[SIGNUPS] [RP] Incarnatum Mȳthologiae [ALWAYS OPEN] page 4

599 posts

Flag Post

If it’s hotter than fire, it’s going to be a plasma effect, not a fire effect; and if you’re talking about ranges of chemical fires, where’s the logic behind magical effects creating types of flame that’re normally only found when burning certain materials, but a fire elemental not being composed of the same sort of fire? You’re going to lengths to argue for burning something which is in almost all canon immune to and composed of fire. If the fire elemental isn’t actually sentient flame (Fire being a release of energy; normally tied to their conduit with the elemental plane of fire as a source), but a body made of some material (On the prime material plane) which has enough potential energy to burn indefinitely would result in all magical fire potentially being an atomic bomb… And some process converting magical energy to flame for extended periods would result in fire effectively being a magical nullifier (And self-consuming the elemental’s magical field).

Twilight says vampires sparkle. Sure, it’s her setting and she’s decided that vampires sparkle… But anyone familiar with widely-accepted canon would say that she’s an imbecile and that vampires do not, in fact, sparkle. Vampires do not sparkle; and elementals are not magical jellyfish.

Flag Post

If it’s hotter than fire, it’s going to be a plasma effect, not a fire effect

…are you serious? You can have a fire that is 200 degrees Celsius, and another fire that is 1000 degrees Celsius. The second fire is obviously hotter than the first one, but it’s still fire.

if you’re talking about ranges of chemical fires, where’s the logic behind magical effects creating types of flame that’re normally only found when burning certain materials, but a fire elemental not being composed of the same sort of fire?

I was never talking about chemical fires, primarily because such chemicals do not exist in the Nexus universe. You see, in the Nexus universe things aren’t made of quarks, leptons, and various force-carrier bosons. The underlying particle physics for all matter and energy in my setting is fundamentally different from that of real life. I chose to do that because otherwise, it will be too difficult to reconcile magic and supernatural abilities with real-life physics. Don’t even argue about chemistry here, as most of the chemistry in the Nexus is only superficially similar to chemistry in real life, and subtly modified to make magical effects possible or at least plausible. Notice how I kept saying “the Nexus analogue of oxygen for the purposes of the Nexus analogue of respiration of the Nexus analogue of a human”, rather than just “oxygen”, because the thing we call oxygen in real life doesn’t exist in the Nexus. Do you really want me to write out a whole book about how chemistry behaves in a fictional universe I designed with alternate laws of physics?

You’re going to lengths to argue for burning something which is in almost all canon immune to and composed of fire.

“Almost all canon” means nothing to me, as this is my canon, not theirs.

If the fire elemental isn’t actually sentient flame (Fire being a release of energy; normally tied to their conduit with the elemental plane of fire as a source)

See, this is why I don’t want a fire elemental to be made of actual, real life fire. As you said, fire is a release of energy. It’s a process. You can’t be made of a process. It’s almost as awkward if you want to argue that it is made of heat and light, as heat is just microscopic motions of particles, and light oscillations in the electromagnetic field. Real life physics and magic don’t go together, which is why I’m forced to make up my own physics.

but a body made of some material (On the prime material plane) which has enough potential energy to burn indefinitely would result in all magical fire potentially being an atomic bomb… And some process converting magical energy to flame for extended periods would result in fire effectively being a magical nullifier (And self-consuming the elemental’s magical field).

You’re making a number of assumptions here.

First, you are assuming that phlogiston is a material that continually, unendingly releases energy, which is not so. Phlogiston is the energy released during combustion. It is one of the several fundamental types of elemental energy, manifesting itself in a certain form.

Second, you are assuming that what I mean by “energy” is the same thing as energy in real life, which is not so. In real life, energy is defined as the capacity to do work; work is a force multiplied by the distance it acts on (technically a path integral); force is the change in momentum over time; it mostly traces back to the quantity of momentum that is fundamental on a quantum level. Don’t ask me to define mass, as it’s defined in a variety of messy ways in particle physics and general relativity. However, that is not the definition of energy in the Nexus universe. In the Nexus, energy and mass are in fact the same thing; they are simply different modes of manifestation of the “information” that describes existence, sort of like code in a computer program. And they do not follow the E=mc^2 equation of mass-energy equivalence, as relativistic and quantum effects don’t even exist in the Nexus. While energy in the Nexus is certainly capable of doing work, it is a substance of its own right.

