The General Thread page 500

25848 posts

Flag Post

500 pages You know what this calls for Partyyyyyyyyyy

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mysterymason:

I started watching from before he went up. Truly one of the most awe inspiring things I have ever seen.

Yeah, me too. The moments when he was freefalling were probably the most exciting. Seriously, I don’t think it should’ve taken 3 hours to get up there.

Also, 500th page!!! :D

Flag Post

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Oh, dammit. You guys remember the time when Developous dared me to disprove E=mc2, and I did? Here’s the post:

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/36-forum-games/topics/192601-general-thread-is-this-worth-being-stickyd?page=228#posts-5725165

I must admit that I made a small mistake in that post. I said that p2 = mv/(1 – v2/c2), which isn’t true. The real equation is p2 = m2v2/(1 – v2/c2). At that time I haven’t done any special relativity for a few months, so don’t blame me if I get a small detail wrong.

The best part about posting science no one else understands is that if you make a mistake, nobody will notice.

…I wanted to make a stealth edit and fix that mistake, except my post has been quoted at least once. Damn.

Flag Post

Oh, I thought you were 14. Oops.

Flag Post
Originally posted by S_98:

Oh, I thought you were 14. Oops.

Lol.
Teens are a good age.

Flag Post
Teens are a good age.

Good age, yes, once you’re eighteen+.

Flag Post

Huh.
13’s good enough for meh.

Flag Post

Bloodshadow, that just.. sucked.

Too uninteresting, you suck at arguments.

Flag Post

Did you know?

The term ‘Nothing is Impossible’, means that it is possible for something to be impossible, thus its contradicts itself, so it’s not really motivational.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jaskaran2000:

Did you know?

The term ‘Nothing is Impossible’, means that it is possible for something to be impossible, thus its contradicts itself, so it’s not really motivational.

Also, “Never say never.” It says it twice.

Also, is there a way to move all your favorites/bookmarks from one browser to another? I’m too lazy to manually do it, and I think my computer might load faster if I start actually using Firefox.

Flag Post

Did you know?

That phrase is not intended to be realistic at all. It is meant to be motivational as a way of just pushing people to their physical and psychological limits and beyond. We can’t fly (with our anatomy and nothing else); we all know that. Many things are impossible, it is merely meant to be inspirational.

Flag Post

Only works in Firefox → Firefox though.

Flag Post

Bloodshadow, that just.. sucked.

Too uninteresting, you suck at arguments.

1. So something sucks if it doesn’t entertain you? I’m sorry, but that’s a rather selfish and arrogant way of thinking.

2. The purpose of that argument was not to provide you with entertainment. Rather, it was to crush my opponent and debunk his arguments for the bullshit they really were.

3. I am disappointed that you find philosophy uninteresting.

4. Developous had been spouting his bullshit philosophy at us for a year. If you were there to see that, you would’ve been irritated enough that you would’ve found it extremely satisfying when I crushed him in a debate.

5. If you were the one arguing with Developous, you would’ve been swamped by his logical fallacies in minutes. As far as I remember, I was the only one who was able to make Developous give up.

6. If you think I suck at arguing, beat me in an argument first. Based on experience, I very much doubt you would be able to do so.

tl;dr version of the above: Next time, think twice before insulting someone’s ability to argue.

Did you know?

Of course I knew. Self-recursive, self-contradictory statements like that are common. But the statement is only contradictory under certain assumptions. It’s also ambiguous. You haven’t rigorously, explicitly defined what it means for an object to have the property “impossible”, or exactly what set of objects does the property of “impossible” apply to. With such a vague statement, it’s meaningless to try to analyze it this way.

