[SIGNUPS] [RP] Incarnatum Mȳthologiae [ALWAYS OPEN] page 20

599 posts

Flag Post

Confirming that Mav isn’t lying. I’m still not sure if I’m capable of forgiving people, so this is pretty much just an experiment… but I’ve decided to forgive Nepycros and Maverixk for now. His character will be accepted once some changes are made.

Flag Post

I’ve made some edits, let me know if I’ve forgotten anything.

Flag Post
Originally posted by maverixk:

I’ve made some edits, let me know if I’ve forgotten anything.

[You’ve forgotten that you only need to post your biography once.]

[Or is that intentional, so people can see the original?]

Flag Post

Some parts of your profile are repeated, Mav. From basic spells to biography.

The character is fine, but psyce… Ugh, did you really have to make a substance that displays hysteresis with two radically different liquid states? I tried to draw a phase diagram for that thing, but it turns out I need two phase diagrams, one for increasing temperature and one for decreasing…

If you don’t know what hysteresis is… Say we have some physical property, like temperature. Fix two values of that property, A and B. The object displays hysteresis regarding that physical property if it does one thing when you change the property from A to B, but does something completely different when you change the property from B to A. If we’re talking about psyce, the physical property is temperature. It goes from solid to conducting liquid to gas when you increase temperature, but goes from gas to corrosive liquid to solid when you decrease temperature.

The part that troubles me is how psyce reacts to change in pressure. Does it display hysteresis regarding pressure as well? What does it do if it’s depressurized to turn from solid to liquid, or pressurized to turn from gas to liquid? The easy way out would be ensuring that it becomes the conducting liquid from any sort of solid-to-liquid transition, whether via heating or depressurization; the same applies for the corrosive liquid. But drawing a phase diagram for psyce will be a nightmare, as I might need four phase diagrams… Or maybe even an infinite number of them. I don’t know; I haven’t learned phase transitions in that much detail.

Flag Post

I’ll just make the liquid have one property, and I’ll delete the repeated info, I’m on my phone right now so I’ll do it in about half an hour

EDIT: Fixing it.

Flag Post

…why don’t we talk about this in chat, Mav.

EDIT: Maverixk is accepted.

Flag Post

I’m sorry for not posting anything in the past few days, guys. Final exams are drawing near, and… I’ve really left one of my term projects to the last minute. I’ll be very busy this weekend trying to cram in a few weeks of work. But, as to my nature, I still will try to procrastinate and waste time, so I may or may not be able to post…

Flag Post

As much as I want to play the game, I would say that uni has to come first.

Flag Post

Agh… Everything is done. No more schoolwork until term 2 of the year begins. But then there are exams next week…

Oh well. I should still be about to post something.

Flag Post

All my exams are now done. Yes, I am free… Expect rapid plot developments in the next few days. Unless something unexpected comes up, of course.

I was going to post this last week, but forgot about it, so I will post it now. This is a slightly sensitive topic, and one that is highly unlikely to arise in the actual game, but it is nevertheless a very important part of the setting.

First, for all organic creatures, every cell contains a tiny fragment of the creature’s soul within its genetic materials. Even when the magical field inside a creature fades away after death, these soul fragments will still remain for a very long time, as long as the genetic materials still exist. Solid inorganic creatures do not have genetic materials like organic ones, but tiny bits of their bodies still contain such soul fragments, only a little harder to harvest compared to organic creatures and may degrade over time more quickly. Incorporeal creatures contain soul fragments too, except they practically disappear immediately after death, after their bodies dissolve; special magic is required to harvest their soul fragments.

When sexual reproduction occurs, two soul fragments, one from each parent, come together and merge during fertilization, creating a blueprint of sorts to the new soul that will be born. This blueprint then absorbs magical energy from its mother as the embryo develops, gradually becoming an infant’s soul. If you ask at what exact point in time the blueprint becomes a complete soul, it’s impossible to give a clear answer, since the process is very gradual just like the development of an embryo. I know this is different from what my Nexus setting thread says, but that thread is way out of date; I’ve since then totally overhauled the setting but haven’t gotten around to updating the thread. Inorganic creatures that reproduce sexually do a similar thing with merging soul fragments, except in their case there will be no organic embryos involved.

