[Competition] The Minotaur's Gauntlet | FIN (Maistlin won!)

160 posts

Flag Post

Not reserved for lock, but something else.
Qualifying round is at the bottom of this page.
Minotaur audition update is at the top of page 2.

Flag Post

The Minotaur's Gauntlet

This is not the sequel to, or a remake of the Labyrinth -- it's a spin-off.

This is going to be a flash game competition where the players choose the games. Except for one special player, who will be playing the part of the Minotaur -- he has to play the games that everyone else chooses. The other players are henceforth referred to as "the meat". If the meat's scores hold up to the Minotaur's relentless attacks, then the meat wins. If the Minotaur manages to destroy everyone, then the Minotaur wins. The number of rounds will be dependent on how much meat there is.

Who Is this "Minotaur"?
Towards the end of the Labyrinth, a shadowy figure appeared: the Minotaur. The finalists could post scores for a game of their choosing, and the Minotaur would try to beat the scores. If the Minotaur was unsuccessful, then they were awarded a bonus. At the end of the game, it was revealed the Minotaur was in fact Ben_B. Ben however, is too busy to play the part of the Minotaur this time, and anyway it wouldn't be any fun if everyone knows who the Minotaur is. So I'm holding an audition.

Sign?
Not yet. Once a suitable Minotaur has been selected, a regular qualifying round will be held.

I get to choose my own games?
Within reason, yes. Once you have qualified, you will need to select at least five games, and pm the list to me. You can choose any games you like, but beware: I will veto your choices if I deem them to be unsuitable for competition. The games you choose should meet the following requirements:
1. The game should appear on this list (thanks to racefan12)
2. The game should have Kong high-scores, or some third-party (e.g. Mochi) high-scores
3. The game should be glitch-free.
4. The game should not be TD, launcher, idle, rpg, etc.
5. The game should not rely too heavily on save files
As I mentioned, the game doesn't have to follow these rules, and there may be games that follow all of these rules that I will still veto. So the most important thing when choosing a game is just to use common sense.

As the competition goes on, you may need to choose more games. You should pm me new games at least 24 hours before you intend to use them.

So how is this all going to work, anyway
Well, once we've got a Minotaur, and some meat, and everyone has given me a list of games (which I have approved), then the first round can begin.

Each round will last four days (this may vary). The meat each have three days to get a score for one of their games. They may post their score at any time during those three days. Once a score has been posted, the Minotaur has 24 hours to try and beat it. If the Minotaur is successful, then the meat is eliminated. All scores that are posted must be gotten within the period allowed; the meat is not allowed to post scores that they got prior to the three days they were allowed, and the Minotaur is not allowed to post a score that he got before the 24 period. The following additional rules must be observed:
1. No editing of posts to insert screenshots is allowed.
2. The meat are only allowed to post one score per game, per round.
3. You may not post a score for a game that has been used in a previous round, even if it has been approved.

Victory Conditions
The meat wins if he/she is the only piece of meat left at the end of any round.
The Minotaur wins if, at the end of any round, there is no more meat left.

Elimination
The meat is eliminated if the Minotaur beats their scores.
The Minotaur is eliminated if he fails to beat any scores in a given round.

Disqualification
Any player (meat or Minotaur) will be disqualified if they are found to have cheated at one of the games, or if they edited their posts to insert screenshots.

I might make a spreadsheet thingy, dunno yet.

Flag Post

Mintaur Auditions

Want to be the Minotaur? You must follow the following rules:
1. Don’t talk about the Minotaur’s Gauntlet
2. Don’t talk about the Minotaur’s Gauntlet
3. Seriously, don’t post in this thread under your normal account, or tell anyone you’re trying out.
4. Do the best you can in the World’s hardest Game, and pm me a screenshot by 9am GMT on April 2.
5. In the event of a tie (always a risk when the score is capped), the applicant with the highest score in Hexagon will be declared the winner
Screenshots like this, please:

Note the red plug next to my user name. Play the game while disconnected, so no-one suspects. You’re aiming for most levels completed, followed by lowest number of deaths. In Hexagon, you want to survive for as long as possible.

Once the auditions have finished, I’ll notify everyone who tried out via pm to tell them whether or not they were successful. If you failed, you can still play in the Gauntlet as a regular player the meat.

Flag Post

I’ve added some extra rules:

The meat are only allowed to post one score per game, per round.

You may not post a score for a game that has been used in a previous round, even if it has been approved.

Also, I’ve changed the deadline for auditions to the 2nd of April because it’s occoured to me that some may suspect this entire game to be some kind of elaborate April Fool’s joke.

…. and while I’m on the subject of April Fool’s, what does everyone think Kong will do for this year’s April Fool’s Joke?

Flag Post

I hope the April Fool’s Joke is good. Maybe make Developous a mod or something.

Flag Post

Well, I think it will have something to do with Kong+

An update on the auditions: I’ve received 3 applications so far and now I’m worried I’ll get multiple applicants who beat the game with 0 deaths. So … I’ll have to figure something out. Watch this space.

