[SIGNUPS] [RP] Incarnatum Mȳthologiae [ALWAYS OPEN] page 3

599 posts

Flag Post

I just saw Nimbus’s profile, so…

@Nimbus:
Remember that nothing is absolute. Only the spells of weak mages can be nullified easily; stronger ones are only weakened.
If you try to teleport into a solid object, either you or it will be pushed aside, depending on which one of you is stronger. If you have nowhere to move, you will be pushed back to the other dimension, meaning that the teleport will fail. You cannot split an object apart by teleporting into it. Also, there exists some spells and abilities that can block off teleportation and similar abilities, as they’re not that uncommon.
If you want to teleport someone else, you’ll have to either send a pulse of magic to touch your target, or touch the target yourself. It takes more energy to teleport something containing more mass or energy, and if the target does not want to be teleported then a contest of magical power will determine whether the teleportation is successful. If you want to only teleport a part of an object, you’ll have to detach it from the rest of the object first, which you may or may not be powerful enough to do. A sufficiently powerful immobilization spell can prevent you from teleporting altogether, though only if the spell user is overwhelmingly stronger than you.
Extinguish also has to work through some sort of contact, either a pulse of magic or physical contact. And of course, there are many spells and abilities that can make it more difficult to drain energy from its caster.
Lastly, the magic he uses is exactly the same as the magic everyone else uses. He can believe otherwise, but his source of power isn’t anything special.

@Sierra: “Critical hit”… That’s a bit awkward, since what constitutes as a critical hit on one target may not be one on another. If it works on all targets, it’s more like luck manipulation, which is a form of low-level reality warping, which I don’t like. Increasing attack power is fine, but critical hit not so much.

Flag Post

Alright, finished my sign-up in the first page. Please be gentle when you inform me of any mistake.

Flag Post

1 I know. It’s not meant to be absolute.
2. If I want to get through a solid object, I will Void Walk through it.
3. I know that there are rules about teleportation, and that it is easily stopped.
4. Extinguish can be changed to work through a pulse of magic.
5. He believes his magic is different. That does not mean that it is.

Flag Post

2. If I want to get through a solid object, I will Void Walk through it.

I meant if you want to break a solid object apart by intentionally teleporting into the same location as it. It won’t work.

Originally posted by Xandrya:

Alright, finished my sign-up in the first page. Please be gentle when you inform me of any mistakes.

It looks mostly good, but remember the limitations of telekinesis that posted in my overpowered supernatural abilities thread. Her skin can be tough, but there certainly exist things that can cut through it easily (e.g. the final boss’s attacks). Succubi only drain life energy from their victims, because consuming another soul is kind of a big deal in not just this game but my whole Nexus setting in general; even gaining the victim’s knowledge and memories isn’t the same thing as outright assimilating a soul. But in compensation, the victim can be of any gender or non-gender, not necessarily male. And things like supernatural seduction are more easily resisted by strong willpower, even if the prey is unsuspecting of any danger, though an unexpected attack is more difficult to resist than normal.

Flag Post

{ Hmm… The beast seems tempting, but I know that quite a few will be a beast, so I think I’ll stick with my only character Magi. }

{ Also, impressive text walls, Blood_Shadow. Your literacy forces me to respect you. Always. ;D }

Flag Post

Sierra’s character is accepted.

Also, impressive text walls, Blood_Shadow. Your literacy forces me to respect you. Always. ;D

Thank you. I’m more worried about the walls of text scaring people away…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

Thank you. I’m more worried about the walls of text scaring people away…

{ Pfft. Text walls attract those of the semi-literate and literate societies. My posts/profiles look less literate here for some reason. D: }

Flag Post

Yes, her telekinesis is limited to her actual strength in true form. So for example, she’s not able to magically lift a large throne or anything of the like, nor is she able to attain an item if it’s in someone else’s grasp. As far as the skin goes, I failed to mention it’s only a strong defense against human attacks. Other forms of creatures can deal a good amount of damage since they are just as powerful (more or less) as her.
I’ll forfeit the soul-sucking itself; even as I was typing it up it seemed a bit odd. And the seduction thing will be edited, I rushed through that at the last minute.

