[SIGNUPS] [RP] Incarnatum Mȳthologiae [ALWAYS OPEN] page 8

599 posts

Flag Post

Arcax and Rae Grimfeld are accepted.

@ B_S: Will Utopia fall in two real life days, or two role playing days?

Uh, two real-life days, pretty much. And it’s not all of Utopia that falls, only one of its floating cities (Caelum Fortis), presumably the one where many people are at right now. And it’s going to smash a hole into the Undersphere.

Flag Post

Primary Name: Raymond
Other Names: Raymond Lloyd
Class: Magus
Species: Human
Sex: Male
Human Appearance: Well, some sort of slightly above average height and build male with blue eyes and brown hair of not very long but still longer than a normal male’s (especially since a lot tend to be bald) length.
True Appearance: N/A
Personality: Well, he dislikes Beasts and the Magus Mechanicle. Perhaps it’s more organised religion he dislikes than specifically the church of machines, but he does foster a special hatred for that particular church. He’s not too bothered about killing Beasts, really-They gave up their humanity, and if this makes them savage monsters as a result, he really doesn’t have any qualms about putting them down. He’s not really interested in much beyond improving his magic and generally disliking these two groups, though.
Skills: He has some knowledge of how not to get mauled horribly when out in the wilderness which may contain Beasts and Very Bad Things, such as starvation.

Advanced Spells:

[All spells work by touch, unless otherwise stated.]

Circle of Consecration: A defensive spell that is largely very resilient. When activated for x time, the spell will take x time to recharge, and if it is broken 3x time to recharge. The Circle blocks attacks from both sides, as well. Cylindrical in shape.
Salvation: A buffing spell that can be used on people to increase the potency of their attacks. However, attacks imbued by Salvation will harm significantly more than unimbued attacks. Because this isn’t a video game or anything, this means that damage from attacks will be ‘aggravated’ (any wound would take longer to mend and any side-effects will be more severe) and attacks will break body parts more easily, also becoming able to affect normally intangible objects as a result.
Sanctity of Life: A buffing spell that can be used to increase the speed of the target’s body-This means the target’s whole body, which includes their nervous systems and brans, meaning reflexes will keep pace with actual speed.
Delusion of Enlightenment: Creates a ethereal, glowing, blue tree which deals mental damage to anyone who connects with it. This damage will cease when contact ceases, although effects will remain. Willpower and regular power can both help lessen the effects, as always. Targeted by firing a seed similar in appearance to the tree except it is a seed and not a tree, from which the tree will grow from.

Basic Spells:

Ice Manipulation: Raymond can create and shape ice from a field around himself. The field costs energy to maintain with size, becoming stressful to maintain at 2m diameter and capped at 5m diameter (which is exhausting to maintain for periods of time, especially with other powers), and having no cost when contained within Raymond’s body or as a very thin layer protuding from Raymond’s body. Ice cannot be created inside solid objects, as the field will not penetrate them. In case this isn’t obvious (which it apparently isn’t), this will conflict with any foreign magic within objects Raymond is attempting to manipulate and said magic will have to overcome the foreign magic. However, the ice will gain supernatural hardness if more magical energy is poured into it.
Genesis: A healing aura that normally is no larger than Raymond’s body, with a very slow regeneration rate not meant for combat (really only paper cuts or something similarly insignificant would be healed at any speed that would matter in combat) in exchange for costing almost no energy. However, additional energy can be used to expand the aura and increase its healing effects. However, this sadly does not remove adverse effects, such as disease, poison or curses.

Possessions: It probably doesn’t need to go here, but a snazzy red brimmed hat with a white feather attached.
Faction: N/A
Biography: Well, he’s a guy. So he went through life, in some obscure place that he doesn’t really care to remember, and learned magic. His magic eventually got better over time, and he left the obscure place, travelling between obscure places. Some places were plagued by people without their humanity, and some places were plagued by religion. Since it was something to with his magic, he decided to help those places. The places plagued by religion seemed happy enough despite their plague, and it would be difficult to deal with religion due to its organisation, so he chose to deal with the Beasts. And that is exactly what he has been doing: Sort of like pest control, except dealing with extremely deadly monsters instead of cockroaches. Perhaps it is a dangerous job, and perhaps there is very little reward, with very little even to contribute to his continued survival, but he always has savings to fall back on if he can’t mooch on the generosity of some place. Whatever stories he has in store may also buy him a meal or place to stay, and he can otherwise hunt or sleep on the ground, even if the latter isn’t a particularly safe option. He finds himself helping Shifters as well as humans, despite their increased prowess, especially over puny mortal humans, because some obscure church kills Beasts and Shifters on sight, reducing the number of Beasts he has to deal with.

