Beasts of War[BETA] page 2 (locked)

165 posts

Flag Post

Also, what if say I have more cards than mr Nubfaic will my cards attack mr Nubfaic’s wall?

Flag Post

Question #1: Will there be any special walls?
Question #2: If your monster does ranged attacks will there be a chance it does not take any power damage? (if its attacking a close range monster)

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

Your cards are the source of all your power. If you have no more cards, you are alone and unarmed against all the vicious creatures on your opponent’s battlefield. As a human, you are physically weak. Even a Dancing Spark could obliterate your corpse. Most TCGs run on this mechanic so I assume it’s okay.

-

What’s energy creep?
-
Darkness is the opposite of subtle. It’s actually very similar to fire. Except Fire is a berserker, going on a crazy rampage, while Darkness destroys with thoroughness and extreme prejudice. Light, the opposite of Darkness, is subtle. It appears weak, but is actually strong. You will fail if you try to smash your army against it. Water is also subtle, being the opposite of Fire. Its poison effects are very weak, but they stack up deceptively quickly.

I would be ok if you did exactly what you just typed.

Most TCGs run on the condition that you actually have no cards left to draw and you must draw them. Thus, all cards are meaningful.

Don’t assume an orange because apples. Your card game now makes the last two cards meaningless. If you have the same mechanic, why is it so? Is it really that necessary to make the last two cards meaningless? Not only that, but you have jumped across different conditions at least twice thoughout this questioning.

-

The term coined by Devourer in this thread. In FGF Warcards people were able to buy energy cards that gave more than basic ones. In practice, this completely offset the balance of the game.

-

Wait, isn’t Darkness’ name implies subtleness? You cannot see the attacks, you cannot defend yourself against them, that is sort of the mentality behind the name, while Light really implies supporting effects.

Flag Post

Can we add all the other elements from Elements?

I don’t think your Fire deck completely reflects the blitzkrieg style of Fire. Too much “Don’t attack one turn and gain 1000.” Can I make another one and send it to you for moderation? Wait, actually I’ll send it to Devourer first, then we can discuss. From experience he is great with balancing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by T6salt:
Originally posted by RandomTurtle:

Any good?

It looks great. BUT; could you make the writing a bit bigger.

Wanna be a tester. Finally I can understand a Card game hosted in fgf.

Large print.

Flag Post

Awesome.

Why haven’t I been added to be a tester?

Flag Post

I will sign up to test.

Flag Post

For the record I am not testing, just passing through.

Flag Post

Did you read the gameplay post? “At the start of your turn, you draw one card”.

Excuse me while I facepalm in the corner. I can’t believe I missed this.

All energy cards produce one energy per turn. That’s why I said “count the number of energy cards in your energy pile and add that to your energy total”.

You also said in the same description that you could buy energy cards that gave more energy. As such, I wouldn’t know what you were going for.

Dunno why you’d want to sabotage your own creatures, though(two creatures, because if the Goblin uses Flamethrower he can’t attack that turn), unless you’re playing a handicapped match?

I can see uses for it.

Energy creep destroyed FGF Warcards. Just sayin.

Which is why we’re not having it here. All energy cards besides Basic Energy should have one special effect and one energy gain. This special effect should be balanced.

What’s energy creep?

Power creep of energy gain.

Question #2: If your monster does ranged attacks will there be a chance it does not take any power damage? (if its attacking a close range monster)

While I know I’m not helltank, I’ll respond to this anyways. I believe this would be stated in passives. I feel that dividing creatures into sub-categories would just unnecessarily complicate things.

Wait, isn’t Darkness’ name implies subtleness? You cannot see the attacks, you cannot defend yourself against them, that is sort of the mentality behind the name, while Light really implies supporting effects.

Meh, it really doesn’t matter. Just read the descriptions. Darkness can also mean dark magic, as in offensive magic.

Large print.

As a player opinion, this seems painfully large. Could you make it bigger than the smaller print yet smaller than this one :P?

Flag Post

EBWOP:

Note to all:The Beasts of War forum may be found at http://beastsofwar.punbb-hosting.com. A complete list of cards and decks, as well as a forum for strategy discussions, may be found there. Do critique cards at the strategy discussion forum rather than at the thread of the card itself in the Cards forum.

When creating threads for newly-created cards and decks, use the Editor account(its password is “helltank” without the quotation marks) so that anyone can edit those threads, just like a wiki.

Ooh, I like this method. I have one concern though. Can you view what edits were made when they are made? If not, I would recommend against making the Editor public as malevolent changes would be impossible to prevent. I feel that allowing players to post and comment on things is good enough. Players shouldn’t be modifying decks/cards for you in the first place.