Now, a slight difficulty may arise when two parents are of different species in this game. The mother has a human form, but her true form may be biologically incapable of supporting the baby. Let’s take an extreme example, a human male and a fire elemental Shifter female that have a human baby. The mother’s fire elemental form obviously can’t support the baby, since it’s incorporeal, and the baby obviously can’t polymorph with her, since it’s human. But there is difficulty in determining at exactly which point the baby becomes its own being rather than a part of its mother. I don’t think it should be the moment of fertilization, or the moment the zygote implants itself in the womb of its mother’s human form, as the “baby” is only a single cell at the moment and shouldn’t be capable of immediately changing its mother’s behavior.

The solution, I think, is have it so that in the early stages, the embryo is considered a part of the mother’s body. Its own soul has hardly developed yet, so it is its mother’s magical field that runs through its body rather than its own; this makes the body count as mostly belonging to the mother. Hence, in these early stages, the mother is able to make the embryo polymorph with her. But as the embryo and its soul gradually grows, it gradually develops its own magical field, slowly making its body count as its own. As this happens, it will place greater and greater physical and mental stress on the mother when she tries to polymorph into a fire elemental while pregnant. This is a continuous process, but the stress level increases rapidly with time, as the zygote replicates at an exponential rate. Soon, it will be so stressful that the mother can hardly polymorph at all. If she tries to force it at this stage, the baby will die horribly, and the mother will be seriously damaged as well. If the mother’s true form is biologically capable of supporting the baby, e.g. if she’s an elf, vampire, or similar, the stress of polymorphing in later stages of pregnancy will be significantly less, and will not kill the baby, though the shock of transformation may have hard-to-predict and dangerous effects on the baby and the mother. Either way, it’s safer to remain in one form during pregnancy. Obviously there will be no such problems if the mother cannot transform at all, e.g. if she’s a Beast that happens to be biologically compatible with humans.

Also, if the mother is an infectious creature like a vampire, and is in true form while pregnant, the infectious part of her magic will likely flow into the baby and infect it, turning it into one of her own species, regardless of the baby’s original species. It is extremely rare to get a baby of the father’s species, or a hybrid baby, if the mother’s species is infectious. However, if the father’s species infectious but the mother’s species is not, the baby has a normal chance of being a hybrid, as it isn’t being constantly infected by its mother’s nature. If both parents’ species are infectious but different, the mother’s species usually wins, as the baby is constantly exposed to its mother’s infectious nature; hybrids or babies of the father’s species are slightly more common if the father’s species is also infectious, but still quite rare. Yes, this does mean vampire/werewolf hybrids are rare.

Flag Post

That taunt was definitely worth it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by overfrost:

That taunt was definitely worth it.

Was it? Humorous as that was, you do realize that he can, as B_S stated, kill you with one hit? Then again, you fainted so he’ll probably ignore you, I guess it just fits your character, and I doubt that B_S would do pretty much everything he could to not kill your character off without your permission, unless you pissed him off. So, I guess you solved it, but yeah…I’d be careful with that.

Well, I guess that means you probably won’t have to do much this fight.

EDIT: I just realized that I sounded sooo try-hard…sorry, guys.

Flag Post

Where is the group going to go and what are they going to do after escaping from the city ruins? It’s too tiring for me to dictate absolutely everything you guys do. If any of you have any ideas, feel free to post them in this thread or PM them to me. Or, what the hell, just do it; don’t even bother asking me first. If there’s something wrong with it, I’ll talk to you; you don’t have to proactively try to work out any problems.

Flag Post

How about we head to The Blue dragons kingdom?

Flag Post

Personally, Vinyl is just a wanderer, his only objective is to help where he can, make a couple people’s lives better, then move on. Lavender and Pale Fang may change that though.

