Activity Encouragement Mafia (End-Game) (locked)

317 posts

Flag Post

Activity Encouragement Mafia

As the title probably reveals, the main purpose of this mafia is to encourage higher mafia activity in FGF. At the same time, it’s also a sort of experiment and test. It’s an plain fact that activity tends to be low here, but the reasons for this observance is debatable. A lack of time, a lack of motivation, a lack of interest. Part of this mafia’s purpose is to find out the reasons for the syndromes of lurking, complete inactivity, and lackluster posts in order to determine whether or not they are actually remediable.

As such, I’m asking those who sign up here to put their best efforts in. Post actively, make earnest attempts to scumhunt, and just overall, play to win. Make your presence in the thread known. And if playing actively prevents you from having fun, I completely understand and you may withdraw your attention after this mafia is finished. But while it is running, please devote yourselves to playing actively just this once.

And if part of the reason for inactivity is due to a lack of confidence in playing ability, I encourage players that regard themselves as skilled to advise others and act as a model of sorts. In addition, I encourage players to encourage others to post if they show activity elsewhere but not here.

As a note, I will be modprodding all players at the beginning of every Day and Night, regardless of activity. This is simply a reminder so that this game isn’t forgotten. If you feel bothered by my spam and don’t need a reminder, please PM me to stop.

I will list a change in rules here from my last mafia in case nobody bothers to read them (I still hope you do). QuickTopics are used in this mafia for player communication instead of PM’s. Days last longer and nights exist. At least one post per Day needs to be made in order to avoid a modkill.

Flag Post

Roles

This mafia runs on the 2 of 4 set-up. Seven roles: a Mafia Goon, a Mafia Role Cop, and five Vanilla Townies are guaranteed to make it into the game. The remaining two roles are randomized from among a Sane Cop, a Doctor, a Jailkeeper, and a Vanilla Townie.

Role Action Priorities (in order from most priority to least):
Jailkeeper’s Jail
Doctor’s Protect
Sane Cop’s Investigate
Mafia Role Cop’s Investigate
Mafia Shared NK

Town Roles:

In Activity Encouragement Mafia, you are a Vanilla Townie.

Abilities:
/A vote during day to lynch.

Alignment:
Town.

Win Condition:
Lynch all anti-town roles.

In Activity Encouragement Mafia, you are a Sane Cop.

Abilities:
//The ability to investigate other players at night for their alignment. As your name implies, your investigate will not lie to you.

Alignment:
Town.

Win Condition:

In Activity Encouragement Mafia, you are a Doctor.

Abilities:
//The ability to protect a player at night from a NK.

Alignment:
Town.

Win Condition:

In Activity Encouragement Mafia, you are a Jailkeeper.

Abilities:
//The ability to jail a player at night. This protects the target from all NK’s and roleblocks the target as well.

Alignment:
Town.

Win Condition:

Mafia Roles:

In Activity Encouragement Mafia, you are a Mafia Goon.

Abilities:
//The ability to communicate with your partner, [Insert Name], the Mafia Role Cop. Use this QuickTopic[Insert Link] for communication purposes.
///A shared NK with your partner. This NK is executed by one of you two and can be roleblocked. Your partner may NK and investigate on the same night.

Alignment:
Mafia.

Win Condition:
Have the number of living mafia members equate to or be greater than the number of living townies.

In Activity Encouragement Mafia, you are a Mafia Role Cop.

Abilities:
//The ability to communicate with your partner, [Insert Name], the Mafia Goon. Use this QuickTopic[Insert Link] for communication purposes.
///A shared NK with your partner. This NK is executed by one of you two and can be roleblocked. You may NK and investigate on the same night.
///The ability to investigate other players at night for their role. Your investigate will not lie to you. You may NK and investigate on the same night.

Alignment:
Mafia.

Win Condition:
Have the number of living mafia members equate to or be greater than the number of living townies.

Flag Post

Rules

Note: These rules originated from Bluji, obviously with some modifications.

1. Votes and unvotes must be in bold, like this: vote [insert username]. In the event of changing votes to a new target, you must first unvote before you revote. Note that votes that don’t follow this rule will probably be ignored.

2. Discussion about this game must be contained inside of this thread, unless stated by the role PM. In most cases, role PM’s that allow communication will restrict you to certain people and to using a QuickTopic; these limits must be followed. PM’s are forbidden in this game, in which I am testing out the utility of QuickTopics.

