Darkspell: Shattered Legacies page 64

1794 posts

Flag Post

Jarad
I make spires of rock pop up in front of the bombs of shock force, making them detonate at a safe location. I then have a armor of earth magic-infused rock go over him, taking out my battle-axe I charge The Destroyer head on.

Vinyl
I back off and let Jarad charge The Destoryer, I use dark and fire magic to enhance his battle-axe and his armor. I get a hellfire ready.

Flag Post

I charge The Destroyer head on.

[Jarad now officially has the “too dumb to live” achievement.]

Christopher Thunderblade

Third-person limited omniscient point of view

Giant chainsaws buzzing, the Destroyer slices Jarad, armor and all, into a messy pile of gore and rocks, which are promptly vaporized by a huge discharge of electricity. The Destroyer roars, and begins to charge a red ball of death.

“I said survive as long as you can, didn’t I?” Christopher’s voice says with a hint of exasperation. “You’re on your own now. Again, good luck with that.”

In the real world, Jarad wakes up with a gasp and a full-body shudder.

Flag Post

Vinyl
Aww shit" I say before throwing two hellfires at The Destroyer, following it up with more fireballs infused with dark magic. I fire until the smoke is too much for me to see The Destroyer. “Please be dead.”

[]

Flag Post

Christopher Thunderblade

Third-person limited omniscient point of view

An ominous red glow begins to emanate from within the smokescreen. The glow suffuses every part of the smoke, the entity emitting it seemingly far, far larger than even the Destroyer’s form should be. The smoke parts slightly, revealing nothing but red inside, crackling with crimson lightning.

“Oh, shit,” Christopher can be heard muttering to himself. “Can’t let him use that.”

A giant halo of red energy suddenly cuts through the smoke, arcing with electricity. But before anything else can be seen, everything in this hallucinatory world begins to turn blurry and indistinct. Moments later, Vinyl finds himself back in the waking world.

Main personality, first-person

You do realize that even activating that mode has no effect whatsoever on the physical world? The Assassin asks.

Sorry. I… sort of panicked, I say in an apologetic tone. They were screwed anyways. In retrospect, maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to let them fight the Destroyer, even in simulation.

The Destroyer only lets out a wave of frustration and rage at being denied the chance to brutally kill someone. I push it away.

“Well, now you definitely know how bad the Numbers are,” I say, looking at Vinyl and Jarad. “Don’t attack any of them recklessly unless you want to get yourselves horribly killed. Now…” I look out the window. “Dammit. It’s getting late. I don’t suppose you have any food or a place to sleep? I still have some money with me, so I can pay if you want.”

Flag Post

[Question. How does Holywater (Light + Water) work offensively? The wiki says it’s just as powerful and difficult to control as Hellfire, but it can both hurt and heal. If nobody tells me, I’m gonna make shit up.]

Flag Post

Lucius

…That’s the last one. That one I definitely felt although no pain was acknowledged. Very good, Alden. Very good, Rose…

Fey runs over to me and is overjoyed by my recovery.

Fey: Thank goodness you’re alright. Don’t scare me like that, Lucius. Your blade is in the lake, from what I assume.

…Thanks. I’ll get it…

I run and jump into the lake, taking a few minutes, coming up every now and then for air. Eventually I get my blade back and climb out. I pick up my rifle and the remains of my camouflage and look at Rose and Fey.

…I’m taking a rest by the waterfall…I think I deserve it…

Flag Post

(This is just a suggestion for holy water but I think there should be two different types of holy water…one set up with more light than water magic infused that will heal someone when splashed. If damage is to be dealt, I would assume more water magic must be infused instead of light. Dark magic experts could be especially weak against this.)

Flag Post

[Blend can you please post something with the hunters at drakes and wolf-kins location please and also if you wont be online as much if it is ok with you is it possible that you let B_S take over with the hunters?]

[Also B_S about the thing with Wolf-kins bone and flesh crafting i agree that he can’t use it to fling living people around and that but his tribe also uses body crafting to heal injuries of others as they don’t have any light mages for healing in the tribe. but they do need to be close to the body to heal them.]

Flag Post

(Don’t worry, arken. I still got this covered. If I do need help, I will have B_S take over until I am back.)

