[Game] The Mole (The winner has been announced!) page 30 (locked)

792 posts

Flag Post

Steps Taken: 10/85

Bullsh!t. Two plus four equals six, not ten.

Flag Post

BC’s right—6 steps have been taken.

Flag Post

Oh, sorry, I was looking at the example one. facepalm. Wouldn’t in be 5 though, because I took three steps?

Flag Post

…yes, that is three steps. Except, I notice, you put it as four steps in your post, which it is not.

Flag Post

It is 4 steps, because Mystery started at H8. From now on, it would be helpful to include your starting square (i.e. the square that you’re currently on before you make your move) in your move in order to eliminate similar confusion in the future.

(just now noticing Mystery edited his post)—Yeah, don’t do that. If I see something that needs clarification, I’ll make a post clarifying it. Don’t edit your posts even if it is to correct something—at the very least, it can create even more confusion, and at worst, it can be used to intentionally deceive someone.

Flag Post

OK fine, I changed it back.

Flag Post

Deadline is in about 3 days and 1 hour.

Flag Post

OK, well that task didn’t get anywhere. You didn’t find the treasure, and no money goes into the pot. The pot now stands at $504,000 out of a possible $942,000. At any rate, there is just one more task before the final quiz.

Round 7, Task 21: 4 Puzzles

The three of you will be competing individually in a race to complete four puzzles. Shortly, I will PM each of you your first puzzle. You will have 24 hours to submit an answer to the puzzle via PM (or skip it—more on that below). If you answer the puzzle correctly, you will move on to the next puzzle at the end of the 24-hour period. If you answer incorrectly, you must wait until the next 24-hour period before you can answer again.

You are allowed to skip one of the 4 puzzles—to do so, simply submit “Skip” to me within the 24-hour period. Additionally, giving 4 incorrect answers will also take you to the next puzzle (meaning that it is better to give an incorrect answer than to not give an answer at all). The first person to complete each of their 4 puzzles (either by answering correctly, giving 4 incorrect answers, or skipping them) will win the task and have the option of either adding $58,000 to the pot (why $58,000? So the total possible pot reaches $1,000,000, as promised in the beginning), or receiving 3 bonus points on the final quiz (note that if Bluji wins and chooses this option, these 3 points are added to the 3 he already earned, giving him a total of 6 bonus points—assuming, of course, that he takes the final quiz).

So the first 24-hour period begins tonight at 9:30 PM CDT/GMT-5 (about 30 minutes from now). You have until 9:30 PM tomorrow to submit an answer for the first puzzle. At that time, I will tell you if your answer is correct or not, and then either give you a new puzzle or tell you to try again. This process will continue until someone wins the task.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

OK, well that task didn’t get anywhere. You didn’t find the treasure, and no money goes into the pot. The pot now stands at $504,000 out of a possible $942,000. At any rate, there is just one more task before the final quiz.

Round 7, Task 21: 4 Puzzles

The three of you will be competing individually in a race to complete four puzzles. Shortly, I will PM each of you your first puzzle. You will have 24 hours to submit an answer to the puzzle via PM (or skip it—more on that below). If you answer the puzzle correctly, you will move on to the next puzzle at the end of the 24-hour period. If you answer incorrectly, you must wait until the next 24-hour period before you can answer again.

You are allowed to skip one of the 4 puzzles—to do so, simply submit “Skip” to me within the 24-hour period. Additionally, giving 4 incorrect answers will also take you to the next puzzle (meaning that it is better to give an incorrect answer than to not give an answer at all). The first person to complete each of their 4 puzzles (either by answering correctly, giving 4 incorrect answers, or skipping them) will win the task and have the option of either adding $58,000 to the pot (why $58,000? So the total possible pot reaches $1,000,000, as promised in the beginning), or receiving 3 bonus points on the final quiz (note that if Bluji wins and chooses this option, these 3 points are added to the 3 he already earned, giving him a total of 6 bonus points—assuming, of course, that he takes the final quiz).

So the first 24-hour period begins tonight at 9:30 PM CDT/GMT-5 (about 30 minutes from now). You have until 9:30 PM tomorrow to submit an answer for the first puzzle. At that time, I will tell you if your answer is correct or not, and then either give you a new puzzle or tell you to try again. This process will continue until someone wins the task.

Frankly, errrr… Racefan, I couldn’t resist missing out on the puzzles.
May I please have a look at the puzzzles as well?

