Beasts of War[BETA] (locked)

165 posts

Flag Post

Many of you remember my previous Beasts of War, which was a well-intentioned but doomed FGF card game. I am now remaking Beasts of War, the new and improved version. To avoid the failures of the last BoW(argument over gameplay mechanics, ridiculously overpowered cards, inactivity from both sides), I’m going to ask that people help out with the creation of the new BoW.

Rest assured all Beta Testers will be credited. Beta Testers have many roles. It may be as simple as checking to see if certain cards are balanced, or making suggestions for the best way to RNG the starting hand. It may be as difficult as playing an entire game following a certain strategy to see if that strategy is a Game-Breaker.

Update Log
-Beasts of War Beta is out.
-Created the basic gameplay mechanics.
-Devourer359 has signed up to be a Beta Tester.
-gammaflux has signed up to be a Beta Tester.
-Zzzip50 has signed up to be a Beta Tester.

Flag Post

Gameplay
This section is still very much in testing and may be changed or improved at any time, according to my own thoughts and the beta testers’ suggestions.

How this goes is:there six elements-Fire, Water, Chaos, Order, Darkness and Light. Each is based around a certain strategy and has its own “personality”.

Fire-Quick attacks. Cheap creatures that can be summoned very early in the game and very often.
Water-Slow attacks. Focusing on status effects and slowly crushing your opponent.
Chaos-Luck based. Your success depends on the whim of the RNG. Its spells and creature abilities usually affect the entire battlefield and can change the course of the whole game.
Order-Based around delay. It has the most powerful creatures in the whole game, but they’re very expensive. Its spells are geared around preventing the opponent from a quick kill while it builds up energy to get its big guns out.
Darkness-Destruction of the opponent’s army. Ability and spell based:they’re the most frustrating in the game. On the other hand, its own defense is weak.
Light-Extremely defensive. Loves to turtle up behind creatures with a high amount of health and grind away at the opponent. In this way, it’s sort of like a mixture between Order and Water.
-

When you start off the game, you choose one of six starter decks. Each starter deck’s cards are all of one element. Six elements, six decks. You can then choose to battle with another player(not advisable since the other player probably has customized decks while you’re stuck with starter) or to battle with an AI.

You can buy cards from the shop with Coins. The cards in the shop are chosen specially by me. At any point, you can suggest cards for me to put in the shop. I will nerf/buff it, then show it to you. If you like the modified card, you can pay a small amount of Coins to put it in the shop. If I think your card is particularly good or creative, I might choose to put it in the shop free of charge.

As a small incentive, Beta Testers never have to pay coins to put their cards in the shop. The cards will still be subject to modifications however. Your deck can have a maximum of 60 cards and a minimum of 30. You may not have more than 5 duplicates of a card, excepting Energy cards.
-
Battles
The course of a battle between a player and an AI or a PvP is basically the two players using the cards in their decks to try to defeat each other.

At the start of the battle, the players search through their deck to find 1 Wall card and place it on the battlefield. All decks MUST have one Wall card. All starter decks have the same Wall card, Last Shield. However, you may buy better wall cards. Some cards will allow you to place extra Wall cards on the battlefield, though you may only have up to 3 Wall cards in your deck at any time.

After placing your Wall card down, you then draw 7 cards from your deck.

Once the Wall cards are down, RNG decides who starts first. The structure of a turn goes as follows:
-Draw Card
-Place Energy Cards
-Summon Creatures
-Cast Spells
-Attack With Creatures
-Discard/Draw Cards(if applicable)

Note that at any time during your turn you may use creature abilities.

At the start of your turn, you draw one card, unless stated by another card’s effect. Then, you place all Energy cards from your hand into your Energy pile. All starter decks have the same Energy card, Basic Energy. However, you may buy better Energy cards from the Shop(they give you more energy, add special effects etc.). Once you place your Energy cards down, you count the number of Energy cards you have in your Energy pile and add that number to your Total Energy. Remember, you start with zero Total Energy.

Now you may summon creatures. Each creature has an Energy Cost. You may spend an amount of Energy from your Total Energy equivalent to the creature’s Energy Cost to summon that creature. You may summon as many creatures as your Total Energy allows. All summoned creatures go onto the battlefield.

Now you cast spells. Each spell has an Energy Cost, and you can use your Total Energy to cast them. Once cast, spells immediately go into the graveyard(where all dead cards go). Unlike creatures, spells have an immediate and powerful effect, but do not linger on the battlefield unless stated on the spell card(some spells stay on the battlefield for a few turns, doing their effects for that period of time.). A notable exception are certain spells that when cast, stay on the battlefield permanently or until someone destroys them. These are called Permanents, though you cast them under the Cast Spells stage.

