Blind Man's Lynch (Aborted) - I Suck At Balancing Games page 2 (locked)

139 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jaskaran2000:

Zip is the roleblocker.

Why would you be so quick to reveal that without seemingly any thought or explaination?

/conspiracy

You knew that I was a townie, so by demonstrating you “know” my role, you are trying to give the impression that, you too, is a simple townie! You do not need to worry that you shall cause suspicion that if I were a Mafia, I would have known you were lying, but I am surely not a member of the Mafia, so for all I know I could be the Roleblocker. But you calculated that didn’t you? What if I was the Gift!Enabler? You would have manipulated me and helped your team at the same time. You are a clever one, Jask, you really are.

/conspiracylol

I actually have no info, so I’m not gonna vote at the moment lol.

Flag Post

inb4 Zip and Jask are scums.

Confirmed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CowFriend:

inb4 Zip and Jask are scums.

Confirmed.

Mhmm mhmm. Hintwink.

Flag Post

Confirm

Flag Post

Questions for RaceBandit:

Is it possible for a townie to get a mafia’s role?
Does the mafia know its members?

Borrowing from AN’s habit, I’m going to present a survey here that everyone should answer. This is both an attempt to get the game running and an attempt for me to see personally if this is more favorable than the Joke Phase. Please answer these as comprehensively as possible. I would like every player to take this survey.

1. Without any knowledge of scumtells or the roles of anybody (including yourself), what would you choose at night for your two players and item? Why? You are free to answer with less than two players and one item, but explain your reason for doing so if you do.
2. How do you usually play as a townie?
3. How do you usually play as a mafia?
4. RNG a random player off of random.org and analyze that player’s meta. How do they usually play as a townie? How do they usually play as a mafia? What are some specific scumtells common to them to pay attention to? etc.
5. Do you think that it’s more important for town to scumhunt for the mafia or for the SK?
6. If you have a Power Role, are you willing to rush Day to use it?
7. Is it better to lynch or leave alone VI’s with no scumtells?
8. What do you think about Jask’s claim about Z being a roleblocker?
9. Would you be willing to start a bandwagon on a mafia comrade (aka bussing) if it seemed beneficial?
10. How dedicated will you be to this mafia? Are you willing to put in time for activity and to think/interpret posts?
11. What is your position on FoSing?

In order to not influence any answers, I will not answer these questions until later.

Flag Post

1. A townie’s role PM will not contain information about a Mafioso or Serial Killer, as scum didn’t appear until after the lobotomy and the SK didn’t attend the party.
2. Yes, the Mafia knows who each other are, as the DG didn’t lobotomize (his/her) own men.

Flag Post

This is the first and last time I will do these surveys. Personally find them pretty useless except to up the thread’s post count.

Without any knowledge of scumtells or the roles of anybody (including yourself), what would you choose at night for your two players and item? Why? You are free to answer with less than two players and one item, but explain your reason for doing so if you do.

NK Adeeb and helltank because big threats.

How do you usually play as a townie?

Retard mode or slightly serious mode.

How do you usually play as a mafia?

RNG a random player off of random.org and analyze that player’s meta. How do they usually play as a townie? How do they usually play as a mafia? What are some specific scumtells common to them to pay attention to? etc.

Oh, man, got an easy one.

Woon. Lurking like a freaking boss.

Do you think that it’s more important for town to scumhunt for the mafia or for the SK?

Mafia has bigger priority since they can usually win without being the last person alive.

If you have a Power Role, are you willing to rush Day to use it?

No, because other players don’t cooperate.

Is it better to lynch or leave alone VI’s with no scumtells?

How can they be VI with no scumtells?

What do you think about Jask’s claim about Z being a roleblocker?

THEY’RE BOTH SCUMS OBVIOUSLY

Would you be willing to start a bandwagon on a mafia comrade (aka bussing) if it seemed beneficial?

No. Friends4Ever

How dedicated will you be to this mafia? Are you willing to put in time for activity and to think/interpret posts?

If other people aren’t inactive like in Blackout, yes.

What is your position on FoSing?

It’s dumb.

Flag Post

This is the first and last time I will do these surveys. Personally find them pretty useless except to up the thread’s post count.

Perhaps that’s because of your attitude towards them. RQS is useless if the town doesn’t cooperate, and answers like yours certainly fits into that. By deliberately rebelling, you’re indirectly damaging town. From my point of view, I think that the answers will be useful in keeping activity alive and in catching scumtells later in the game. There’s a reason why I opted to not include off-topic answers like some other sites do. I want this to have a sensible purpose.

NK Adeeb and helltank because big threats.

You can’t choose your action because you don’t know your role. Or are you saying that you’re scum?

No, because other players don’t cooperate.

Clarify this.