Flag Post

Knob Knoob is accepted.

Flag Post

{ Erhm… Can I have my character find rare ore (like Mithril, I assume) and turn it into a scythe later in the game? }

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sierrasama:

{ Erhm… Can I have my character find rare ore (like Mithril, I assume) and turn it into a scythe later in the game? }

Yes.

Also, something kind of unrelated… There has been experiments trying to infuse ordinary animals with magic and splicing them together to create magical creatures. All such experiments failed and will fail; it has been demonstrated with large amounts of evidence that only humans and human-derived creatures can use magic. Splicing humans with animals… Well, let’s say that all experimental subjects died horribly.

Flag Post

Hey B_S can I buff Vinyl’s Fire bolt? I want to give it something like a shield breaker, giving it the ability to cancel out magic that is weaker than the fire bolt.

Flag Post

The best I can let you have is magic that weakens shields, as there is no magic that outright cancels other magic. But it won’t be an all-or-nothing deal, meaning that it’ll work even on magic stronger than it.

Since not all fire spells have shieldbreaking properties, Vinyl’s fire bolt should look different from ordinary fire, maybe a different color or something.

Flag Post

Guess it’ll be a good reason to make it Vinyl’s blue! (:

Flag Post

Specify that it has the ability to weaken magical shielding, obviously to a less degree if the shield is stronger in general. The fire bolt may not be strong enough to break through the shield entirely.

Flag Post

Done and done.

Flag Post

Information:

There are a few unrelated types of rocky minerals that are all called adamantite, because they’re all supernaturally tough and durable. Black adamantite is one such type; it is not as hard as some of the other types, but is much less brittle. It appeared in my latest post.

Flag Post

Pacts are now of two types. Those formed with non-living targets are easier to break, and do not provide any sort of healing benefit. Only solid non-living targets can have Pacts formed with them.

The healing effect is now powered by Sana herself, or from a living target. Living targets can choose to block the healing effect, however, in a similar fashion to breaking off or holding onto the Pact.

The geographical limit now has a maximum value, which escalates with an increase in Sana’s power level. It still needs to be defined at the time of formation, however.

Are there any other changes required? Also, Knoob seems to be back, hurray!

Flag Post

Adeeb is accepted.

Also, do I need to explicitly say that Christopher in this game is obviously a homage to Dominic in Ather City 2: The World After. Both are very old, immortal, very powerful, and insane, but there are, or will be, enough differences between them that Christopher isn’t an outright clone.

Now that I think about it… The setup of this game is, or will be, really similar to the setup of TWA, once I’ve revealed enough of the stuff I planned. But other than the homage to Dominic, none of the similarity was intentional. I have no ways of proving it, so you’d just have to trust me.

Flag Post

You know, you could just import Zircon Magnetite from Reclaim.

I might just take you up on that offer.
Although it won’t be Zircon, but rather a similar character. For purposes of this, pretty equivalent.

Flag Post

I will need some help when I do the floating city crash. Like, I obviously haven’t seen a real city drop to the ground from many kilometers up, so I’m not sure if I’ll get the physics and everything right.

How much damage will the fall deal on the city as a whole? Assuming an average building height of about 150 meters, I’m making the city ground about the same thickness. It’s reinforced by some magic, but much of it will go offline when the central power is cut. Assuming Earth-like gravity, and a height of 10 kilometers, the city should be going at about 300 m/s when it hits the ground. Will the impact be enough to shatter the city itself into many pieces? Will it cause most of the buildings to collapse?

And what portion of the city population is likely to die? An average citizen can be expected to be several times as tough as a human in real life. Even if they’re standing on the city ground, the impact should still affect them as though they’ve hit the ground from 10 km up, right? Since the sudden deceleration at the end is more or less the same. If some survive that, they’ll be crushed by collapsing buildings and stuff. And then, since the fall smashes the city into the Undersphere, there will be hordes of demons swarming the city soon enough.

Flag Post

Maybe this will provide enough inspiration.

EDIT: And also this

What is the size of the city?

Flag Post

Even if they’re standing on the city ground, the impact should still affect them as though they’ve hit the ground from 10 km up, right? Since the sudden deceleration at the end is more or less the same.