EDIT: fixed.

Flag Post

Primary Name: Tarn. (A name he gave himself, he was abandoned as a child and felt as if they weren’t going to give him a name, no one else deserved to but him.)

Other Names: James (Childhood name which he ignores), Skarr.

Class: Shifter

Species: Werewolf

Human Appearance: 6’5, muscular, Long black hair, icy blue eyes, pale skin, black coat that he never takes off, light armour on his arms cloaked by his coat to ward off some attacks, torn blue jeans and black boots.

True Appearance: A black wolf, large teeth for his size and razor sharp claws.

Personality: Sometime ago, Tarn may have been a nice guy, in fact he still is, he’s selflessly doing the world a favour by bearing the torture of his beast, Skarr. Skarr is him in his true appearance, much different from Tarn. Tarn is quiet and usually avoids conflict but a savage warrior lay beneath that. He never searches for conflict but never seems to be able to avoid it. He is very volatile though, a trait he blames on his bloodline, he hails from Northern tribes which frequently deployed berserkers. When angered he becomes as savage as Skarr, but this is when Skarr is strongest, easily being able to overcome his will and release himself. Sometimes, Skarr likes to watch Tarn battle, possibly out of laziness or another one of his sadistic pleasure. Skarr is very evil, although his voice can only be heard by Tarn his speech is usually littered with searing insults or sadistic temptations which Tarn never falls for. Skarr can attack Tarn from inside if he gets desperate or bloodthirsty enough to want out that bad. Tarn feels it is only a matter of time before Skarr takes complete control and he becomes just another beast, the only silver lining is that Skarr appears to be somewhat intelligent so the last of him won`t be a mindless maniac. Him and Skarr both have a burning hatred of the Magnus Mechanicle, Tarn won’t attack on sight but if he is confronted it is the few times he will willingly release Skarr, as much as he hates to admit it seeing Skarr tear those bastards to shreds always puts a smile on his face.

Skills:
- Singing: Tarn has a very powerful voice, he’ll sometimes sing alone in the forest and he claims sometimes the animals will emerge to hear him.
-Hunter, Tarn is an amazing hunter, Skarr is even better, using his lupine senses to find prey wherever they hide, no one can escape him.

- Advanced spells:
Blizzard: Tarn can conjure a raging snowstorm, severely limiting visibility and decreasing temperature substantially, in rare cases poorly equipped victims caught in the spell develop frostbite. It also turns some areas of the ground to ice, and in a raging battle one slip can mean death. It is very beneficial to Tarn but more so to Skarr, his amazing speed and ferocity can murder many mages while the storm wreaks havoc on their concentration and aim. The aftermath is also very pretty. The downside is that he grows weak if he uses it more than once in a day, he’s never used it more than twice a day so he doesn’t know the effects.

- Basic spells:
Frost Bolt: A large spear of ice, it is flicked at suck kforce that it can easily sear through lightly armoured enemies. This is mainly used as a distraction to get close to his enemies.

Enhanced strength: This spell makes him stronger, although he already possesses immense strength he uses this spell in battle to block even the mightiest of blows with one of his axes, it works as good as any shield. Downside is that if this spell is used to an extreme excess he begins to feel weak and unable to carry out his vicious attacks. He can also absorb the force of many spells, but due to his choice of weapon it’s very unlikely he’ll be able to deflect it perfectly and not get his by some of the spell.

Basic Abilities:
- Lupine Senses: Skarr has all the senses of a wolf, and all the savagery of one. He can sense prey and no one has escaped his jaws.

-Bestial Howl: A howl that strikes the soul, it can frighten the cowardly and if that don’t work his savage roar usually does. Occasionally other wolves in the vicinity will answer his call, but they usually serve as a distraction unless in great numbers.

Strength: No man is Skarr’s equal in strength, he can easily tear head and arms from torso.

