Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:
Circular Motion Quiz

I wish I had your physics teacher….

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheAznSensation:
Circular Motion Quiz

I wish I had your physics teacher….

I only wish that’s my physics teacher, dude.

Question, guys. Say, you have a friend, who seems to be quite upset about getting a bad mark in one of the tests of a class you both have. Your friend may or may not know this, but you know that you spent less time and effort studying but got a higher mark than him or her. What will you say to him or her in this situation?

Yes, obviously the thing you say has to be comforting or at least helpful. You’re saying that to your friend.

Also:

Flag Post

Interesting Fact: A google search for “Forum Games”, and we’re fourth on the list.

Flag Post

Interesting Fact: A google search for “Forum Games”, and we’re fourth on the list.

interesting fact: the more you visit a site the higher it goes

interesting fact 2: some sites pay to get to tbe top

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mspeedy250:

interesting fact: the more you visit a site the higher it goes

interesting fact 2: some sites pay to get to tbe top

Interesting Fact 4: I don’t know if Kongregate pays, but I do know that this seems to indicate that KFGF is among the most popular OFGF.

Flag Post

Your friend may or may not know this, but you know that you spent less time and effort studying but got a higher mark than him or her. What will you say to him or her in this situation?

I’ll just not tell him what grade I got. If he asks, I’ll dodge the subject. I’ve done it before, and funnily enough, they sometimes end up thinking that I’m hiding my grade because I failed worse than them.

Strange, I see it as fifth.

Flag Post

I’ll just not tell him what grade I got. If he asks, I’ll dodge the subject. I’ve done it before, and funnily enough, they sometimes end up thinking that I’m hiding my grade because I failed worse than them.

No, I mean, the important part is that your friend feels really bad because he or she got a bad grade. What would you say to try to make him or her feel better? If I were in that situation (which I was this year, repeatedly, toward multiple people), any supposedly comforting words that come out of my mouth would feel like cheap lies and pleasantries to myself.

Flag Post
If I were in that situation (which I was this year, repeatedly, toward multiple people), any supposedly comforting words that come out of my mouth would feel like cheap lies and pleasantries to myself.

I avoid feeding people false positive feedback; if they did poorly on a test, I will not seek to either encourage nor discourage them.
Rather, I offer my services — not dirty, you perverts — to aid them in augmenting their knowledge.

The best way to cheer a bird who can not fly, is to teach them how to fly. By The AznSensation

Flag Post

No, I mean, the important part is that your friend feels really bad because he or she got a bad grade. What would you say to try to make him or her feel better? If I were in that situation (which I was this year, repeatedly, toward multiple people), any supposedly comforting words that come out of my mouth would feel like cheap lies and pleasantries to myself.

Exactly. I wouldn’t tell him anything. I’m not the type for compliments, and I feel awkward if I try to cheer someone up because I don’t actually believe in what I’m saying. The best that would come out of me would be “that sucks” because it probably does. I’d rather just listen than lie, even if it’s a white lie.

Flag Post

But it feels awkward if I just listen and say nothing. I don’t want to appear cold and uncaring.

Flag Post

@Jask

Not to mention that AN’s and Bluji’s avatars are the exact same..

Flag Post
Originally posted by GottaAskTheMan:

@Jask

Not to mention that AN’s and Bluji’s avatars are the exact same..

They aren’t, are you blind?

Flag Post
Originally posted by GottaAskTheMan:

@Jask

Not to mention that AN’s and Bluji’s avatars were the exact same a couple weeks ago..

FTFY

Flag Post

A search of “Forum Games Forum” brings up FGF as the first result.

FGF doesn’t help because there’s a Fibroblast Growth Factor out there. Neither does FGF Forum, due to the presence of a Fighting Gamecock’s Forum.

If I were in that situation (which I was this year, repeatedly, toward multiple people), any supposedly comforting words that come out of my mouth would feel like cheap lies and pleasantries to myself.

That’s actually part of the reason why we can’t suggest the best solution for you here. Different people need different kinds of “pick-me-up”s, and the people who seem best adapted to consoling are those who know the person, well, personally.

Comforting words may feel like pleasantries or cheap lies to you, but not necessarily to other people. That’s partly because of the fact that you are considering a hypothetical situation where you are being consoled by your own words, which don’t actually console you since you know that the words aren’t actually meant, or you don’t perceive yourself as a source of comfort for yourself. How we take consolation depends on our relation with the person who is consoling us.

I’ve faced this situation aplenty (and its reverse, but I’ll come to that later), and what I’ve learned is that the absolutely worst things that you can do at this stage are:

A) criticize the people who took the exam/checked your copies or whatever (if they find out how much you got in the test, things will get messy when you try to explain how you got good marks from the supposedly unfair examiner)

B) show your own marks to the friend directly (that’s like strangling your friendship). Beside these two, nearly anything can work. Yes, I actually have friends who don’t care about their marks and feel much better when I join in with their laughter about it (since the only reason they were sad was because they would get beaten by their parents or something weird like that anyway).

If he questions how much you got, dodging the question is, as devourer said, a really good tactics. For one, your friend may think that you got really bad marks as well, which somehow ‘puts you two on even ground’, from where you can handle yourself on your own.

If he does manage to find out how much you got, one of many things can happen, but the two that usually do happen are

1) Friend realizes that you didn’t want to demoralize them with your better marks, and appreciates your thought

2) Friend wants to learn from you how to improve in the future. If you can advise them without being too patronizing, this is definitely good.

If you really want to say something that doesn’t appear extremely cheap but is at least slightly comforting, you can always say something along the lines of:

1) Admitting that they did do badly (not necessarily verbally). Admission can actually be something of a consolation. What you really want to avoid saying is “Forget that” or “Doesn’t matter”, because that can’t be true, or your friend wouldn’t be sad in the first place.

