Kongregate D&D - The Carpenter of Mistfront [Mephistopheles' Mirror Arc] (locked)

153 posts

Flag Post

…As you step through the door, you find yourself in a small dirt-floored cottage. The walls are a mix of mud and wooden slots, with a thatch roof sitting on top. The old man from the tavern is sitting in a nearby rocking chair… Apparently asleep. The time seems to be mid-day, and a comfortable summer breeze blows lightly.

 
Flag Post

Oloroar
“Old man, this is no time for napping, this is time for evil-destroying!” I shout, trying to wake up the old man, “Hm? What? Oh, you’re from the bar aren’t you?” he asks. “Yep. My partners should be arriving any second now,” I tell him. "So why don’t we get started. Where’s the mill?

 
Flag Post

Volsung

That wasn’t so bad I think to myself. It’s just like the first mysterious door
Oloroar seems to have arrived safely as well, but Harrion is nowhere to be found.

“Where is the priest, I think we should speak to him first”.

 
Flag Post

The old man half-jumps (That thing old people tend to do when excited) and claps his hands. “Oh good! Good! You’re here to make our problems go away. Yes, yes! Oh, goodness, thank you!”. He turns and tugs you out the door, pointing at the various buildings… There are five similar huts, centered around what seems to be the church (Seeing as it’s the only building made of brick). A short distance away, probably no more than 100 yards, a larger building stands, a glimmering magic seal visible across its door. The man drones on, repeating the story about the vanishing carpenter and the priest’s talk of dark gods.

 
Flag Post

Oloroar
“Well, perhaps we should wait until everyone’s here before we go off,” I suggest. "That might be better in the long run.

 
Flag Post

Harrion Karstark

“Okay, I think this is everyone.” I was so dark and short that they didn’t even see me come through… Well no matter. “So what are you having trouble with?”.

 
Flag Post

The little man wanders over to the door of the ‘church’ and starts pounding on it, calling for the priest. A short while later, the door opens. The priest is a young man, tall and thin, with pointed ears indicating elven ancestry. He wears a long white robe, with a purple-and-crimson lining… Matching his died hair.

He steps out into the sunlight, his bright green eyes almost sparkling. “When Johann said he was going to find help, I had no doubt he would fail… Yet here you are.”.

 
Flag Post

Volsung

I glace at the other two before answering.

“One hour ago I would not have pictured myself here either. But let’s get to the point. What has being going on and what can we do to help?”.

[I don’t mean to sound whine-y, but this is taking a tremendous amount of time. Twelve hours in and we still don’t know what we’re supposed to do, and on a tutorial quest no less. I think we should try to figure something out to speed this up and make it smoother, if possible. Specifically, I’d suggest we figure out when our activity periods overlap and try to make the most of that time. I’m afraid a concept as amazing as this could die off because of inactivity or actions taking too long.]

 
Flag Post

Oloroar
I grin strangely. “Why yes, we do seem to be here, don’t we?” I tell him, scratching my chin. “So, what KIND of evils lurk within this supposedly cursed mill? Because I have a special kind of bond with undead, and could probably get them to go away without battle, if I tried hard enough,” I tell him. [I assume due to the fact he will slowly begin turning into a lich soon he can or wil soon gain the ability to communicate with undead. Also how do we roll things exactly? Will you just point us to a d20 roller and say ‘do that’ or will you do it for us? Do you trust us enough to roll our own dice and tell the truth about the results? Also, I would like to ask, are we playing with ‘1 means hilarious failure’ on?]

 
Flag Post

[You can’t communicate with zombies, skeletons, wraithes, and most undead because:

-Bound Undead in control of an evil necromancer or raised by a necromancer have no will, or thoughts.
-Unbound Undead have no thoughts and will likely just try to consume the nearest living things, either that or bash them until they stop moving.]