Advanced abilities:
-Frantic Regeneration: Skarr benefits from a strong form of regeneration, smaller injuries are healed within minutes while larger ones can last for a day or two. He is at low chance of bleeding out, his wounds will usually mend themselves before he dies but they will still leave him weak. Strikes must be instantly fatal to be sure of killing him.

Possessions: Two enchanted axes which serve as his main weapons, they are enchanted that they cause wounds to fester, even the tiniest scratch will burn as if it was still fresh and larger wounds cannot be easily healed by mages (Well, not quickly at least)

Faction: Neutral

Biography: As an infant he was abandoned by his parents in an orphanage, he knows nothing about them but from their accents the woman that accepted him says they were from the North. That would explain his Wolf form, many many years ago those Northern tribals would believe wolves to be a gift from the gods and thought them sacred, apparently they made great hunting companions. At the age of 13 he left that orphanage and the city behind to survive on his own. He was very good at it too, he’d use his beast form to hunt game and sell them at a city, he gained his strength lugging game around. He blames this overuse of his powers as the cause of Skarr, if he had treated it with respect and not recklessly abuse it maybe he wouldn’t have a sadistic wolf inside his head. Skarr first appeared when he attempted to use his True Form but found he had absolutely no control,. This was many years ago, his will was strong and could withstand Skarr’s attacks but over the years his defences are falling, he has accepted that Skarr will eventually take complete control but Tarn continuously fights him so innocent people aren’t slaughtered for his amusement. Due to Tarn’s anger, in battle Skarr can easily take control and especially will if he believe Tarn is over his head, exclusively for self-preservation purposes though, if tarn dies he dies.

There have been many occasions where Skarr embarked on his psychotic sprees, Tarn is riddled with guilt because of them for he is the only one that can keep Skarr at bay. Skarr seems to have some compassion for evil, like the time he decided to rescue a Witch from th Magnus, she rewarded them with his axes that he uses, it’s a rather sadistic enchantment, it’s only purpose is to inflict pain and wear down the victim. He even spared the woman, something Tarn has never witnessed. Currently, Tarn is camped out in the woods hoping to keep Skarr as far away from people as he can.

Flag Post

Primary Name:
Sophia

Other Names:
N/A

Class:
Shifter

Species:
Hydrioth aka Orbis aquatilis

Hydrioths are light red orbs of about 2 cm in radius, fleshy cores that release magical energy to control the surrounding water, dragging along whatever is mixed with it. Through this sort of manipulation, Hydrioths can change into any outer shape. Releasing this magical energy, Hydrioths can also freely change the appearance of themselves by altering the properties of the surrounding water. The Hydrioth core is the only vital part of the body, and can freely move around as long as there is water present.

Hydrioths reproduce asexually, and gender is obsolete, but still remains a genetic trait. The only effect that gender has is an effect on the default appearance of a Hydrioth’s human form, as Hydrioths have no sexual organs, even in human form. Asexual reproduction occurs only upon the death of a Hydrioth, scrambling the parent’s DNA and stored, unused DNA in order to create a genetically different Hydrioth offspring. This offspring first spawns as a microscopic egg, growing until it becomes a true core and obtains an identity. Because only one Hydrioth can be created per parent and because this offspring can be destroyed by the cautious, the population of Hydrioths remains low and endangered.

As a note, the development of a Hydrioth’s default human appearance typically stops around the age of 23 years old.

Human Appearance:

Being a Hydrioth, Sophia carries a default human appearance of imperfect beauty. While Sophia typiccaly owns looks of long black hair, average height, and light colored skin, she can easily change her appearance with some exertion of energy in order to suit her needs. And because her ordinary form is one of flowing liquids, Sophia usually doesn’t carry around clothing, choosing instead to mold her body to reflect the looks of simple clothing. However, she can always be found wearing a simple diamond necklace around her neck.

True Appearance:

Sophia, like all other Hydrioths, is composed almost completely of a single core. The magical aura created by her core currently maintains water in the shape of an averagely built, thin teenage girl. However, this is simply her default appearance, with no energy used to shift. With her command, she can change her body into any shape and size, as long as she has a supply of water and a lasting endurance. Other than her necklace, her outer body consists completely of water, the appearance depending on its composition and her alterations, which usually make the water blue.