With regards to this point specifically, I’d have thought the ground composing the city’s surface would have acted as a form of crumple zone – or, even better, the cities of Utopia as a whole would probably be designed with large numbers of extremely effective crumple zones to maximize deceleration time upon impact with the ground, specifically to deal with the possibility of them ever being knocked out of the sky. In case anyone’s wondering, a crumple zone is a structural design feature (predominantly present on cars and trains IRL) that’s intended to absorb the energy of an impact by, and I quote from Wikipedia, “controlled deformation”. In essence, the crumple zone is designed to take the brunt of an impact by sacrificing it’s own structural integrity to preserve the structural integrity of other, more important areas, as well as reducing the overall energy transferred to those more important areas through the previously-mentioned increase in deceleration times, as well as the people in those areas that such a deceleration may affect. (More crumple zone info here.)
Additionally, I’d expect the city to have some form of well-known mass evacuation plan – say, some kind of appropriately-placed system of readily available and otherwise ridiculously common portals acting between and amongst the various Utopian cities, that functions on a completely separate system to the system which keeps each city afloat; or even a portal network similar to the previously mentioned system, but with self-sustaining portals that are only ever connected to one other portal in another city, so as to prevent the possibility of every single portal in any given city being shut off simultaneously – that can be effectively and efficiently enacted in the time it takes for thousands of tons of rock, soil, concrete, etc. to fall ten kilometers, as an additional precaution to absolutely minimize potential loss of life, alongside additional crumple zones and/or magical enhancement for the buildings on the city to make sure they only ever collapse in a controlled, predictable manner whilst affecting as small an area as possible (such magical enhancement to prevent a large collapse area could apply to all building collapses, by the way, not just those caused by smashing into the planet at 300 m/s)… long story short, I would be incredibly surprised and/or disgusted with the city’s designers if more than 10% of the population of that city, or any city which you may consider dropping in the future, is killed. Hell, even 5% is stretching it, if the whole portal evacuation thing is used; I’d personally suggest a 3% fatality rate regarding occupants of the city.
Tough sh!t to anything immediately below the city when it lands, though. Hindenburg, and all that, although I presume the cities don’t move around whilst in the air, giving a nice, large, shadowed area in which nothing is built, at least when the Undersphere is disregarded. Incidentally, I figured out how long a fall from 10km would last if the falling object was going at a consistent speed of 300 m/s (1080 km/h), and I got 33.333 recurring. Given that it presumably takes a reasonable amount of time for something as large as a city to build up downward momentum, though, I’d say that a city falling from 10km would take anywhere between 45 and 60 seconds to impact the ground – more than enough time for the evacuation plan I outlined to be enacted – without factoring in any additional falls into any underground layers immediately afterwards, as is going to be the case here when the city breaks into the Undersphere.
Speaking of the Undersphere… how far is it between the upper layer of the Worldsphere and the area of the Undersphere immediately below that? I assume we also want to calculate fall time and speed between breaking through the top layer of the Worldsphere and the subsequent impact with the ground of the Undersphere, even if it’s just for kicks.

Flag Post

Don’t forget the friction, man. The friction is going to burn the city into ash and the remaining heat is going to burn all the trees nearby (and far-by). The hole created will likely be made of glass (molten rock quickly cooled down.)

And the size of the city, pretty please?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pulsaris:

Don’t forget the friction, man. The friction is going to burn the city into ash and the remaining heat is going to burn all the trees nearby (and far-by). The hole created will likely be made of glass (molten rock quickly cooled down.)

And the size of the city, pretty please?

…uh. I’m pretty sure the city is moving at less than the speed of sound. Last I checked… well, I’m not sure on this point, actually. Maybe you’re right… but again, safety measures would probably have been taken to prevent the city incinerating itself in a fall as well (incidentally, if the city DID incinerate itself in that kind of fall, there’d be nothing to break through to the Undersphere with; food for thought, see).

Flag Post

I’m a little too tired to analyze any of this in detail at the moment, but I’d think that all of those safety features BC suggested are ridiculously expensive and time-consuming to implement. The world and even Utopia itself is constantly torn by conflicts, so Utopians can’t exactly afford too much time and resources to built these features; it has been like this for centuries. All they’re really concerned about is getting the city up and away from all the savagery down below, and making sure it doesn’t fall; what to do if it does fall isn’t very high up on their priority list due to the lack of time and resources.