Idiocy can occur in all factions; there are differences between VI’s and SI’s.

It seems I’ll answer my own questions anyways in order to show the amount of comprehensiveness I mean.

Without any knowledge of scumtells or the roles of anybody (including yourself), what would you choose at night for your two players and item? Why? You are free to answer with less than two players and one item, but explain your reason for doing so if you do.

I would choose SilverEvil, myself, and the NK. By choosing Silver, an unlikely player to be targeted, I won’t be killed if the NK lands on him and I can bus. And if a NK lands on me, I would be able to survive. The mafia and the SK already have a NK, meaning that the gift would be meaningless if it lands on them. And if an extra NK pops up in the future, it gives insight for me into my role.

I scumhunt through interrogating people with questions and accusations. Once I find a target, I’ll pressure them until I’m convinced of their evidence. In order to tell whether something is a scumtell or not, I place myself in the target’s shoes and consider if his answer would be reasonable in his position and if a scum would actually do what he did. I try to never underestimate my opponent unless meta tells me to, and even then, I stay cautious. I’ve also been told that I suck at playing town.

I try to adhere as close to I would as a townie, except with the main goal of looking innocent. Either I will attempt to lead the town or attempt to stay as an average townie in terms of activity. In simpler terms, I would play a scum role almost exactly as I would a town.

RNG a random player off of random.org and analyze that player’s meta. How do they usually play as a townie? How do they usually play as a mafia? What are some specific scumtells common to them to pay attention to? etc.

SilverEvil. Unfortunately, I haven’t known him long enough to have an accurate view of his meta. I also don’t know the differences between his town play and mafia play, as I don’t think that I’ve seen a complete game with him in it. If I remember correctly, he tends to be a bit overzealous and paranoid with his suspicions.

Do you think that it’s more important for town to scumhunt for the mafia or for the SK?

I think that it’s important to scumhunt for both, as both are threats to the town, even if mafia is moreso. If I suspected somebody as a SK, but not as a maf, I wouldn’t hesitate to interrogate him.

No, Day is important to the town. Even as a mafia, I would never attempt to rush Day in-thread, as that would bring suspicion towards myself.

I’d say that it’s better to leave them alone, as they can be easily lynched later on if true scumtells appear and town needs all the numbers that it can get.

I feel that Jask is telling the truth and is probably town until future tells appear. If he was scum, claiming would make him suspicious in future days, and I doubt that Jask would pull such a foolish and easily breakable gambit. From what I have seen, I don’t think he’s the type to pull a convoluted gambit in the first place.

Would you be willing to start a bandwagon on a mafia comrade (aka bussing) if it seemed beneficial?

I’m a little hesitant when it comes to bussing my comrades, but the situation has come up in the past, and when it has, I followed my rational thoughts rather than my sympathy. During the time period after Vanilla Mafia where ocelot told me I had scum tells involving buddying with fellow scum, I switched my play style up as a counter. Bussing isn’t one of my favorite strategies, but it isn’t something that I would avoid if it benefits me.

How dedicated will you be to this mafia? Are you willing to put in time for activity and to think/interpret posts?

I’m going to be as active as I am in most mafias. Exclude the ones where I played like an idiot on purpose or the ones during the time period where I stopped having fun playing mafia.

I use it to pressure, and solely to pressure. I also use it if I want to call the attention of the town to a certain person. It has been mentioned that anybody that actually reads the whole post wouldn’t need a bolded attention call, but sadly, it has been proven that most people suddenly become idiots when they play townies.

Flag Post

Perhaps that’s because of your attitude towards them. RQS is useless if the town doesn’t cooperate, and answers like yours certainly fits into that.

Almost all your questions are focused on interrogating one’s playstyle and their thought process. I have the freedom to not post them in detail, but I also don’t want to lie, so I just try to answer those vaguely. If I just post all my thoughts down, I would be pretty predictable in future mafias, and I don’t want them.

You can’t choose your action because you don’t know your role. Or are you saying that you’re scum?

Misread it. Thought you’re asking who I would NK if I was a scum.

After reading it, I still don’t know what you’re asking.

Clarify this.

If I’m a town, I would want as much discussion as possible.
If I’m a scum, I obviously want to end the day quickly. But it’s pretty much impossible nowadays with people going with “don’t rush day it’s bad”.

Idiocy can occur in all factions; there are differences between VI’s and SI’s.

Okay, another answer.

I usually leave them alone (almost every mafia game I’ve played with a “VI” flips town) and use them as meatshield later in the game.

And if a NK lands on me, I would be able to survive.

Why? And I’m genuinely confused by what this question is trying to ask.

As for your town and scum playstyle, you’re just repeating the norms. One wants to scumhunt and pressure the suspected one. One wants to act like a town as mafia. We all know that.