Personality:

Sophia is flippant when it comes to the feelings or opinions of others. Simply seeking an amusing situation, she will stop at almost nothing if she sees potential fun. This is not to say that she is heartless though, and rarely, she becomes truly attached to something or someone. However, any display of sympathetic or generous emotions is most likely a facade, a pretense to achieve her goals. In order to survive with such a dangerous habit, Sophia uses her intelligence and the ability to deceive to her advantage.

Sophia has no spiritual beliefs, and doesn’t spare a single care for those that do, in both positive and negative ways. However, she holds a strong disdain for members of the Magus Mechanicle, regarding them as ignorant bigots who deserve nothing but the worst.

Skills:

Lying: Through years of the use of deceit, most strangers find it hard to catch Sophia in a lie.

Cooking: While Sophia’s species has no need for cooking, it is a skill that she has learned.

Herbology: Sophia understands the abilities of herbs, allowing her to create poisons and medicine.

Hunting: Sophia knows which animals are preferred targets and how to kill them without being noticed.

Spells and Abilities:

Flash Step (Advanced Spell): Sophia can increase the speed of her core and outer body immensely for a split second, allowing her to move great distances as if she has teleported. This has its limits though, and Sophia is unable to navigate through curvy and maze-like passageways while she’s using Flash Step due to the uncontrollable speed. Unless she destroys any obstacles in her path, the spell ends upon any impact. And so as to not overexert her body, Sophia tries not to use this spell in quick succession.

Thermal Manipulation (Basic Spell): Sophia can change the temperatures of the water under her core’s influence. This allows for her to heat up or freeze portions of her body as she needs. The air’s moisture around her is counted as under her influence as long as she has a liquid water’s reach towards it, and can be readily changed to create a body for her. This means that an unsuspecting, incautious enemy can have his or her internal systems dangerously affected if he or she gets injured in close range. However, because the effects of Thermal Manipulation are limited to water connected to Sophia’s core and because Sophia cannot instantly change an object to her desired temperature, an enemy with quick reflexes can avoid close range attacks by Thermal Manipulation.

Energy Expulsion (Basic Spell): Sophia can fire pure magical energy out of her core, in the form of bolts, shards, lasers, or whatever projectile Sophia feels creative enough to create. These typically fire in straight lines, but Sophia can alter the properties of the prpjectile, allowing her to give them capabilities like curving or homing. All of these projectiles have one thing in common, and that is their effect. Upon impact of any object, the projectile deals destructive damage based on the properties that it is given.

Water Control (Basic Ability): Sophia can manipulate the water around her, moving it and any objects within as long as she has a water based connection to it and as long as the water controlled doesn’t exceed seven times her standard body mass in her true form.

Molding (Basic Ability): Sophia can alter her appearances to her liking. However, this doesn’t change the actual substance, and her clothes in her human form can quickly be determined as fake upon a single touch. This may also apply to water mixtures in her true form.

Water Reading (Basic Ability): Sophia can instantly determine the substances that make up a mixture of water just by looking at it. This works less effectively on objects far away.

Flotation (Basic Ability): Sophia’s core floats and can move around against the force of gravity.

Immaterial Form (Advanced Ability): Sophia can selectively turn her core and any soulless objects within her outer body ethereal for as long as she can endure the ensuing intense pain. The objects affected are limited to those that Sophia has the energetic capability of controlling. Because of this pain, Sophia cannot attack while in her Immaterial Form, limited to movement, and not quick movement. After Sophia reverts back to her material form, she suffers from side effects, and is weakened and prevented from using her Immaterial Form for about an hour, depending on how weak she was when she activated it. And if she deactivates her Immaterial Form while inside of a material object, her core suffers damage and she instantly dies.

Possessions:
A diamond necklace with one strand and a pendant shaped like a water droplet.

