The General Thread (A.K.A. Funky Town) page 581

25754 posts

Flag Post

Try the art forum.

Flag Post

I have decided to write a novel!

Yeah… I tried to do that like, four times. I did finish the first one, over six years ago… but it was crap beyond your imagination. And I never finished any of my next attempts. Never even really started any of them, really. So if you’re going to write a novel, good luck; I hope you have the will to continue.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

Yeah… I tried to do that like, four times. I did finish the first one, over six years ago… but it was crap beyond your imagination. And I never finished any of my next attempts. Never even really started any of them, really. So if you’re going to write a novel, good luck; I hope you have the will to continue.

Thank you, B_S. I’m sorry none of your attempts worked out.

Flag Post

but if you guys would let me, I’d rather post it here chapter-by-chapter.

I’d be very willing to critique your work here.

… this is a nice topic for OT.. but not for forum games… Seriously, read the forum name… FORUM GAMES, not STORY FORUMS. Read. Learn. Think.

This is the General Thread. I really don’t see the problem.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NimbusCloud26:

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!
Not really anything important.

All through middle and high school, people tell me that I’m good at writing. I never believed them, mostly because not a lot of people get a chance to critique my work, because I’m sort of scared of criticism. So I figured, there is basically no better way to get criticism then release it as open viewing to the internet. So from now on I will be doing that. Probably in Off Topic, but if you guys would let me, I’d rather post it here chapter-by-chapter.

Also I’m really, really sorry if this sounds really self-centered, which is most likely does. I’m not trying to do that, I’m just trying to get some constructive criticism. So sorry.

Hmmm, A novel? that`s interesting.

Flag Post

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!

All through middle and high school, people tell me that I’m good at writing. I never believed them, mostly because not a lot of people get a chance to critique my work, because I’m sort of scared of criticism. So I figured, there is basically no better way to get criticism then release it as open viewing to the internet. So from now on I will be doing that. Probably in Off Topic, but if you guys would let me, I’d rather post it here chapter-by-chapter.

Also I’m really, really sorry if this sounds really self-centered, which is most likely does. I’m not trying to do that, I’m just trying to get some constructive criticism. So sorry.

I tried to write a novel once. They I realized that I am a lazy ass and will only end up feeling like writing once every month or two, or 5. Good luck to you, good sir.

Flag Post

Staying motivated to do anything that doesn’t offer an immediate reward to me has always been a difficult task for me, as I’m sure it is for everybody else as well. I don’t see that writing a novel will offer any immediate reward, the entire way through, so staying motivated seems to be a challenge which will almost certainly present itself.

Oh yeah. You should post each chapter in a google document or something, and just link it here in the general thread. If I get around to noticing your work, I’ll be glad to read it and tell ya’ what I think.

I think putting it in OT would be a dumb idea. OT is a no-man’s land. Everybody’s there to post whatever random elephant poop they can think of at any given moment. Here in FGF, a lot of us are focused on writing and RP-style things (although that seems to have fallen out of fashion recently in favour of poorly thought out donkey pies which pop up every five hours) so I feel this is a community full of an appropriate audience to which to present your writing.

Well, I’m done rambling for now. Have a nice day, FGF .

Flag Post
Originally posted by hangman95:

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!

… this is a nice topic for OT.. but not for forum games… Seriously, read the forum name… FORUM GAMES, not STORY FORUMS. Read. Learn. Think.

:/

Flag Post

Hangman, I have taken the honor of proof-reading and correcting your post. I believe you will be happy with the corrections I made. Take a look.

Originally posted by hangman95:

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!

… this is a nice topic for the general thread, which is where you put this, and not in it’s own thread.… Seriously, good placement of your statement GENERAL THREAD, not somewhere it shouldn’t be like it’s OWN THREAD. Good luck writing a novel.

Flag Post

I have a message for Hangman95, Squidward, BClegends, RokRokRok, FelineForumer, Jimbo14, koopa112 and Randomturtle

STOP BEING INACTIVE on my game
Go do something

Flag Post

Thank you guys for your support. I’ve tried doig this before, but I had no motivation, and I’m hoping posting that will help get me motivated.

Flag Post

I’ve participated in NaNoWriMo 2011 alongside Adeeb. Sadly, he waned out, and I did shortly after – it wasn’t as fun alone, so I kind of gave up.

You kind of missed the 2012 edition, Nimbus – oh well. It’s not like you need a special month to write, although it’s a nice incentive.

Flag Post

Due to various reasons; I am cutting my 6 months break shot by a lot. I doubt any of you missed me, or thought about my absence, but after a week and a day, I am back.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Nimbus what is the novel about? and welcome back jask.