Most answers to your questions (or any mafia survey in general) could easily be answered with common sense, so I don’t see point in going into deep detail about it, since it’s probably just going to be repeated in different ways. Hell, the only thing that matters in your whole survey is probably #8.

Flag Post

Almost all your questions are focused on interrogating one’s playstyle and their thought process.

And I have my reasons for that.

Misread it. Thought you’re asking who I would NK if I was a scum.

At night, we don’t know our roles. Therefore, we have to do some guess work, giving Race two players and one item. The first player is our primary target. The second player is for the bus driver. And the item is for the Gifter. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t have given this a thought if you were town. After all, all the roles have abilities. Did the question of how night would work not reach you?

Why? And I’m genuinely confused by what this question is trying to ask.

Because the NK would land on Silver if the bus driver ability is in effect.

As for your town and scum playstyle, you’re just repeating the norms. One wants to scumhunt and pressure the suspected one. One wants to act like a town as mafia. We all know that.

I know that they’re the norms. But there are subtle differences that I want to hear. For example, there are new people whose actions currently display the belief that scum radiates scumtells and follow suit when playing town.

Most answers to your questions (or any mafia survey in general) could easily be answered with common sense, so I don’t see point in going into deep detail about it, since it’s probably just going to be repeated in different ways. Hell, the only thing that matters in your whole survey is probably #8.

Believe me when I say that I have my reasons for every question. And if you think that the answers won’t prove useful, you can’t deny that this has formed some sort of discussion.

Flag Post

And I have my reasons for that.

So you can use the answers later on to lynch someone off? If you want to know about someone’s playstyle, read some previous mafia games.

And as for my answer to #1.

Adeeb and Woon and NK. Adeeb always targeted, so it will kill Woon, the lurker. Reason being for the lulz.

Flag Post

About your apparent hate for RQS, explain to me how RVS or the Joke Phase is any better. With the RQS, with have an opportunity to actually create serious discussion from the start, thus eliminating the problem of spam that has been plaguing all of the recent mafias and giving the town more time during Day.

I’m not sure why you wouldn’t have given this a thought if you were town. After all, all the roles have abilities. Did the question of how night would work not reach you?

Please explain this.

If you want to know about someone’s playstyle, read some previous mafia games.

I don’t think that I have to read something that I’ve already read, nor do I need to be told something that I would already do of my own will.

Flag Post

About your apparent hate for RQS, explain to me how RVS or the Joke Phase is any better.

I’m not hating, and I never said the joke phase is any better. Serious =/= progressive, I will go with whichever can break the game from stalemating. Joke phase can also do that, but it depends on how players handle it in that particular game. And so far, doing the survey still isn’t impressing me after a few games.

I’m not sure why you wouldn’t have given this a thought if you were town. After all, all the roles have abilities. Did the question of how night would work not reach you?

Because I had no idea what you meant by “choosing two players” and “item”. I simply interpreted it as “choose two players and what are you gonna do”. I chose NK simply because it’s the most effective action and not dull like investigating.

Also, why would I have a higher chance of being a scum for posting the answer I posted. It makes no sense whatsoever. You asked in an abstruse manner, expect an abstruse response. It has nothing to do with “how night works”, it’s about the roles that are present. The bus driver and the Gifter are new mechanics to me, so I didn’t understand what’s being asked.

Apparently, not understanding terminologies and answering the question wrong automatically makes you a suspect.

I don’t think that I have to read something that I’ve already read, nor do I need to be told something that I would already do of my own will.

Pls don’t dodge question, explain pls why you’re asking those questions aside from the fact that “it brings discussion”, which could also be done with joke phase.

Flag Post

Serious =/= progressive, I will go with whichever can break the game from stalemating.

Generally, the phase during Day where scumhunting actually takes place is serious. And in my opinion, and judging by your analyses of my actions, that phase has already started. Compare this to the joke phase, which currently takes two pages of nonsensical spam before the typical “This person did an extremely stupid and exaggerated slip-up. He must be scum.” And afterwards, what a surprise, the target was a town VI. There are cases where this doesn’t happen, but half of the time, the Joke Phase falls victim to the obsession of people to lynch VI’s. And with prevailing votes on the target, rarely does the victim change, even with other scumhunting going on in the background.

Because I had no idea what you meant by “choosing two players” and “item”.

I took the terms directly from RaceBandit’s post. If you were legitimately confused, I’m not the one to blame here.

Also, why would I have a higher chance of being a scum for posting the answer I posted.

Scum isn’t involved in the confusing nature of the game. They get standard PM’s, with their own roles and abilities. As proven by how you didn’t read the role list and RaceBandit’s posts, a scum might not know the system involving the town.