Faction:
N/A

Biography:
Born in the Undersphere for reasons that Sophia is clueless to, Sophia survived as an egg through pure luck. When she was finally born as a core, she traveled upwards into the Worldsphere, escaping the subterranean dangers somewhere around the age of 4. Her name was given to herself, like most Hydrioths, for there wasn’t a parent alive to name her.

Traveling around the world and causing mischief mostly out of curiosity, Sophia’s presence was soon made known to the Magus Mechanicle while she was residing in a small village. And as there was an Magus Mechanicle officer approaching there to exterminate a greater threat in the nearby mountains, Sophia’s existence would have been extinguished if a nearby Hydrioth named Irene, currently residing in the forests, had not come to save her. Irene, 152 years old, took Sophia, and together they escaped to a forest far away. Irene identified with Sophia, for they were of the same species, and both, in a way, on the run from the Magus Mechanicle.

She taught Sophia the essentials of survival, like herbology and hunting. At the same time, she also taught Sophia minor traits, like how to “eat” and cook, in order to appear more human. The two of them continued this simple lifestyle until Sophia was thirteen years old.

At this time, a group of Magus Mechanicle officers surrounded their vicinity, searching to kill Irene, who was a known criminal and slaughterer of countless magi. Outnumbered and overpowered, Irene was eventually killed by the officers, and upon her death, Sophia took the opportunity to escape. Sophia quickly transformed into her Immaterial Form, escaping into the Undersphere.

When Sophia finally returned to the Worldshpere, her first visit was to Irene’s forest house. She grabbed a necklace of Irene’s, still surviving the burned down remains of their home. It was an item of importance to Irene, and as Irene had never explained its value to Sophia, she wanted to treasure and safekeep it as a token of gratitude and as a reminder to her curiosity.

Nowadays, Sophia’s name is virtually unknown to the masses, and she intends to keep it that way. After all, life provides a lot more freedom and safety to those who don’t have an identity.

Flag Post

Primary Name: The Faceless Man

Other Names: N/A

Class: Magi

Species: Human (?)

Human Appearance: The closer you look at the Faceless Man, the less you can see. Your vision becomes blurry and distrorted, and at no point is it possible to ever see any identifying feature of the Faceless Man. He seems to be tall and lean if you see him from the corner of your eye, though.

True Appearance: N/A

Personality: The Faceless Man has no true identity. His voice sounds strange, a mix of many people’s voices combined together. The Faceless Man believes that the ends do justify the means and that only the Magi can live for there to be unity. He sees himself as a kind of policeman, intending to turn the worldsphere to what it once was.
That means millions, billions even must die. Only the true humans will exist for order to be complete.
So be it.

Skills:
The Faceless Man has mental strength unlike almost anyone else in the sphere. He also possesses incredible strength, far above the human average.

Spells and Abilities:

Basic spells:
Mind Corruption- The Faceless Man corrupts the mind of his target, turning it nearly insane, with no free will whatsoever. Those that meet or exceed The Faceless Man in mental strength can resist or stop Corruption, however, or even try to divert it onto someone else.
Mental Shield- The Faceless Man can resist almost any attack to his mind or his psych, hardened by magic, intelligence, and decades upon decades of cold murder and death.

Advanced spells:
Black Wall- A barrier of black energy that cannot be moved until The Faceless Man decides to put it down, however keeping it up requires energy.
Blink- Once every few minutes, The Faceless Man can blink, moving about ten meters in any direction.
Burning Hand- The Faceless Man can create an orb of pure energy for a very short period of time, enough to shatter a lock or split a man in half, assuming he can grab them.
Fear- Even without using abilities, the Faceless Man carries an very strong aurora of fear around him, which gets stronger the more you look at him or the closer you are to him. He genuinely frightens even the strongest of men.

Possessions: Nothing.

Faction: None. Perhaps he was once part of a group that was destroyed.

Biography: The Faceless Man watched. And observed. And kept a balance. No more. Polymorphing has destroyed the one thing he held dear, the order of the world. The only way he will stop is when there are no more shifters and beasts left, or he lies dead. Whichever comes first.