Flag Post

Lucius

Dalet notices the scythe and hurls his two-handed axe parallel at it, spinning it in the opposite direction that the sctyhe is spinning. (Example: Scythe is spinning clockwise, Axe is spinning counter-clockwise.) He then takes out four small axes and places two in each hand.

Dalet: …There is a downside to using a scythe…that’s the predictable attacks which leave opportunity for the opponent to either evade or parry and counter. Try some of this!…

Dalet tosses his axes to the left and right of Drake, them missing entirely. It is a feint though as he brings his arms back to a cross position, causing the axes the missed to curve hard and zero in on Drake from behind.

Selwyn sees a body coming at him…it’s one of his former allies. He tosses a blade at it and activates the poison magic in it which causes the body to explode in a cloud of poison gas. He then makes a transparent skull appear, burning in blue flames.

(This skull is a marker of sorts. When he gathers eight of them, he can perform a major attack with Dalet.)

Flag Post

Drake
I use sene through my scythe to move it up slightly to avoid the axe and have the scythe slow down and begin moving in the same direction and begin changing the direction it spins to match the axe. when the scythe is in sync with the axe i use sene through the scythe to stop both the scythe and axe in the air then i have both move and spin towards Dalet. while i notice the smaller axes coming my way i decide to sene jump up and land behind the earth wall having the wall between me and dalet and watch the small axes. when this happens i use sene to see through my scythe as well as still being able to see normally. when the small axes turn and get close i use sene jump to get out of the way of the small axes which then hit the earth wall behind me.

Wolf-Kin
As the hunter on top of me uses one of his hands to destroy the body flying at him i push him over and pin him down to continue biting him. while i am doing that i use my bone crafting to move all the corpses together, when the bodys are close together i use my bone crafting to merge the bones of all of them into a wolf made of bone and use the leftover flesh to give it the appearance of a wolf but it’s inside is nothing but bone. the bone wolf then runs over to me to assist in pinning Selwyn down and bites and claws him.

[Hey Blend i don’t think this is going to take long enough for you to get 8 skulls on the field.]

Flag Post

Rosalyn Grayson

Rose

Um… Are there any more hunters remaining in the forest…? I ask. Even though the spirits are still pumping me full of magic, I feel very tired, mentally and emotionally… If not… Can I go…?

Flag Post

Vinyl
“Okay, so we I guess we just sleep at Jarad’s house, and I’ll get us some food from the market.” I check my wallet, “Ah got some money, I’m going to get some burgers.”
[]

Flag Post

(Watch me, arken…)

Lucius

Dalet’s axe stops midway and reverses direction at him.

Dalet: Nobody controls my axe but me. Let’s get it back in the right direction. At the same time, axes, come back to me!

The axe thrower holds his left hand out and brings it up and back to get the small axes out of the wall, up and then over to block off-track the scythe. His right hand is pointing a finger at the large axe to make it glow a light green and send it back.

Dalet: Try breaking through that, novice.

Selwyn is taking the bites and such while laughing. He stabs himself in the arm with a knife infused with poison to increase regeneration for a bit and then writhes the lower part of his body to spin along the ground, legs spread to perform a full circle double sweep that sends him onto his feet. He jumps to a tree and nods while smirking.

Selwyn: You just did half of my job for me, pup. Dalet! The wolf!

Dalet uses the right hand to channel wind magic into two of Selwyn’s knives. Selwyn tosses them at the necro-construct, sticking them into loose cracks.

Selwyn: Now, Dalet! Set them off!

Dalet: You got it! Squall Burst!

The knives push out the wind magic from inside the blades to push the various bones out in different directions. Seven more skulls appear as a result. since the rest of the bodies were used…their bones scattered

Selwyn: The bones had to get scattered in addition to the flesh being shredded. You took care of it by making the wolf out of our men. I got the skulls for my knives setting up for the bursts my brother made. Dalet! It’s time!

Selwyn laughs a bit and then sits on a branch. The regeneration effect wears off as he takes out two daggers from his boots. These two have gemstones on the ends of the handles. One dagger has an amethyst while the other has an emerald. Dalet pulls back his axes and lets the scythe strike him in his lung. The axes glow green and purple as he gets hit. Dalet and Selwyn speak with their last breath for this round as Selwyn slits his own abdomen. They hold a hand out toward each other, pooling their magic into a major spell to affect both of them as they die.