Third, you seem to be assuming that all types of magical energy are the same, and will all be consumed by fire, which is simply untrue. Is there only one type of matter in real life? Obviously not. There are many different types of energy in the Nexus, according to the Nexian definition of energy above. Hence, an elemental’s internal magic field is not composed of exactly the same type of energy that one uses to power, for example, a force bolt spell.

However, a fire elemental’s internal magic field can be burned. That’s sort of what happens when it encounters fire hotter than its body.

Twilight says vampires sparkle. Sure, it’s her setting and she’s decided that vampires sparkle… But anyone familiar with widely-accepted canon would say that she’s an imbecile and that vampires do not, in fact, sparkle. Vampires do not sparkle; and elementals are not magical jellyfish.

Vampires sparkle in Twilight canon. If I don’t like that, I simply won’t read the series; I will not bother trying to change the author’s mind regarding how vampires function in her universe. So as I said before, if you don’t like fire elementals being magical jellyfish in my setting, then don’t play my game! There are plenty of other games out there.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

@Firespread:

First, you’ve got to have a primary name. It can be “the Faceless Man” if nothing else; put N/A for other names then.

His willpower can be exceptionally strong, but there exist many who are at least equal to him. My antagonists, for example.

The strength to easily tear out someone’s heart has to be at least a basic creature ability, as I don’t think any human is that strong.

There exist plenty of things that can move his Black Wall against his will.

Abilities that are triggered whenever the victim looks at the ability user are disallowed (e.g. a gorgon’s petrifying gaze), because abilities like these really make no sense whatsoever within my system of laws of physics. You can use illusions to cover your face, but anything that affects another person’s mind requires mental contact via a probe of psychic energy. Also, instant death is bad; I really don’t need to explain this one much.

The fear is a mind-altering ability, and so can be resisted with willpower. Many humans, especially the antagonists, will be able to resist it.

If there’s something you’re not telling the public about your character, you must tell me via PM. I’d advise against going back to the earliest times when polymorph was first invented, as I have plans relevant to that time period that I do not want to reveal.

Helltank’s character is accepted.

1) Done
2) Okay.
3) I’ll change it if you say so, but since The Faceless Man uses no weapons I thought it appropriate. I can nerf that though.
4) By “Cannot be moved” I meant that The Faceless Man cannot move the wall, something else using force or magic against it could.
5) Removed. Will add in something else.
6) Okay.
7) Okay.

Flag Post

Primary Name: Nihil

Other Names: Tempore fugiente, omnia nihil fiunt. [This is the sentence engraved on his true form.]

Class: Shifter

Species: Animated Corundum. [Animated gemstones have appeared in RPGs, so I am not making this up.]

Gender: Male. His fragmented memories told him so, at least.

Age: He didn’t remember it. [Actually, he’s 966 years old.]

Human Appearance: Nihil is somehow short compared to other Shifters and Humans. Although he has an appearance of a 25-year-old guy, white hair grows atop of his head and white facial hair sprawls under his chin. His eyes reflect sunlight and shine with their own glory. He is slim, and his skin glows eerily under strong light.

True Appearance: A giant, floating corundum with a diameter of one human’s arm. Under sunlight, the refraction can easily blind the unprepared. On the corundum, the words HORA FUGIENTE OMNIA NIHIL FIUNT are engraved.

Personality: He is very afraid of socializing with others, because of his lack of confidence and self-esteem. In fact, he doesn’t even have a sense of identity because some ancient memories are constantly troubling him. As an animated gemstone, his self-awareness is already low and thus he has a trouble knowing who he is.

Skills:
- Telling dirty jokes: Nihil is a master of dirty jokes and sexual innuendos, although he doesn’t often show his prowess in front of others for obvious reasons.
- Maths: Nihil is capable of doing any kinds of maths very fast.

Spells and Abilities:
- Advanced spell:
Ion Storm: Nihil can call forth a cloud which rains down ball lightning, plasma balls and normal lightning.

Unseen Light: Nihil can shoot out an invisible high-energy beam which can cause disease. It penetrates light armour (but does not punch a hole on it). The full effect of the spell can kill a strong beast within 3 days, but careful healing can remove it. Thick armor (like metal platebody) can partially block the beam. Nihil must focus on the victim before striking, and magic-users can feel this “focus”. Nihil can’t focus on fast-moving objects but the beam will connect for sure once the target is fully focused on.

- Basic spells:
Ball Lightning: Shoot out a slow ball of lightning, which will shock conductors nearby.

