[Game] Two-Thirds the Average (IT'S OVER) (locked)

98 posts

Flag Post

Hello everyone, and welcome to my seventh forum game, Two-Thirds the Average! As you may have guessed, this is a sequel (of sorts) to one of my previous forum games, Half the Average. If you didn’t play in that game, I encourage you to go through that thread to see a complete example of gameplay and strategy, but a brief set of rules is also provided below for your convenience.

Gameplay
This is a competition that will be conducted in rounds. Each round, every player will PM me a number between 1 and 100. At the end of the round, I will calculate the average of all the numbers that have been submitted (Note: If a player does not submit a number for a particular round, their submission will be 100). I will then take 2/3 of that average, rounded (hence the name of the game) and use that to calculate player scores for each round.

Scoring
If a player’s submission is below 2/3 of the average submission for that round, they are automatically eliminated. For everyone else, their score is calculated by taking the number they submitted and subtracting 2/3 of the average submission for the round. A player is eliminated if their total score exceeds 100 points. The last player left in the game who has not submitted a number below half the average or exceeded 100 points will win the game (in the event that all players remaining are eliminated in the same round, that round will be redone with all those players staying in the game).

Example Round
Here is an example of scoring with 5 players.
Player 1 submits 16.
Player 2 submits 42.
Player 3 submits 69.
Player 4 submits 39.
Player 5 fails to submit (counted as 100).
The average submission is 54, 2/3 of which is 36.

So the scores for this round would be:
Player 1: Eliminated (submitted below 2/3 the average)
Player 2: 6 (42-36)
Player 3: 33 (69-36)
Player 4: 3 (39-36)
Player 5: 64 (100-36)

Flag Post

Signups

I will be accepting up to 20 22 players to this game, due to the popularity of Half the Average. However, if we reach a point where no one signs up for a 24-hour period, signups will close early, and the game will begin.

1. Mysterymason
2. SamsterSamster
3. MyNameIsNothing
4. devourer359
5. CowFriend
6. hamuka
7. Bluji
8. JaumeBG
9. puzzledan
10. WiiPlayer113
11. sinnikis
12. T6salt
13. MaistlinRajere
14. Woon1957
15. arkenarken
16. gammaflux
17. Pulsaris
18. AdeebNafees (via PM)
19. Jaskaran2000
20. Tomatoman
21. FelineForumer
22. rlatch79

Flag Post

Miscellaneous

All rounds will last for 48 hours. I will try to make sure to set round deadlines at times where I will be able to post the next round immediately, but if I am not able to do so, then I will still not accept any scores PMed to me after the deadline.

For Rounds 1 and 2, I will send a reminder PM with approximately 24 hours left in the round, in an attempt to encourage all players to submit scores. However, starting with Round 3, it is up to each player to remember to send me a number before the deadline.

Also, please note that, once you have sent me a number via PM, it cannot be changed.

A final note: In-thread discussion is allowed (and encouraged), but only numbers submitted to me via PM will be counted.
With all that said, good luck, and let the fun begin!

Flag Post

Scoring summary (through 10 rounds):

puzzledan Winner, 96 points

devourer359 Eliminated, Round 10 (over 100 points)
rlatch79 Eliminated, Round 10 (over 100 points)
Tomatoman Eliminated, Round 9 (below 2/3 the average)
Jaskaran2000 Eliminated, Round 9 (over 100 points)
hamuka Eliminated, Round 7 (over 100 points)
Mysterymason Eliminated, Round 6 (over 100 points)
MyNameIsNothing Eliminated, Round 6 (below 2/3 the average)
SamsterSamster Eliminated, Round 4 (over 100 points)
FelineForumer Eliminated, Round 4 (over 100 points)
JaumeBG Eliminated, Round 4 (below 2/3 the average)
arkenarken Eliminated, Round 4 (below 2/3 the average)
gammaflux Eliminated, Round 4 (below 2/3 the average)
Woon1957 Eliminated, Round 3 (over 100 points)
Pulsaris Eliminated, Round 3 (over 100 points)
sinnikis Eliminated, Round 3 (over 100 points)
Bluji Eliminated, Round 3 (below 2/3 the average)
AdeebNafees Eliminated, Round 3 (below 2/3 the average)
CowFriend Eliminated, Round 3 (below 2/3 the average)
T6salt Eliminated, Round 1 (below 2/3 the average)
MaistlinRajere Eliminated, Round 1 (below 2/3 the average)
WiiPlayer113 Eliminated, Round 1 (below 2/3 the average)

Flag Post

Please dont spam threads…

Flag Post
Originally posted by NickCharming:

Please dont spam threads…

Wut.

YES! Another one of these! Signsignsignsign.

Flag Post

Sign!

Flag Post

Sign! :D

Flag Post

Sign

Flag Post

Sign.

Flag Post

Sign, but…

A player is eliminated if their total score exceeds 100 points.

For everyone else, their score is calculated by taking the number they submitted and subtracting 2/3 of the average submission for the round.

Well, uhhh, the maximum point amount you can submit is 100, so there’s no way in the world you could get eliminated that way. Which means one could simply ignore the game, thereby always getting 100 points, then never get over 100.

EDIT: Herpaderpaloo.

Flag Post

Scores from each round are added together. You’re not eliminated if your round score is over 100 (this is impossible, as you noted), but you’re eliminated if your total score is over 100.

Read the linked game for more information.

Flag Post

Sign. Woah, this might be an interesting twist.

EDIT: Next one in the series — Three-Fifths the Average. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bluji:

Sign. Woah, this might be an interesting twist.

I know, right?

Flag Post

The concept behind these games have been brilliant. I touched on it here, in the last one:

I really like the dynamic of this game. You have to develop a strategy and try to figure out what other people will do, while they are doing the same thing, and the collective effort of all the strategies gives the result of what you were aiming to guess in your original stratgey. It’s almost like a clever paradox

Flag Post
Originally posted by SamsterSamster:

Sign!

Flag Post

Sign me 2/3 the way up

Flag Post

Sign. I’ll try really hard to not be first eliminated this time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

Sign. I’ll try really hard to not be first eliminated this time.

Here’s to retribution hey

Flag Post

Sign

Flag Post
Originally posted by sinnikis:

Sign

Flag Post

Sign.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

Sign.

Flag Post