3. Dead people lose their ability to speak, only managing to utter out some dying words as one “Bah” post directly after their death. This post may not contain any information relating to the game. A QuickTopic will be PMed to people that have died so that they may discuss during the game.

4. Night actions are all optional, but please PM me stating your hatred towards the use of night actions even if you don’t plan to use it. If you know that you will be gone during the night phase, your action can be PMed to me during the corresponding day phase.

5. Days end after about 120 hours, or 5 days, but only if a majority of the town is voting. If this majority is not reached, 24 extra hours will be added to the final deadline. Day only ends when a deadline is reached, with the lynch going to the player with the most votes.

6. Nights last about 48 hours. If all actions are submitted, the night will end directly afterwards.

7. Ties in the votes are resolved by lynching the person who got the most votes the quickest.

8. During day, players are allowed to vote for a No Lynch. Players may not vote themselves.

9. If you aren’t a part of the game, please don’t post in the thread. Reserves should be PMed to me.

10. Editing or deleting posts is strictly forbidden. If you need to change or clarify something made in one of your previous posts, you must do so with another post—even if you have to double-post. In Mafia game lingo, this is known as an EBWOP (Edit By Way of Post).

11. I trust that none of you would be despicable enough to use alts, but alts are strictly forbidden.

12. Don’t be inactive without a good reason; excessive inactivity would make me depressed enough to replace or modkill you. Before I resort to such measures, warnings will be posted in-thread and sent by PM. Whether or not you’re inactive will be left to my personal judgment and common sense. If you play the game actively and dedicatedly, you have nothing to worry about. If you happen to have a reason for inactivity, please PM me before you go into the inactive. As of right now, you must make at least one post a day to avoid a modkill, although I hope for more than the minimum.

13. Presenting any kind of copies of private mod messages is highly prohibited. Claims are fine, but quoting or “exchanging a few words for synonyms” is forbidden.

14. Do not post any pictures. This isn’t the General Thread or Spamville. Similarly, try to keep spam to a minimum.

15. Dead members on the winning team can still receive wins if I deem their efforts as worthy. This means that they must be active and that they must play well. To eliminate any bias on my part, I’ll also allow people to argue that they deserve a win and for others to support them.

16. Any breaking of the rules, especially 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, and 13, will result in a mod action. This may mean a modkill or a temporary or permanent ban from my games.

Flag Post

Player List
1. walfordking Vanilla Townie lynched on Day 1
2. doctorew Replaced adv0catus Replaced DragonArcherZ
3. vixenated Doctor NKed on Night 2
4. CowFriend
5. efar Replaced efar Replaced sebba
6. Bluji Replaced AdeebNafees
7. Behemoth542 Vanilla Townie lynched on Day 2
8. Jaskaran2000 Anti-spam Shield
9. VoodooCoffeeGuy Vanilla Townie lynched on Day 4
Reserves

Flag Post

Sign-ups are now open.

Flag Post

Go on. I’ll try this. Signs.

Flag Post

/in

Flag Post

Sign.

Flag Post

Sign. But how does this particular mafia promote activity exactly? At least one post per day is a rule in most mafias I have played.

Flag Post

But how does this particular mafia promote activity exactly? At least one post per day is a rule in most mafias I have played.

Unless the players themselves are willing to make an effort (I assume they wouldn’t make a sign unless they were), it wouldn’t. There are a few things that may bolster activity compared to other mafias (as mentioned in the introduction), but the essence of activity lies in the players themselves. As for one post a day, I’ll increase it if I find it necessary; the current number is in order to avoid spam.

Flag Post

sign

Flag Post

I assume they wouldn’t make a sign unless they were

lolol

Flag Post

I think the issue isn’t that players aren’t willing to be more active, it’s that they don’t know how to be more active.

People don’t post more often because the people that post the most are seen as the most suspicious. In order to avoid suspicion, people post less. The only way that that will change is if mafia players here don’t throw suspicion onto every person who posts more than twice in a day. And that’s a trend that I don’t see changing on Kongregate anytime soon, if at all. That’s also a big part of the reason why I’ve stopped playing mafias on Kongregate.

As far as other methods of attempting to increase mafia game activity, Adeeb’s mafia (Worst Role Ever) had a role where the person would be lynched if they had the least number of posts in a day—the problem was that that role was randomly assigned to me, and I’m already one of the most active Mafia posters here.

Then there was my famously failed Dual Mafia experiment—my thinking was that, by separating the newbie and experienced mafia players, the newbie players could post more without being shot down by the experienced players, and the experienced players could post more without having to stop and defend themselves from suspicions by players who didn’t really know what they were doing. But that obviously didn’t happen.