Magnetic shield: It can make iron-containing weapons vibrate violently, deflect electric magics and shock fast-moving electrical conductors (aka creatures) in a 1m radius.

Basic Abilities:
Stasis: In his true form, he can defy gravity a bit and levitate himself. However, he can’t move himself in his true form, although he can be propelled with others’ help. In his true form, his magic is more potent and his physical defense is greater.

Refraction: In his true form, Nihil can refract light to form words on the ground, or focus light to blind enemies, etc. In his human form, this can only be done if a strong light source is near. This ability makes him has superior vision.

Camel endurance: In his human form, he must eat, but in his true form, he only needs water. In his true form, he will go into hibernation if he is very dehydrated, but revive when water is poured over him. He can store a great deal of nutrients and water inside his body for his human form’s use.

Possessions: None.

Faction: Utopia.

Biography: He only awakened recently. It seems that he was very powerful long time ago but forced into hibernation when he was mortally wounded in a great battle. Was he a human at that time? Or just an animated gemstone? He can’t remember.

Flag Post

Primary Name: Phirix-Therex

Other Names: Hephirix-Zatherex Ullulos (full taken name), Envoy of Entropy and Death (title), E(l)ric(a) Werlde (given name)

Class: Shifter

Species: Ice Dragon/Fire Demon

Gender: Nominally, Phirix-Therex would be genderless due to the incorporeal, and therefore primarily asexual, nature of his Fire Demon side, although a placeholder gender may well have arisen whilst in human form. However, by virtue of her Ice Dragon side, he is generally forced into a state of flux regarding her gender – at any time whilst outside of a Fire Demon form, he may end up having any given combination of typical sexually-defining traits for humanoid/draconian beings, and it is usually quite difficult for her to focus himself into a single gender for any given length of time.

Human Appearance: Three-quarters-Caucasian and one-quarter-Asian, with practically flawless skin; seems to be in early- to mid-twenties; usually about 180cm tall; hair is streaked such that an alternating brown/blonde pattern occurs; heterochromic eyes (one ice blue, the other deep red). Other distinguishing features shift constantly if not kept in check, due to a conflict between both sides of her nature. Clothing is a generic black shirt with one red sleeve and one blue sleeve, alongside generic grey jeans, black and white striped socks, and black trainers with white soles, all of which are unisex in nature.

True Appearance:
Ice Dragon: A dragon, of course, apparently made completely of ice, although in actuality, it is merely covered in translucent ice-blue scales that refract light in a strange manner so as to make the dragon itself appear to be seethrough (and the totally ice-coloured scalene eyes certainly don’t help others to see through the illusion). Due to size disparity between human and draconic bodies, the actual size of the dragon can vary to a great degree, with a minimum size that is just over that of a human on all fours, and a maximum size that is roughly thirty metres long from snout to tail, twelve metres tall from foot to top of head (or twelve-and-three-quarters, if one counts the slightly inward-curved horns), and around five-and-a-half metres from shoulder to shoulder, with a rather lean and slender build that still manages to be visibly muscular in all areas regardless of current gender, and still seems to tell the square-cube law to go screw itself at larger sizes. Speaking of “current gender”, the dragon’s build does change in concert with the sexual characteristic flux, but significantly less so than Phirix-Therex’s human form; occasionally it becomes slightly more muscular or more slender than usual appearance would dictate, but generally stays at what would be considered an androgynous build for a dragon. With regard to wings, the maximum span is around one hundred metres total, with a subsequent “widest point” on each wing of around twenty three metres.
Fire Demon: “Actually made out of fire” is the most important point here. Not normal fire, though; due to the nature of a demon as a being of shadow, and the additional incendiary exponent, these are dark red and black flames, with heat varying between that of room temperature, at about 18°C, and a temperature comparable to that of molten iron, at around 1500°C at the epicentre of such an almighty conflagration. And yet they will burn nearly anything, regardless of temperature. There is form to the flames, too – an androgynous humanoid torso atop a ghostly-looking wisp in the place of legs, all made of flames; the head of such a form is apparently featureless with regards to a face, although careful observation may reveal a creepy, flaming grin that contrasts with the surrounding fire, only appearing for a few seconds at a time on a recurring basis. It should be noted that, due to the asexual nature of this form, sexual characteristic flux does not occur, and the demon appears to be unerringly androgynous at all times.
Fusion: An apparently crystalline form similar in colour, and vaguely similar in appearance, to that of the Fire Demon form, with the same capabilities as it, alongside an ability to further reduce the temperature of the flames to -45°C and the ability to increase in size from a human scale, up to a maximum of three metres tall; however, the upper body is noticeably more muscular in nature, and the faceless, human-esque head is replaced with one of a distinctly draconic form, with purplish scalene eyes visible on the head. Additionally, draconic wings with a span of around seven metres apiece at their smallest sprout from the back, with a widest point of just under four metres.