Flag Post

^To that, Not really as the letters would be very deformed. They can be 3×5 (5×5) or 6×10 (10×10) pixels. (The brackets are for letters that can’t be stored in a 3×5).

Bad Pheonix.

Flag Post

I would like to beta test

Flag Post

Is it just me, or is the Fire Starter Deck only 25 cards?

Flag Post

I have made the Order Starter deck for beta, which is not revealed yet. I am currently working on Chaos.

Flag Post

Some comments:
1. Why did you put Firespitter Goblin before the spells, but the other creatures after? It bothers me.
2. Do the starter decks all need the same card amounts (10-1-5-2-2-3-1-1), or are the only standard things Basic Energy, Last Shield, the amount of Last Shields (1), and 30 total cards?

Flag Post

T6salt:Your creatures attack his wall only if he has no creatures left.

Gammaflux:Probably not at this point due to concerns about new players getting stuck with shitty walls while veterans roflstomp them.

Also, there is no such thing as a “ranged attack”.
-
Zzzip, okay. Now the mechanic is changed to “if you must draw a card and can’t, you lose”.
Although you can’t defend what you can’t see, subtleness(ie. Order and Light) creates attacks that are not attacks at all. They sit there passively, doing nothing but playing energy cards and minor creatures. They’re no threat to you. Which is why you’ll find the sudden onslaught of ubercreatures unexpected. THAT is subtle.

-
No, Elements has too many elements. If you feel there is a problem with the Fire Starter deck, please say so and I’ll revise it. The cards in the starter deck will still remain, however, though they may not be in the deck any more.
-
Devourer, Editor is public because then everyone, not just me, can update the forum, which makes it more up-to-date as there are more updaters. In the old FGFWarcards wiki, anyone could edit, yet there were no trolls. Also my forum lists IP addresses, so if someone uses Editor and tries something funny, I know his IP and I can pinpoint who he is, change the password to Editor and tell everyone but him.
-
Sorry efar, we have enough beta testers.
-
Devourer posts 2 and 3:
Starter decks can have any amount of creatures they like(BCLEGENDS’ prototype Darkness deck has a completely different portions of creatures. The only common thread is that all starter decks must have 1 Last Shield and 30 total cards. Amount of Basic Energy is up to you.

Oops! Yes, the Fire Starter deck has 25 cards. Going to edit it so there’s five Dancing Sparks and 3 Smouldering Golems.

Flag Post

T6salt:Your creatures attack his wall only if he has no creatures left.

Gammaflux:Probably not at this point due to concerns about new players getting stuck with shitty walls while veterans roflstomp them.

Also, there is no such thing as a “ranged attack”.
-
Zzzip, okay. Now the mechanic is changed to “if you must draw a card and can’t, you lose”.
Although you can’t defend what you can’t see, subtleness(ie. Order and Light) creates attacks that are not attacks at all. They sit there passively, doing nothing but playing energy cards and minor creatures. They’re no threat to you. Which is why you’ll find the sudden onslaught of ubercreatures unexpected. THAT is subtle.

-
No, Elements has too many elements. If you feel there is a problem with the Fire Starter deck, please say so and I’ll revise it. The cards in the starter deck will still remain, however, though they may not be in the deck any more.
-
Devourer, Editor is public because then everyone, not just me, can update the forum, which makes it more up-to-date as there are more updaters. In the old FGFWarcards wiki, anyone could edit, yet there were no trolls. Also my forum lists IP addresses, so if someone uses Editor and tries something funny, I know his IP and I can pinpoint who he is, change the password to Editor and tell everyone but him.
-
Sorry efar, we have enough beta testers.
-
Devourer posts 2 and 3:
Starter decks can have any amount of creatures they like(BCLEGENDS’ prototype Darkness deck has a completely different portions of creatures. The only common thread is that all starter decks must have 1 Last Shield and 30 total cards. Amount of Basic Energy is up to you.

Oops! Yes, the Fire Starter deck has 25 cards. Going to edit it so there’s five Dancing Sparks and 3 Smouldering Golems.

1. Weren’t you going to have a Tier 2? Didn’t this have an advantage to gameplay according to Devourer?

2. Why not? Are you putting this restriction on those who are going to make decks?

3. I have a better idea. Since we must do this “When I lose all cards everything on my field vaporizes” thing, why not just make it as simple as possible. You lose when you have 0 cards in your deck at any time.