Flag Post
A more interesting debate between the two:

May 19, 2012
20:19Bloodshadow: I am an impatient person. Debating through Kongregate PMs can be tediously slow, as it can take from hours to days until I receive responses.
20:20Bloodshadow: This is the chat, by the way. The thing over there on the left is a document which we can both edit.
20:20Dev: hi
20:20Bloodshadow: Don't bother with meaningless pleasantries.
20:20Bloodshadow: I'm here to debate.
20:20Dev: k...
20:20Dev: About what?
20:21Bloodshadow: What else?
20:21Bloodshadow: About your beliefs, of course.
20:21Dev: oh.... k
20:21Bloodshadow: I am too impatient to do it through private messages, as they are far too slow.
20:21Dev: Lets talk about #7 then
20:21Bloodshadow: No.
20:21Bloodshadow: Not FGF.
20:21Dev: k....
20:21Bloodshadow: Now. Why do you believe that your opinions are absolutes?
20:22Bloodshadow: You can change your colors, by the way.
20:22Dev: Why? Experience. I have seen both sides rather much.
20:22Bloodshadow: Experience.
20:22Bloodshadow: Did it ever occur to you that other people, those whom you disagree with, have their own experiences?
20:23Dev: Always. Thats why I TRY to have an open mind.
20:23Bloodshadow: Then why are their opinions not also absolute truths?
20:25Dev: Its how one sees such. As a rule of thumb, though, it depends on how often they say such things and thereabouts.
20:25Bloodshadow: As usual, you're dancing around the issue.
20:26Dev: Oh... relate to my attacks on the games?
20:26Bloodshadow: No.
20:26Bloodshadow: This does not necessarily have anything to do with FGF at all.
20:26Bloodshadow: This is only about you.
20:26Dev: I lack serious social skills.
20:27Bloodshadow: As do I.
20:27Bloodshadow: Your experiences have taught you what you now believe as absolute truths. But can I not make the same argument about my experiences and beliefs?
20:28Dev: Its perfeclty legal of that. Your reasoning is that there is no truth yes?
20:28Bloodshadow: My experiences have taught me absolute truths. These truths contradict your supposed truths. Therefore, your truths are your opinions, and my truths are actually absolute truths.
20:28Bloodshadow: See? Practically any person can make such an argument.
20:29Dev: I learned from MERCY and JUSTICE if thats any clue as to my experiences.
20:29Bloodshadow: Those two words are highly subjective.
20:30Bloodshadow: What if another person also learned from what they believed to be mercy and justice?
20:30Dev: IN RL, I had a loving family and I am love, in the games, they always oppose me and never convince me even with reasoning.
20:30Bloodshadow: How does that make your experience more valuable and truth-validating than other people's?
20:32Bloodshadow: I have appropriate responses to every single point you've brought up so far, but I refuse to go off a tangent at the moment.
20:34Dev: Yin/Yang put simply. Seeing both sides of the coin works wonders for learning.
20:35Bloodshadow: What if another person has also seen both sides?
20:36Dev: More difficult, but its how often a person is convinced otherwise. Even having a fully open mind doesnt mean you learn, but thats the thing.
20:36Dev: The point is this,
20:37Bloodshadow: You have not convinced me why your truths are more absolute than the truths of this hypothetical person I speak of.
20:37Dev: One word: Conviction.
20:37Bloodshadow: This hypothetical person has also seen both sides. The truths his experiences taught him directly contradict yours.
20:38Bloodshadow: What makes his truths less absolute than yours?
20:38Dev: Knowledge.
20:39Bloodshadow: What makes you think you have more knowledge than him?
20:40Dev: One clear example is worth a thousand words.
20:40Bloodshadow: A single example is never enough.
20:41Bloodshadow: What makes you think your opponent has less examples than you?
20:41Dev: Not even 10,000 examples can prove for or against other's beliefs.
20:41Bloodshadow: How old are you, really?
20:41Bloodshadow: As I said, nothing can be proven.
20:41Dev: Seriously, 4/25/76
20:42Bloodshadow: Examples, evidence, such things can only support or refute a hypothesis.
20:42Bloodshadow: Even in mathematics, proofs are built from assumptions, postulates, things that by their very definition cannot be proved.
20:43Bloodshadow: You are born in 1976?
20:43Dev: Precisely, just about anything is a matter of opinion. But the first sign of a truth teller is belief and honesty.
20:44Bloodshadow: You've contradicted yourself.
20:44Bloodshadow: You said your beliefs are absolute truths. But now you've said that everything is a matter of opinion.
20:44Bloodshadow: You've also said that you care nothing for opinions.