Personality: Incredibly unstable due to already conflicting natures being, in effect, diametrically opposed to one another in terms of elemental alignment. One side of his personality is quite cold and logical in nature, and capable of significant acts of honour if she feels like performing them, despite a slightly haughty streak; the other side is violent unpredictable and, by proxy, somewhat hypocritical – for example, he is prone to making sexual plays at other beings, then becoming incredibly angry if they make similar plays back at her, then quietly apologising for his “other half”’s behaviour before leaving the area in a huff whilst calmly working out how such an exchange could have gone better. For obvious reasons, such attempts at self-monitoring go poorly at best.

Skills:
Human Form – A lot of dragons have an ability to enter a human form, even beyond the capabilities of a Shifter. Technically, Phirix-Therex falls within this number; however, due to the strange manifestation of his sexual characteristics whilst in a human form, she has to apply a bit of focus in order to keep himself in one fixed shape for any length of time, and even more to alter herself to a form of his liking. Having had a long time to practice this particular skill, though, she has mostly gained control over it, and can potentially keep a form indefinitely, although he will tend to become somewhat distracted whilst she does so.
Combat – Dragons and demons alike are generally skilled in combat. Three hundred years to potentially practice in tend to help with that, too. With that in mind, Phirix-Therex is quite a skilled combatant, both at range and in melee combat.
Dextrous Flight – As a rule, dragons and fire demons are both capable of flight. Phirix-Therex is a particularly skilled example of this ability, being capable of effectively turning on a point, even at maximum size in the seemingly ponderous Ice Dragon form.
Craftsmanship – Being half-dragon has the upside of giving a steady hand, an exquisite eye for detail and fantastic estimation of object value, with regards to both monetary pricing and emotional worth. Being no exception, Phirix-Therex has a good hand for creating valuable works of art – paintings, statuettes, chairs, you name it – and has more than once used this to turn a quick profit as an artisan of both high and average quality goods. Never poor quality, though. That would be an unforgivable offense.

Part 2 coming up.

Flag Post

Spells and Abilities:
Basic Spells
Temperate Aura – An invisible spherical field of energy surrounds Phirix-Therex to a diameter of five metres whilst this spell is active. Within this field, temperature can be raised or lowered as he feels is appropriate, given a certain amount of time to effect the change, whilst simultaneously giving her a relatively low amount of pseudo-telekinetic control over affected objects that are both non-living and uncontrolled by any other being, allowing him to cause flammable materials in the area to spontaneously combust without much prior indication, or to freeze water vapour into spears of ice that can then be remotely flung at an opponent, to give some examples. It is possible to affect beings and objects outside of the area of effect, up to seventy five metres away; however, this first requires focusing a certain amount of the aura into a (still invisible) beam, then launching the beam at a target within line of sight and, if necessary, overcoming any magical defenses that the target may have before any temperature changes can be initiated.
Energy Drain – Similar in design to the Temperate Aura, this spell creates an invisible spherical field with a diameter of five metres around Phirix-Therex when activated; within this field, energy is automatically dragged from the area into Phirix-Therex’s body (at an increased rate beyond that usually required for minimal sustenance, in the case of his Fire Demon or fused forms), leading to a weakening of spells and abilities belonging to others in the area, alongside sudden yet ultimately temporary weakness of their bodies, with a simultaneous increase in Phirix-Therex’s own supplies of energy, allowing her to sustain a firefight for longer or give him an increase in spell and ability effectiveness. Note that the aura of this spell cannot be focused into a beam, as it can with Temperate Aura, and that keeping the spell active for more than half an hour at a time without allowing drained energy to be used up in spells or abilities, or by her bodily functions, can lead to parts of his body spontaneously vaporising as the energy builds up in those areas, resulting in a loss of both that body part and the energy that caused the body part’s loss in the first place.