Then you may attack with your creatures. Each creature has a Power level. When a creature attacks another creature, deduct the weaker creature’s Power level from the strongest creature’s Power level. The weaker creature then dies, leaving the stronger creature weakened but alive. It might be worth it to use a weak creature to attack a strong one to soften it up for your big guns to kill without leaving themselves too vulnerable. If two creatures have the same power level, they both die. Each creature may only attack once per turn.

If, and only if, there are no enemy creatures on the battlefield, your creatures may attack the enemy’s Wall. The standard Wall, Last Shield, has a power level of 10000. However, note that although Walls’ power levels may be depleted, the Walls MAY NOT KILL any creatures. So if I attack a Last Shield with a 1000 power creature, the Wall will now have 9000 power but the creature would not die. The creature WOULD die if it had attacked another creature with a Power level of 10000 instead of a Wall.

If there are no enemy creatures and no enemy walls left, you may attack the opponent directly. One attack by ANY creature on the opponent directly will instantly kill him and win the game for you.

At the end of your turn, if your opponent is not dead, check the number of cards in your hand. If you have no cards left in your hand, you may draw 7 cards. If you have 10 or more cards in your hand, you have to choose a card to discard as 9 is the maximum number of cards you have in your hand.

If you run out of cards in your deck, you instantly lose the game as it is assumed you have lost your power, which stems from your cards. Since you have lost your power, your creatures and spells all vanish and your opponent’s creatures kill you.

Flag Post

Beta Testers

MY MAIN PRIORITY RIGHT NOW IS FIGURING OUT WHAT THE STARTER DECKS ARE AND HOW TO RANDOMIZE THE STARTING HAND WITHOUT GIVING PEOPLE UNBALANCED STARTING HANDS.

Please focus on the issues above!

Glorious Testers
-Devourer359
-gammaflux
-Zzzip50
-BCLEGENDS
-T6salt

Flag Post

I’ll probably be willing to beta test.

or making suggestions for the best way to RNG the starting hand.

Wouldn’t random.org be the undisputed method for deck RNGing? Or are there certain things to consider?

Flag Post

Random.org may create wildly unbalanced starting hands, such as giving one guy no Energy cards at all and basically making his entire first turn useless. You can suggest certain limits to the starting hands. For example, you might suggest that all starting hands must contain at least 3 Energy cards and what to do if Random.org doesn’t fulfill that limit.

Flag Post

I can probably test also.

Flag Post

I will also be willing to beta test. Me, Devourer, Hyped, and therealsirmark all have experience in this. (The Creators of FGF Warcards)

I would just say too bad for that unlucky guy that didn’t place enough Energy cards/had a really bad day. The most I would support is that the starting hand is rechosen once if there aren’t at least 1 Energy card.

I’m also good with making original decks, I’ll start tommorow. Can you at least give us some sort of sample card that I can work off of?

Heyheyhey, can you add all 12 elements from Elements?

Flag Post

A sample card would be:

Helltank
Fire
Energy Cost 5
Power Level 1000
Abilities:
Immolate-Destroy this card. All allied creatures on the battlefield gain 2000 Power.
Swarm(Passive)-For every other Helltank on the field, this creature gains 2000 power.

[Just a random card off the top of my head. Ridiculously OP if you have a lot of creatures on the field.]

Flag Post

This reminds me of that card I made for Yiu. Giant mistake. It was a card that doubled every turn. It was mostly harmless, until I forgot about the fact that I also made myhome a card that could destroy a number of his own cards to raise the attack for 1 turn.

Im sure this game will go faster as we will have starter decks pre made, as in the other one we told members to upload a picture, and we would make a deck off of that.

Flag Post

Master of annoyingly long balance reporting, along with his feedback and questions (more may come later, ofc):

1. Will dueling take place in-thread or on an external website? If in-thread, will there be a separate thread for dueling?
2. How will you store decks and information? Will you be using a wiki?
3. I assume a Wall goes to the graveyard after death?
4. I assume creatures go to the graveyard after death?
5. Do you keep unspent energy for the next turn? Do the Energy cards in your Energy pile stay permanently unless affected by another player/yourself?
6. Is there a specific card formatting you would like? Bolding, italicizing, etc.
7. Z’s post brings something to mind. Are beta-testers just supposed to make suggestions and balance comments, or are we actually building decks/cards?

Chaos-Luck based. Your success depends on the whim of the RNG.

I assume that there is at least some strategy involved with Chaos cards?

or to battle with an AI.

How exactly does the AI work? Will there be multiple AI decks? Will there be bosses and the like?