20:45Dev: I often contradict myself.
20:45Bloodshadow: The first sign of a supposed truth-teller is belief? By definition beliefs are subjective, relative, NOT objective and absolute.
20:46Dev: Belief deals with himself. he has to trust his own truths. But... with others, the first step in telling is honesty.
20:46Bloodshadow: Honesty is simply saying what you believe.
20:46Dev: In truth, though, its merely by the very nature of the person.
20:47Bloodshadow: Saying your opinions rather than lies.
20:48Dev: not working for change
20:49Dev: The way you can tell with me is simple.
20:49Bloodshadow: If you simply be honest and say what you believe, you are stating your opinions. NOT truths.
20:49Dev: I say this. Its DUE to my intents that you know I would tell the truth.
20:50Bloodshadow: No, you would not tell the truth. You would tell what you BELIEVE to be the truth.
20:50Bloodshadow: You would tell your own opinion.
20:50Dev: Wrong. Experience proves truth.
20:51Bloodshadow: Again, your opponent may have similar experiences, except more than you.
20:51Bloodshadow: Whatever you have that validates your truths, you cannot deny the possibility that your opponent has it too.
20:51Dev: There is NO one all powerful factor that defines what is truth.
20:51Bloodshadow: But whatever you have, your opponent may have as well.
20:53Dev: Fact. But as said, its all a mater of nature and beliefs.
20:54Bloodshadow: Hence, your supposed truth is all a matter of beliefs.
20:54Bloodshadow: Hence, your truth is nothing but your own belief.
20:54Bloodshadow: Not an absolute, universal truth.
20:57Dev: I lived for my beliefs in spite of all the opposition. Even with an open mind, its always subjective. You cann only accept or deny another's 'truths'. But TECHNICLY, there is no way to prove truth exists or not.
20:57Dev: So... I will say this.
20:57Bloodshadow: Hence, your beliefs are OPINIONS.
20:57Bloodshadow: Not truths.
20:57Bloodshadow: Not absolute.
20:57Dev: One word: CONVICTION. I see them as absolutes.
20:58Bloodshadow: Conviction stems from belief.
20:58Dev: You want proof how MY words are truths?
20:58Bloodshadow: No.
20:58Bloodshadow: I do not want proofs.
20:58Dev: then I surrender to your perspectives, but I am not convinced.
20:58Dev: I cannot prove for nor against.
20:59Bloodshadow: Why do you have such conviction?
20:59Bloodshadow: Do you refuse to believe the possibility that your opponent might be right?
21:00Dev: No... I dont refuse, its JUST that its rather hard to break my mindset.
21:00Bloodshadow: Do you believe that it is simply not possible for you to be wrong, because your experiences taught you "absolute truths"?
21:01Bloodshadow: Do you say that conviction makes your opinions absolute truths to you?
21:02Dev: Right, But not just that. Conviction, Experience, AND... This may shock you, repetition.
21:03Bloodshadow: Do you refuse to consider the possibility that your opponent has greater conviction, experience, and repetitions?
21:03Dev: No. Its just one hell of a lot harder to change my ways.
21:04Bloodshadow: Then it is possible that your opponent has greater experience, conviction, and repetition.
21:04Dev: In his own ways.
21:04Bloodshadow: Thus, if his truths directly contradict yours, his truths are actual absolute truths, and your truths are opinions.
21:05Dev: To him, yes.
21:05Bloodshadow: So you accept that your truths are not absolute truths.
21:06Dev: Wisdom. Get it. Thats how you tell the difference.
21:06Bloodshadow: Because if your truths are absolute, they must be true for everyone and everything, including your opponent.
21:06Bloodshadow: Define wisdom.
21:07Dev: One cannot define it. One can only acquire it oneself.
21:08Bloodshadow: What cannot be defined has no meaning.
21:08Dev: wrong. Thats what imagination is for.
21:09Bloodshadow: Imagination has little to do with truth versus opinion.
21:09Bloodshadow: If you claim that your truths are truer than your opponent's because you have more wisdom, and then fail to define wisdom, your claim is meaningless.
21:10Dev: I know there is a quote out there that proves truth, but I dont know it...
21:10Bloodshadow: Paraphrase then.
21:11Dev: dont even know where to start.
21:11Bloodshadow: If you cannot remember, then the quote is meaningless in this debate.
21:11Bloodshadow: I suspect the quote is extremely vague. No, that will not do. We must be as specific and rigorous as possible.
21:12Bloodshadow: Be clear.
21:12Dev: This argument is going nowhere. I am done.
21:12Bloodshadow: Why?
21:12Bloodshadow: Are you failing to convince me?
21:12Dev: I am afraid so.