Advanced Spells
Reductor – Allows Phirix-Therex to launch beams of unaligned magical energy at an opponent from whatever body parts he might want to fire from, plain and simple. Whilst the power, size and subsequent energy concentration of the beams can be varied to a certain extent, the effect is invariably destructive – a maximum-power blast would likely evaporate a small number of medium-sized buildings, whereas minimizing concentration to an incredibly fine, low-power laser allows it to be used for detailed crafting of items such as statues or statuettes. Additionally, the nature of such beams allows them to bypass specific elemental resistances entirely, meaning that the only effective defenses for a being or object hit by a beam of a given concentration is either generic magical resistance or outright physical toughness. Obviously, such attacks require energy proportional to their power, and overuse of this ability will result in physical and magical weakness, and eventual unconsciousness if Phirix-Therex really pushes himself too hard.

Part 3 coming up.

Flag Post

Basic Abilities
Flight – As a dragon, Phirix-Therex has wings large enough to propel himself into the air. As an incorporeal demon, she is effectively weightless. Either way, he is quite capable of sustained flight over great distances.
Agelessness – Just a side effect of being both dragon and incorporeal demon, but both races have a tendency to be incredibly long-lived; additionally, upon returning to corporeality from the Fire Demon form, senescence of cells is reversed to an appropriate point, so as to keep both human and draconic bodies in peak physical and mental condition. Therefore, Phirix-Therex is effectively ageless, although certainly not immune to death by unnatural means.
Insulation – Demons and fire-based beings alike have a tendency to be far less susceptible to damage by fire and ice than many other beings, whilst ice dragons require that their scales shield them from extremes of temperature to allow them to function in the icy landscapes that they prefer to frequent. As a technical member of both of these parties, Phirix-Therex exhibits an unusual resistance to both very high and very low temperatures, even beyond the usual capabilities for ice dragons or fire demons, and especially so in his fused form.
Scales – Dragons have scales. Incredibly tough scales, hard enough to withstand tremendous impacts and energies whilst shielding the rest of the body from the majority of any harm dealt. Whilst utilising his Ice Dragon form, so does Phirix-Therex. These scales remain present whilst in the fused form; however, due to the incorporeal nature of her body whilst utilising such a form, they function only against attacks that would normally harm him in her Fire Demon form, as physical attacks can simply be phased around.
Ice Breath – Ice dragons obviously have breath weapons, just the same as other types of dragons. This particular type is a freezing cold wind with a fairly good range relative to Phirix-Therex’s current size, almost plasma-esque in its supercooled nature, and flecked with ice shards all through; it is quite capable of freezing solid most anything it contacts, and badly flaying or otherwise damaging anything it doesn’t, with a good chance of causing frostbite (or its magical equivalent) in either case. It should be noted that using this in the fused form will infuse the attack with dark flames as well, slightly lowering the effect of both ice and fire, but increasing the overall damage output on account of both effects bypassing a resistance to one only, and the stacking effects of both on top of that.
Enhanced Senses – Given that dragons require super-functional, well-protected facial orifices to consider the world around and below them as they fly, it makes sense that many of them have the senses granted to them from their various facial features enhanced so as to apply this effectively. With that in mind, a number of secondary features exist to assist with this task – in Phirix-Therex’s case, these include amplified eyesight, smell and hearing (and taste, by proxy of smell).
Nictitating Membranes – Adding to the effects of the dragon’s enhanced senses, translucent nictitating membranes, existing out of sight near the eyes, nostrils and ears, cover the various facial orifices during flight to prevent wind damage whilst maintaining visibility, hearing and breathing capabilities, but which can also reflexively move into place and alter themselves in response to a sudden assault on that particular sensory nodule – for instance, a sudden increase in ambient light going into the eye would trigger a movement and darkening of the “third eyelids” in order to potentially prevent being blinded by an attack, which is certainly a dangerous possibility when one’s eyes are significantly more sensitive than a human’s.
Deathpyre Body – Whilst in the guise of a fire demon, Phirix-Therex’s entire body consists of dark red and black flames, with a variable temperature between roughly room temperature, 18°C, and the melting point of iron, around 1500°C (this changes to between -45°C and 1500°C in the fused form). Without use of his advanced ability, these flames cannot be manipulated as if they were magical constructs, being bound to Phirix-Therex’s form; however, if allowed to directly contact a foe, they will burn upon just about anything for a fair amount of time, with even small amounts reducing most human-sized bodies to microscopic ash, but dealing less overall damage to flame-resistant, shadow-resistant, or otherwise very large beings and objects.
Incorporeality – A total lack of physical body has its perks. Primarily, these include an ability to ignore physical attacks by phasing around them, significant resistance to such attacks if they are not voluntarily phased around, and the ability to move at incredible speeds whilst ignoring gravity, all of which Phirix-Therex exhibits in Fire Demon form. However, it also has its downsides, namely a susceptibility to energy attacks that a corporeal demon would not have; on the other hand, such susceptibility is basically removed in Phirix-Therex’s fused form due to the presence of draconic scales giving a layer of additional protection.
Magical Sustenance – Beings of magic, such as Phirix-Therex’s Fire Demon and fused forms, do not require food, water, or even air to sustain themselves, as they leach magic from their surroundings to keep themselves going, potentially indefinitely. Note that this does not provide his attacks with additional power; it merely serves to give her an ability to survive without supplies of food or liquid, as well as the ability to ignore airborne diseases, poisons and the like.
Energetic Growth – Given that an incorporeal being’s body is basically composed entirely of magical energy, it is possible for such a being to, however quickly or slowly, regenerate injuries if they have been previously removed by directing magical energy toward the task. In Phirix-Therex’s case, such regeneration carries over to his physical form as well, allowing her to heal damage from any form by switching to Fire Demon or Fusion forms, potentially regrowing limbs as if injury had never been obtained. Incidentally, this also causes his skin to become free of physical marring such as freckles, spots, and even body hair if so desired, giving it a flawless appeal.