It does matter to them, and by acknowledging their feelings, you show that you respect their emotions. Don’t forget it, or try to stomp it down. Failure is something natural, and you must be willing to embrace it so that you can rise above it.

2) Don’t try to, uh, manhandle your friend through their times of sorrow. I’ve probably got the term wrong, but basically, don’t try to force them out of their sadness or anything. Failure is natural, and the feeling of being a failure is also natural. You can’t force someone to be happy.

What you CAN do, and what I think you ARE doing, is just being who you are: say comforting words when they want comforting words, listen to them when they want to be heard, and above all, be silent, or step away when they need to be alone. Think of yourself in their shoes sometimes, but remember that they aren’t you. Your words may mean differently to them, so saying “Gah, it sucks, but the next test is gonna be an ace” may work for you, but they may think that you are having too much confidence in them, which can make some people actually even sadder.

3) Offer an active course of action. Offer to study together for the next exam, if possible. Offer to do library work with them. Offer to watch your favorite show together or something to take their mind off things. Don’t give up if they decline your offer. Keep it up, but don’t nag, vary it, if required, offering to help them in different ways, or not if they seem to want to take to the skies alone. They will know that you care for them, whichever way it goes.

4) Above all, don’t be sad yourself. Don’t feel that you aren’t a good friend because you failed to comfort them, or because they are sad. That’s probably unlikely, but you never know what happens in this world.

I think I got carried away, but you might have got the gist of what I have been trying to say.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AdeebNafees:

A search of “Forum Games Forum” brings up FGF as the first result.

FGF doesn’t help because there’s a Fibroblast Growth Factor out there. Neither does FGF Forum, due to the presence of a Fighting Gamecock’s Forum.

hands over a cloth to AN

There, now it’s your turn to clean my laptop.

Flag Post

Lol @ #2 so hard.

[I think that might have been the joke.]

I’m looking for a new game to play, and honestly their are so many to choose from I feel a bit overwhelmed. I thought maybe I would post what kinds I am intrested in and see which if any you all suggest :) I"m lazy about checking this post’s, i hope they pop up in my profile to show me who responded, but if they dont please send me a message threw my profile. Thanks in advance.

I played Tyrant for a minute, was fun but just got really tired of the grind, so card games arent really something i’m looking for, but what i’m intrested in is…..

1.) RPG diablo type game, can be a multiplayer, but just bascially something intresting where I can upgrade my character, and fight and kill things.

2.) Turn based, I enjoyed the Sunny game, I wouldnt mind something along those lines as well.

Thanks again, and look foward to seeing what you suggest.

[You’re looking for General Gaming, not Forum Games.]

Flag Post

Is it really that hard to be positive and supportive, hells before most of my tests, I give some words of encouragement to everyone, something along the lines of, “Y’all can do it, ah believe in you!” even going as far to give more words of encouragement during the test.

Flag Post
Originally posted by therealsirmark4:
even going as far to give more words of encouragement during the test.

Around here, that would result in your test being taken up and a grade of 0 recorded.

Most people aren’t supportive of each other before (and even after) tests because they look at grades as a competition between themselves and everyone else. They’re not, of course, but good luck getting anyone else to see that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

Around here, that would result in your test being taken up and a grade of 0 recorded.

Most people aren’t supportive of each other before (and even after) tests because they look at grades as a competition between themselves and everyone else. They’re not, of course, but good luck getting anyone else to see that.

[I automatically assume that anyone with average intelligence can get top marks on most things in school. Therefore, if I get below that I’m below average and if I get it, I’m simply average. The only way I can prove that I’m actually good is by besting everyone else. Which I find impossible.]

Flag Post
Originally posted by S_98:

Farewell, Kongregate. I’ll miss you. To all of you who made my stay here a wonderful one, thank you. I am indebted to you all. May God bless you all to have a wonderful and glorious full life. You’ll do well. I have faith in all of you. Make the world proud. I am posting this so that you will know I am well.

The reason I am leaving, you may ask? I’ll leave that undisclosed for the time being. An apology I bid to all the respectable Game Moderators of games that I am still participating in; I would no longer be able to participate in your games anymore.

To all those at FGF: You are my home, and my childhood. I love you all.

The final farewell I bid to you, fellow comrades. Live Life.

Edit: This might potentially be my last post here. by the way, I requested a Permaban from Mr. Zee. Anyway, carry on the passion!

Omg, I think he’s back!

Flag Post

Omg, I think he’s back!

He doesn’t want anything to do with FGF anymore.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jaskaran2000:

Omg, I think he’s back!

I don’t want anything to do with FGF anymore*.
Almost right, but still not there yet.

Flag Post

But it looks like you still checked FGF anyway…? Hmm.

Flag Post
Originally posted by S_98:
Originally posted by Jaskaran2000:

Omg, I think he’s back!

I don’t want anything to do with FGF anymore*.
Almost right, but still not there yet.

But why? D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

Actualyy, I am one compettitive motherfucker when it comes to grades. It’s my way of finding something to give me worth in my existence. However, I am a pretty friendly person in competitions, think of that one guy who will help you back up and get dirt off your back, a minute before brutally putting you back on the ground. Also, in most of my classes, you don’t really get in trouble for that kind of thing, and only will if; One, get told not to do it again. Two, it’s a big test, like a benchmark or final. And finally Three, if you don’t make it obvious that your not cheating. The reason why teachers don’t like students talking durring tests is because they can either be cheating, or make enough noise and distraction for a cheater. If it’s just me, saying in a loud, and clear voice, “Don’t worry, you can do it!” and then quickly getting back to work, teacher might just shrug it off, or give me a warning.