[SIGNUPS] [RP] Incarnatum Mȳthologiae [ALWAYS OPEN] page 6

599 posts

Flag Post

Pulsaris is accepted.

@Adeeb:

First, as Arken said, there is no such thing as “immunity” in my world. She can be extremely resistant to poison to the point of being virtually immune, but not actually immune. But yes, most poisons can have negligible effect on her.

The effectiveness of metal manipulation should drop rapidly the more foreign magic the target contains, and even more rapidly if the target contains a soul. She could have spent a long time mixing her magic with that of her scimitars so that the magic in those scimitars are no longer foreign to her; she can then manipulate them with ease. There also exist ways of magical shielding that can block off some or all of the magic that she exerts to try to manipulate the metal inside the shielding.

The Pact… has some problems.
First, I’d prefer if it only works on living targets, i.e. targets that have souls; inorganic creatures like stone golems are considered to be living in this case. Because for nonliving targets, there is really no good definition of a “single” or “whole” object, or when an object can be counted as “destroyed”.
Second, she should only be able to form a pact through physical contact. No ignoring distance and everything. The pact will only form after a period of prolonged contact, depending on the power difference between her and the target; stronger targets take longer to form pacts with. Forming a pact requires her to mingle her magical energy with that of her target’s, so the target can resist it. Even after the pact forms, the target can still forcibly break the pact if it has enough willpower.
If Sana and the target of her pact are separated, they will both start taking damage and experience physical forces that try to pull them toward each other. The force and damage increase with distance, and asymptotically approach some maximum values determined by Sana’s power level as distance approaches infinity. Yes, having more power means she takes more damage, but more power means more HP as well so it balances out. If Sana and her target have different power levels, the stronger one will take less damage and experience less force, and the weaker one more, with the sum of forces and damage always being the aforementioned limiting value as separation distance approaches infinity. So if the two are of equal power, then they take the same damage and experience the same force; if the target has zero power then it takes all the damage and force while Sana takes none. Yes, the math might be a bit complicated, but I had to be careful to make sure that nothing blows up to infinity.
If the target travels far away from Sana, then the aforementioned physical force is the only thing that attempts to pull it toward Sana. The pact should not be able to compel the target to utilize its method of travel, e.g. teleportation, to go back to Sana, nor should it be able to force the travelling method to activate.
You don’t have to put this in, but it would make sense that Sana’s body instinctively breaks off the pact if she starts taking too much damage from physical separation.
She should only be able to form one pact at a time. If she wants to form a pact with a second target, she must break off the first pact. It should also be possible that if the first target has exceptionally strong willpower, it will be capable of “holding on” to the pact by force and preventing Sana from breaking it off.
The pact is a magical link. I assume it’s invisible, but it can still be detected by magical means. The magic in the link weakens with distance. Hence, if Sana or her target is put into a container that partially or completely insulates magic, the link will be weakened, and act as though physical separation has taken place.
It is possible for a third party to break the pact, by somehow severing the magical link between Sana and her target. The weaker the link, i.e. the greater their physical separation, the easier it is to sever.

Sana’s enchanted scimitars cannot be indestructible. If you want to achieve something that is close, you have two options. One is that the scimitars simply absorb ambient magic to repair themselves from damage. The second is that there are magical barriers coating the scimitars, which must be destroyed before the scimitars themselves can be damaged, though some magic may be capable of partially slipping through them; the barriers can be regenerative as well. You can use both options too.

BC’s character is finished, and accepted.

Originally posted by Minnakht:

Oh, fuck me.

I’d really rather not, being heterosexual and all.

I’ll make the game thread right now. Usually I’d make an introductory post, but I don’t think I have time for it right now before my next class starts.

Flag Post

Oops. I forgot to address Arken’s post.

All of your changes are accepted, yes. However, I want to add that it is possible for the person you possess to display a surge of willpower and force you out, if you do something to provoke such a reaction like using his body to attack his loved ones while forcing him to watch.

Flag Post

I am Blood_Shadow’s alt.

