Your Tale(CYOP)(Back, after a short break) (locked)

76 posts

Flag Post

(Welcome to Your Tale, a second-person fantasy CYOP.)

You wake, but your eyes stay closed. You manage to pull your sore arm from under a limp weight. Your hand scratches your face, and tears away a crust of caked on blood. Your eyes open to nothing but corpses and sky. Your ears are met with ringing, and the sound of screams. Screams of triumph and of defeat. The battle comes back to you slowly.
you remember the blowing of horns and the loosing of arrows. You remember foreign men calling out commands in their strange tongues. Most of all, you remember the fire.
It tore through the forest, and the fields alike. It scaled the walls faster than a man could climb, and rode down horsemen like a great orange wolf. After exhaustion set in, you could see things in the flames. Men were no longer burned. They were eaten alive by flaming demons.
You force yourself to stop remembering, and try to rise out of your mass grave. You shoulder past corpses in useless tattered mail, finally standing on your own two feet. You look down at yourself. You are stained with the blood of a thousand men, yet you can still see the black of your clothing.
You were a member of the Black Guard. You remember your brothers fondly. You were great warriors, great…great…What were you? Your aching head will not reveal your past. The black guard were great…

A.) Riders

B.) Infantry

C.) Archers

Flag Post

A.) Riders

Possibility: as swift as the wind, the black riders were so quick that they executed their missions without pause for enemies to spot them, making them effectively as invisible as a dark vase submerged and immersed in a pool of tar.

Flag Post

A.) Riders

Flag Post

C.) Archers

Flag Post
Originally posted by RokRokRok:

A.) Riders

Originally posted by gammaflux:

C.) Archers

Guys, I think the OP will only accept the first reply as a solution to the problem or answer to a question. If one were to prioritize them all equally, then the thread wouldn’t work out.

Flag Post
Originally posted by simeng:

A.) Riders

C.) Archers

Guys, I think the OP will only accept the first reply as a solution to the problem or answer to a question. If one were to prioritize them all equally, then the thread wouldn’t work out.

I am sorry, but have you even played many CYOPs? Majority votes are usually ruled.

Flag Post

C.) Archers, their long-distance assaults as unforeseeable and silent as they were unstoppable and deadly.

Flag Post

A.) Riders

Flag Post
Originally posted by simeng:

A.) Riders

C.) Archers

I am sorry, but have you even played many CYOPs? Majority votes are usually ruled.

Ah, I apologize for my negligence. It was my misgiving that a CYOP operated on a first-come-first-serve basis instead of an all-around monopoly, but I now understand how these games function.

Flag Post

It’s okay.

Flag Post

A.) Rider

It is horses we are talking about, or something else since it is a fantasy?

Flag Post

The Black Guard were a collection of hedge knights and third sons. They hunted outlaws with black coursers and tar-dipped lances, killing in the night. When the war started, they picked up a few more riders, including you. You rode behind Lord Robin, killing deserters and raiding parties. When the party headed of to aid the besieged city of Anderrion, you remembered the campfire tales of northern ‘Jarls’.
There was Jorgul Steelclad who wore no colors. Men said he could be recognized by his platemail, which he always wore. There was also Greatmaw the unbreakable, who was said to be large enough to wield a long-axe in either hand. Every night your brothers told you of these Northern savages who rode no horses and trained direwolves to kill their enemies. Some of your brothers were scared, but most were sure these stories were simple rumors. Everything changed in the battle. No one in the Black Guard had ever seen a battle like this.
You lost two brothers to archer-fire within the first volley. You saw your captain ripped from his horse by a northman the size of a bear. That was only the first charge. You spent half the night clinging to your horse, driving your lance into unwary enemies. Each time you thought the fighting was over, you heard Sir Jacob call for another charge. After the sun came up, the real battle began. The black guard broke its resolve and scattered. Some allies sallied forth from the gate. You were taken off your horse by a stray arrow. You chopped your way through the battlefield, looking for a horse. You found a dreadful sight.
A warhorn blew, and more northmen streamed out of the western forest. They were lead by the largest man you have ever seen. He wore nothing but a bearskin, and a long-axe rested in either hand. Reflecting on it now, that was probably the exhaustion and need for water talking. Time seemed not to matter in the battle, but you remember seeing the sun hanging low behind this new rush of enemies.
You do not know how you survived the battle. You must have been struck with a maul. That would explain the aching head and the dent in your helmet. Now you look around the field and see only looters left, stripping corpses. You look to the city walls hopefully. Lord Robin’s white on blue banners still hung there. The invaders had not even cleared the outer walls.
You need to regroup with your brothers, but you don’t where to search for them. The Black Guard were notorious looters. They might still be out in the field. They might be feasting with Lord Robin. Your mind wanders to a grim third option. You could pick up some weapons, armor, jewelry and other valuables here. They could easily be traded for a horse. No one would be looking for you. It isn’t desertion if the army leaves you.

