(Gaming Tournament) Super Star Showdown 2012: Kongregate vs Armor Games page 10

331 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by aturtledoesbite:

In all honesty, there’s no way to say whether we would have been so against this game if we had better luck and beat y’all’s scores. We may never know. But frankly, it’s not in the scope of any of you, host included, to claim that our loss is the source.

I don’t know how you guys run tournaments over on AG. I don’t even know if you do at all (various comments suggest that you do). I also don’t know how your tournaments are run. But here, you know what usually happens when a game is overly luck-based or bugged or whatnot? It’s changed to a better game, one that’s more apt to judge the competitors’ skills.

The AG tournaments have a much looser structure than the Kongregate competitions.

It’s very, very different from how we’d do a spreadsheet tourney. You really can’t make a comparison between them.

Flag Post

“That was an outstanding maneuver from WiiPlayer and he’s not even known for doing that.”

But Josh… I thought I was known for doing that…

Flag Post
Originally posted by ZombiestookmyTV:

Can someone tell me the history about this tournament?

When did it start?
Who won last year and the year before etc etc.
When did this start.

Sure.

It started in May of 2009 on MiniClip. I believe it was the fifth tournament that I hosted. The first one had 32 gamers and had five rounds to it. I was the winner in the finals over BabyPunkest.

The 2010 edition, was hosted on a sports forum. We had gamers coming from everywhere to play but the draw was a bit smaller. The finals came down to CNX and De Joeri from MiniClip (IMO the best gamers that I’ve ever competed with) and was won by CNX.

In 2011, I opened it up on Kongregate and told everyone that it would be a tournament for teams of two. About midway through the sign-up process, I decided to add another forum to the competition but didn’t tell anyone. After the gamers from Kongregate were teamed up, I announced that they’d have to compete against the MiniClip forums in addition to each other. This marked the first time that a tournament had been contested between two forums.

In the end Kongregate blew out the MiniClip forums because the MiniClip mods felt that I was advertising the Kong forum over theirs and decided to shut it down. The finals came down to MaistlinRajere/Seefu Sefirosu competing against racefan/AdeebNafees, with the perceived underdog team coming through in a tight match, to win their first Super Star Showdown title.

That now brings us to today.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

“That was an outstanding maneuver from WiiPlayer and he’s not even known for doing that.”

But Josh… I thought I was known for doing that…

Lol, oh maybe you were. I’ve always associated the “ninja finisher” with Cirpacha.

Flag Post

Wow, so you really have a history with this competition. That was nice to know. Thanks.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ZombiestookmyTV:

Wow, so you really have a history with this competition. That was nice to know. Thanks.

Yes, I do. It’s the only competition which I host annually. Those names which I posted in the first post of the thread weren’t made up. They are the winners of the tournament by year.

Leo, can also verify this as he competed in the 2010 Super Star Showdown.

Flag Post

Next game pl0x?

Flag Post

Round two will be up within the next the next day.

Sorry for the delay but I have some updating to do.:(

Flag Post

The draw is now up.

A couple of days ago, I said I was going to use a game which bears resemblance to Sonic the Hedgehog. Well, after looking at the draw I realized it would be a mistake to pull it out this early. Instead, I’ll be using the game which I had planned to use in the finals.

You guys will be playing Nano Ninja for this round.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Rogerup/nano-ninja?acomplete=nano+ninja"

Back story: Not a whole lot to say on this one. It was a fun game that I first played in the finals of Loloy’s 5th tournament.

It’s also a great choice for people who hate the luck factor. It repeats exactly the same way every time you play.

Note The players, with the best time will move in to the quarter-finals. You need only be concerned about your opponents score.

Round 2 will end on Friday, January 25th at 11:59 PM GMT.

Flag Post

Flag Post

So we’re going for time, not clicks?

Flag Post

Yes, it’s just the time.

Flag Post

with the perceived underdog team coming through in a tight match

:P

Everyone loves a good underdog story.

Flag Post

Underdog? Is Newgrounds making an unexpected entry into the tourney?

Flag Post

Armor Games has them some good gamers.

Flag Post

Indeed we do. Kongregate, not so much, not this year anyway. There are 16 left, 11 AG 5 Kong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheMostManlyMan:

Indeed we do. Kongregate, not so much, not this year anyway. There are 16 left, 11 AG 5 Kong.

I could list a load for you.

Flag Post

However, Armor Games is guaranteed to lose at least 3 people this round.

Flag Post

That remains to be seen. The best gamers from our side are still active in the tournament.

Flag Post

After this round, I think it’ll be AG- 5, Kong- 3.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

After this round, I think it’ll be AG- 5, Kong- 3.

Maybe, though the scores posted from Kong players aren’t good, and there’s only two of them. Even though holding out scores is within the rules, it’s kind of…unsporting, I think, to just try and pull out the better score blindly.

Flag Post

You haven’t seen how we do tournaments around here :p

Flag Post

Flag Post
Originally posted by ShawnerSSS:

You haven’t seen how we do tournaments around here :p

It’s too bad you didn’t sign up. AG brought all of their best players to the table but we needed more of the spreadsheet gamers.:(

Flag Post

This is Forum Games, not the main Kongregate forum. You shouldn’t expect (or desire) the competition here to be as cut-throat as it is there. This forum is much more fun-loving and carefree. Don’t get me wrong, we still want to win—we just may not go to the same lengths to try to get that done.