Apparently, not understanding terminologies and answering the question wrong automatically makes you a suspect.

I don’t see why I would want to ignore a detail, no matter how small it is. If there’s something that I want an answer to, I ask it.

Pls don’t dodge question, explain pls why you’re asking those questions aside from the fact that “it brings discussion”, which could also be done with joke phase.

Answering this would destroy the whole point of doing it.

Flag Post

EBWOP: Adding onto the first paragraph, which I somehow didn’t finish:

I see in RQS a possibility to avoid the pitfalls of the Joke Phase, and I don’t think that we’ve tried enough of the possibilities to instantly dismiss it as useless.

Flag Post

They get standard PM’s, with their own roles and abilities. As proven by how you didn’t read the role list and RaceBandit’s posts, a scum might not know the system involving the town.

Okay, thought you were spraying nonsense for half of a page. Thought Race was a player until you mentioned it.

I tend to have a bad habit of skipping the first page and not reading the rules (thought Race just copied Bluji’s rules).

Flag Post

Also, how did Jask know Zip is the roleblocker? It isn’t even night yet.

Flag Post

Vote CowFriend on the chance that this is serious.

Flag Post

I’m uber serious. Please explain.

Flag Post

Ooh, okay.

I screwed up. Need to learn to read the rules next time.

Flag Post

Okay, firstly, I would like to say that I immediately posted what I got from the host, about the role because I know I will eventually turn evil and would blackmail people for the information I have on Zip, even if I am town, so to prevent that I posted zip’s role, he may be the jack-in-the-box, or he is the role-blocker. Now then, moving on:

Zip

Why would you be so quick to reveal that without seemingly any thought or explanation?

Read above.

Some idiotic conspiracy

Whatever, I won’t even post a normal comment to this.

Devourer359’s survey

Note: not answering most of the survey currently because it hurts my mind.

I believe it’s more important to scumhunt for the Serial Killer, as RaceBandit said in the OPs, SK is the most important to kill person, as he is really dangerous. Giving a reason just in case.

Lolno. I would rather wait till we get more gevidence on scum, if I am town. If I was mafia, I would be sorta rushing.

If we have a strong scum lead, leave alone. If we cannot find any scum leads, lynch.

I believe it’s 100% true, as Jask the great wouldn’t ever go ahead and claim something like that at the start of a mafia, if he was scum or lying, or at least I think so.

Apparently, yes, to ensure one’s survival is more important than saving another comrade if it will only lead your faction to doom and destruction.

Depends on my fever, if it does not grow much, I will be pretty dedicated. And yeah, I am willing to put in time for activity to interpret or think posts.

I believe it’s overused, but I still like to use it as it may put some pressure on a certain person, to see how he would react under pressure, revealing possible scumtells.

Cowfriend

cough Everybody got a PM in which it said their role and another person’s role. cough

I just read whatever I found, now to actually read the posts in order..

Flag Post

This is going to be way too much effort to read…

I don’t understand how it’s even possible to write so much on the first day based on so little >.>

Flag Post

Rest of the posts, now then.

Cowfriend

THEY’RE BOTH SCUMS OBVIOUSLY

Elaborate, please.

I don’t see a difference. If there is any difference.

Cough Here’s an instance from a mafia I won’t name.

Joke vote phase

A : Lollol I vote person b because he has ____ in his name!!
C : I vote A because he didn’t have enough reasoning for voting B.

Now, this, is what we call a VI without any scumtells.

No. Friends4Ever

So, are you implying you’d rather lose along with your faction rather than let your friend die even if its better for the faction? Disrespect for cowfriend: +1

It’s dumb.

Elaborate, please.

Devourer359

….SI’s…

Completely unrelated, but what do SI’s mean?

I have no idea what you’re asking.

Try to anal, look for possible scumtells by everyone, townie or not, you can’t be sure who’s townie and who’s not, take risks sometimes.

Try to anal, look for possible scumtells by townies, take risks sometimes, pretend to be innocent. (You won’t find a difference between my playing styles of mafia and townie usually)

…town needs all the numbers that it can get.

Why, if I may ask?

Vote CowFriend on the chance that this is serious.

What do you mean?

k, that’s it, nothing else to comment on from my point of view.

Flag Post

Wait wait wait, every townie would be given the role of one of their townie neighbors in a pm. Unless you were stupid, or unless you were MAGAAGAGAGGAGAAFAIA, or both… you would have known why.

Flag Post

Wait wait wait, every townie would be given the role of one of their townie neighbors in a pm. Unless you were stupid, or unless you were MAGAAGAGAGGAGAAFAIA, or both… you would have known why.

Do mafia not know anybody else’s role at the start of the game? If so.

Vote Cowfriend till he puts up a defense that is good and proper.