Flag Post

Primary Name: Saris
Other Names: Saris Kataras (full name), S.K.R.E.A.M. (stage name)
Class: Beast
Species: Siren/Banshee Hybrid
Human Appearance: N/A
True Appearance: Humanoid frame of about 180cm in height, appearing very similar to this guy in terms of body type and hair, albeit slightly paler in terms of skin tone and aged up three or four years. Eyes appear to be relatively normal, being fae-esque in terms of basic appearance, with deep vermilion irises, but pupils constantly glow a bright fluorescent green that he tends to hide, either behind blackened shades or through use of his glamor. Additionally, bird-like wings sprout from his back to a length of about two and a half meters each, coloured an ashen grey with green flecks in the feathers, and his teeth and nails appear to be sharpened slightly, although this effect is natural due to his heritage. Usually walks around in tight-fitting white jeans specked with silver glitter, and nothing else, since shirts with wing slits in them are relatively rare compared to non-slitted shirts, and he apparently feels uncomfortable with covering his otherwise human-looking feet up, possibly due to being part-siren. But mostly he does it for reasons of fanservice.
Personality: A pretty nice guy with a “free mind” style outlook, alongside a subtly-played penchant for just about any gender of creature, if they indeed exhibit a desire to bed him. He also tends to act in a slightly air-headed manner, obfuscating a leader-like quality in difficult situations that has earned him many, many groupies.
Skills:
Singing – Saris is an expert singer, partially due to the combination of vocal talents inherited from his parents. Specifically, he is a popular and well-known metal/screamo vocalist in Utopian cities and amongst certain Undersphere- and Eastern Kingdom-based fan groups, but is also capable of softer or sweeter singing when he feels like it, reaching choir-esque levels if he tries hard enough.
Leadership- In difficult situations such as combat, Saris has a natural tendency to occupy a leaderly role, and direct or assist people as is appropriate for the moment.
Spells and Abilities:
Basic Abilities:
Flight – Wings; ergo, flight. This cannot be sustained forever, but at his current physique, Saris can manage a reasonable time airborne, achieving a good maximum distance and height in that time.
Superior Physique – As a fae, Saris’ general physical capabilities, e.g. strength, reflexes, senses, rate of healing, etc., are all drastically greater than those of the average human being. These are further bolstered by his (technically) undead status, which additionally grants him a greater than (human) average intelligence and minor resistance to most forms of damage.
Glamour/Energy Drain – An aura of energy extends outward from Saris to a reasonable distance. Within this aura, he can create relatively complex illusions to alter the perceptions of targets in range, emulating the main five senses belonging to humans and most other sentient beings with a good degree of accuracy, or drain the life energy of beings within it to damage them and restore himself, potentially transforming those killed by the effect into new undead beings. Saris cannot utilise both his glamor and energy drain to their full capacity at the same time without straining himself to do so, losing a significant amount of focus on other things when he does. Additionally, he may degrade the glamor into a relatively primitive form in order to unleash a loud and horrifying shriek that selectively paralyses those who hear it with mind-numbing terror, potentially bursting eardrums, and/or causing death through shock in targets with low willpower or who are easily scared, although the effects of such fear are able to be resisted with a high enough willpower or via use of certain abilities.
Banshee Hearing – Being part-banshee, Saris’ hearing is magically enhanced in such a manner that his own shrieks do not damage his hearing to any degree. Additionally, he is less likely to suffer hearing damage from loud noises in general, and is significantly more resistant to the shrieks of other banshees and their effects than most other beings of a similar willpower to himself.
Siren Song – When desired, Saris may alter his voice to a melodic and heavily charming version of itself, usually delivered in song to boost the effect (hence the ability name). Whilst this power is active, those listening to him have a strong desire to do whatever he asks them to, or otherwise be near him for the sake of it as opposed to anything else if no orders are given, although those with strong willpowers can resist this effect, and orders that would require particularly unpleasant actions such as attacking a close friend are proportionally easier to resist carrying out.
Advanced Abilities:
Unless otherwise stated, Saris’ advanced abilities function by producing magically enchanted soundwaves that affect anyone (or, where appropriate, anything) struck by them on a selective basis, including Saris himself. They are usually activated via chanting a short invocation, although they can be activated to somewhat lesser effect simply by vocalising a sound of some form. As a result of this method of activation, appropriate abilities cannot be used if Saris’ voice is muted to a great enough extent, through either physical or magical methods; in the same way, the abilities themselves will have less effect on those who are sufficiently shielded, magically or otherwise, from the soundwaves produced.