You can buy cards from the shop with Coins.

Out of curiosity, can you sell cards? Is there a card storage where you can put cards you aren’t currently using?

I will nerf/buff it, then show it to you.

Will cards be open for nerfing/buffing after creation? Will players be able to critique existing cards?

When you start off the game, you choose one of six starter decks.

Just how big are these starter decks? 30 cards?

At the start of the battle, the players search through their deck to find 1 Wall card and place it on the battlefield.

I assume the deck is shuffled after this and not before, right? And if I’m interpreting this correctly, the player chooses the Wall card he wants, so it’ll be optimal for him to choose before the actual duel begins in order to speed things up. The ability to set a default Wall to use would also be nice.

However, you may buy better wall cards
However, you may buy better Energy cards from the Shop(they give you more energy, add special effects etc.).

Ew, power creep. I would suggest against this, especially the more energy part. Unless, of course, you have a balanced way of going about this.

If you have no cards left in your hand, you may draw 7 cards.

Can I choose not to draw cards, considering you used the word “may”? If so, what’s stopping me from delaying a deck-out death?

If you run out of cards in your deck, you instantly lose the game

Does this include cards in the hand and battlefield, or do I die unconditionally if my deck is empty? If so, isn’t the optimal strategy to keep one card in my hand when my deck is low? Is the last card in my deck always useless?

Random.org may create wildly unbalanced starting hands, such as giving one guy no Energy cards at all and basically making his entire first turn useless.

My answer to this depends on the amount of energy Energy cards give and the Energy cost of most cards. As of now, I suggest that every starting hand must have two RNG’d Energy cards.

Flag Post

Zzzip:Yes, I will be very strict with cards that gain power from other cards/give power to other cards. Personal experience has told me that by adopting a strategy of spamming lots of cheap creatures, the owner of those cards can become way overpowered. It’s similar to my extremely strict rules on teleporting in my RPs. (Check out TVTropes’ “Teleport Spam” if you want to know why.)

devourer359:
1)There will be a general thread(used to buy stuff in the shop, sign up, discuss strategy, rearrange your decks, sell cards to shop/other players, arrange duels and so on) and a duel thread(for the actual duel). It’s similar to WarCards’ Shop thread and Duel thread.

2)I was planning on making a punbb forum to store all the cards(with my co-hosts and me knowing the administrator passwords), but a Wiki sounds like a better idea. Did you get the idea for WarCards?

3)Yeah it does. It’s basically a creature that can’t attack or defend itself.

4)Yes.

5)The Energy cards stay there permanently, and unspent energy is accumulated. You can quickly get lots of energy by simply not using too much energy. Elements like Order are dependent on accumulated energy to survive instant-death attacks by Fire or Darkness.

6)Bold the creature name and italicize the abilities.

7)You can choose the level of commitment you want to make as a tester. It’s up to you, though it would be HIGHLY appreciated if you can submit decks to me. Then I can modify them instead of having to create one from scratch. Thanks to all who do this! :)

-
For your various questions:

There is strategy involved with Chaos cards. For example, I’m planning Chaos cards that can physically modify the luck factor(ie modify the RNG settings). When I say luck, I mean “this creature turns into a random Chaos creature”. It’s random, but if you use it on weak Chaos creatures, then odds are it will turn into a stronger creature than it was before, essentially upgrading it.
-

No problem. When I say that, I just mean that in practical terms they’re very frustrating. Playing Darkness is like playing a Jester in a mafia, or a time controller in an RP. I’ll edit it out anyways. Since you also quoted it, I’d suggest that you edit YOUR post as well.

-

AIs will use single or duo-element decks. Which deck is chosen for the AI is random. I’m thinking of making “Boss” AIs with decks that are actually based around a specific strategy rather than the one dictated by the element(s) of the deck. Those will be harder but give out more Coins. Or maybe you can choose not to receive any coins from the Boss AI but instead get a random card from its deck.

-

You can put cards in storage, and you can sell cards for 3/4 the amount of Coins that you bought them for(rounded down). Your deck can be rearranged using the cards in storage at any time except during battles.

-
Yes, players can critique existing cards and they can be nerfed/buffed at any time. Sometimes a card looks innocent but turns out to be OP when applied in actual play. There will be 24 hours notice before an existing card is modified to give players time to modify their decks(ie. a deck based around a certain ability of X card will definitely want to make changes if that ability is significantly nerfed).
-
Starter decks are 30 cards.
-
The deck is shuffled after this, yes. And yes, you can set a default Wall to use.
-
Okay then, I’ll make it so that all Wall and Energy cards are standard. However, you can upgrade your standard Wall card into a Tier II Wall card. Each Tier II Wall card differs based on your element. What about that?
-
Wrong choice of words. You MUST draw 7 cards.
-
If at any point, you cannot draw a single card from your deck, you lose.
-
Suggestion accepted.

