(Gaming Tournament) Super Star Showdown 2012: Kongregate vs Armor Games page 9

331 posts

Flag Post

All right guys, I’ve taken some time to think about it and I’ve made up my mind.

We’re not changing the game. It’s too close to the end of the round for me to make a change. I know some people don’t like this game, some say it’s too luck based, but it’s still been used successfully in tournaments on both websites (including spreadsheets.)

I recognize the work that you’ve all put into playing the game. Those efforts shouldn’t go to waste. Besides, a lot of players could greatly improve their positioning, if they’d really try.

 
Flag Post

Time left till end of tourney Josh?

 
Flag Post

About 20 hours, now. Subtract 4 hours from the current time, round to the nearest hour (or half hour if you’re in one of those funny time zones).

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by T6salt:

We have 7: Me, Ham, Blizz, MNIN, sourwhatup, turtle, DAZ

Just so you know I didn’t vote for it. And I’m not part of the kong group.. So. Yeah.

 
Flag Post

You guys should try to get good scores instead of arguing about the game!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by soccerdude2:

You guys should try to get good scores instead of arguing about the game!

See, this is the problem, though. Getting good scores is a matter of playing the game long enough until the Random Number God decides you can get one. Tournaments shouldn’t be measurements of time or luck. They should be measurements of skill. Especially in a tournament like this, where the point is to find the best player out of our two websites.

Also, either your forums don’t use the same accounts as the main AG site or they’re janked the hell up. I had an AG account from…I dunno how long ago, at least a couple of years, so I signed into it to see if I could post in the thread on your end. Well, on the forum page, it said I wasn’t logged into anything, even though going to any game on AG said I was.

 
Flag Post

That’s just a glitch that happens I think. It should work if you keep on the same tab or whatever.

 
Flag Post

Good news. The player’s cards should be done fairly soon.:)

Edit: The first player’s card is finished. I should have the rest up within the next few days.

 
Flag Post

So, I just scoured through the AG forums, hoping I’d see my opponent’s score finally.

Guess what I’ve found?

Originally posted by JoshDragon:

That’s why I’m reluctant to change the game. For the most part, nobody on AG has said anything bad about the game.

I think the complaints coming from Kongregate are largely due to them losing their first round matches.

…Explanation please. I posted a 4 paragraph post stating not one, but 2 logical reasons for changing the game. It’s not that I’m raging due to losing in Round 1; I’m really used to losing in tourneys early, so I wouldn’t give a crap. I’m raging because I lose early due to a game that relies almost 100% on luck, plus it’s buggy. That just makes the skillful players fall facedown early, and make the other team win.
In the end, we’ll have incredibly crappy players that only moved forward due to being lucky, but don’t really deserve the title of the Super Star.

I’m sorry if I only made you mad by typing this rant. I know how I’d feel if all people insulted one of my favorite games due to being luck-based and stuff. But really, the players are the ones who play the tourney, and their reviews should be respected. :)

EDIT: I’ve just realized I spent 20 minutes on writing this, while there were 2 hours ’till the deadline. Way to waste my time. >.<

 
Flag Post

More than 2 hours. I do believe that Josh is ending it on 7/8 P.M. Central ’Merica time (midnight somewhere) so you still have a good 3 or 4 hours left.

 
Flag Post

As far as I know (haven’t checked in a while), my opponent hasn’t even posted a score. And yet I want this game changed. Replaying a game, especially one like Plumet, for hours waiting for a run where luck decides you deserve a slap in the face later than in previous runs is not fun and people should not be eliminated for not wanting to grind the crap out of a game like that. Eliminations should be based on lack of skill, not lack of good luck. This is also why Canabalt is a bad tournament game. And Up Down Ready.

EDIT: Sorry, maybe I got a little too angry there. But still, my point stands; eliminations should be based on lack of skill, not lack of good luck.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by TheMostManlyMan:

More than 2 hours. I do believe that Josh is ending it on 7/8 P.M. Central ’Merica time (midnight somewhere) so you still have a good 3 or 4 hours left.