Dalet and Selwyn: Blood Brother’s Sacrifice – Siblings of the Iron Maiden!

The both fall to the ground, like any dead person would for a couple minutes as the two orbs of magic, one light green and one purple start swirling around each other while jetting to the sky. The axes and set of twin daggers all fly to the air, almost disappearing entirely…there is a brief silence.

Focus shifts to Lucius

I acknowledge that Rose is tired and nod.

…You can leave, if you like, Rose. Just remember that we have a gift for you and Lynn once things has finally calmed down. I’m not detecting any enemies. Thanks for the help…

(The fight isn’t over…as I said before, these two are going to be tough opponents. They will die though, rest assured. For now they’re dead but it’s only going to be temporary because of the spell combining energy and the weapons in the air.)

Flag Post

Rosalyn Grayson

Rose

I begin to say something, but Lynn cuts me off. You’d better not refuse that gift, she says to me with an accusatory tone. I mean, come on. Don’t be stupid.

It’s not stupid! It’s… courtesy… or something… I retort weakly. That’s what I’ve been taught anyways… CURSE U CHINESE PARENTING But I don’t remember getting any presents from anyone before, except ones made by Daniel in secret… My family only gave me nice clothes and stuff so I’d look presentable in their standards in front of other people. I… I want that gift. I guess that’s why Lynn wants it too…

Um, I guess I’ll… come pick it up tomorrow? I say to Lucius. In that case… Um… Goodbye…?

The spirits leave my astral form like hundreds of fireflies as I end the astral projection. The whole world flickers for an instant, and I’m back inside my own physical body. Well, not exactly, as Lynn is still in control of it…

Geez! Took you long enough! Lynn groans at me in annoyance. You know what I had to do when I couldn’t sleep because of what you’re doing at the other end? I had to read a book! Ugh… She shudders. I can see the book on our lap, a book about healing magic and how to treat various abnormal conditions with it, the only book I brought with me when my family kicked me out.

But… But I love reading! I stammer.

We’ll leave the reading to you next time, she says, while rubbing our eyes and yawning. I’ve got no patience for it. Now let’s go to sleep; been one hell of a long day…

Flag Post

[With school/work starting I won’t be active at all in this game, I might poke my head in every once in a while though. Ros, BC, or BS, It’s up to you, you can kill me in whatever way you want or you could put me in a coma or whatever and when I can become active (1 month prox.) I could wake up and let that be a chapter, the awakening or whatever. Im fine with either desicion.]

Flag Post

Alden Zephyrim

Just as quickly as we save Lucius, Rose’s astral form flitters away into nonexistence, fluently shattering into innumerable glowing orbs, lighting up the tranquil mist and building a new atmosphere of calm. I continue lying down, calming myself and thinking…thinking of how things have changed.

Another chapter has flipped its pages; another story has spoken merely a short portion of its tale. Just another chapter and just another story. Just another like the rest of them…

I’ve saved yet another life, but why couldn’t I save any of you? How did I fail so miserably, so pathetically that even my subconscious refuses to acknowledge my mistake? You can see it, can’t you, Joseph? Aren’t you laughing at me above as you gaze through my shallow predicament? My selfish quest to fill this gaping hole in my heart, my foolish dream of atoning for what can’t be repaired. Is this what I should be doing with my life?

I shrug off my doubts quickly, noting that they’re just as illfounded as the last time they surfaced. I have things to do, and I can’t let simple guilt deter me. They would have wanted me to live out my life without letting its potential wither. The people here need help; I can sense it. Just as constantly as my chronic worries resurface, I’ll forcefully shove them aside. My job is to assist those at need, and whether or not I have a minute hint of selfishness behind that, I must always lend my hand out when its of use.

Staggering, I pull myself upwards and walk ordinarily towards the waterfall where Lucius rests.

I sit down near him, leaning upon a small hill, and ask, “So…is our job here done? Are all the hunters cleared out from the forest?”

Flag Post

Lucius

…I’d say we are pretty much done…

I notice a purple orb and a light green orb swirling together to make a white orb.

…Drake and Wolf-Kin must be finishing up what’s left. Leave them be for that. I’m confident they will make it out alive. You did great for your first time as a field medic. Try pulling a bullet or some other foreign object out of your own body with nothing to numb the pain. Thankfully, Rose was present to provide the magic painkiller…

I look at my gun and blade and the tattered camouflage.

