Darkspell: Shattered Legacies page 71

1794 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by therealsirmark4:

[I’m sorry, but did anyone does go, "Rosate, you better have a great-ass explanation for your absence. Also, I think we should restart the whole thing, just an idea]

I’m considering that as an option, but B_S would hate that… As for a great-ass explanation… not really. Addiction to MC and a lot of real-life responsibility tie into it, but I could’ve fit this in. If you or anybody else is angry at me, then I accept and understand it.

Flag Post

[I would actually prefer that we restart the game, for a couple of reasons.]

[1. I hate to say this, but if we keep going like this, there’s a significant chance that the game will just die off. I already said last page that I’d rather see my plans not carried out at all than half carried out and ruined midway. Hence, it’s much more preferable for me to just scrap everything and start over. I already have some ideas for a new character anyways.]

[2. Sorry if this sounds selfish, but I’ve already ported my characters and basically most of my plans over to my own game, Incarnatum Mȳthologiae. I’d prefer to do something different in this game, rather than doing basically the same thing as I’ll do in my own game.]

[Overall, I think restarting the game is a better option than just continuing on.]

Flag Post

[Then the next thing to wonder is what the time period will be. Will it be a continuance of this very DSpell or will it be set at a different time? Since I have Lucius for this one and Basil and Alessia years later, I feel like the time period is very important so that I know which character(s) to use. I like using Lucius but I liked using Basil and Alessia as well.]

Flag Post

[If we’re going to restart the game, it should be the same time period.]

Flag Post

[Then there should be a new title, no? A brief synopsis should be provided for each character in this DSpell to be carried over to the next one started. It gives the players a sense of where they left off.]

Flag Post
Originally posted by WillItBlend:

[Then there should be a new title, no? A brief synopsis should be provided for each character in this DSpell to be carried over to the next one started. It gives the players a sense of where they left off.]

[Wouldn’t a restart just be this exact same game and time period, except with all the characters and events retconned?]

Flag Post

Wouldn’t a restart just be this exact same game and time period, except with all the characters and events retconned?

[Yes, that’s what I meant. My characters Rosalyn and Christopher will no longer exist, and I’ll be playing some new characters.]

[But now that I think about it, I wouldn’t mind too much if we don’t restart. Even if my plans get botched up halfway, I might be able to think up some sort of patch that resolves their conflicts in a way that transitions well into future games.]

Flag Post

(So wait, if Rosalyn and Christopher don’t exist, does that mean I have to make an all new character?)

(If they do stay, will there still be plans for Lucius and Christopher to meet up as you mentioned before, B_S?)

Flag Post

[It doesn’t matter to me if you make the same character or not. But if we restart, the story that happened to your character so far will be invalidated. If we don’t restart, we just proceed as before, so no need to discuss about that.]

Flag Post

[I’m not sure about time period, but I suppose we will restart. I’m in favor too.]

[With this past thing, it builds off the backstory of the original DS series… if we were to go back to the original TP after DS1, then there would be a lot of underpower, but it might help a basis for future games, or to come back to this time period. Or, we could go into the future, and DS1 is pretty much that backstory.]

[It’s a tough decision. Feel free to post or PM your concerns and ideas to me.]

Flag Post

New DSpell title or same one?

Flag Post
Originally posted by WillItBlend:

New DSpell title or same one?

It depends

Flag Post

If there is a restart, I could once again try participating.
I hope this time I’ll get accepted soon enough to actually participate from the start – those times when you ran off without me, I never managed to catch up.

Flag Post

[If the new game is in the future and uses DS1 as a backstory… Well, I know little about DS1, so it’s more advantageous to me if the new game is still in the past.]

[If we’re doing votes, I vote for restarting the game, though I won’t mind if we don’t restart. As for the time period, I vote for the same time period as this current game.]

Flag Post

[I would prefer a restart, but ideally not just of this game but DS1 as well because I have no Idea what happened there and apparently both the future and the past builds off of the backstory.]

Flag Post
Originally posted by arkenarken:

[I would prefer a restart, but ideally not just of this game but DS1 as well because I have no Idea what happened there and apparently both the future and the past builds off of the backstory.]

[Not an option. DS1 is solid fact in the series, end of discussion. It was my greates triumph, and I refuse to have the foundation of the series retconned.]

Flag Post

[Seems like mostly everyone supports a restart. So when will it take place?]

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

[If the new game is in the future and uses DS1 as a backstory… Well, I know little about DS1, so it’s more advantageous to me if the new game is still in the past.]

[If we’re doing votes, I vote for restarting the game, though I won’t mind if we don’t restart. As for the time period, I vote for the same time period as this current game.]

[Well, I know a bit about DS1 as hopefully my memory still retains the events.]