Nope. Ending at midnight GMT, which is in about 2 hours.

 
Flag Post

Splendid! Now I can stop worrying so much!

 
Flag Post

 
Flag Post

Well I feel quite cozy where I am, unless you post a better score than me in the next five minutes, eProdegy, then I continue.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by TheMostManlyMan:

Well I feel quite cozy where I am, unless you post a better score than me in the next five minutes, eProdegy, then I continue.

Oh shi-
Congratulations to you, MostManlyMan for being lucky enough to have an opponent who is busy with projects thus resulting in my unsteady visits to the ArmorGames forums and not realizing you scored higher than me since last time I checked. Sorry for letting you down, Kongregate. I have faith in the remaining players on Kongregate to score a victory. YOLO!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Blizzard2000:

Eliminations should be based on lack of skill, not lack of good luck. This is also why Canabalt is a bad tournament game. And Up Down Ready.

Canabalt isn’t actually that luck-based; I find it has just the right skill-luck ratio. I think I demonstrated this the last time it was used in a tournament: Link (scroll right on that page). You’ll see that the same players who got the highest scores were those who a) played the least, and b) travelled further on average each run. Not what you’d see for a luck-based game.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by hamuka:

So, I just scoured through the AG forums, hoping I’d see my opponent’s score finally.

Guess what I’ve found?

Originally posted by JoshDragon:

That’s why I’m reluctant to change the game. For the most part, nobody on AG has said anything bad about the game.

I think the complaints coming from Kongregate are largely due to them losing their first round matches.

…Explanation please. I posted a 4 paragraph post stating not one, but 2 logical reasons for changing the game. It’s not that I’m raging due to losing in Round 1; I’m really used to losing in tourneys early, so I wouldn’t give a crap. I’m raging because I lose early due to a game that relies almost 100% on luck, plus it’s buggy. That just makes the skillful players fall facedown early, and make the other team win.
In the end, we’ll have incredibly crappy players that only moved forward due to being lucky, but don’t really deserve the title of the Super Star.

I’m sorry if I only made you mad by typing this rant. I know how I’d feel if all people insulted one of my favorite games due to being luck-based and stuff. But really, the players are the ones who play the tourney, and their reviews should be respected. :)

EDIT: I’ve just realized I spent 20 minutes on writing this, while there were 2 hours ’till the deadline. Way to waste my time. >.<

Even though the complaints may be valid (they aren’t in my opinion), that doesn’t mean they weren’t fueled by losing. Your rant may be totally unbiased in the case of losing, but I would really say that most complaints here are “largely” because of players losing.

And good luck in the next round everyone! I hope I quoted right too.

 
Flag Post

In all honesty, there’s no way to say whether we would have been so against this game if we had better luck and beat y’all’s scores. We may never know. But frankly, it’s not in the scope of any of you, host included, to claim that our loss is the source.

I don’t know how you guys run tournaments over on AG. I don’t even know if you do at all (various comments suggest that you do). I also don’t know how your tournaments are run. But here, you know what usually happens when a game is overly luck-based or bugged or whatnot? It’s changed to a better game, one that’s more apt to judge the competitors’ skills.

 
Flag Post

Round one is over.

Congrats to everyone who survived. I know there were quite a few people who were upset by the “luck” factor in Plumet. But for those people, I have some great news. I’ve got a game planned for round 2 which is entirely skill based.

Also, this one is a lot of fun. In my opinion, it very reminiscent of the old 16 bit Sonic the Hedgehog games.

 
Flag Post

It has to be Runner…

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

It has to be Runner…

No. It’s much better than Runner.

 
Flag Post

GG sour.


But seriously, this is a fav Josh?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by JoshDragon:
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

It has to be Runner…

No. It’s much better than Runner.

So… When are we going to find out what it is?

 
Flag Post

Can someone tell me the history about this tournament?

When did it start?
Who won last year and the year before etc etc.
When did this start.