Advanced Abilities
Deathpyre Constructs – Utilising a similar concept to the flames that make up his body, Phirix-Therex can formulate constructs made out of the same substance, which can be as simple as a fireball or, by virtue of draconian eye for detail, as complex as a clockwork android, although more complex constructs have a tendency to be proportionally more fragile in terms of magical structure, for obvious reasons. As a rule, said constructs are autonomous in nature, needing no more instruction than, say, “fly towards something” or “explode on impact” in order to function; however, more complex instructions can also be given, and, if so desired, Phirix-Therex can take control of a construct remotely, although doing so requires that she focus on controlling the construct, thereby leaving his body open to harm; additionally, beyond a certain distance, remote control loses precision as the construct moves further away from Phirix-Therex, and whilst her mind is significantly less susceptible to assault through the construct than via direct methods, it is often more useful to attack an opponent directly or just give the construct initial orders to carry out. Obviously, this ability initially uses energy dependent on the construct’s size; constructs can be absorbed to regain their energy, with individual constructs being capable of sustaining themselves on ambient magical energy for a very long time if Phirix-Therex wishes them to, but energy that is not reabsorbed takes time to regenerate, with the outcome that overuse of this ability will result in physical and magical weakness, and eventual unconsciousness if Phirix-Therex really pushes himself too hard.

Part 4 coming up.

Flag Post

Possessions: Half-Aether Knife – An ordinary-looking, straight-edged steel blade roughly twenty five centimetres in length that has been enchanted, such that it is capable of shifting into incorporeality with its owner if the owner is capable of doing so, and subsequently repairing itself into its original form if damage to the weapon is obtained outside or inside of incorporeality. Phirix-Therex has found it surprisingly useful for dealing with cocky magi who believe they can easily kill him, only to find their opponent has burst into flames, moved behind them, turned back into a human, then backstabbed them with a knife that should have turned to slag after she set herself on fire, all in the space of a second or so; interestingly enough, it also acts as a useful short-range weapon against elementals and other incorporeal beings due to its status as an energy-type weapon when transformed.

Faction: Primarily Neutral; minor affiliation with Draconian Accord; very minor affiliation with Hordes of Ruin.