Primary Name: Christopher

Other Names: Christopher Athánatos, and variations on the name, generally meaning “Christopher the Deathless”.

Class: Shifter.

Species: Munchkin. Indeterminate; see Spells and Abilities for more details.

Age: He doesn’t remember how long he has been alive for, but he does know that it is an extremely long time.

Human Appearance: Christopher normally wears a long, tattered, gray hooded cloak that hides his appearance. Sometimes he’d conjure a mask to cover his face, sometimes he’d use magic to block out attempts at detecting his true appearance, but other times he simply doesn’t care. Underneath the cloak he wears plain, nondescript drab gray and brown clothing, sometimes dirty and torn but other times fresh and clean. He has medium height, lightly tanned skin, an athletic but not overly muscular build, and a mess of short but spiky brown hair. His eyes, however, are a bright, piercing, inhuman yellow, with illusions of other colors and images occasionally dancing amid their depths; as a result they are quite unsettling to look at.

True Appearance: Indeterminate and highly variable. See Spells and Abilities for more details.

Personality: In a nutshell, Christopher is pretty batshit insane, but… Well, that doesn’t really cover it, so I’ll elaborate.
For starters, he hears voices in his head, many voices that are his own yet not his own. They keep whispering and screaming at him, telling him to do many things, things that few with any shreds of human decency and sanity will do, things that conflict with his very nature and with themselves. He can and does frequently block out these voices; but it is always temporary; soon they will inevitably return in vengeance and madness. Occasionally the voices get the better of him, causing him to lash out at his surroundings, but during such fits he usually attempts to find release someplace where he can’t hurt anything… much. Usually.
Second, he’s also extremely bitter. He is absolutely disgusted by the vile, twisted state the planet is in, by all the selfishness and greed and hatred and suffering that pollutes the supposedly once-great Worldsphere. He knows that he possesses immense power, yet he vaguely remembers fragments of the countless times he tried and failed to make any difference before; any difference he did make invariably made things even worse. In addition to this overpowering despair, he also feels a deeply rooted, heart-wrenching guilt. Perhaps he blames himself for being so powerful yet so powerless to help the world… but there seems to be something else to it. He also remembers atrocities he has committed in the past, and they always haunt him. In any case, he sometimes will reach out to help if he sees someone in trouble or danger, but other times he will simply laugh bitterly and say that it will make no difference in the end anyways.
Third, he doesn’t exactly thinks of life as a pleasant or worthwhile experience. These suicidal impulses come and go, wax and wane, but they are almost always lurking in the back of his mind. However, he remembers trying to end his own life before, many times, and failing every single time, each time further tearing his mind and sanity apart. It does not help that many of the voices in his head want to stop at nothing to ensure his survival.

Skills:
- Lore: Christopher holds within his memories an almost encyclopedic knowledge of virtually every form of magic and species of creature. While he may not be capable of using all these magic by himself, he knows how to counter them with what he can use.
- Combat: Christopher has the kind of grasp on nigh every form of combat that can be only borne of centuries of experience. He may not consciously remember these experiences, but they are firmly engraved into muscle memory. Few, if any at all, has the skills needed to even fight on par against him in a fair fight.
- Survival: Similar to the above, Christopher has the skills and experience that gives him a decent chance of survival in almost any situation and environment. He may not consciously remember all of it, but there are few things that can surprise him.
- Insanity: Any entity trying to touch or affect Christopher’s mind in any way will be immediately deterred at least by some degree by the chaotic, maddening whirls that are his thoughts and instincts. They will be seriously disturbed at best, and downright horrified at worst.

Spells and Abilities:

Advanced Spells:

- True Polymorph: Simply put, this spell allows Christopher to change his true form. He can transform into virtually any creature he has a sufficient understanding of, as well as mix and match any number of traits from any number of different creatures into one body; additional mass will be created from or converted to his internal magical energy. However, there are only so many basic abilities he can cram into a single body; trying to squeeze in more will cost him energy and result in only a temporary form. Note that no matter how many basic abilities he has, Christopher’s raw power level stays the same. Also, each time his true form is altered, his mind fragments, but his mind is already so broken that it virtually makes no difference… Or was it this very spell that broke him in the first place?