4. To your argument. So anything unexpected is subtle? Do you even know what subtle means? It means unleashing a plan that causes no immediate threat, visible damage, suspicion to the opponent, and is hard to counter directly. Such a plan unnoticed will ultimately kill the opponent. The downside is complexity and time to execute. A rush is visible, immediately dangerous, and aims to kill before anything can be done about it. Just because I expect a stall from you and you play a rush, does NOT mean your style of play is subtle.

5. Fire to me is mostly immediate high-damage creatures that either kill themselves or get killed immediately. Your deck has a more complex relationship between Phoenix and Dancing Spark, and also a lot of creatures have the “Don’t attack and gain power” mechanic.

6. I’m volunteering to make them. Do you want the game to have less variety?

7. Why don’t you just get a trusted council from selected beta testers and make them editors? This way its assured that some random non-fgf troll or some raging player doesn’t screw things up.

Flag Post

which makes it more up-to-date as there are more updaters.

And how would they know whether or not something should be updated when updates come from you? The only use I can see from this is if you suddenly disappear and a co-host has to take over, and even then, just giving co-hosts the password would have the same effect.

In the old FGFWarcards wiki, anyone could edit, yet there were no trolls.

I prevented people from editing the cards themselves (only Z, IE, Yiu and I had mod capabilities). Editing was extremely limited, and I only used a wiki for a sense of organization, a failed strategy discussion section, and a failed attempt to instill community effort. I may just be being paranoid, but…

Flag Post

2. Why not? Are you putting this restriction on those who are going to make decks?

In order not to overcomplicate things, I would guess. If you want a ranged attack type option, simple passives would suffice. It allows for broader creativity.

You lose when you have 0 cards in your deck at any time.

Isn’t that what he was originally saying?

I’m volunteering to make them. Do you want the game to have less variety?

I’d rather not overload things; you should know the problem with taking on an extreme workload. It’s not hard to make an expansion if adding more elements looks good later. Then again, if you truly have the time to make them, it’s up to helltank, I guess.

Flag Post

Zzzip:
1. I was going to have a Tier 2, but your points about energy creep made me decide to scrap it.
2. What restriction? Clarify what you mean?
3. THAT WAS MY ORIGINAL RULE, MAN.
4. Whatever. You can debate the flavor of the elements till the cows come home. If you want subtlety, I’ll point you to Order and Light. Whether you choose to play those elements is up to you.
5. True enough. Which is why I’m modifying the Fire Starter deck.
6. No, I want it to have less complexity. I don’t want to have to make 16 different starter decks and have newbies all go “WHOO, WHICH IS THE BEST ELEMENT???”(which is what happens in Elements).
7. Once the game goes into full version, I’ll change the password and let those I trust know about the new password. Right now I need all the help I can get as I’m putting up lots of new cards and decks. Later on it’ll be one new card at a time(according to player’s suggestions or my own thoughts).
-

Devourer:
1. See point number 7. On my convo with Zzip.

Flag Post

ok I have 2 more questions for you.

Will you add any items to the game? Example: Fire Sword: Your ally gains +(X) amount of power. (It does not count as the allies hp) 25% burn chance of 300 power for 3 turns. (only allies with hands or telekinesis may use this.) takes 1 item slot.

and my other question is: Do you think if you add Hp, Attack, and (Defense usually zero) as 3 separate stats instead of just one power stat for all units would make the game better? Example: Dancing Spark (Energy cost: 1, Hp: 1000, Attack: 500) obviously this is just an example on the stats (And not a very good one at that)

Flag Post

No, I want to keep the game simple. If the game goes well, I’m considering adding “Weapons”. Weapons increase a creatures power and can be attached to a creature to increase his power. If that creature is killed, the Weapon transfers to the killer.

-

Important rule:The player who goes first cannot draw a card on his first turn. Furthermore, NOBODY can attack on their first turn.

Flag Post

i can help draw cards

Flag Post

Zzzip:
1. I was going to have a Tier 2, but your points about energy creep made me decide to scrap it.
2. What restriction? Clarify what you mean?
3. THAT WAS MY ORIGINAL RULE, MAN.
4. Whatever. You can debate the flavor of the elements till the cows come home. If you want subtlety, I’ll point you to Order and Light. Whether you choose to play those elements is up to you.
5. True enough. Which is why I’m modifying the Fire Starter deck.
6. No, I want it to have less complexity. I don’t want to have to make 16 different starter decks and have newbies all go “WHOO, WHICH IS THE BEST ELEMENT???”(which is what happens in Elements).
7. Once the game goes into full version, I’ll change the password and let those I trust know about the new password. Right now I need all the help I can get as I’m putting up lots of new cards and decks. Later on it’ll be one new card at a time(according to player’s suggestions or my own thoughts).
-

Devourer:
1. See point number 7. On my convo with Zzip.