Biography: Love is a strange force – whilst it can be highly positive in nature, frequently, it rather obscures one’s vision of a person as they truly are, and occasionally causes the affected to make decisions that would usually be considered stupid. This does tie in somewhere along the way, so keep it in mind. Anywho, Phirix-Therex’s father Peregrine Werlde was a Shifter and ice dragon both, and for whatever reason, he one day decided to enter the Undersphere. For the most part, he remained rather unmolested; only two beings actually deigned to communicate with him, and the first was frozen, then shattered for his impudence.
The second was apparently destined to become his wife – Flaeris, an incorporeal fire demon, and also a Shifter, with a female disguise. Despite the obvious disparity between an ice-based race and a fire-based species, the two found each other’s human forms physically attractive enough to not kill each other immediately, and shortly struck up an acquaintanceship of sorts, deigning to travel through the world with one another for the time being, seeing as how it was beneficial for the both of them to be in a group, as opposed to alone. Many months, and a large, large amount of time put into their relationship later, they had progressed from acquaintances to friends, and from there to “friends with benefits”, against the advice of everyone they’d inform. Ultimately, fate conspired for them to actually fall in love – this is where the whole first sentence comes into play – and they settled down to have children. More specifically, three children. The first was born female, and an ice dragon; the second, a fire demon with a female human form, but an otherwise asexual true form due to her parent’s influence.
The last could not be described as anything other than a freak of nature. Born as both dragon of chill and demon of flame, separated into two halves of the same being, the child was one of those oddities of nature with two true forms. As if that wasn’t bad enough, the conflictual nature of sexual and asexual features between the two forms resulted in an entirely amorphous gender – less visible as a young child, but incredibly so during the puberty cycle of Eric – or Elrica, depending on what side of the gender line he currently inhabited. Ultimately, this, alongside her alternately predictable and chaotic patterns of behaviour, resulted in him leaving home at the young age of fifteen, despite her parent’s pleadings. Striking out on his own as an artist and artisan, she has spent the last three hundred and seven years doing just about nothing useful. Relatively rare combats have occurred, true, and he has admittedly built up quite a name for himself from them, moreso than anything else.
In hushed tones, Beast and Magi alike refer to her as Hephirix-Zatherex, Envoy of Entropy and Death. Flaming, freezing death.

Flag Post

arkenarken looks at BCLEGENDS’s character sheet…

I feel sorry for you Blood_Shadow for needing to read all that…

Flag Post

{ The magi factions have some religious ring to them. I want to make a faction where a group of Magi want to kill chaotic evil people, and other generally evil people, but leave lawfully good beasts (sometimes) and shapeshifters alone, for they do no harm. However, if I did make that faction, I’d have no name, and I’d be the only one in it. D: }

Flag Post

Try the Church of Light. They’re pacifists, but you can probably manipulate them into doing the killings.

Don’t try to screw around with the Magus Mechanicle, from what I’ve heard, they’re zealots. Zealots cannot be manipulated.

Flag Post

@Pulsaris: Some of your spells are overpowered.

First, look at the third post of this thread to see why speeding up or slowing down time is overpowered and difficult to nerf; it mainly concerns what happens if an object is caught in the edge of your time field. Even not considering that, 30000000x is downright ridiculous, and you’ll have to literally be a god to have that much of an effect on time. For now, I want to disallow time-manipulating spells and abilities altogether, unless it’s something simple like slightly speeding up yourself and only yourself.

Unseen Light… You seem to be implying that the spell is armor-piercing (hard to block), invisible (hard to dodge), and permanently reduces the target’s life span, which is a bit too powerful. It should be at least visible, and only inflicts a removable magical curse that causes its victim to constantly bleed out life energy and will kill the victim if not removed within a certain number of days. It will take longer to kill a stronger opponent, and there exist quite a few spells that can remove such curses.

Everything else is mostly fine. But I’d imagine that an animated gemstone only needs to absorb magical energy from the environment, or maybe energy from sunlight; it seems kind of strange that it needs water as well.

I feel sorry for you Blood_Shadow for needing to read all that…

It’s not that bad. I’m fine with profiles that long, and I’ve already discussed extensively with BC to work out most of the problems of his character.

Don’t try to screw around with the Magus Mechanicle, from what I’ve heard, they’re zealots. Zealots cannot be manipulated.

Except zealots are very easily manipulated if you’re the leader of their religion.

Also, I will edit my character’s profile slightly. Some details need to be added regarding her basic abilities.

@All players: I have two questions for you all.

1. It seems to me that Captain_Catface is trying to give me a hard time, because he doesn’t like me. I’m only answering all of his questions because I thought that you, the players, might be interested in seeing those questions answered. But do you guys actually care? Do you really want to know how magic functions at a subatomic level, and how the physiologies of various magical beings are put together? While I’d gladly explain many things about my setting and laws of physics, my explanations may be long, complicated, and confusing to those who don’t have some background knowledge in some relatively advanced fields of physics, math, and sciences in general; I’m a little worried about these things scaring away potential players. If you guys don’t want to know, I’d rather just ignore his questions and save myself some time.

2. I will start the game tomorrow. How do you guys want the game to be like in the beginning? Do you want me to get to the main plot-driving conflict as soon as possible, or would you rather take it slowly and work on your own subplots for some time?

Flag Post

I’m very interested in the physics of magic. Like you, I have my own intricately crafted system of physics for using magic within my worlds(such as Fell).