Basic Spells:

- False Creation: Christopher can, out of his magical energy, conjure into existence any physical object or substance he can picture in his mind. These creations can have almost any combination of physical, chemical, and magical properties Christopher can imagine, to some reasonable limits; this spell can never break any of the rules regarding spells and abilities. These constructs can be manipulated and further changed at will, though increasing distance requires more focus to perform any task. The constructs also cannot be too complex, as Christopher will not be capable of picturing them in his mind. He may be able to replicate some spells and magical artifacts but not, for example, the latest magitech developed by Magus Mechanicle. Once conjured, these creations require no energy but a constant mental focus to maintain, depending on how many of them there are and how complex; they will dissipate back into formless magical energy if Christopher’s focus is disrupted or otherwise stopped. Once dissipated, the energy composing a construct is lost to Christopher, and must be recovered the normal way all humans and creatures recover energy. But before it dissipates, Christopher can absorb a construct back into himself, with only minimal loss in energy. The maximum number, power, and complexity of objects he can conjure is obviously limited by Christopher’s magical power and mental focus; overuse of this spell will lead to both mental and physical exhaustion.

- Telepathy: This is virtually the same as the telepathy belonging to my other character, Rosalyn Lightfell. However, Christopher is far more skilled with this spell, capable of crushing the minds of weak-willed enemies with ease or bending them to his will. Simple contact with his mind is usually harmful, as few can withstand the broken and deranged state Christopher’s consciousness is in. Combined with his knowledge of magic, there are few things Christopher’s telepathy cannot detect and analyze. He can also block off virtually anything that may want to alter his mind in any way, and those few that do get through are almost always drowned away by his own insanity.

Basic Abilities: Indeterminate and highly variable, because of his True Polymorph spell. The one basic ability that he most frequently uses is the ability to teleport to any location in his memory, obtained from a tengu or some other teleporting creature, though this will consume massive amounts of energy if he tries to do many times in rapid succession; standard limitations to teleportation also apply.

Advanced Abilities:

- Extreme Regeneration: Christopher will, in any of his forms, rapidly heal from almost any and all injuries, and rid himself of almost any and all negative status effects; virtually all attempts at suppressing or negating healing and regeneration will be almost immediately purged by this ability. Even if parts of his physical body are obliterated, these lost body parts will quickly reform themselves out of the energy that once constituted them, or simply out of Christopher’s own internal energy reserves. However, if the damage Christopher receives reaches some critical value determined by his power level, the regeneration will fail to completely recover everything that constitute his existence, and Christopher will undergo a sort of “Rebirth”. This is similar to the Doctor’s regenerations in Doctor Who, and probably the Nameless One’s resurrections in Planescape: Torment, though I can’t be sure since I haven’t played the game.
After each Rebirth, Christopher will obtain a new personality, or incarnation, which may be similar or radically different from his previous one. Some of his memories may be twisted or forgotten. A fragment of his previous incarnation may or may not remain in his mind; this is probably where all the voices in his head come from. These fragments can twist, split, and merge with one another, and it is even possible for them to, temporarily or permanently, take over the body, becoming the dominant personality again. His power level may or may not change after each Rebirth. It cannot exceed his true maximum, and any decrease in power simply means the lost power is subconsciously hidden away and inaccessible to the current personality, though it is possible to unlock the additional power. Lastly, each incarnation may have certain preferences of what forms to take using True Polymorph and what things to conjure using False Creation; the current incarnation prefers a form that resembles as closely to a human as possible, and blasts of electricity and kinetic force as his main methods of attack.
Because of the game’s rules, there must exists something powerful enough to deal so much damage that it completely overwhelms Christopher’s regeneration and kills him. He, being an occasional death-seeker, obviously hasn’t found such a thing yet.

Possessions: Nothing of significance, as almost anything he needs can be conjured.

Faction: Neutral.

