[Game-Related] The "Choose My Next Game!" Thread page 139

3766 posts

Flag Post

So… who wants a Closed Mafia made entirely out of the most bastard roles I can find?.

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

So… who wants a Closed Mafia made entirely out of the most bastard roles I can find?.

I claim undercover innocent child. :D
Haven’t played a full-bastard mafia in a while.

Flag Post

Sounds fine for me. [Approval sign]

Flag Post

Sure. Approval sign

Flag Post

@Behemoth: Going to take this point by point.

• So, mountainous mafia? Haven’t had one of them in a while, hell, I was planning to do one myself. Seems good.
  • I prefer 120 hour days, 48 hour nights. Town tends to eventually go inactive for at least 48 hours every day after D3 or so. And 24 hours seems like too short a time for mafia. But I guess your would work if you get no inactives signing.
  • I take it the person who voted for the other person will not be revealed in the votecount updates and only at Day end? (because honestly, if you don’t ever reveal who voted who… town gonna lose)
  • Yeah, that works.

Pre-sign if possible.

@helltank: I haven’t learned my lesson. Pre-sign if possible.

Flag Post

@Jask

I prefer 120 hour days, 48 hour nights. Town tends to eventually go inactive for at least 48 hours every day after D3 or so. And 24 hours seems like too short a time for mafia. But I guess your would work if you get no inactives signing.

120 days seems too long for me. Maybe 96 hours day and 48 hours night?

Also, could you rephrase this?

I take it the person who voted for the other person will not be revealed in the votecount updates and only at Day end? (because honestly, if you don’t ever reveal who voted who… town gonna lose)

Flag Post

@Behemoth: Yeah, that works.

If player X voted Player Y secretly, it will only be revealed that X voted Y at Day end/Night start and not in votecount updates. Is this true?

Flag Post

The amount of mafias I’ve seen die because of 48 hours night is too damn high. 36 hours at most should be enough.

Flag Post

However, it is also true that the most successful mafias on kong have had 48 hour nights or more.

EDIT: Oh, and 36 hours are just no.

Flag Post

@Jask

Oh, if that’s what you mean, yeah. Who voted who would be revealed in the last of the three or four vote updates (One every 24 hours, or something like that).

Flag Post

Presignpresignpresign. :D

Bastard roles galore! :DDD

Flag Post

battlescapes

this is a picture based game.
the goal is to simply conquer yhe planet.
to play, there is just 2 factors: income and regional ‘build levels’.
all you need do is present a picture, and i say the level, cost, and how many rl days before arrival.
each person would begin with 15,000 credits, and a lone place.

the levels, improved by buildings, are: infantry, traps, land vechs, water vechs, air vechs, medical, underwater, command, and security. These, in turn, come as light, medium, and heavy. Further, each player would get three society powers.

Flag Post

I understood nothing of that, Dev. Could you fix the grammar and attempt to clarify it?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kidudeman:

I understood nothing of that, Dev. Could you fix the grammar and attempt to clarify it?

Agreed, the first lesson I learned here was that grammar was important when presenting games/rules.

Flag Post

Rehash 1:

2 factors: Income and development levels.
The goal is to secure new areas, via ‘links’.

To play, just present pictures, and I say the conditions, with you developing an army, then just sending them out to new places.

Flag Post

Alright, so I have little (no) experience with hosting games, but I have an extensive idea for an RPG which I would like some input and advice for.

The concept is a simple party based roleplaying game a la Sorcery Quest or Etrian Odyssey. Players form a party together consisting of different classes with varying strengths and weaknesses, and fight their way through areas in simple turn-based combat.

The story will likely be a bit bare. I’m not a writer so I’d like to keep it focused more on gameplay than a story.
Characters are all part of an Adventurer’s Guild that collects willing warriors and explorers to do all sorts of tasks throughout the land, from mapping an unexplored part of the world to clearing the local tavern’s cellar from rats. Keeping adventures short that way makes plot lines easier to perform. An overarching story is something to try once the game itself starts to flesh out and we’ve got a decent amount of players.

Characters will, of course, be created by the players. Every player has control over one character. The idea here is that I am not directly going to force players to choose pre-defined classes like Warrior/Rogue/Mage. Players can send me a concept of what they would prefer to be, and I will work a class out that seems fair. I like silly suggestions.
“I want to play an Emomancer. "
“Sure, you will be a mage-ish character based around debuffs and sadness. That okay?”
“Nah, I prefer to be more damage-y.”
“Alright, we can work it out.”

Parties/groups are a major part of the game. Instead of having one five-player group of characters that will never ever part from each other because they are destined for greatness by the prophets of That One Town far away, parties are created on the fly within the guild to tackle quests. Characters can create their own groups, multiple parties can exist at a time, and a character is not stuck with one group forever.
Essentially, a party leader chooses a quest to take and then invites other players to join their party. When they’re set, they go out on a quest, get loots, come back and the party is essentially disbanded again. Then characters can join another party, adventure with them, etc.
This can, of course, only work out well when the game has a large amount of players.