Flag Post

Yes, her telekinesis is limited to her actual strength in true form. So for example, she’s not able to magically lift a large throne or anything of the like, nor is she able to attain an item if it’s in someone else’s grasp.

I meant the limitations of telekinesis as described in this thread. Even weak telekinesis is deadly if you can use it to crush someone’s brain. I always treat telekinesis as the conjuration of some invisible energy from your being, which can be manipulated to pick up objects. Hence telekinesis can be dodged and blocked, and it cannot affect things it cannot reach like objects hidden behind shields.

No human-made weapon cuts through it easily

I assume you mean ordinary human weapons, because magical weapons can hurt like hell.

You are accepted.

Reaper’s character is accepted.

@Devourer: Some small problems.

First, we should make it so that a hydrioth can only control water. If a sample of water contains particles of other substances in it, those particles are simply dragged along by water control rather than controlled directly. Hence, her control over water will be slower and more sluggish if the water is less pure, since she’s basically dragging around extra weight.

Second, there should be a limit of how much water a hydrioth can control at once; surely it can’t control an entire ocean. Stronger hydrioths can probably control more water, and any hydrioth can control more water if it strains itself and put in more energy, but I’d say that the amount of water it controls can’t go over a few times its body mass.

Like Arken’s fire control, a hydrioth’s water control will be more difficult if the water is magical and/or under the control of someone else; a contest of will should occur if two entities attempt to control the same sample of water.

Controlling the water inside someone’s body is a bit too powerful. I’m going to say that she must let her magical aura seep into a new sample of water before she can take control of it. This aura can be sensed by magic, and it cannot pass through physical objects. So if Sophia wants to boil someone’s innards, she has to puncture the target with a spear of water, then extend the influence of her aura into the person to control the water inside him. The natural field of magic inside any human or monster makes this a difficult and annoying task, so often it should be more efficient to just use conventional attacks. This also means that once contact between her core and the water inside someone’s body is severed, she will quickly lose control of that sample of water. This happens with all water that is already infused by magic, but not with normal water. You don’t have to add all these things into your profile, though; I can just keep them in mind myself.

If Sophia wants to turn a target ethereal against the target’s will, it is subject to the same rules that apply to Nimbus’s character trying to teleport a target against its will. You can just go to this post and read it: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/36-forum-games/topics/303214-signups-rp-incarnatum-m-thologiae-always-open?page=3#posts-6434984

Accept these changes, and you’ll be accepted.

Flag Post

Firespread, your Faceless Man is OP.

Mental Shield says that it can stop “almost any attack”. NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE.

Black Wall “cannot be moved”. NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE.

Don’t look at it kills near instantly. NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE, YOU CANNOT KiLL ANYONE INSTANTLY.

-

Storm of White deals a mixture of heat and magical energy, like a laser powered by magic. Editing Cogito Ergo Sum to add in the nerfs.

Flag Post

@Firespread:

First, you’ve got to have a primary name. It can be “the Faceless Man” if nothing else; put N/A for other names then.

His willpower can be exceptionally strong, but there exist many who are at least equal to him. My antagonists, for example.

The strength to easily tear out someone’s heart has to be at least a basic creature ability, as I don’t think any human is that strong.

There exist plenty of things that can move his Black Wall against his will.

Abilities that are triggered whenever the victim looks at the ability user are disallowed (e.g. a gorgon’s petrifying gaze), because abilities like these really make no sense whatsoever within my system of laws of physics. You can use illusions to cover your face, but anything that affects another person’s mind requires mental contact via a probe of psychic energy. Also, instant death is bad; I really don’t need to explain this one much.

The fear is a mind-altering ability, and so can be resisted with willpower. Many humans, especially the antagonists, will be able to resist it.

If there’s something you’re not telling the public about your character, you must tell me via PM. I’d advise against going back to the earliest times when polymorph was first invented, as I have plans relevant to that time period that I do not want to reveal.

Helltank’s character is accepted.

Flag Post

So when we starting?