…Much like Lynn and Rose, you, Drake and Wolf-Kin will each be getting a gift from the forest as a way of saying thanks…Kriegmare and I were in a straight sniper battle for about two hours before I fell in the lake from the cliff directly above us…I’m not sure how long I was out cold but he gave me some sort of purified and blessed adrenaline…something he made. It restored my strength and gave me the will to fight again as he wanted. We went hand-to-hand for about fifteen, maybe twenty minutes until it was over. He wanted to kill me with his bare hands and he wanted us to fight like men. We never used magic in that battle…

Flag Post

Christopher Thunderblade

“If we make this out alive, I’ll pay you back,” I say to Vinyl as I take a bite out of one of the burgers he just bought. “See, one more reason for you to try not to die.”

I think the words came out a little more bitter than I intended. Oh well.

“I haven’t slept in a few days, so I’m gonna take a little nap after this. Then I’ll pay Optic a visit again, see if he’s free; you can come along if you want. Yeah, I’m trained to function with little or no sleep, but doing it for extended periods of time is obviously bad for my health. All it takes is a little Psychic magic, so I can teach it to you two if you want…” I look at Jarad. “In fact, Jarad, do you have a second element? If not, I can even teach you Psychic magic. It’ll hurt like hell, and knock you out cold for a few hours, but after you wake up you’ll be able to use most of the basic Psychic spells as though you’ve been using them for a few years. But then again, I’ve only tried it on one person,” that being Rosalyn, “so it might differ depending on your aptitude and such. How about it?”

[Christopher won’t actually be going to Optic’s though. You’ll see.]

Flag Post

Jarad
“Sure, I get another type of magic would be useful.” I say after finishing my third burger.

Vinyl
“Ohh, do me too! I already got a headache, another one won’t hurt.”

[]

Flag Post

Christopher Thunderblade

“Sorry Vinyl, but it seems like most people can only learn to use about two elements really well, unless they’re one of the Divine or Void people. That’s the only thing preventing the Numbers from mastering every element there is. If I try to teach you Psychic, it might make you forget some of the Fire magic you learned, and I don’t want to risk that. I can still teach you how to go without sleep though; just remember it’s bad for your health if you overdo it.”

I begin to gather up a packet of information, concerning how to use a little Psychic magic to regulate one’s body so that the person can stay perfectly awake and alert even after days without sleep. Then I shove that packet into Vinyl’s mind, making him grimace in pain again. It shouldn’t be as bad this time, as his mind should’ve become more used to receiving an abnormally large amount of time in a short instant. After that, I begin to create another packet, this one absolutely massive compared to any other I’ve sent before; it contains a few years’ worth of knowledge on Psychic magic.

“Now, I repeat that this will hurt like hell, and knock you out cold for a few hours during which your brain will attempt to digest several years’ worth of information. You have been warned.” I press my mind into Jarad’s as though in a psychic attack, and shove the enormous amount of information into him. “Watch him while he’s out,” I say to Vinyl.

Flag Post

Vinyl
“Hey hold up now, I guess if we’ll be working together on what will be my… Uh, I think 5th… Or was it 6th mission that I will probably not come back alive from, I guess you should know something.” I produce a flame and then turn it black, the flame quickly disperses, “I am not a ordinary dark magic user, as I can use Necrolia magic, I have the ability to bring people back alive.”

[]

Flag Post

Christopher Thunderblade

“Necrolia, huh…” I remember Number 4’s zombies, and suppress a shudder of disgust. “Won’t be of much help. If you want to revive an enemy and control him, you’ll probably get a mindless puppet that isn’t even near half as strong. That, or an insane monster that destroys everything in sight. And think of the poor soul involved… I wouldn’t do it unless we really have to.” The fact that I’m willing to consider it at all makes me disgusted with myself. “You can tell me more about those four or five mission that you probably couldn’t but apparently did return alive from, but later. I really should take a nap. I can sleep on the floor if I need to, but a bed would be nice.”

Flag Post

Vinyl
“I dunno about you, but I usually sleep in the closet and use some of his clothes as a bed, think of something.”

[]

Flag Post

Christopher Thunderblade

“Oh well, whatever.” I begin to sit in a meditative stance, and close my eyes. “Good night.”