Flag Post

Yeah I’d like to see the puzzles too.

Flag Post

After the task ends, I’ll post what the puzzles were.

Flag Post

After the task ends, I’ll post what the puzzles were.

No! Must try to compete with the other contestants! Erm… How, how, how?
Errr… But if we do, then you will be breaking the rules of not posting during an elimination quiz. So, it would be best if we’d just have a look at them now. To be PM’ed to us. :) Please?

Flag Post
Originally posted by S_98:
Errr… But if we do, then you will be breaking the rules of not posting during an elimination quiz. So, it would be best if we’d just have a look at them now. To be PM’ed to us. :) Please?

After the task, but before the quiz ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by S_98:

After the task, but before the quiz ;)

But the Task would have ended and the puzzle would become void, along with the answers! And we wouldn’t want hard work, grit and determination to go down the drain, do we?
Resistance is futile! Cede the puzzles immediately!

Flag Post

I haven’t heard anything from any of the players. Remember, if you don’t know the answer to the puzzle, you can either skip it (though you can only do this once) or get to the next puzzle by submitting four incorrect answers over (at least) four days. Submitting nothing gets you no closer to winning the task.

Flag Post

Just so you know, I was without a computer the whole Sunday. I apologize.

Flag Post

No need to apologize—I was just getting concerned because I hadn’t heard from any of the players about this game in nearly 5 days (stretching back to the middle of Task 20). And unlike Task 20, I can’t just end this one at a deadline if no one is active—someone has to win it, no matter how long it takes.

Of course, I’m not going to replace anyone this close to the end, but it seems like it would be in each player’s best interest to be committed to the last few days of this game.

Flag Post

I don’t suppose you’ve prodded everybody via PMs already, have you?

Flag Post

Yeah, and everything’s back to normal now.

Flag Post

has there been any progress yet? I want to see who the mole was.

Flag Post

There’s been progress, but no one has completed all 4 puzzles.

Flag Post
Originally posted by wercooler:

has there been any progress yet? I want to see who the mole was.

Obviously, RF isn’t going to be specific, because then anybody who’s behind will try to put at least 20% more effort into their attempts.

Flag Post

If I thought that being specific would cause people to put more effort in, I’d do it (I’ll do just about anything at this point).

Yet another set of reminder PMs is going out.

Flag Post

And Task 21 has finally ended!

Puzzle 1 was a Countdown-style puzzle. The numbers to use were 50, 4, 7, 7, 6, and 3; and the target number was 965. There were actually 2 solutions to this puzzle:

My solution was:

50-4=46
7*3=21
46*21=966
7-6=1
966-1=965

or [(50-4) x (7*3)]-(7-6)=965

Bluji, however, came up with an alternate solution:

50*4=200
200-7=193
6/3=2
7-2=5
193*5=965

or (50*4-7) x (7-6/3)=965

Puzzle 2 was a clue-based puzzle. The three clues were:

Clue 1: Very recent
Clue 2: 100 times 100 (This did not mean 10,000 as people assumed it did)
Clue 3: Indian

My intended answer was Sachin Tendulkar, an Indian cricketer who very recently scored his 100th international century. However, because of the vagueness of my clues, I received a couple of other answers that I found acceptable.

Puzzle 3 was an anagram that seemingly stumped everybody. The letters to unscramble were:

ADEEEHHLMNOOPSTWUY

and the players were looking for a 5-word sentence. The correct answer (which no one got) was:

The mole has pwned you.

Apparently, no one thought of “pwned”. Pwned.

Finally, the fourth puzzle was simply to arrange the eliminated players in order from the earliest eliminated to the latest eliminated (for the quiz where two players were eliminated, the one whose name appeared higher in my post announcing the elimination was assumed to have been eliminated first). The correct answer was:

AdeebNafees
MaistlinRajere
tracymirkin123
LouWeed
SamsterSamster
squidward568
S_98

While BC and Myst got stuck on Task 3, Bluji was the first one to complete all four puzzles, thus winning the task! Congratulations, Bluji—now you have a decision to make. Please post in-thread whether you choose to get 3 extra points on the final quiz, or to put $58,000 in the pot.

Final quiz note: Assuming that Bluji posts his choice today, the final quiz will be posted tomorrow night, March 30, at 11:00 PM CDT/GMT-5.

Flag Post

Must know who the mole is… MUST KNOW!