Flag Post

Hey, any of you guys remember when I talked about the lockdown last week at my school? Today there was a gas leak. Best high school ever.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MasterCheif987:

Hey, any of you guys remember when I talked about the lockdown last week at my school? Today there was a gas leak. Best high school ever.

[Explosive gas or poisonous gas or what]

Flag Post
Originally posted by Knoob85687:
Originally posted by MasterCheif987:

[Explosive gas or poisonous gas or what]

I’m pretty sure explosive, but I don’t know. Nobody lit a match to see. All I know is that it got me out of first period and out of school two periods early.

Flag Post

Alright, um, here are the introductions to the two best ideas I had.

INTROS
The Caged

Accessing data transmission… Title: BOOK OF REVOLUTION.
Display? Y/N
Nick was intrigued by this message. He had heard of this “Book of Revolution”. In whispers, of course, not anywhere where the Whitecoats could hear. And here it was, just sitting here on the Lab’s only computer Caged could access, and even then, only for a short period of time. Nick dragged the cursor towards “No”. He didn’t want to get in trouble with the Whitecoats. Nick laughed silently. Of course he didn’t. No one did, because that meant further Tests, which were sure to find you as “more powerful than they initially realized,” and they would take you to a “special testing center”, smack dab in the middle of what used to be called the Sahara. And it was common knowledge about what happened there. Common enough to warrant another name- “the Slaughterhouse.” Whoo, boy. Nick certainly did not want to get in trouble and be sent there. He was glad his powers fell on the low end of the scale. At least, they did after he… convinced the testers that he wasn’t as good as the Tests said he was. But, at the very last second, Nick swung the cursor towards the “Yes” and, making the riskiest, but also the most life changing decision he would ever have a chance to make, he clicked it. And the accept pop-up after that, and the one after that, and- they certainly were giving him a lot of chances to turn back, weren’t they? Well, that’s too bad, because Nick was now much more determined to continue on. After all, why give so many chances to turn back and leave if there wasn’t something really exciting at the end of the road??

The Colony

Aaron felt he was on to something. Even now, in the year 2598, no one else had been able to follow the clues as he had. To… connect the dots, per se. He, a 15 year old boy, had risen to the top of the JuneCorp corporate ladder quicker then ever before, setting company records left and right. With no help from anyone! Well, maybe his father had a little something to do with it. But that wasn’t the point. The point was, Aaron had followed a trail of clues left by Sir John Franklin in the 19th century that amazingly, no one else had seen! Sir John Franklin had first convinced the British to let him sail on a fourth arctic expedition, saying he was trying to find the Northwest Passage, but he had actually been on to soemthing much, much more exciting! And now, hundreds of years later, the youngest JuneCorp CEO in history, boy Aaron loved saying that, had stumbled onto quite possibly the most well-kept secret of all time! He had just finished the checklist on the expedition team, and they were now boarding the HoverPods 2.3942, the most efficient JuneCorp prototype yet! It ran entirely off of an on-board anti-grav matrix, with no waste! Anyways, now Aaron and a hand-picked group of other JuneCorp technicians tuned in to the crew’s eye cameras, all outside noise falling to nothing but the occasional breath. They watched, as hours later, the team found a stairwell carved into the ice, carefully concealed by a snowdrift that Aaron would swear his life had never melted once. And they watched as the team came across a room, whos main attraction was the softly glowing white oval, which pulsed like a heartbeat. They watched as one of the team was pushed through, coming out again a moment later with a look of wonder on his face.
Yep. Aaron was definitely on to something.

Flag Post

GAAAAAAAAaaaaahhh…
I AM BACK!!! :D

Did any of you miss me?

Flag Post

Alright, um, here are the introductions to the two best ideas I had.

I’ll comment when I have the time to read.

I AM BACK!!! :D

Welcome back!

Flag Post

Well Nimbus, I do like me some good sci-fi, and the colony seems more along those lines, but I must say I like The Caged more at the moment.

Flag Post

It is a good sci-fi; good enough for it’s own thread in the off-topic section or some place like that! Seriously, your thread might become popular!

Flag Post

That is a terrible idea.

OT is not the sort of place where people can appreciate literature. It is a land where everybody shouts their five cents of random crap just ‘cause. I think it’s better off being kept to FGF, although perhaps simply have a single post, a table of contents, of sorts, linking to each chapter, posted on a separate site.

Fairly descent writing, by the way. Having said that, I can’t say for sure if I like either one yet. I feel like the natural progression, for either one of those, would be to then ‘start from the beginning’ and begin with a pedestrian story which eventually leads into the chaos that is the scenes you’ve shown us. If you plan on doing that, great. Otherwise, I think it might be a bit meh.

Just my five cents. Happy writing!