Biography: Christopher only remembers fragments of his life, a long, long life filled with much suffering and despair. He nearly died and was Reborn so many times that he lost count some centuries ago. He is totally incapable of recalling anything that happened before about a hundred years after when the polymorph spell was invented, nor anything related to his first incarnation. Having seen so much and failed so frequently to change the world for the better, even if he doesn’t remember all of it, Christopher walks the Worldsphere aimlessly today, little more than a hollow shell that occasionally lashes out in fits of destructive madness.

I admit, Christopher’s spells and abilities are such that I will never allow a player to have them, because I can only trust myself to not break any of the rules while using such spells and abilities. I know what I’m doing; Christopher is extremely powerful but certainly not powerful enough to ruin the conflict of the story. And yes, I have a plan. I always have a plan.

But in any case, don’t piss Christopher off unless you’re feeling suicidal.

Flag Post

Confirming that JohnSolaris is indeed my alt.

I was going to make a character post today, but writing up Christopher’s profile ended up taking all the time…

Flag Post

Okay, time to see what B_S wants me to change.

First, as Arken said, there is no such thing as “immunity” in my world. She can be extremely resistant to poison to the point of being virtually immune, but not actually immune. But yes, most poisons can have negligible effect on her.

Done. I changed the name as well. Now, the complete immunity is to her own poison, and poisons weaker than hers.

The effectiveness of metal manipulation should drop rapidly the more foreign magic the target contains, and even more rapidly if the target contains a soul.

I mentioned that beings will be harder to manipulate (though “having souls” is a better wording). The foreign magic bit is also going to be added right now.

First, I’d prefer if it only works on living targets, i.e. targets that have souls; inorganic creatures like stone golems are considered to be living in this case. Because for nonliving targets, there is really no good definition of a “single” or “whole” object, or when an object can be counted as “destroyed”.

Hmm. Good point.

I think I can edit it so that the non-living object is counted as “destroyed” the moment it leaves the effective range, unlike living objects which exert that Pact pull thing. If it enters the effective range again, the Pact needs to be reestablished with the object. Does that work? I like the idea of a special pet rock. Will edit it in if you say it’s okay.

Second, she should only be able to form a pact through physical contact. No ignoring distance and everything. The pact will only form after a period of prolonged contact, depending on the power difference between her and the target; stronger targets take longer to form pacts with.

Oh, alright. That makes sense.

Forming a pact requires her to mingle her magical energy with that of her target’s, so the target can resist it. Even after the pact forms, the target can still forcibly break the pact if it has enough willpower.

Still works for me. I just realized that I never gave the target any chance to leave the Pact of its own will.

If Sana and the target of her pact are separated, they will both start taking damage and experience physical forces that try to pull them toward each other. The force and damage increase with distance, and asymptotically approach some maximum values determined by Sana’s power level as distance approaches infinity. Yes, having more power means she takes more damage, but more power means more HP as well so it balances out.

Very sensible. I need to work on my wording.

Yes, the math might be a bit complicated, but I had to be careful to make sure that nothing blows up to infinity.

’Course not. I thought it would be a good preventive measure against Teleportation. It probably still is, in a more limited scope.

You don’t have to put this in, but it would make sense that Sana’s body instinctively breaks off the pact if she starts taking too much damage from physical separation.
She should only be able to form one pact at a time. If she wants to form a pact with a second target, she must break off the first pact. It should also be possible that if the first target has exceptionally strong willpower, it will be capable of “holding on” to the pact by force and preventing Sana from breaking it off. The pact is a magical link. I assume it’s invisible, but it can still be detected by magical means. The magic in the link weakens with distance. Hence, if Sana or her target is put into a container that partially or completely insulates magic, the link will be weakened, and act as though physical separation has taken place. It is possible for a third party to break the pact, by somehow severing the magical link between Sana and her target. The weaker the link, i.e. the greater their physical separation, the easier it is to sever.

I should have made you write this ability in my place, gah

Okay, I will edit my post to include all of this, because I haven’t got a problem with most of them. I even thought that it would naturally be possible to form only one Pact, but didn’t really mention it in the profile.