Harrion Karstark

“We don’t need to coax it away with treats or throw it a stick, let’s just deal with the thing quickly, whatever it is. By Cyrics blood, can we get on with it? Old man.” I say with notable emphasis on the old. I don’t need the man to like me, I just need him to give me money at some point in his life and I’d rather that point be sooner rather than later.

 
Flag Post

[Ah, well, thanks for the clarification. At least I can hide from and detect them!]

 
Flag Post

The priest gives a dark glare.

“It would be better if you turned back now… I have sealed the door and locked the evil inside… I would ask you not to meddle, for fear of making things worse. I thank you for your concern, truly… But it’s best one does not question the war of good and evil.”

[Timing is going to be an issue, yeah. No real way around it, particularly with people with chaotic sleeping patterns.]

 
Flag Post

Oloroar
I smile again. “Well someone from your town thought it wasn’t enough. I think you’re a little paranoid about someone finding out what’s inside.” [BLUFF CHECK on seemingly knowing what he’s hiding]

 
Flag Post

[Wouldn’t that be Sense Motive?]

 
Flag Post

[no it’s a bluff because I’m lying about knowing what he’s hiding there, trying to get him to admit it to me]

 
Flag Post

17

The priest shoots you another glare.

“What has happened there is not a sight fit for man nor beast. The carpenter tried to make himself into something inhuman… And now his very soul is twisted into a machination of hell.”

3

He sighs and hands you a slightly glowing key.

“Go, but do not hold me to what happens to you.”

 
Flag Post

Harrion Karstark

“Thanks, We’ll be going in then.” I don’t sneer at the man but I believe I would be if I didn’t have a beak, I go straight past him and into the building.

 
Flag Post

[I did good on my first skill sheck! Wonderful! Not so good on the second..]
Oloroar
I shrug, take the key, and gesture the rest of the party out of the chapel and towards the mill. “No promises, bud.”

 
Flag Post

Approaching the mill, the taint of evil is strong. You can hear the rhythmic working of machines from outside… The glow of the key matches the glow of the priest’s seal.

 
Flag Post

Volsung

As we approach the mill, a sense of unease washes over me. We are now at the sealed door, with Oloroar holding the key. “I guess this is it then. The key seems to be linked to the seal. Should we go in?”.

[I don’t know what else to put. I don’t know if Oloroar wants to investigate the seal for traps, or he just wants to open it. I don’t know if it opens right away, I don’t know what’s inside. This is going to take much longer if we make small moves like this. I can only imagine combat; half a day to kill a skeleton. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful for this game, and I apologize for sounding so negative, but there has to be a way.]

 
Flag Post

[Well, that’s a forum-games thing entirely. And yeah, combat will be plenty slow without the DM setting some sort of turn timeout. Not ideal, but not really that bad. Though, in a live setting, this adventure would have taken about 30 minutes. MAYBE an hour.]

 
Flag Post

[We could decide a time we can all come on and do it live.]

 
Flag Post

[This is the ideal solution, but it might be a little tricky for me at this time. I’m perhaps +9 hours ahead of Captain. On weekdays (Sundays through Thursdays), I’m home no earlier than 4:30 PM and asleep by 11:30 PM. That’s about 7:30AM-2:30PM from Captain’s perspective, and I doubt this timing is suitable for him. Summer vacation is probably ideal. School ends on the 21st of June for me. Until then, I think we should make bigger moves. Personally, I’ll allow Volsung to be controlled by the DM if it involves something like moving up with the rest of the group and little-to-no risk is involved. For example, if I had the key right now and if there was no risk to breaking the seal on the mill’s door, I’d allow the DM to automatically do it for me. Now, we’re waiting for Nimbus, who took the key from the priest. Can I just snatch it and open the door…].

 
Flag Post

[My sleep schedule is basically whenever I fall asleep to when I wake up. But erm… Yes. Yes you can.]

 
Flag Post

Oloroar
I press the key to the lock, unsure if that is the way to break the sseal.