21:12Bloodshadow: Do you not realize that this is what most people feel when they try to convince you of anything?
21:13Bloodshadow: If you cannot convince me through reasoning, does this not mean you should surrender?
21:13Dev: I can only say this. Repetition is the first sign that neither side can be proven.
21:13Bloodshadow: You yourself said that if I can't convince you, I should surrender.
21:14Bloodshadow: And now you say otherwise?
21:14Bloodshadow: You've contradicted yourself again. Now I will quote you on this every time you demand me to surrender.
21:14Dev: I didnt say how you should surrender.
21:15Bloodshadow: Regardless, you've given up. You admitted that you cannot convince me.
21:15Bloodshadow: Hence, should you not surrender?
21:15Dev: Not enough evidence either way.
21:16Bloodshadow: But I can make the same claim. When you try to convince me of something, I refuse to surrender, because there is not enough evidence either way.
21:16Dev: Exactly, now bye.
21:16Bloodshadow: ...
21:17Bloodshadow: I have other issues that I want to discuss too.
21:17Dev: I only force surrender when its absolutely proven in my mind.
21:18Bloodshadow: I can say the same thing.
21:18Bloodshadow: I force you to surrender because it is absolutely proven in my mind.
21:18Dev: PRINCIPLES.
21:18Bloodshadow: And you refuse to surrender because you claim there is not enough evidence either way.
21:19Bloodshadow: So when you force me to surrender, I too can claim that there is not enough evidence either way.
21:19Dev: bye.
21:24Bloodshadow: Back?
21:24Dev: ya
21:24Dev: Here is one. Intent.
21:25Bloodshadow: Yes. That is another one of the things I wanted to discuss.
21:25Bloodshadow: Prove to me that your intent is not abusive.
21:25Dev: You cannot see into another's mind save by what they say in the first place.
21:26Bloodshadow: And yet you say intents matter more than actions.
21:26Bloodshadow: Only actions can be seen.
21:26Dev: But... DEPENDIANT on their level of conviciton... you can be certain that they see such things as truth.
21:26Bloodshadow: No, I cannot.
21:27Dev: Its how much they insist on their reasoning.
21:27Bloodshadow: I'm not going to believe you just because you look really convicted. You must prove to me that your intents are not abusive.
21:27Dev: I would say Over and over again: MY INTENTS ARE NOT abusive.
21:27Bloodshadow: How do I tell you apart from a really persistent liar then?
21:28Dev: Asume its truth until proven otherwise.
21:28Bloodshadow: No.
21:28Bloodshadow: That's not how I think.
21:28Bloodshadow: Assume true unless proven false is simply too gullible.
21:29Dev: I know my reputation is destroyed.
21:29Bloodshadow: Again, this does not have to be about your reputation in FGF.
21:30Bloodshadow: For everything, I try to be open-minded yet skeptical at the same time.
21:30Bloodshadow: I do not automatically assume it's true, but I do not deny the possibility that it is true.
21:32Bloodshadow: There are many things that I believe to be true. Your claim contradicts one or more of them. Therefore, I am not going to assume your claim is true unless proven otherwise.
21:32Dev: It cannot be proven.
21:32Bloodshadow: Instead, it is natural to assume false, until you convince me to change my beliefs.
21:33Bloodshadow: I will not believe that your intents are not abusive, because you have not yet convinced me such through reasoning.
21:33Dev: its impossible thru logic.
21:33Dev: Only belief.
21:34Dev: But in this case, I know myself well enough to force people to believe.
21:34Bloodshadow: You have not succeeded.
21:35Dev: I KNOW MYSELF WELL ENOUGH TO FORCE OTHERS TO BELIEVE.
21:35Bloodshadow: But are you succeeding right now in forcing me to believe?
21:37Dev: yes. I wont deny that claim.
21:37Bloodshadow: It's absolutely proven in my mind that your intents are abusive. Therefore, I force you to surrender.
21:37Dev: Intents are in the mind.
21:37Dev: your nature can only see illusion.
21:38Bloodshadow: I believe with conviction that you are vengeful, and spammed my game solely to make me suffer.
21:38Bloodshadow: You have NOT convinced me otherwise.
21:38Bloodshadow: Your claim that your intents are not abusive directly contradicts one of my core beliefs.
21:39Bloodshadow: I have no reason to assume true, because physical evidence suggests to me your claim is false.
21:39Dev: :P How can I be vengeful when my intents are not abusive?
21:39Bloodshadow: Therefore, I will NOT assume true unless proven otherwise.
21:39Bloodshadow: But ARE your intents not abusive?
21:40Dev: they never are.
21:40Dev: I cannot prove it, but they never are.