Actually, I’d like to alter the ability a bit more (risking more corrections as well) so that the geographical limit is set at the time of formation (I will have to figure out a limit for that too as ‘small’ doesn’t convey much) and the Pact now has a healing effect within the geographical limit. The healing effect is the inverse of the damaging effect in that the strength of the healing increases the closer the target is. The other features of the pact remain as they are. Can you check the ability out again and forgive me for plagiarizing you repeatedly?

Sana’s enchanted scimitars cannot be indestructible. If you want to achieve something that is close, you have two options. One is that the scimitars simply absorb ambient magic to repair themselves from damage. The second is that there are magical barriers coating the scimitars, which must be destroyed before the scimitars themselves can be damaged, though some magic may be capable of partially slipping through them; the barriers can be regenerative as well. You can use both options too.

I like the second one, because it goes with my original plan.

Also, now that I think of it, I will always be in need of some friends. I should have thought of being a Shifter :p

Also, added Animal Language to Skills. It doesn’t involve Parseltongue levels of control, but helps to carry her message across the animals a bit better. Whether the animals do listen to her depends on whether they are inclined to obey.

Flag Post

{ Too many shifters. I was hoping for more beasts and Magi. }
{ Should Dawn be good, or bad? }

Flag Post

Which factions are people in?

Flag Post

[Looking for anyone in The Hordes of Ruin to meet with and possibly have a small battle, then reconciliate and form an alliance.]

Flag Post
Originally posted by Xandrya:

[Looking for anyone in The Hordes of Ruin to meet with and possibly have a small battle, then reconciliate and form an alliance.]

[Hephirix-Zatherex has a minor affiliation with the Hordes of Ruin. If the shop he’s in now isn’t the same one as the one Dawn is in, we could have a fight.]

Flag Post
Originally posted by BCLEGENDS:
Originally posted by Xandrya:

[Hephirix-Zatherex has a minor affiliation with the Hordes of Ruin. If the shop he’s in now isn’t the same one as the one Dawn is in, we could have a fight.]

[Works for me.]

Flag Post

a

Screw this. If you want me to play this game, cook me up a character. Doesn’t matter what will it be. I might play it or not.

Flag Post

I think I can edit it so that the non-living object is counted as “destroyed” the moment it leaves the effective range, unlike living objects which exert that Pact pull thing. If it enters the effective range again, the Pact needs to be reestablished with the object. Does that work? I like the idea of a special pet rock. Will edit it in if you say it’s okay.

How about this. There are two types of pacts Sana can form, one for living targets and the other for nonliving targets. When a living target dies, its pact degrades to that of a nonliving target; Sana will still be bonded to the target’s corpse. The target of a nonliving pact will have to be a solid object, because the object is considered to be destroyed when its particles aren’t attached to one another with sufficient strength. Shapeshifting solid objects are fine, but not liquids or gases. This also means that if Sana forms a pact with some sort of liquid or gas creature, and the creature dies, the pact will dissolve completely because the creature’s corpse is counted as immediately destroyed when it disperses upon death.

As for the differences between the two kinds of pacts… Maybe her advanced abilities are weaker while pacted with a nonliving target?

Actually, I’d like to alter the ability a bit more (risking more corrections as well) so that the geographical limit is set at the time of formation (I will have to figure out a limit for that too as ‘small’ doesn’t convey much) and the Pact now has a healing effect within the geographical limit.

A healing effect is fine… Except the energy for healing has to come from somewhere. Christopher’s uber healing recycles energy that used to constitute his destroyed body parts, but even that has a limit; damage him enough and he’ll be Reborn. I’m not allowing any players to have a healing ability of that degree. So if you want healing, the energy has to be drawn from Sana’s internal energy reserves.

As for the geographical limit, it makes sense to me that it’s dependent on Sana’s power level. If she forms a pact while she was weak, then gets stronger, she should now be able to support a pact at greater a distance, even if the pact was formed when she was weaker.