[Ugh DS1 you don’t even want to know what happened there]

[Suffice to say, I was a moron.]

Originally posted by Rosate:

[Not an option. DS1 is solid fact in the series, end of discussion. It was my greates triumph, and I refuse to have the foundation of the series retconned.]

[Wow, you must be short on triumphs, for it to be your greates triumph.]

[But to be honest, DS1 wasn’t very good. And I’m sure that however long ago it was we did stupid things, and generally the old timeline is messed up. Hell, the memories of the old players might be a little hazy. So if we can get a bunch of people in a room to discuss Darkspell history and possibly retcon it a bit, so the new game has a vibrant, interesting background that new and old players alike can build on, rather than the Godmodding fest that the original Darkspell was. I’d imagine you’d need at least the Co-Hosts there, old players would be good and new players could probably come along just for the history lesson.]

[You do need to plan this, Rosate. You have a horrible tendency to leave your games to crash and burn. Your greates triumph was a game that I personally consider a horrible failure despite its number of posts, though I contributed to that horrible mess. Your hosting can sometimes leave something to be desired, even avoiding the issue of your crack Minecraft addiction. You left a co-host to run a game for quite a long time, having left no material or plot for him to work with, and BC had also been in that situation in the original. Though I did end up taking over from him, after nearly no time. If you at least leave a plan of sorts (for important events and NPCs), perhaps your Co-Hosts can cover your absences which always, always slow down the game. I mean your weekend absences, as your massive hiatuses are absolutely absurd. I understand that real-life stuff can be obstructing. But two, actually three now, games have crashed due to that and a lack of any sort of plot other than spontaneous asspulls.]

[I understand that this is awfully harsh and also a rant. But, to be honest, your track record is going to be as bad as Dev’s if you continue on this way. I’m not saying that Darkspell has to shy away from GENUIS plot twists you think up halfway through, or that it can’t be an actual world. What I’m saying is, you are constantly absent, and your Co-Hosts can do little more than wait for your return, which quite frequently comes several weeks later, when most people have lost interest and any sort of clue about what they can do. Go off and plan this, maybe ask some players about it, and make this your greates triumph, but only as a placeholder for future greates triumphs.]

[And yes, this is exactly the same advice people gave Dev, and he didn’t follow it. You totally can do this, Rosate, if you manage not to get distracted by Minecraft, which quite frankly is awful.]

Flag Post
Originally posted by Knoob85687:
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

[Well, I know a bit about DS1 as hopefully my memory still retains the events.]

[Ugh DS1 you don’t even want to know what happened there]

[Suffice to say, I was a moron.]

[Wow, you must be short on triumphs, for it to be your greates triumph.]

[But to be honest, DS1 wasn’t very good. And I’m sure that however long ago it was we did stupid things, and generally the old timeline is messed up. Hell, the memories of the old players might be a little hazy. So if we can get a bunch of people in a room to discuss Darkspell history and possibly retcon it a bit, so the new game has a vibrant, interesting background that new and old players alike can build on, rather than the Godmodding fest that the original Darkspell was. I’d imagine you’d need at least the Co-Hosts there, old players would be good and new players could probably come along just for the history lesson.]

[You do need to plan this, Rosate. You have a horrible tendency to leave your games to crash and burn. Your greates triumph was a game that I personally consider a horrible failure despite its number of posts, though I contributed to that horrible mess. Your hosting can sometimes leave something to be desired, even avoiding the issue of your crack Minecraft addiction. You left a co-host to run a game for quite a long time, having left no material or plot for him to work with, and BC had also been in that situation in the original. Though I did end up taking over from him, after nearly no time. If you at least leave a plan of sorts (for important events and NPCs), perhaps your Co-Hosts can cover your absences which always, always slow down the game. I mean your weekend absences, as your massive hiatuses are absolutely absurd. I understand that real-life stuff can be obstructing. But two, actually three now, games have crashed due to that and a lack of any sort of plot other than spontaneous asspulls.]

[I understand that this is awfully harsh and also a rant. But, to be honest, your track record is going to be as bad as Dev’s if you continue on this way. I’m not saying that Darkspell has to shy away from GENUIS plot twists you think up halfway through, or that it can’t be an actual world. What I’m saying is, you are constantly absent, and your Co-Hosts can do little more than wait for your return, which quite frequently comes several weeks later, when most people have lost interest and any sort of clue about what they can do. Go off and plan this, maybe ask some players about it, and make this your greates triumph, but only as a placeholder for future greates triumphs.]

[And yes, this is exactly the same advice people gave Dev, and he didn’t follow it. You totally can do this, Rosate, if you manage not to get distracted by Minecraft, which quite frankly is awful.]