Flag Post

I’ll make all of your changes after some clarifications.

First, we should make it so that a hydrioth can only control water. If a sample of water contains particles of other substances in it, those particles are simply dragged along by water control rather than controlled directly. Hence, her control over water will be slower and more sluggish if the water is less pure, since she’s basically dragging around extra weight.

Sounds good to me, except for one thing. It’s rare to find a completely pure sample of water; I’m assuming that small particles won’t have dramatic effects on her abilities?

Second, there should be a limit of how much water a hydrioth can control at once; surely it can’t control an entire ocean. Stronger hydrioths can probably control more water, and any hydrioth can control more water if it strains itself and put in more energy, but I’d say that the amount of water it controls can’t go over a few times its body mass.

I’m fine with a limit, and was originally going to go just based on the limits of their energy. If you want a specified concrete limit, I’ll go ahead and input one. I’m not exactly a measurements master though, so providing a balanced limit that makes sense is difficult for me. Would seven times the body mass of her default body make sense?

Like Arken’s fire control, a hydrioth’s water control will be more difficult if the water is magical and/or under the control of someone else; a contest of will should occur if two entities attempt to control the same sample of water.

I thought that this would be assumed.

Controlling the water inside someone’s body is a bit too powerful. I’m going to say that she must let her magical aura seep into a new sample of water before she can take control of it.

Sounds good to me, and similar to my original intention. Perhaps I phrased something badly.

This aura can be sensed by magic, and it cannot pass through physical objects.

I assume that you mean “solid” by “physical”. I’ll make this change.

So if Sophia wants to boil someone’s innards, she has to puncture the target with a spear of water, then extend the influence of her aura into the person to control the water inside him. The natural field of magic inside any human or monster makes this a difficult and annoying task, so often it should be more efficient to just use conventional attacks.

The ability to boil/freeze innards was meant for close range combat, as a safeguard against Sophia’s weakness in physical fights. At close range, couldn’t I just as easily puncture a persons arm and boil them alive instead of touching a persons arm with an arm of water to do the same thing?

If Sophia wants to turn a target ethereal against the target’s will, it is subject to the same rules that apply to Nimbus’s character trying to teleport a target against its will.

Immaterial Form only works on inanimate objects, meaning that it cannot affect living cells. As for magical creations by other characters, I assume that whether or not they will be affected depends on the magical control of the corresponding owner and Sophia’s selective choice.

Flag Post

So when we starting?

Tomorrow or Thursday.

It’s rare to find a completely pure sample of water; I’m assuming that small particles won’t have dramatic effects on her abilities?

Well, yes. It’s like how bits of dust covering your body don’t have any noticeable effects on your movements.

If you want a specified concrete limit, I’ll go ahead and input one. I’m not exactly a measurements master though, so providing a balanced limit that makes sense is difficult for me. Would seven times the body mass of her default body make sense?

I said “a few” times her body mass, so it’s pretty loose and flexible there. But it probably shouldn’t exceed seven, yes.

At close range, couldn’t I just as easily puncture a persons arm and boil them alive instead of touching a persons arm with an arm of water to do the same thing?

That’s sort of exactly what I said, so… Yes?

Immaterial Form only works on inanimate objects, meaning that it cannot affect living cells. As for magical creations by other characters, I assume that whether or not they will be affected depends on the magical control of the corresponding owner and Sophia’s selective choice.

Some “living” beings, like stone golems, aren’t organic. So for the purposes of “alive”, I’d say that something is alive if it is somehow bonded to a soul the way usual living bodies do. Also, what if she tries to turn an unclaimed magical artifact invisible? If it’s a magical nuke of world-shattering doom, I don’t think she can just turn something containing that much energy corporeal and incorporeal at will.

Flag Post

I finished the changes. Please check Thermal Manipulation, Water Control, and Immaterial Form to see if I still have more to add/change.

Well, yes. It’s like how bits of dust covering your body don’t have any noticeable effects on your movements.

I always complain to my teachers that I can’t make it in time to class because of the slowing effects of dust.