A.)Go meet the looters

B.)Enter the city

C.)Desert

Flag Post

A.)Go meet the looters

Flag Post

A.)Go meet the looters

Flag Post

You wander out into the field, stepping over bodies from both sides. You try to approach a few looters, but the common outlaws flee from the sight of you. Perhaps you do look a bit ghoulish.
You eventually find some men herding up the horses left behind. They give you stern looks, and you realize they are all City Watch. They must have been dealing with looters all day. You are about to leave when you hear a familiar voice. Sir Jacob called out, “I will never turn away one of my brothers! Come over here and show me your face!”
You always felt uneasy around Sir Jacob. He was ambitious, and forced everyone to call him Sir, though he held no land. He didn’t seem to care about honor, only power and gold. He took control of the breaking riders and forced you to keep fighting, but it was not his place to decide that. There were several men better suited to lead than him, but none as quick to start barking orders.
You approach him and he smiles broadly. “I thought you had fallen!” he said, sounding genuinely surprised. “I was taken from my horse, or the other way ‘round. I can’t really say.” you reply, looking at the herd meaningfully. The greedy man only laughed. He quickly introduced you to his new friends in the Watch. They were good workers and honest men. You help them with their work in exchange for a grey mare. You don’t argue with them about what kind of horse you had. A slow horse runs faster than a fast man, your father used to say. Who was your father?

A.)A horse merchant

B.)A knight

C.)A rancher

Flag Post

C.) A rancher

Flag Post

C.)A rancher

Flag Post

B.) A knight

Knights are nobility, maybe we can get some special treatment down the line.

Flag Post

B.) A knight

Flag Post

b) knight

also, if this is fantasy, can “riders” be a more general term? Like riding dragons, taming animals etc.

Flag Post

(No. Riders almost always refers to horses. There are not enough mythical beasts to spare any on plebs. Certain lords ride other things into battle, but its mostly horses.)

You were born to a lesser knight, and learned to ride early. You also learned to fight and lead. Sadly, you are unlikely to gain your father’s keep anytime soon. Your older brothers and their bountiful litters keep you well away from any inheritance. The only way you will ever gain a keep of your own is to win glory(and land) for The Azure Pact.
The Azure Pact binds dozens of lords together as one nation. They hold most of Tallerria, from the foothills of the mountains to the southern shores. They convene once a year to discuss matters of the realm. To the North, the Tallerri savages reside. They want their lands back, and are willing to fight for them.
The Watchmen are gracious for your work, and invite you to their mead hall. Jacob invites you back to a tavern in the poor area of town, where your brothers from the Guard are gathering. Now that you are spotted, you can’t desert. You could head up to the victory feast to spread your story, though.

A.)Follow the Watch

B.)Meet with your brothers

C.)go to the lord’s hall

Flag Post

B.) Meet with your brothers.

Flag Post

B.)Meet with your brothers

Flag Post

You ride abreast Sir Jacob through the city gates. You pass dilapidated old hovels and whore-houses. Eventually you reach a dirty old building, low and wide. Near its door hangs a sign that reads “The Fallen Footman”, accompanied by a simple image of a soldier bowing his head. As you dismount and stable your horses, Sir Jacob assures you that this is where soldiers go after a costly battle. You are doubtful that this is a place of mourning. There is shouting and cheering, barely muffled by the rotten walls.
As you approach the entrance, you are surrounded by men armed with hammers and mauls. Their leader emerges and demands your money and weapons in a heavy Anderrion accent. Jacob looks ready to jump on them, and you feel the same rage. They are simple bandits! You have hunted their kind for months. You feel you have the advantage on them because of your great…

A.)Strength and mass

B.)Speed and agility

C.)Cunning and brutality

Flag Post

B.) Speed and agility

or

C.) Cunning and brutality

(B. is the priority)