I like to dodge the “ITS INVISIBLE YOU CAN’T SEE IT SO I CAN SNEAK ATTACK YOU” glitch by writing that “Magic is willpower manifested into a physical form; therefore all spells have a physical form, whether visible or invisible”. So you can just cast a simple spell to detect invisible magic.

Flag Post

I would like for the plot and conflict to start off fast.

Flag Post

You won’t scare me away, that much I can assure you, although I bypass the arguments because after some reading, I can’t keep up with it. I don’t see why others can’t do the same though.

As far as plot, I vote to get straight to it as soon as possible. Some people may lose interest, or get bored.

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

Try the Church of Light. They’re pacifists, but you can probably manipulate them into doing the killings.

{ I’m a fan of your posts. }

1. It seems to me that Captain_Catface is trying to give me a hard time, because he doesn’t like me. I’m only answering all of his questions because I thought that you, the players, might be interested in seeing those questions answered. But do you guys actually care? Do you really want to know how magic functions at a subatomic level, and how the physiologies of various magical beings are put together? While I’d gladly explain many things about my setting and laws of physics, my explanations may be long, complicated, and confusing to those who don’t have some background knowledge in some relatively advanced fields of physics, math, and sciences in general; I’m a little worried about these things scaring away potential players. If you guys don’t want to know, I’d rather just ignore his questions and save myself some time.

2. I will start the game tomorrow. How do you guys want the game to be like in the beginning? Do you want me to get to the main plot-driving conflict as soon as possible, or would you rather take it slowly and work on your own subplots for some time?

{ 1. C_C… I can care less. He’s being a douche to be a douche. You, Blood_Shadow, seem to know a lot of physics, so I’m going to assume it’s safe to say that you’ll always be right in that subject. }

{ 2. I’d love it if a huge fight broke out and EVERYONE fought (find a way for the beast characters to want to fight) and then, after working together, everyone has a huge stand off and everyone thinks, “Well, shit. ____ is naturally my enemy, but he/she isn’t like I thought…” And then, possibly, we can has friendship and kill more stuff. Subplots need to be thought out during big events. PMs = Subplots. Never start out slow. Never. }

{ 2b. Also, after starting fast, anyone quitting or inactive by the time of the standoff can just be killed by someone else or lasting effects of the battle. _ }

Flag Post

I can haz accept?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Firespread:

I can haz accept?

Sure, but you still need to fix your strength thing. No human is strong enough to tear out someone’s heart without stopping unless he uses some sort of strength-enhancing spell.

Also, I will start the game by crashing one of the giant Utopian floating cities to the ground. That dramatic enough?

Flag Post

But do you guys actually care? Do you really want to know how magic functions at a subatomic level, and how the physiologies of various magical beings are put together?

It’s not something that I find necessary for you to post, but I do find it interesting to read as well as clarifying about the game itself.

I’m a little worried about these things scaring away potential players.

Honestly, a person that’s scared of reading and thinking probably shouldn’t be playing a RP. As for those that just don’t have the time to read or something, I agree with Xandrya in that people should have the capability of filtering through text.

How do you guys want the game to be like in the beginning? Do you want me to get to the main plot-driving conflict as soon as possible, or would you rather take it slowly and work on your own subplots for some time?

I think that the conflict should be introduced soon, but not instantly. We should be given a short amount of time (perhaps a few days) to introduce and flesh out our characters before anything happens. I feel that the game becomes a little awkward if the plot takes a while to get out, as the players have no real reason to interact with each other. If I wanted to flesh out a subplot alone, I would just write a story.

so I’m going to assume it’s safe to say that you’ll always be right in that subject.

Isn’t it almost never a good idea in science to say that something is absolutely correct :P?

Flag Post

Also, I will start the game by crashing one of the giant Utopian floating cities to the ground. That dramatic enough?

Sounds good to me.

Flag Post

Fuck yeah, I guess Vinyl will be traveling when he sees it and investigate.

Flag Post

{ Make sure you have an enemy do it, and possibly some minor mininions, like a huge golem and mini golems? }

Flag Post

I am assuming i would probably hear the crash from the undersphere and come up to investigate what that sound was.
that would be loud enough wouldn’t it?

Flag Post

{ I should make a second character, hmm…Maybe a human with the magic ability to summon puppets to fight… }

{ I should count the number of each beast so I can try to even it out… }

Flag Post

By the way, the players will have to travel seperately because I can assure you that Cogito Ergo Sum will instantly attack any and all non-human beings until either they are dead or he is physically unable to. So if say, Rosalyn were to go within 5 miles of Cogito she will be under attack and a massive fight will occur.