The players may very well be willing to be more active. But it takes a heck of a lot more than that to actually get increased activity to happen.

Flag Post

On the note of racefan’s post, I would like frequent inactives to explain why they are inactive. We can make theories about why, but I have noticed that these theories tend to vary. In other words, it would help if there was a concrete explanation.

That’s also a big part of the reason why I’ve stopped playing mafias on Kongregate.

Are you referring to lurking in order to avoid suspicion or tunneling all actives? If it’s the latter, I really don’t see the problem.

Flag Post

Are you referring to lurking in order to avoid suspicion or tunneling all actives?

Both.

Flag Post

Faceran, what the pork are you doing in a mafia thread Nvm.

I think the issue isn’t that players aren’t willing to be more active, it’s that they don’t know how to be more active.

Let’s go one step at a time. Right now, I dunno if you have noticed, but activity levels are worse here than at a Pel wiki.

As far as other methods of attempting to increase mafia game activity, Adeeb’s mafia (Worst Role Ever) had a role where the person would be lynched if they had the least number of posts in a day—the problem was that that role was randomly assigned to me, and I’m already one of the most active Mafia posters here.

It could actually spread to other players :S I am thinking of having a mafia where anyone with a history of lurking gets that characteristic.

Then there was my famously failed Dual Mafia experiment

No offense, but it was famous? The experienced game had a pretty awesome stalemate, but the newbie game, where I did get eliminated and everything so I am biased, probably didn’t have the most satisfactory ending it could have had, and activity was probably the problem there. Any activity whatsoever.

my thinking was that, by separating the newbie and experienced mafia players, the newbie players could post more without being shot down by the experienced players, and the experienced players could post more without having to stop and defend themselves from suspicions by players who didn’t really know what they were doing. But that obviously didn’t happen.

I know it is useless trying to reason how you could have hosted the mafia better (since you aren’t going to host one in forever), but have you considered hosting a, you know, more ordinary setup without masons and werewolves? Maybe that’d have more success, because, oh, I dunno, less things to wrap your head around?

(devourer)

On the note of racefan’s post, I would like frequent inactives to explain why they are inactive

When my ISP borks. Can’t do much about that.

Are you referring to lurking in order to avoid suspicion or tunneling all actives?

Not a Face, but I hate the former. Lurking kills games badly. I know I lurked quite a bit in DM: NG, but I showed my face a pretty amount of times too.

Sign, because I like devourer mafias. A semi-open setup is also a pluspoint, though I was planning to host one and become the first semi-open game host.

Flag Post

right this is my daily post

Flag Post

Sign, because I like devourer mafias. A semi-open setup is also a pluspoint, though I was planning to host one and become the first semi-open game host.

Fun fact: I had originally considered a semi-open setup for Dual Mafia (including this very 2 of 4 setup), but decided a fully open setup would be less confusing.

Flag Post

Sign

Flag Post

just about 3 more people hooray

Flag Post

Right now, I dunno if you have noticed, but activity levels are worse here than at a Pel wiki.

Would this be in mafias or in FGF as a whole?

I am thinking of having a mafia where anyone with a history of lurking gets that characteristic.

Personally, I would love to see something like this.

No offense, but it was famous?

Because I made it so with my epic gambit.

When my ISP borks. Can’t do much about that.

But you aren’t a frequent inactive :P.

DM: NG

I’m having a hard time remembering what game this was, or whether or not I actually know it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by devourer359:

DM: NG

I’m having a hard time remembering what game this was, or whether or not I actually know it.

Dual Mafia: Newbie Game.

Flag Post

I would sign, but I’ve decided to take a break from playing mafias. I’ve discussed this with race and Adeeb and at least Adeeb agrees on me taking a break.

The main reason to this break is probably the fact I want to play less “professionally”. I want to play a little casually, not get bombarded with dozens of questions and kilometer-long posts starting from the first 15 minutes of day 1. It is not fun, and especially the way people give suspicion:

1) If person A is active, he must be scum who wants to manipulate. Pressure him with dozens of questions.
2) If person A is inactive, he must be lurking scum. Pressure him with dozens of questions.

I don’t like this, because as mafia, I usually end up being 1) and as town, I usually end up being 1) also, and if I am town, the nice add-on bonus of getting NK’d in night 3 or earlier is given. It’s annoying and really puts even the tiniest crumbs of my interest away.

Flag Post

when can we start? :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by efar:

when can we start? :(

When sign-ups are full.