The speed of sound is 343 m/s, and the city is going at 300 m/s by the time it falls. So I guess friction is a factor too? See, this is why I need other people, so they can think of things I didn’t. As for the city size… Why don’t I just say about 1000 square km, or maybe smaller. It doesn’t have to be a particularly big city.

Regardless, I want to kill off at least 50% of the city population with the crash, and more when the massive demon horde from the Undersphere comes rushing in.

Flag Post

…Blood, if the people who made the floating cities can afford the time and resources (e.g. magic, of which there is a practically unlimited amount in the Worldsphere) to send a thousand square kilometers of city ten kilometers into the sky, there is no excuse for them to not use some more of that time and those resources (e.g. magic, of which there is a practically unlimited amount in the Worldsphere) to make sure the people in the city don’t die horribly if the city subsequently drops from the sky. Seriously, what kind of dick-headed ignoramus would design something that has the potential to fall from the sky without features to protect the people in it if it fell from the sky?

Flag Post

Who said there’s a practically unlimited amount of magic in the Worldsphere? Conservation of energy, dude. Magic doesn’t spring forth endlessly from some unknown source; it gets recycled all around the planet. Besides that, there is only a limited amount of magic a person can control, depending on his or her power level; any magic more than you can control is practically useless to you in the short term. It is incredibly difficult for one to build devices that allows him to manipulate more magic than he normally can, to prevent any single person from gathering up half the magic on the whole planet and effortlessly take over the world.

And did you read what I posted? They sent some cities up into the air, and made sure they don’t fall. That’s all their time and resources allowed them to do. Anything else they have are spent trying to protect themselves from other factions and from internal conflicts. You speak as though they have lots more to spare, which they don’t. It’s a crapsack world, not an actual Utopia or even a real life city.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

I’m a little too tired to analyze any of this in detail at the moment, but I’d think that all of those safety features BC suggested are ridiculously expensive and time-consuming to implement. The world and even Utopia itself is constantly torn by conflicts, so Utopians can’t exactly afford too much time and resources to built these features; it has been like this for centuries. All they’re really concerned about is getting the city up and away from all the savagery down below, and making sure it doesn’t fall; what to do if it does fall isn’t very high up on their priority list due to the lack of time and resources.

The speed of sound is 343 m/s, and the city is going at 300 m/s by the time it falls. So I guess friction is a factor too? See, this is why I need other people, so they can think of things I didn’t. As for the city size… Why don’t I just say about 1000 square km, or maybe smaller. It doesn’t have to be a particularly big city.

Regardless, I want to kill off at least 50% of the city population with the crash, and more when the massive demon horde from the Undersphere comes rushing in.

Consider the ground only, then there is 150 cubic km of rocks. The gravitational potential energy loss is (assuming specific gravity of rocks = 2) 30 exajoules. It’s like 1400 Tsar Bomba (the largest nuke ever built) exploding at once.

Please, Blood_Shadow, can you just make the anti-gravity generator malfunctions? If the city hit with full force, all people without flying ability will die with the people on the ground inside a 100km radius.

EDIT: And I’m also very afraid that the falling speed will exceed the speed of sound.

EDIT2: I’m afraid we have had enough physics at this point, for if there’s a cavity under the ground (the Undersphere), it’ll be extremely disastrous because the city will push down the rocks on the ground and fall with it. The seismic waves may as well collapse a whole section of the Undersphere.

Flag Post

Hmm… Your numbers are right, Pulsaris; the kinetic energy of just the city ground does come out to be around that order of magnitude if it’s 1000 square km across and 150 m thick, hitting the ground at 300 m/s. So… It’s almost 2 AM here, and I’m tired, so I’m going to wave some hands around. Let me just say that due to some emergency safety features, including the crumple zone as suggested by BC, some emergency antigravity generators that decrease acceleration during the fall, the city being smaller than I first said, and the city ground being made of some tough but lightweight material, etc, the fall ends up killing around 75% to 99% of the city’s populations. The player characters currently in the city, being among its strongest inhabitants, all manage to survive. I do realize that I’m going back on my words and changing things to fit my own ends, but really, I don’t care how as long as my ends are achieved. I want to kill off the majority of the citizens, and they will be killed off.

EDIT: Oops. I forgot to multiply by 2 in my final falling speed calculation. See, I’m tired. So if I do that, the falling speed is 443 m/s, which is greater than the speed of sound. Okay. But, uh, same arguments as I said above.

Flag Post

[IE, just start interactions and I’ll post whenever I can. Until the eighth of November, I can’t exactly use my internet properly.]