islands I saw everything that happened.
I appear on the ground, at a place where everyone can see me.

“You have all done well, in the last trial of your life. I am sad, that my life had to be taken so quickly, and in such a ruthless manner.” I say, my voice gently ringing out, for several meters.

I look at Void.

“And thanks to you, I have found eternal piece. When you buried, my body in fron of the library, the most amazing thing happened. The library itself, formed in front of me, and I can now finish the goal, that was stopped in my mortal life. Thank you, Eclipsis.” I say, and hug him. I know that he can’t feel it physically, but I hope, that it will comfort him mentally.

I turn to the others.

“You have all done well, and deserve rest. When you are ready go, and greet the world with new strength. They may call you freaks, and try to kill you. But do not harm them. Do not let the anger take over your actions, and kill them. Instead, only defend yourself. When they see that you mean no harm, they will stop. Society will slowly start accepting you.”

I begin fading away slowly.

“Go now, and be strong.”

I fully fade out of sight. I walk into the library, sit down, pick up my book, and start reading, once again. And so starts my eternal journey on the floating islands.

Flag Post

[The glass will burn your hand off, Cheif, please don’t touch it. Treat is as a highly toxic area to EVERYONE.]

Flag Post

[Damn. I guess I’d better edit my earlier post somewhat.]

Void
At Mike’s incorporeal hug, tears begin forming in my eyes, as does a smile on my face. The former remains until he fades from view, at which point I wipe the tears away.
Strength… you have so much of that, Mike. So very, very much. I suppose that was why I stayed with you – my own strength was lacking, at best; perhaps I thought some of your own fortitude would rub off on me.
I collapse to my knees crying at this point.
But no… you were always a friend, never a surrogate. Everything I’ve obtained in terms of strength, I learned from you, not leeched from you.
‘Thank you, Mike…’ I say my voice barely a whisper. ‘…for showing me how to be a person again.’

Flag Post

Michael
I land near the forest not far from Ground Zero and see the sky, the first time for months. “What now?” My entire life up to this point has been to rule through violence. The city is deserted and completely decimated, so what can I do? I walk towards the former barrier, out into a completely unknown world.

Flag Post

[Actually, the city is gone Pyro. Only a flat plain of superhot and fatally radioactive obsidian glass remains, flat as flat can be.]

Flag Post

Jake
I listen contently as Mike talks. I quickly realised the stupidity of Tentacles plan. I already forgot his name…either way, I’m not going NEAR that cursed place ever again. Not killing them may be hard, but it seems like the best way to honor Mike. I guess I’ll just need to keep that memory in my head before I can tell the world what happened in Ather. I don’t know why, I just feal like writeing about the whole experiance seems like a good idea.

Flag Post

Rogue

The suddenness of the back to back events left me in shock. Not even so much as a good-bye. This was it apparently, he was really gone. Oddly enough, I barely showed any emotion at the thought. The others seemed lost in their own moment and I gave a quick wave before heading off on my own. Truthfully, I was scared. Who knew what the future would hold for me? I guess all that was left to do now was find out…

Flag Post

Victor

I snap out of my reverie as Rogue walks away. “Bye Rogue….thanks for…everything…” I say, watching the retreating figure, wondering what to do. Perhaps it is best this way… I think, my fists clenching slightly. Our times in this city, are they something to discuss about? None of us have enjoyed it in the least, we are like the companions in a flood shelter. During the flood, we are each others’ closest friends, yet once the dangers are over, we must part, perhaps for ever. And now, with the sadness of Dominic’s death hanging in the air, it is all the more difficult to brace oneself to say goodbye. “Good luck in whatever you plan to do..” I call out, but a strong wind blows by me, perhaps even carrying away my very words.

I steady myself, and stoop to pick up my possessions, the broken shield, the gleaming sword. I remember, one by one, all that I have gained, and then lost in the city. Brad, Flibbit, Dominic, and now Rogue and the others too, perhaps… However, as the sun peeks out from behind a cloud, shedding its light over us all, I make up my mind. I stare at everyone in turn. “Well, what now? Any idea were we can find civilization, or should we just move in a random direction?”

Flag Post

[It seems that I died so I’m going to do one last post.]

John

What the hell happned? There was some sort of explosion. Where the hell am I? I look around and see flames. I recognise it from the vision. Hell. In the distance I see Janine, being attacked by some monsters. I run over and attack them all, pushing them off. Her clothes are in tatters and she’s cut and bruised, but she’s there and so am I. I hold on to her and she holds on to me. I kiss her. The monster guys try to pull us apart, but they can’t. “I’m never letting go of you again Janine.” She smiles and kisses me again. This may be hell, but it won’t be so bad with Janine here.

Flag Post

[I, uh… wasn’t there going to be an epilogue post by Spirit at some point?]

Void
‘Not a clue.’ I say, removing my tears from my face once again. ‘However, there’s a road jsut over there, soooo… I guess we could use that?’

Flag Post

[I can wait for the epilogue.]
Jake
“I say we fallow the road and hope what comes is good. If the world is gonna figure out we’re all mutants, we might as well be in the same place…mostly.” I say, thinking of the girl. I beleive she told me her name that long long while ago. Hell, that was before Alex went all evil. I then remember the scale I took off the dragon. Another momento. Another memory. “All we can do now is walk, and hope for the best….anybody have a story or something? This is probably gonna be a while till we get anywhere.”

Flag Post

Somebody told me aether city ended. Was that true?