1. Devourer came up with benefits for T2 which apparently you didn’t read.
2. So we can’t make abilities that don’t deduct from the user’s power level?
3. Yeah, it was your original rule. Except it jumped to “If you needed to draw a card, and you couldn’t, pretend all cards are gone.” And then you jumped to something else that I can’t compute. And now you just jumped back to your original rule except you made it sound complicated to newbies.
4. My main purpose was how to discern Darkness from Fire.
5. Ok.
6. No, I’m volunteering to make them. More cards means more possibilities and more strategical value. Is newbs asking for the best element really what you are most concerned about?

Flag Post

Anyways here is my deck, I gtg for school. It’s not completely balanced yet, but heres the basic idea.

Order Starter Deck

20x Basic Energy
1x Last Shield
1x Golden Hourglass of the Instant
2x Golden Obelisk of the Eternal
2x Counterclockwise
2x Anubis
1x Prophet
1x Chronophage

Last Shield
Wall
None
Energy Cost 0
Power Level 10000
Abilities:
Wall(Passive)This card may not be attacked until there are no other allied creatures on the battlefield.
Non-Living(Passive)Creatures that attack this card do not have their power level reduced.

Golden Hourglass of the Instant
Spell
Order
Energy Cost 10
After applying cost, double your Total Energy. Remove all Energy Cards to the Graveyard.

Golden Obelisk of the Eternal
Permanent
Order
Energy Cost 10
Constant(Passive): Starting on your next turn, compare your Total Energy with your opponent’s at the start of each of your turns. When opponent’s Total Energy is greater than yours, remove this permanent.
Dynamcity(Passive): Remove seven Energy from your Total Energy at the beginning of each of your turns, excluding the turn it is played.
Stasis: At the beginning of each of your turns, you may choose to omit the creature attacking phase for both you and your opponent for one round.

Counterclockwise
Creature
Order
Energy Cost 10
Power Level 5000
Abilities:
Causality(Passive): If destroyed by a Creature, send said Creature to the top of your Opponent’s Deck.
Diminishment(Passive): Lose 1500 Power Level each of your turns, excluding the turn it is played. After the third turn, you may add the cost needed to play this card to your Total Energy. This card is converted to Clockwise.
Rewind: Send one of your cards back into your hand and add its Energy Cost to your Total Energy. This card may not attack this turn. May target self.

Anubis
Creature
Order
Energy Cost 30
Power Level 7500
Abilities:
Timeless(Passive): Cards killed normally by Anubis are not sent to the Graveyard. They are removed completely from the game.
Raising Call: Pay 10 Energy and play free of cost the top card in the Graveyard. May be used more than once per turn.
Soul Collection: Pay 5 Energy. For 1 Round, Creatures killed by Anubis are deposited in your Graveyard.

Prophet
Creature
Order
Energy Cost 25
Power Level 5000
Abilities:
Prophecy of the Fulfillment: Pay 5 Energy. After two turns, you may choose to draw one card from your deck in addition to your normal draw. Chosen card is drawn before normal draw.
Prophecy of the Prosperity: Pay X Energy. For every 5 Energies paid, both you and your Opponent draws that amount of cards.
Prophecy of the Scarcity: Pay 5 Energy. Skip the Draw cards phase next turn and reshuffle your deck, also applied next turn.
Prophecy of the Enlightenment: Pay X Energy. For every 5 Energies paid, see the cards in both you and your Opponent’s Deck, beginning with the top card.
Prophecy of the Ignorance: Pay 5 Energy. Both you and your Opponent adds their hand to their deck. Reshuffle the deck. You and your Opponent both draw 7 cards.
Prophecy of the True Domination: Pay 10 Energy. You may rearrange the top 5 cards of both you and your Opponent’s Deck.

Chronophage
Creature
Order
Energy Cost 75
Power Level 10000
Abilities:
Curse of the Future: Pay 5 Energy. Target a Creature. Creature will die inevitably in two turns.
Curse of the Present: Pay 5 Energy. Mark a Creature. If this Creature is killed this turn, add its Power Level before it was killed to Chronophage.
Curse of the Past: Pay 5 Energy. Target a Creature. Creature will inevitably die if Opponent has less Total Energy than said Creature’s Cost on your Opponent’s turn.

Clockwise
Creature
Order
Energy Cost N/A
Power Level 500
Abilities:
Acceleration(Passive): Gain 500 Power Level per turn.