21:40Bloodshadow: No matter how many times you repeatedly say it, I will always believe that your intents are abusive.
21:40Bloodshadow: I cannot prove it, but your intents always are.
21:42Dev: The INTENT behind the provocation was to simply prove how hated and despised I was in the first place, and you fell for that.
21:42Bloodshadow: No, your intent was simply to try to make me suffer.
21:42Bloodshadow: Your intent was abusive.
21:43Dev: wrong. My intent was to prove hatred.
21:43Bloodshadow: YOU are wrong.
21:43Bloodshadow: Your intent was abusive.
21:43Bloodshadow: You make such claims, but have nothing to back them up.
21:43Dev: WHO are you to claim MY MIND?
21:43Bloodshadow: Therefore, your claims are meaningless to me.
21:43Bloodshadow: I am not claiming your mind. I am merely claiming my beliefs concerning your mind.
21:44Bloodshadow: To me, your intents are abusive.
21:44Bloodshadow: You have done nothing to convince me otherwise.
21:44Dev: you are rejecting someting I KNOW of myself. Deny it all you want, but the evidence is as plain as the nose on your face.
21:45Bloodshadow: YOU are rejecting something I also KNOW of myself. Deny it all your want, but the evidence is as plain as the nose on YOUR face.
21:46Dev: Oh quit being a mirror.
21:46Bloodshadow: Evidence and experience taught me to believe that your intents are abusive.
21:46Bloodshadow: Why should I?
21:46Dev: because you simply should.
21:46Bloodshadow: Also, only YOU believe the evidence to be plain and obvious.
21:46Bloodshadow: Why?
21:46Bloodshadow: You simply should agree with me.
21:47Dev: it doesnt need a rsason.
21:47Dev: ITS JUST SO.
21:47Bloodshadow: Why?
21:48Dev: because I KNOW myself. Nobody else can claim that.
21:48Bloodshadow: You don't need a reason to agree with me, because I KNOW I'm right. Nobody else can claim that.
21:48Bloodshadow: You simply should agree with me.
21:48Dev: Explain this then. Why do you not believe in TRUTHS?
21:49Bloodshadow: Why do you BELIEVE in truths?
21:49Dev: I am asking now.
21:49Bloodshadow: Fine then. I will humor you.
21:49Bloodshadow: I assume you've watched the Matrix?
21:49Dev: Ahh... I get it.
21:50Bloodshadow: There is no possible way to determine that we are not in the Matrix at this very moment.
21:50Dev: Hmm... Reality defines itself.
21:50Bloodshadow: Even if we exit the Matrix and go to the "real" world, how can we know then that we're not still inside another Matrix?
21:51Dev: because reality defines itself.
21:51Bloodshadow: There is no possible way to determine that we're actually in the real world, because there is always a chance that it may simply be another virtual reality simulation.
21:51Bloodshadow: If you think this is the real world, then prove to me that we are not in the Matrix right now.
21:52Bloodshadow: In fact, I can't even be sure that you exist. I can't be sure that I'm not simply just hallucinating right now.
21:52Bloodshadow: There is no reality but my perceptions.
21:52Dev: The counter for illusion is the principle: 'Be here now'. My imagination cannot see such, but as said, the reality defines itself.
21:52Bloodshadow: And perceptions are inherently subjective.
21:53Bloodshadow: What do you mean when you say reality defines itself?
21:53Dev: fact. But its via perceptions you can be certain of.
21:53Bloodshadow: I CANNOT be certain of.
21:53Dev: Exactly that.
21:53Dev: THat is YOUR truth./
21:54Bloodshadow: I do not believe in absolute truths because I cannot be certain that they are not false.
21:54Bloodshadow: My very nature is paranoid.
21:54Bloodshadow: You still have not explained to me why I should quit being a mirror.
21:55Dev: The first sign that something cannot be changed is repetition.
21:55Bloodshadow: But it would require at least INFINITE repetitions to be ABSOLUTELY sure that it cannot change.
21:56Bloodshadow: If it's not ABSOLUTELY sure, there is always the POSSIBILITY that it MAY be false.
21:56Dev: fact. But a good standard is Three strikes.
21:56Bloodshadow: That is not good enough for me.
21:56Dev: Thats why I am giving up on you.
21:57Bloodshadow: And that's why people are giving up on you.
21:57Bloodshadow: You preach hope, yet now you yourself have lost hope on me?
21:57Dev: Right, be cause truth and opinion are all a matter of belief.
21:58Dev: ... usually.
21:58Bloodshadow: When people give up on you, you ask them to not lose hope. Can I not say the same thing to you right now?
21:59Dev: night, its 10 pm here.
21:59Bloodshadow: ...
21:59Bloodshadow: You can't stay for another 10 minutes?
21:59Bloodshadow: There is another thing I want to at least touch on.
21:59Dev: sorry, no, curbed.
21:59Bloodshadow: ...
21:59Dev: explain morrow.