Flag Post

Fire Starter Deck
10x Basic Energy
1x Last Shield
5x Firespitter Goblin
2x Immolation
2x Fury of the Fire
3x Dancing Spark
1x Smouldering Golem
1x Phoenix

Last Shield
None
Energy Cost 0
Power Level 10000
Abilities:
Wall(Passive)This card may not be attacked until there are no other allied creatures on the battlefield.
Non-Living(Passive)Creatures that attack this card do not have their power level reduced.

Firespitter Goblin
Fire
Energy Cost 3
Power Level 2000
Abilities:
Flamethrower:Choose a creature with a power level of 4000 or below. That creature cannot attack next turn. This creature may not attack for the rest of the turn.

Immolation
Fire
Energy Cost 3
Choose a creature with a power level of 4000 or below and destroy it.

Fury of the Fire
Fire
Energy Cost 2
Choose a creature. That creature gains 1000 power but may not attack this turn.

Dancing Spark
Fire
Energy Cost 1
Power Level 1000
Abilities:
Rebirth:Destroy this creature. Turn a Phoenix Egg into a Phoenix.

Smouldering Golem
Fire
Energy Cost 5
Power Level 3000
Abilities:
Burning Joy:This creature gains 1000 power. This creature may not attack this turn.

Phoenix
Fire
Energy Cost 8
Power Level 5000
Abilities:
Immortality(Passive):When this creature would be destroyed, turn it into a Phoenix Egg instead.
Consume:Choose an allied Dancing Spark and destroy it. This creature gains 1000 power.

Phoenix Egg
Fire
Energy Cost N/A
Power Level 3000
Abilities:
Stillness:This creature may not attack.
Hatch(Passive):Two turns after the Phoenix Egg is created, it turns into a Phoenix.

Flag Post

How many abilities can be used per monster per turn? Can the same ability be used multiple times?

Did you get the idea for WarCards?

Assuming you mean “from”, yes. Credits go to InfiniteExpanse and yiu.

I’d suggest that you edit YOUR post as well.

Done.

Okay then, I’ll make it so that all Wall and Energy cards are standard. However, you can upgrade your standard Wall card into a Tier II Wall card. Each Tier II Wall card differs based on your element. What about that?

Sounds good to me. If I’m interpreting this correctly, it allows for some power creep and player gratification without disrupting the balance.

Perhaps you could have a system like this, with 1 and 2 as placeholder numbers:

Basic Energy = 1 energy gain.
Tier 2 Energy Card = 1 energy gain and a special effect (varies based on the card).
Last Shield = 2 Power.
Tier 2 Wall Card = 2 Power (varies based on the card, balancing with the special effect) and a special effect (varies based on the card).

This would allow for a variety of cards and strategies while maintaining balanced stats. Tier 2’s will be more powerful than Tier 1’s in that they have special effects (which should be balanced with each other), but that would encourage players to play AI’s and learn the game before PVPing, which is a good thing. This, of course, assumes that Wall Cards have special effects. Which leads up to the question, do they?

Feel free to decline this if you want, of course.

If at any point, you cannot draw a single card from your deck, you lose.

My issue still needs to be discussed. If a player has less than 8 cards in his deck, wouldn’t he just keep a few cards in his hand and completely avoid drawing cards by maintaining his hand? Unless the opponent has “force draw” card effects, the player doesn’t have to draw cards until his hand is empty. Is this just an oversight in which you forgot to note something? Does the player draw a card every turn or something?

10x Basic Energy

How much energy does this produce? I feel that it needs a card description.

Flamethrower:Choose a creature with a power level of 4000 or below. That creature cannot attack next turn. This creature may not attack for the rest of the turn.

Can this target allied creatures? I’ll be asking a lot of these. It may seem redundant and repetitive, but you never know. Players might get confused.

Choose a creature with a power level of 4000 or below and destroy it.

Can this target allied creatures?

Choose a creature. That creature gains 1000 power but may not attack this turn.

Can this target allied/enemy creatures?

Phoenix

I don’t have the time right now to argue about this, but I feel that this card is OP for its energy cost. This observation is, of course, gained from comparisons to the other available cards.

Stillness:This creature may not attack.

This should be a passive.