Knight’s Canticle – Amplifies the general physical characteristics and bolsters the general willpower and resistance to fear and fear-inducing effects of anyone affected. Such effects linger for a moderate time once the Canticle ends, although they get gradually weaker as more time passes without hearing another Canticle.
Wizard’s Dirge – Lowers the effectiveness of spells and abilities and breaks down the general willpower and resistance to fear and fear-inducing effects of anyone affected. Such effects linger for a moderate time once the Dirge ends, although they get gradually weaker as more time passes without hearing another Dirge.
Judgement’s Aria – Selectively provides one of two effects to anything affected. The first possible effect causes bodily regeneration not too dissimilar to that of the average vampire in targets, although it differs in that it is weaker than the regeneration of the average vampire and only lasts for a moderate timeframe if further Arias are not invoked within said timeframe, but with the upside that, save for abilities or spells specifically designed to hinder or halt regeneration, it will allow for regeneration against most sources of damage, including damage caused to vampires by sunlight or sunlight-emulating abilities. The second possible effect is the opposite of the first, in that, at a fairly rapid pace, the target’s bodily form will rust, rot, dissolve, disintegrate, or otherwise decay in some form from the outside in, eventually killing it if it does not have some form of regenerative ability to counteract the decay (excessively tough or powerful opponents may be capable of outlasting the time limit on a single, or even several consecutive Arias, without need of regeneration or healing, although doing so is all but impossible after a certain point). Should a single target ever be inflicted with both effects at once, they will cancel out fully, leaving neither regeneration nor degeneration of bodily form behind, although further invocations of one or the other may then be inflicted upon a target immediately.
Possessions:
“The Party Van” – Basically just a large metal container with a sliding door along one side, a great number of seats inside (with appropriate restraints) and reinforced windows at both ends and along the sides of these, as well as two “privacy rooms” containing a bed each, and enchanted to only allow sound in, not out. Magically enchanted so that it hovers above the ground, and can be driven like an IRL vehicle, albeit with an ability to rotate back upright if it turns over in midair. Acts as transportation for Howling Menace, their instruments, and some groupies.
Band stuff – Guitars, microphones, drum kits, and just about everything else a singer might ever need. Includes backups of all of the above.
Band members – Members of Saris’ band, Howling Menace (and by virtue of being alive, not technically owned by Saris himself, although it’s easier to list them as possessions for the moment). Includes a female banshee, Jaxxy, as backup vocalist; a male lich, Faeyrisil, as bass guitar; a female elf, Jezzika, and male demon, Dexter, as electric guitar; and an apparently masculine steel golem, Berneshh, as drummer. Note that anyone can sign up as one of them, if they so please; however, by this point, they do already have set personalities and appearances, although no set abilities.
Groupies – A large group of band followers Beast and Shifter alike (again, not technically under ownership of Saris, but easier to list as possessions than anything else), some riding in the Party Van, others following on foot or by wing. The group consists of a reasonably large number of undead creatures, including banshees, liches, zombies and dullahans, but also contains a great number of living creatures such as fae, demons, at least one dragon, and even a human or two, or possibly more.
Faction: Neutral
Biography: Born to a full Siren mother and a shifter Banshee father, Saris’ early life was heavily music-influenced. It was probably a dead certainty that he would become a singer of some form, as rare as those are in the Worldsphere today; ultimately, though, relatively significant amounts of time spent around his father were what likely tipped him toward entering the stage as a metal-focused rockstar. Gathering a band up at the age of twenty two, he started his career on a high note, and quickly gained a fairly large following, which has continued to grow steadily since then. Alas, as many famous singers are wont to do, he fell into a cycle of casual sex and drug abuse, at one point becoming particularly addicted to a specific drug called Nerveburn, which provides extreme sensitivity and an oddly pleasant tingling sensation all over the body, but eventually destroys the nerve endings in the skin with prolonged use. Fortunately, his band members succeeded in weaning him off of Nerveburn and a variety of other drugs before such effects became a major problem, and since that time, he has been severely against drug use of any form, enforcing it in his band members to the highest degree he can manage. Although the casual sex is still a regular thing, granted that his partially undead status grants him immunity to natural disease.