I know I have some problems. But never compare me to Dev, you mo-

Not even going to go there, just don’t compare me to Dev. Ever.

Flag Post

Anyways, as a bit of a follow-up on how my mind works regarding to plot and how I like to plan them. In general, I Don’t. Yeah, that’s right. Let me say it again, I don’t like to plan plots. Yeah. But that’s because I want my games to be based on how you, the player want to develop your characters and how YOU would develop a plot if you were be the GM for this game.

Yeah, YOU, the PLAYER, are in charge of the plot!

Sure, I need to intervene and make sure it’s not OP or anything, but not only is it fun for the player to create their own plots, it’s fun for me to pull them together. And that’s what Darkspell is about. Not winning. If you guys didn’t notice, there’s no rankboards or anything, no actual compensation for winning things. We’re here to enjoy collaboratively writing the plot for a game by playing it, and having some fun.

And, I feel that the player has more fun if their plot is independent to the rest, slowly converging as everything develops. And, of course, I’m entitled to have some fun too, and that comes from slowly manipulating the plots to eventually converge on a single point.

Of course, plot and mechanics are completely different.

I should, and plan to, clearly define mechanics, and leave little in doubt, and with BC, B_S, and some of the other great RP minds, this should be possible.

If you guys are still a bit confused about my plot system, consider this chart:

A=Plot 1 G=Plot 2 %=Plot 3 !=Plot 4 .= Just a Space (Clearly different symbols)

……………..End
……………..AG%!
…………….AG.%!
…………..AG….%!
………….AG…….%!
………….A.G……%.!
………..A.G…….%…!
………..A…..G…%…!
…………..A….G.%.!
………….A..G….%…!
………A…….G…..%….!
…….A……..G……..%……..!
…..A………G………%………!
…….S.T.A.R.T

Of course, it’s a lot more complex with that, but that’s a rough idea. There may be more or less plotlines, and they’ll probably converge on personal basises more often and more variedly. But you can see that plotlines start independent and begin to correlate. Now, what A G % and ! consist of is up to the players: I don’t want to limit their possibilities severely unless it will cause a problem with bringing them together or breaks the mechanics.

So, that’s why I don’t plan plots. When we figure out the timeframe, you guys can feel free to plan and collaborate on some plots. The only reason you guys should rely on me early game is to make sure nothing goes wrong. As everybody gets settled in and the plots come together, then I’ll need to intervene with the plot more often, but it’s an equal spread, and it all starts with you guys.

EDIT:

Set up a darkspell chat at: http://us7.chatzy.com/74696125742163
Password is darkspell (case sensitive)

Flag Post

Three things.

1. When are we restarting?

2. Please answer the question I sent you via PM.

3. Don’t we already have a Darkspell chat on the first page?

Flag Post

1. When we get everything together.

2. Mkay

3. Probably died and got deleted.

Flag Post

[:/]

[You do realise you’re not quite there, yet, right?]

So, that’s why I don’t plan plots. When we figure out the timeframe, you guys can feel free to plan and collaborate on some plots. The only reason you guys should rely on me early game is to make sure nothing goes wrong. As everybody gets settled in and the plots come together, then I’ll need to intervene with the plot more often, but it’s an equal spread, and it all starts with you guys.

[I don’t mean RAILROAD the game. I mean decide what the Hell your major organisations are doing. Their short, mid and long term goals, how they’re going to accomplish them, etc. Sivis Sasis randomly popping in to kill people is entertaining the first time or so, but it eventually becomes dry.]

[Can’t use Chatzy.]

Flag Post

[I don’t mean RAILROAD the game. I mean decide what the Hell your major organisations are doing. Their short, mid and long term goals, how they’re going to accomplish them, etc. Sivis Sasis randomly popping in to kill people is entertaining the first time or so, but it eventually becomes dry.]

[Can’t use Chatzy.]

What I’ll probably do is introduce a few factions, and my own plotline will only focus on one or 2. The rest will be mainly passive, and people can include them in their plotlines or get new factions approved.

Hell, I might even give some people control of certain factions, and they can plan their goals and such to fit some plotlines, if they’re responsible to follow the factions temperament and general idea. I’ll just have these reported to me through like google docs or something, and then that can be freely updated by the FM’s.

Flag Post

[Can’t use Chatzy.]

What I’ll probably do is introduce a few factions, and my own plotline will only focus on one or 2. The rest will be mainly passive, and people can include them in their plotlines or get new factions approved.

Hell, I might even give some people control of certain factions, and they can plan their goals and such to fit some plotlines, if they’re responsible to follow the factions temperament and general idea. I’ll just have these reported to me through like google docs or something, and then that can be freely updated by the FM’s.

[And what about making a group to discuss Darkspell history and general background, or at least laying it out in a document?]