Flag Post

Sounds like a good idea, devourer. Just make sure that the Energy cards’ special effects don’t stack for obvious reasons.
-
No, devourer. Did you read the gameplay post? “At the start of your turn, you draw one card”. Even if you have a card that allows you to not draw, you still lose, because hypothetically, IF you NEEDED to draw, and couldn’t, then you lose, even if you actually don’t need to draw.
-
All energy cards produce one energy per turn. That’s why I said “count the number of energy cards in your energy pile and add that to your energy total”.
-
All skills can target allies AND enemies unless stated otherwise. Dunno why you’d want to sabotage your own creatures, though(two creatures, because if the Goblin uses Flamethrower he can’t attack that turn), unless you’re playing a handicapped match?
-
Yeah, I’m going to up the Phoenix’s energy cost to 10 to prevent decks with 5 Dancing Sparks and 5 Phoenixes, which would be near-impossible to beat unless the opponent is very unlucky and you are very lucky.

Flag Post

Note to all:The Beasts of War forum may be found at http://beastsofwar.punbb-hosting.com. A complete list of cards and decks, as well as a forum for strategy discussions, may be found there. Do critique cards at the strategy discussion forum rather than at the thread of the card itself in the Cards forum.

When creating threads for newly-created cards and decks, use the Editor account(its password is “helltank” without the quotation marks) so that anyone can edit those threads, just like a wiki.

Flag Post

Is it still possible for people to sign up as Beta testers? Because I would quite like to become one of those.

Flag Post

Sure. Always in need of Beta Testers. Beta Testers that have contributed a lot to Beasts of War will be offered a spot as co-host in the main BoW game.

After some thought, I have decided:
The way to randomize starting hands will be-the first two cards are always Energy cards. The rest of the cards will be randomized.

All cards drawn from the deck are random unless a card modifies the randomizer(Chaos cards, mostly).

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

My Beasts of War is in Beta Testing, if you guys are craving for card games. RandomTurtle, if you want to do card art, why not do BoW card art? :)

Cough

EDIT: Cards so far.

Flag Post

:P

What? I have the right to promote my game.

Flag Post

I need to ask: how does ability use work? Presumably, monsters may choose to use one of their active abilities per turn, in lieu of their regular attack.

Flag Post

Each active ability, unless otherwise stated, can be used once per turn. A creature can use more than one ability in one turn. An ability does not affect the creature’s regular attack unless otherwise stated(ie. Smouldering Golem or Firespitter Goblin’s ability).

Flag Post

Any good?

Flag Post

No, devourer. Did you read the gameplay post? “At the start of your turn, you draw one card”. Even if you have a card that allows you to not draw, you still lose, because hypothetically, IF you NEEDED to draw, and couldn’t, then you lose, even if you actually don’t need to draw.

But you also said

If you run out of cards in your deck, you instantly lose the game as it is assumed you have lost your power, which stems from your cards. Since you have lost your power, your creatures and spells all vanish and your opponent’s creatures kill you.

And this makes perfect sense because you just jumped from “I lost all my cards → I lost my power → Inevitable death” to “I’m going to lose my cards soon → I’m going to pretend all my cards are gone → I lost my power → Inevitable death.” Because almost vulnerability has always meant vulnerability.

Now, what good mechanic is it to not only make the last card meaningless, but now the last two cards meaningless?

All energy cards produce one energy per turn. That’s why I said “count the number of energy cards in your energy pile and add that to your energy total”.

But we just discussed adding effects and tiers to Energies? And where are we going to describe them?

Energy creep destroyed FGF Warcards. Just sayin.

All skills can target allies AND enemies unless stated otherwise. Dunno why you’d want to sabotage your own creatures, though(two creatures, because if the Goblin uses Flamethrower he can’t attack that turn), unless you’re playing a handicapped match?

Because possible sneaky mechanics. Darkness is supposed to be subtle, right?

Flag Post
Originally posted by RandomTurtle:

Any good?

It looks great. BUT; could you make the writing a bit bigger.

Wanna be a tester. Finally I can understand a Card game hosted in fgf.

Flag Post

Your cards are the source of all your power. If you have no more cards, you are alone and unarmed against all the vicious creatures on your opponent’s battlefield. As a human, you are physically weak. Even a Dancing Spark could obliterate your corpse. Most TCGs run on this mechanic so I assume it’s okay.

-

What’s energy creep?
-
Darkness is the opposite of subtle. It’s actually very similar to fire. Except Fire is a berserker, going on a crazy rampage, while Darkness destroys with thoroughness and extreme prejudice. Light, the opposite of Darkness, is subtle. It appears weak, but is actually strong. You will fail if you try to smash your army against it. Water is also subtle, being the opposite of Fire. Its poison effects are very weak, but they stack up deceptively quickly.