Exploration is going to happen on a square grid, like classical dungeon crawlers. The party moves tile per tile over a map. Certain tiles can hold events or treasure. In some areas, random encounters might be a thing (more likely in a forest than a dungeon).
To keep things speeding along, the party leader will decide movement and other major decisions will be done by voting.

Battles are where the fun happens. As bland as it is, all characters get one action per turn. Players fill in their actions and when everybody has an action selected, turns play out according to initiative. Parties will consist of a front and a back line, where the back line cannot be hit by melee and gains a small defensive boost if the front line consists of more characters than the back line.
Accuracy and damage is based around dice rolls. Makes things easier to manage than arbitrary numbers or percentages.

Now that I read it all over again, this all sounds very bland and prone to failure. What does everyone think?

Flag Post

Here’s what I like about your idea, Jer:

#1: You can play any kind of hero.
#2: Leaders choose players according to availability and use – a party leader would consider who to invite to various missions according to their strengths and weaknesses from #1.

Here’s what I dislike:

#3: There is no story. There should be at least a paragraph of backstory for each quest, sidequest or not. It adds more life to the game.
#4: Grid systems are slow in forum games. If used, you should allow the party to write a long path and just stop them when something relevant happens, rather than moving tile by tile as most failed RPGs do.
#5: There is only one action per turn. This is rather bland. Perhaps add, in addition to using a basic hero ability, the ability to use items or move positions as a 2nd action.

Things I would like to see, if I was a player:

#6: Changing battle conditions – the combat system you described would probably be boring after the first battle if it stayed the same. I would hope to see various battle conditions according to the adventure, such as rocky tunnels having rock pillars blocking tiles in battle, or aquatic environments delaying projectiles and causing suffocation damage, or battles that involve height as a factor, etc.
#7: A good amount of interesting and game-changing equipment and/or magical abilities. Swords of +1 are bland, but Teleportation Amulets, Fume-Resistant Helmets, or Swords of Stun are much more interesting.
#8: The Party [Leader] could select where to place each hero in the front/back lines according to strategic factors before battles.

Of course, this is just my take on it, and if you ignore all of this I’d still play, probably.

Flag Post

Thanks for the response Kidude! It’s helpful advice you’re giving. My goal is to create a game that doesn’t depend so much on the player that one leave spells the end of the game, but still allows players to get deeply involved in it and entertain them for long periods of time. Because it uses a guild-based system, one player should essentially be able to go on a five month hiatus and continue playing afterwards.
Still, I want a game that is easy to pick up and understand yet deep enough to hold attention for a long time.

I’m posting the idea here to sort of gauge what elements interest players, and how I can improve on the concept. So, here’s my response:

#3: As I’ve said, I’m a bit scared to immediately throw in a huge overarching main story right at the start. It’s risky both because I have little (no) experience in writing long stories, and because large storylines are usually too dependable on the characters; we can’t afford drop-outs right at the start.
I do plan on fleshing out the quests that parties accept. The idea is that leaders pick from a list of jobs that need to be done (Investigate strange noises in abandoned house, explore cave near the outskirts of town, retrieve lost ring from group of bandits) and once a job has been accepted and the party assembled, the backstory begins to form (the owner of the lost ring contacting the party, anything happening on the way to the bandit hideout, etc). How exactly each quest will form (and the quality of the writing) is not clear yet, but we’ll get there.
(Perhaps if it all goes well, I can even have other players create quests and host them?)

#4: This is something I needed input on. I plan to give the party something like a three-tile sight radius, and party leaders will be able to choose any tile to head towards, skipping over tiles in the way as you described. Parties can return to any explored tile at will, same concept.
In the end, activity will depend on both party leader post rate and my post rate. Let’s hope we can keep that high.

#5: I think moving positions is something that can be added as a free action (with a penalty to hit, maybe), same goes for items. I’m keeping to one action per turn mainly to keep things manageable.

#6: I didn’t think of this yet; I’ll work on it.

#7: This makes or breaks games, and I’ll work on it as much as possible.
Along the lines of equipment, this could be hard early on, as to not unbalance the game or give players too much utility too early on.
When it comes to player abilities though, this all depends on what kind of classes we have to work with; were someone to choose an alchemist-type character, I could add an extra effect to any potions used by that character, for example. Sneaky characters could position themselves behind enemy lines, essentially treating their back line as front line. Guard-style characters can hold the front line on their own, and still convey a defensive boost to allies. It’s all something I’ll have to think about; and I’m going to let players themselves give suggestions as well.

#8: This is almost a necessity, especially considering #6.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Apologies for the wall of text.

Flag Post

#4: That would be very very very slow. Either the party votes on every move, or the leader decides for everyone, it’s still slow. Perhaps allow the ‘continue until something happens’ option. For example, rather than walking 1-3 tiles at a time, I continue in a corridor or a direction until we reach a special object, a split in the path, or something else. Would save some time.

#7: At lower levels, I’d expect only one or two interesting items per adventure. On longer adventures, I’d expect each player to receive something interesting in the loot. It doesn’t have to be something strong.

Flag Post

#4: Perhaps that is a better idea. I’ll have to figure out a way to keep things interesting when it comes to exploring, though. I’d like to keep it map-based, since text-based exploration is usually a bit confusing. I’ll work on it!

