(Gaming Tournament) Super Star Showdown 2012: Kongregate vs Armor Games page 13

331 posts

Flag Post

Maist, you’re our hero. Our savior. And our best player. Now go beat AG into ashes and win. You have FG’s support. <3

Flag Post
Originally posted by hamuka:

Maist, you’re our hero. Our savior. And our best player. Now go beat AG into ashes and win. You have all of Kong’s support. <3

fixed

Flag Post

I’m considering signing however since this would be my first time, I’d like to know what genre of games will be selected for the tourney or if it will be random genres.

Flag Post

all of Kong’s support.

Not me.

Originally posted by WillItBlend:

I’m considering signing however since this would be my first time, I’d like to know what genre of games will be selected for the tourney or if it will be random genres.

wat, in the final round
wat

Flag Post

^^ Eh?

I’m just asking for more detail.

Flag Post

^^ Eh?

I’m just asking for more detail.

The tournament is already nearly over, which means you can’t sign.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jaskaran2000:

all of Kong’s support.

Not me.

Party pooper >:(

Flag Post

I’ll be hosting the Super Star Showdown 2013 as a spreadsheet tournament. You can sign up for that once I get it going.

Flag Post

Intro: Since it’s inception in 2009. The Super Star Showdown has held a unique legacy amongst the many gaming competitions. Over one hundred gamers have entered this tournament at one point or another. Hoping to capture the highly, sought after title. To date, only four players have been able to do it. Myself, CNX, Racefan, and Adeeb Nafees.

This week, a new name will be added to that list. Two gamers from opposing forums will begin their battle. The winner, claims victory for their forum and the title of Super Star Showdown Champion.

Will it be MaistlinRajere? A finalist in last year’s tournament who’s gotten here with his gaming prowess and deceptive strategical skills? Or thebluerabbit? A gamer long regarded as one of Armor Game’s best. His quick, problem solving skills, paved the way for a place in the finals. Now only one player stands between him and the trophy. Possibly the toughest challenge he’s had to date.

It’s MaistlinRajere vs thebluerabbit and it’s coming up next.

Games: Since it’s the finals, I’m going to get a little elaborate here. This time, there will be three games and you need to have the better score in at least two of them to win.

1. Epic Combo.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/epic-combo?acomplete=epic+combo&#8221;

Backstory: This should be an obvious one. Great game. I played it for the first time in the Kongrefeint finals. You need to play it in the original mode.

2. Miami Shark

http://www.kongregate.com/games/wiesi/miami-shark?acomplete=miami+shark&#8221;

Backstory: Absolutely loved this game when I first played it in Loloynage’s fifth tournament. My opponent once again was SourWhatup2.

3. Space Pips

http://www.kongregate.com/games/wmarsh/space-pips?acomplete=space+pips&#8221;

Backstory: Another classic. I’ve been wanting to use it in a tournament for a long time but never got around to it until now. First discovered it in 2010.

The winner of this match gets the trophy sig, trophy avatar (when I get it done,) and bragging rights for life.:)

Good luck.

Flag Post

Almost forgot. The finals end on Friday, February 15th 2013 at 11:59 PM (GMT.)

Flag Post

Epic Combo’s good, and Space Pips looks like fun, but Miami Shark? In a final? Why not just have them roll a dice?

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

Epic Combo’s good, and Space Pips looks like fun, but Miami Shark? In a final? Why not just have them roll a dice?

In what sense are you talking about? The boats, birds, people, and planes, spawn in the same location everytime you play. There’s no luck involved.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Go Maist Go!

Flag Post

Like a boss.

Flag Post

I suppose you can have such score if you use lagging computer. for teh Shark game you have to have more reflexes. Thats why i got higher score. For me , a winner who uses lag to complete a game, is not a winner at all.

Flag Post
Originally posted by xxerox:

I suppose you can have such score if you use lagging computer. for teh Shark game you have to have more reflexes. Thats why i got higher score. For me , a winner who uses lag to complete a game, is not a winner at all.

Khmmm, Maist is one of our best players. And I highly doubt he’s lagging if he got 1 billion (!) points in Solipskier.

Flag Post

There’s a difference between inducing lag and using a computer that is slow. I frown upon inducing lag, e.g. opening a lot of programs to slow you compute down, or using a program to slow down your game. But I don’t think it’s cheating if one has a computer that is a bit old and slow, and uses that. If that were the case, you’d basically have to disallow everyone who can’t afford to buy a new computer from joining in the first place, which just isn’t fair.

I don’t induce lag when playing competitively, whether it’s in a tournament, or with friends. But my computer is a little bit old, though I don’t think it’s old enough to make much of a difference.

The main thing about getting a low time in Epic Combo is figuring out a good strategy. After that you just have to be able to do it flawlessly and quickly.

I don’t think there’s much strategy to Sydney Shark. It’s just nomming as much stuff as possible as fast as you can.

Space Pips is all about getting that maximum combo, and keeping it there by not getting hit. It would theoretically be possible to get an infinite score.

That’s pretty much all I have to say about the three games.

Khmmm, Maist is one of our best players.

Thanks! I’m flattered.

1 billion

rawr

Flag Post

Actually lag in Epic Combo has a negative effect on performance. The game’s timer runs at a constant speed and is unaffected by lag. So if you do lag, you’re just making your runs take longer.

And Miami Shark is a bullshit game. Last time it was used in a Kong tournament it had to be changed because the majority of players agreed that there was no real strategy to the game, and that high scores were essentially based on luck, not skill.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

Khmmm, Maist is one of our best players.

Thanks! I’m flattered.

Look, I’m just speaking the truth. If, say, I had a duel with you, I’d instaquit. No really, I’d have no chance. I was first in Redemptnom, but you pwned that score so hard I had to search for an hour to find and post it. ;)

Anyway, enough talk, let’s wait for the blue rabbits to post their scores.

Flag Post

There actually is some strategy to the game. It just doesn’t involve slowing down your computer.

I can routinely get in the 2 million range and my best over was over 2,300,000.

I’ll explain it once the tournament is over.

Flag Post

The Super Star Showdown will end in two hours.

As it stands right now:

MaistlinRajere leads thebluerabbit 3-0

1:28 to 3:07 in Epic Combo

1,763,300 to 1,570,622 in Miami Shark

772,000 to 312,900 in Space Pips

Flag Post

w00t!

Flag Post

Time’s up, this round is over. Congratulations MaistlinRajere. You are the is the 2012 Super Star Showdown champion. This means Kongregate has triumphed over Armor Games and is now 2-0 when competing against the other forums.

Maistlin, as the winner of the tournament. I would like to present you with the Champion’s trophy sig:

Your name will now appear alongside the other former champions from this point forward. Congratulations.

I’d like to thank everyone who participated for making this a very memorable experience. I really enjoyed being your host.

I’ve been at this since 2009 and while it’s common for the novelty to eventually wear off, this tournament brought back a lot of the memories and excitement from those early days on MiniClip. When my ideas were raw and every step was a journey into the unknown.

We managed to get a great turn out on both forums, I also think the competitive level was very high all the way through. You guys, did a great job of representing your forums!:)

I’ll be sending out some interview questions for MaistlinRajere and thebluerabbit. Should have them posted on here and (AG) in a few days.

Thanks again to everyone for making the tournament a great success!:)

Flag Post

Who’s hosting the next one?