Everything else is mostly fine. And I have to admit, even I didn’t think of Sana forming a pact with herself. I need to touch up my munchkin skills. But technically, if it’s a future version of herself that somehow travelled to this time period, or somehow her soul is cloned (FYI both such events are extremely difficult and unlikely), she can still form a pact with her alternate self. If she develops a split personality or something, she can’t pact with it, unless the alternate personality physically breaks off with her (i.e. splitting her soul, which is incredibly traumatic).

a

Screw this. If you want me to play this game, cook me up a character. Doesn’t matter what will it be. I might play it or not.

No offense, but I can probably do without you. You aren’t that valuable.

Flag Post

Very well. Do without me if you wish. I’m tired of chargen, especially when it’s long with a high rejection rate.

Flag Post

Would like to request that The Faceless Man is stronger in the shadows, and they hide him and make him more powerful as well as being able to manipulate shadows around and into medium physical objects, at the expense of being much weaker, slower, and more visible in light. I’ll be playing most of the game in the Shadows, and The Faceless Man spent pretty much his entire existence there, being essentially a creature of the night and the shadows.

Flag Post

Very well. Do without me if you wish. I’m tired of chargen, especially when it’s long with a high rejection rate.

You know, you could just import Zircon Magnetite from Reclaim. But his species would be a magnetite golem, not a Prachettian troll made of magnetite.

Originally posted by Firespread:

Would like to request that The Faceless Man is stronger in the shadows, and they hide him and make him more powerful as well as being able to manipulate shadows around and into medium physical objects, at the expense of being much weaker, slower, and more visible in light. I’ll be playing most of the game in the Shadows, and The Faceless Man spent pretty much his entire existence there, being essentially a creature of the night and the shadows.

You’ll need another spell for that.

Also, your latest post was godmodding, as Dawn could have blocked out the Faceless Man’s mental intrusion. Unless Sierra gave permission already, of course. If she didn’t give permission, you need to ask for it.

Flag Post

No one has instant reaction time. The name of a human is all over their mind, practically everywhere. It’s not godmodding to get anyone’s name from their mind with an unexpected strike, it would be if I got something more obscure.

Flag Post

But she still could have blocked it off. If one puts up a constant mental shield around oneself, and has enough willpower, one could potentially block off all unexpected attacks. All in all, you can’t just decide things for Sierra; her permission must be obtained before you can enter her character’s mind.

From now on, I’ll let you do such minor things as you please… unless the other person involved complains about it. Then you’ll have to edit. But if she doesn’t complain, everything is fine.

Flag Post

{ Dafuq? Quit trying to copy me, Firespread. I’m am the magi of the shadows. Like a boss. }

{ Edit: Bro, not cool. Insert Complaint }

{ I posted, but Dawn doesn’t see you and moves on. }

{ I don’t appreciate that. }

{ Anyone want to meet Dawn at the coffee shop? I want to have some sort of ally before Utopia falls. }

Flag Post

…and she complains about it. You two now have to sort things out either here or via PM, Firespread, whichever you prefer, depending on if you want everyone else to see the discussion or not. If you can’t sort things out, I’ll have to step in.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sierrasama:
Originally posted by Sierrasama:

{ I’m not replying to your OP post. }
{ I’m acting like you don’t exist now. }

(Wat)
(How is it OP)
(That is a dick move)

{So’s godmodding. }

How did I godmod, you’re making no sense.

Flag Post

As I said, Firespread, she could’ve blocked your mental intrusion. You can’t just decide for her that she failed to block you out.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

As I said, Firespread, she could’ve blocked your mental intrusion. You can’t just decide for her that she failed to block you out.

In that case, I delete one sentence. Big deal.
Is that the problem, Sierra?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

In that case, I delete one sentence. Big deal.
Is that the problem, Sierra?

{ I guess I won’t make Dawn ignore you. I’m female; I get to overreact }

{ I is sorry for being dick. }

Flag Post

{ Edited post to include da Faceless Man. }
{ I deleted the OOC posts, Shadow-san. }

Flag Post

Amazing work, as always, B_S.

You may expect a sign in the next forty-eight hours.

My sudden disappearance will likely, though hopefully not, occur within three months of that.