#7: I’ll work on it. Once (if) we get multiple parties going, inter-party trading at the guild will definitely be possible, so that would help.

Anyone else have input on this? Kidude is helpful, but if anyone else has ideas/interest I’d like to hear them speak up too.

Flag Post

Dungeon Keepers

An innovative dungeon based game based on stats and rooms.
Winning other’s dungeon maps will grant you new dungeon making stats and features.
Others Playing your dungeon grants you chips, more if they die in the dungeon. Chips let you develop your dungeons, spending them on rooms, statgains, or any other features you unlock along the way. The more prizes to be won in the dungeon, the more chips you will be awarded for their entry and death.

To gain the new stats and features, however, you must locate The Dungeon Heart as it’s called. Yes, taken from that game, but very different as well.
A challenging grid based game. Each entry, by default, grants 1 chip, and another 2 if you kill them.

Initual Stats/Assetts:

prize assets – limit 1 per room you own(initially)

Hits – each hit booster gives 5 more hcp to those who find it in your lair. It’s presence increases entry yield by 1 and kill yield by 2. Begins at 5 hcp.
Stamina – cp and gains exist. Cp gives 25 cp, gains gives +1 stam per turn you take in a lair. both increase value by 1 for entry, 2 for being killed. Begins at 25 stmcp genning 3 per turn.
Manna – begins at 5 mcp, full. Each extra 5 cp found in the lair will grant +2 for entries, and +5 for killing them.
Atk – The damage your person does. Begins at 1. Each version will grant +1 for entry, +2 for kills.
Def – The damage your person does. Begins at 1. Each version will grant +1 for entry, +2 for kills. Keep in mind that minimum damage is 1/5 the pertaining atk value.
both above come as physical and magical variants, but magics grant 5 pts in them per normal boost.
Moves – How many spaces you can move per turn. Begins at 0. Each boost grants +3 entry, +10 per kill.
Attacks – How many times you can attack per turn. begins at 0. Each boost grants +3 entry, +10 per kill.
Actions – This is a dual feature, beginning at 1. May be freely used as a substitute for move/attack, or for special interactions. Each boost grants +5 entry, +15 per kill.
P.Range – Range for a melee attack. Begins at 1. Each boost grants +3 entry, +10 per kill.
M.Range – Range for a magical attack. Begins at 5. Each boost grants +3 entry, +10 per kill.
A.Range – Distance for an area attack. Begins at 1. Each boost grants +5 entry, +15 per kill.

Initual Chip Purchases:

Small Corridor – a hall that’s 5 spaces long. Costs 35 chips.
Medium Corridor – a hall that’s 15 spaces long. Costs 100 chips.
Large Corridor – a hall that’s 50 spaces long. Costs 250 chips.

Small Room – A 3×3 room. Costs 35 chips. Begins with 3 for free.
Medium Room – A 7×7 room. Costs 100 chips.
Large Room – A 20×20 room. Costs 250 chips.

A door – 5 chips per door. Needed to link rooms and hallways. Requires an action to open/close specificly. Begins with 3 for free.
A portal – free. Players may choose which portal they begin at in your lair. Must have at least one.
Dungeon Heart – 5000 each, but the first is free. The heart has only HITPOINTS, of which it begins at 100 hcp. Upgrades begin at 1k, growing by that much, for ALL the hearts, giving them another 100 hcp, always beginning full. This also is the only way to unlock new monsters as well.

Market Monsters:
Just a monster. Remember you can only have 1 monter per room initially.
Unstated, monsters have the minimum stats stated by the stat parameters above.

Peasant – (15 chips)
Guard – (25 chips) 0 actions, +1 attacks, p.def is 3, m.def is also 3, and hit cp is 10.
Soldier – (25 chips) p.atk is 3, m.atk is also 3, but this unit has no manna.

Flag Post

Why you want to make new RP already? It’s been 2 days. 10 Pages. It’s not Moogles (45 Pages in 4 Days…at which point you closed it, potentially ruining the best game you ever made….) but it’s still pretty good…..

Flag Post

How exactly will these dungeons be represented?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pigjr1:

You present to me a grid, in PM, for Judging. But manage anyone that enters the dungeon in the first place.
I would simply judge what prize it would be for winning… whether it’s a temp prize or not.

Originally posted by BLOODYRAIN10001:

Why you want to make new RP already? It’s been 2 days. 10 Pages. It’s not Moogles (45 Pages in 4 Days…at which point you closed it, potentially ruining the best game you ever made….) but it’s still pretty good…..

I just like making so many.
Also, those monsters won’t let moogles be made ever again! IN ANY FORM!

Flag Post
Originally posted by developous:
Originally posted by Pigjr1:

You present to me a grid, in PM, for Judging. But manage anyone that enters the dungeon in the first place.
I would simply judge what prize it would be for winning… whether it’s a temp prize or not.

Originally posted by BLOODYRAIN10001:

I just like making so many.
Also, those monsters won’t let moogles be made ever again! IN ANY FORM!

Huh? Why not?