That’s sort of exactly what I said, so… Yes?

I’m kind of confused as to what the nerf is for if it does almost exactly what I intended it to do, but okay.

Flag Post

Sophia is accepted.

Also… Forgive me, but sometimes I get devourer359 and reaper765 confused. XD

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

You can burn a fire elemental to death…

Flag Post

If all you want to do is to derail the thread, Captain_Catface, all your posts in this thread will be flagged and ignored from now on. I don’t want to give you the Developous treatment, but it seems that I have no choice.

Flag Post

I’m just pointing out the horrific issues and/or absurdly idiotic things I see.

You know, like trying to kill a fire with fire.

Or trying to drown water.

Flag Post

You aren’t going to play the game anyways, so what does it matter to you? Your personal insults mean nothing to me, but it becomes annoying when you’re trying to disrupt my game as well.

A fire elemental has some body temperature. If it comes in contact with something with a higher temperature, it will feel hot and get damaged by the heat. There are also magical flames that damage the magic holding together the fire elemental’s body, regardless of the temperature of either combatant. For me, this is enough to justify how one can fight fire with fire. And this happens to be my game, not yours. If you think it’s horrible and/or absurdly idiotic, go find some other game and stop harassing me.

Also, you are presumptuous. I never said a creature made of water can drown. Drowning implies being unable to breathe, which implies that the drowned creature requires regular inhalations of the Nexus analogue of oxygen. It is not so with water-based creatures.

Flag Post

So, you’re implying that a creature with no physical body or nervous system (Fire Elemental) can feel and be burnt by heat; but a creature with no physical body or respiratory system (Water Elemental) cannot drown.

Implying that magical fire is going to damage a being made of… Semi-magical fire (Semi: See cosmology of the planes; as beings who are literally composed of fire, not otherwise possessing/controlling fire.) would imply that the magical fire is doing a mixture of damage types as per Elemental Admixture or various other metamagics; instead of pure fire. So; then your argument would be that the fire still isn’t harming the elemental, but the non-fire damage in the attack is.

Flag Post

So, you’re implying that a creature with no physical body or nervous system (Fire Elemental)

Presumptuous. Without an incorporeal equivalent of a nervous system, a fire elemental would not be sentient. Such a nervous system is composed of magical energy, but is nevertheless capable of emulating the five senses through some incorporeal equivalents of physical sensory organs. As such, it is capable of perceiving heat. There is also a certain range of temperatures in which the fire elemental’s incorporeal magical physiology can function properly, denoted by the elemental’s own range of body temperatures. Temperatures outside this range, such as fire hotter than the elemental’s body, will be harmful to the elemental.

but a creature with no physical body or respiratory system (Water Elemental) cannot drown.

Unlike humans, whose bodies are driven by the Nexus equivalent of cellular energy or ATP, water elementals are driven by magical energy entirely and thus have no need for a physical respiratory system. While humans require inhaling the Nexus equivalent of oxygen to drive their internal chemical reactions, elementals simply absorb magical energy from the environment to drive their internal magical reactions. The closest elemental analogue of drowning or suffocation is probably denying it of ambient magical energy, but that is more like starvation than anything else.

Implying that magical fire is going to damage a being made of… Semi-magical fire (Semi: See cosmology of the planes; as beings who are literally composed of fire, not otherwise possessing/controlling fire.)

Presumptuous again. A fire elemental is not literally made of fire. It is composed of a mass of phlogiston, the substance that flames are made of in the Nexus universe, interlinked by a network of magical energy, which includes the aforementioned magical incorporeal analogue of a nervous system.

magical fire is doing a mixture of damage types as per Elemental Admixture or various other metamagics; instead of pure fire. So; then your argument would be that the fire still isn’t harming the elemental, but the non-fire damage in the attack is.

Correct, but that is only half of my argument. The other half regarding heat damage is still valid.

Really, don’t act as though you understand how physics and biology works in my universe. Again, this isn’t D&D, nor is it real life. I never do anything that I cannot justify within my own laws of physics.