A new character here; for reference, this account is the alt of BCLEGENDS, to be confirmed shortly.

Flag Post

Confirming that ADLEGENDS is my alt. By the way, people, feel free to create new player characters out of the groupies and/or band members in Saris’ troupe, if you so desire. I need some way to characterize the band members anyway; so much the better if someone basically does it for me.

Flag Post

Accepted.

…should I discuss Worldsphere drug usage in more detail?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

Accepted.

…should I discuss Worldsphere drug usage in more detail?

Please do. It’d assist Saris’ storyline greatly.

Flag Post

Because of a sudden bout of depression, I am no longer in the mood to write anything today.

If you people in the main group want the story to continue moving, have a group of demons attack. The Magus Mechanicle Enforcers will then be too busy fighting the demons to continue pursuing your characters. Something like this is simple enough that I shouldn’t need to do it for you.

Flag Post

Primary Name: Tamwyn

Other Names: Tamwyn the Great Wolf, Nightstalker

Class: Shifter

Species: Werewolf

Human Appearance: Muscular. About 6ft. tall with oily black hair that is also light. Always seems to have a light brown tan. Deep brown eyes that are the color of bark. Always wearing a faded biker jacket. Always ready to eat some human food or bed a woman. More sensitive ears that will succumb to unexpected loud noise or high-pitched singing.

True Appearance: A mottled gray and brown coat of shaggy fur, perfect for forest camouflage. Small and writhe but obviously strong and fast. Eyes like a wolf on the hunt. Also sensitive ears.

Personality: Very smart and quick. Will enjoy any female that has a form that is the same species as one of his. Fun-loving and playful but serious in moments of severity and when hunting, weather for women, magi, or snacks.

Skills:
cooking- were he a pure human he would serve as the head chef in the house of the richest noble, but he prefers to use it to become employed in his target’s household to poison them.
swordplay- trained science the age of 5 and one of the best in his clan

Spells:
Basic:
Fire Aptitude- He can summon and control fire but can’t have an extreme quantity of fire, or control it from a distance unless there is a fairly large source nearby. This would be best used in a place with little access to the outside world that is wooden. Very similar to firebending but weaker if you think it OP.
jump- Tamwyn can instantly move to places in a 70 mi. radius but this can only be used once every day. Not affected by typical physical effects.
Advanced:
fur shield- Tamwyn can create a temporary thick coat around himself that will protect from physical damage.

Abilities:
Basic:
enhanced senses- Tamwyn has advanced senses of smell, hearing, and sight. most improved is his smell which can identify people/animals after meeting them as well as smelling fear
Werewolf bite- like all werewolves Tamwyn’s bite will typically turn a human into a werewolf over a few days.
Advanced:
runner- Tamwyn can run faster longer than most werewolves and all horses. The effect is that he can move over 50 mph for moderate time periods.

Possessions:
batty- not really a possession but a strange, annoying friend. Looks like a bat but has a strange green glow and green eyes. only stops talking to sleep, eat, and hide. Talks like a toddler. Still seems to know when to quiet and feels powerful. (the purpose of this guy is a secret so I can’t tell any more)
jade amulet- a talisman that protects from possession and absorbs some energy from energy-based magic (ex: a bolt of energy). Was given by father.

Faction: Neutral

Biography: Tamwyn was raised as a member of a secret clan that works to hunt down and kill magi. he has trained since birth to hunt humans magi. He has not yet been given a target but recently became qualified to hunt magi.

Flag Post

Uhhhhhh… There are just so many problems with that profile.

Flag Post

Uhhhhhh… There are just so many problems with that profile.

huh?

Flag Post

Take a minute and look at some of the other profiles in this game, dude. And read the signup posts more carefully too, maybe.

Flag Post

Take a minute and look at some of the other profiles in this game, dude. And read the signup posts more carefully too, maybe.

oh I will fix sometime by tomorrow