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

Well, I think it will have something to do with Kong+

An update on the auditions: I’ve received 3 applications so far and now I’m worried I’ll get multiple applicants who beat the game with 0 deaths. So … I’ll have to figure something out. Watch this space.

Zero deaths?! Dang, these gamers are hardcore… Well, not necessarily hardcore, but… really good.

Flag Post

I didn’t say anyone had actually managed 0 deaths yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me

Flag Post

can i bemeat?

Flag Post
Originally posted by sinnikis:

can i bemeat?

This is after a minotaur is decided (Read the instructions -.-).

Flag Post

I’d like to compete against someone, who can get 0 deaths in this game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JoshDragon:

I’d like to compete against someone, who can get 0 deaths in this game.

I’ve never even managed to beat it before T.T. And I discovered this game like 4 years ago.

Flag Post

you’re all welcome to join once we have a minotaur. I have picked the most epic qualifying game ever. Even better than YHTBTR.

Flag Post

you’re all welcome to join once we have a minotaur. I have picked the most epic qualifying game ever. Even better than YHTBTR.

My expectations are now extremely high. Don’t disappoint me.

Flag Post

Even better…? I’m worried yet somewhat excited to find out what it is..

Flag Post

Bump

I haven’t necessarily joined though..

Flag Post
Originally posted by devourer359:

Originally posted by Hyped:

Ooh, the pressure…

Anyway, only 5 deaths separate the two best scores submitted so far, so I’ve added a tie-breaker. The tie-breaker will only be used in the event of a tie, so I picked a nice short game because it probably won’t matter. My only regret is that now it can’t be used in the regular competition. Oh well.

Originally posted by Drovoxx:

Bump

Where you been? And did you happen to see AdeebNafees there?

Flag Post
Originally posted by devourer359:

Originally posted by Hyped:

Ooh, the pressure…

Anyway, only 5 deaths separate the two best scores submitted so far, so I’ve added a tie-breaker. The tie-breaker will only be used in the event of a tie, so I picked a nice short game because it probably won’t matter. My only regret is that now it can’t be used in the regular competition. Oh well.

Originally posted by Drovoxx:

Bump

Where you been? And did you happen to see AdeebNafees there?

I was playing Team Fortress 2 the last 9 months. And what happened to Adeeb?

Flag Post

Adeeb abruptly disappeared in early February, and no one knows what happened to him.

Flag Post

Okay weeeelllll, submissions for the part of the Minotaur close in less that 24 hours and at the moment it’s looking like a two-horse race. A very close one, too — just one death in it. The qualifying round for the meat will be coming up, so if you are planning to qualify, you can pm me your list of games anytime starting now, really. The sooner the better since I need to approve them.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Less than 5 hours to go. The best score I’ve received so far is 10 deaths clear of the next best. Guess I didn’t need that tie-breaker after all.

EDIT: I think daylight savings may have inadvertently extended the deadline by an hour.

Flag Post

Less than 5 hours to go. The best score I’ve received so far is 10 deaths clear of the next best. Guess I didn’t need that tie-breaker after all.

EDIT: I think daylight savings may have inadvertently extended the deadline by an hour.

9AM GMT is in 4 hours and 9 minutes.

Flag Post

Hmm. Yeah better make 10am GMT. That will be the deadline time for all of the rounds.

Flag Post

I’m annoyed about the Minotaur auditions; the two best scores are so good that I’m going to extend the audition for another day. Third best score was not too shabby either, so I have formulated a plan. A plan of fury. I’ll add another post soon explaining exactly what’s happening, but for now I need to get the meat moving, so:

Meat Qualitying round — Pooptag

When people ask me what it is that makes Kongregate this big — whatever it is — I tell them that it’s games like the one I’ve picked out for the qualifier, for better or worse. Meet your new favourite game, meat: Pooptag. Place at least 10 poops to qualify, and post a screenshot in this thread, like this:

Make sure you have:
1. Green plug & username at top-right
2. Your score displayed in the daily tab (normally I don’t care about whether it’s weekly or daily, but for the rest of this competition it’s going to be a requirement, so you may as well get into the habit now)
3. End-game screen, stating how many poops you managed to place.

Once you’ve qualified, you need to send me a list of at least 5 games you want to play:

You can choose any games you like, but beware: I will veto your choices if I deem them to be unsuitable for competition. The games you choose should meet the following requirements:
1. The game should appear on this list (thanks to racefan12)
2. The game should have Kong high-scores, or some third-party (e.g. Mochi) high-scores
3. The game should be glitch-free.
4. The game should not be TD, launcher, idle, rpg, etc.
5. The game should not rely too heavily on save files
As I mentioned, the game doesn’t have to follow these rules, and there may be games that follow all of these rules that I will still veto. So the most important thing when choosing a game is just to use common sense.

Round 1 begins in 3 days (10am GMT 5th April), provided everyone has at least one game approved. The qualifier will pretty much finish then too.