Flag Post

I think that’s the debate he said was uninteresting, Zzzip.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

No it’s not.

Edit: Was it that removed post.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zzzip50:

No it’s not.

probably was, I do remember reading skimming through something similiar to what you posted

Flag Post

Yes, it was. No idea why it’s removed though; it’s just a perfectly innocent little debate.

Flag Post

I thought that debate was one of the most entertaining things I’ve read in my life.

Flag Post

Oh, dammit. You guys remember the time when Developous dared me to disprove E=mc2, and I did? Here’s the post:

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/36-forum-games/topics/192601-general-thread-is-this-worth-being-stickyd?page=228#posts-5725165

I must admit that I made a small mistake in that post. I said that p2 = mv/(1 – v2/c2), which isn’t true. The real equation is p2 = m2v2/(1 – v2/c2). At that time I haven’t done any special relativity for a few months, so don’t blame me if I get a small detail wrong.

The best part about posting science no one else understands is that if you make a mistake, nobody will notice.

…I wanted to make a stealth edit and fix that mistake, except my post has been quoted at least once. Damn.

I’m pretty sure most of us wouldn’t any mistakes you make either way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by therealsirmark4:

I’m pretty sure most of us wouldn’t any mistakes you make either way.

You accidentally the verb.

Flag Post

I noticed that while I was typing it, then went fuck it, if blood shadow is smart enough to know all of this shit, he is smart enough to decipher this.

Flag Post

…yeah, I can probably your post.