The Mole 2 ::: Game Topic page 4 (locked)

591 posts

Flag Post

Why would somebody want us to think they are the mole?

Flag Post

Because that way, they know something about the mole that you don’t. Which means they have an advantage on the elimination quiz.

Flag Post

I don’t see how that would give them any new information. People would be more inclined to think they’re the mole, but it wouldn’t give them anything new. Also, your theory says that the person pushing my plan is either the mole or somebody who wants to be seen as the mole. And the reason it could be the mole is that somebody wants to be seen as the mole. But sense there’s no real reason to suspect the mole would come up with the plan, it’s a reason that isn’t justified except by itself.

Flag Post

If you know you’re not the mole, but everyone else thinks you are the mole, then you have an advantage over them on the quiz.

Really, it is to everyone’s advantage to get people to think that they are the mole. The only reason you wouldn’t want to do this is to the extent that you want to earn money for the pot. But adding to the pot is secondary to winning the game.

@Adeeb’s plan: How do we know that Bluji didn’t change the victory conditions for the Mole? I changed them from the source that I got the game from—it wouldn’t surprise me if Bluji changed the conditions here.

Flag Post

The quizzes include guesses on who the mole is? Alright well, that’s news to me.

Flag Post

Did you even read the opening post?

Flag Post

I did. It doesn’t explicitly say that the identity of the mole will be involved in the questions, merely that we will be answering questions while trying to identify the mole.
Race has since explained this to me.

Flag Post

Mystery’s plan sounds fine to me, as I doubt that people would be willing to take the risk of earning nothing when everybody has established what they will do. And because I wouldn’t want to let this get away without earning an advantage for myself, I volunteer to be the sole sender of the exemption PM.

Flag Post

No. Exemptions is a bad idea. If anyone takes an exemption, then I will also take an exemption, which will then leave this whole task open for the mole to ruin it. No exemptions.

Also, what happens if someone “forgets” to pm a request for money/exemption? Do we lose the task?

Flag Post

Hey Silent: Editing your posts—highly frowned upon, no different than any other forum games. I’m surprised Bluji didn’t explicity ban it.

Also, what happens if someone “forgets” to pm a request for money/exemption? Do we lose the task?

The task says that 8 people need to request the money—so I imagine that two people can fail to PM if the other 8 request the money.

Flag Post

No. Exemptions is a bad idea. If anyone takes an exemption, then I will also take an exemption, which will then leave this whole task open for the mole to ruin it.

Why would you take an exemption simply because someone else does? There’s the whole temptation thing, but I feel that that shouldn’t be a problem if we can all mutually trust each other and just not send in an exemption. And with the logic that the mole can take advantage of a second exemption PM, why would a player send one in?

Flag Post

Exemption IS a bonus. Nobody really wants others to get a bonus.
Race, I believe we just don’t get the money, because we can just only have two exemptions. I don’t think we have to have all people get in the submissions, we just don’t get the money for them and thus lose cash.

Devourer, according to that logic, you just shouldn’t send an exemption. So, that’s that.

Flag Post

According to the logic that somebody doesn’t want me to have a bonus, I shouldn’t send an exemption? I don’t see how this logic is supposed to convince me. Why would people send exemption PM’s to mess me up with the damage of losing money when it won’t even guarantee that I’ll fail the quiz?

Flag Post

There’s the whole temptation thing, but I feel that that shouldn’t be a problem if we can all mutually trust each other and just not send in an exemption. And with the logic that the mole can take advantage of a second exemption PM, why would a player send one in?

Your post is what I was referring to, which is what you said, and happens to not be what Louweed says, on account of you saying it. Sorry for the pseudo-mockery, but I was referring to your whole “just not send in an exemption” statement. The reason I separated the bonus statement from the statement directed at you was because they were unrelated.

Also, the reason they would do so, or at least threaten to do so, is to keep you from being guaranteed to win, as if they say they’ll send an exemption if you do, the logic is that you’ll be less inclined to do it. I don’t think it was meant to be debating tactic. It seemed like a threat to me.

Flag Post

devourer. DON’T send in an exemption. How many of the 9 people we have will be online to submit the money? NOT ENOUGH. NO ONE SEND IN THE EXEMPTION

Flag Post
Originally posted by S_98:

devourer. DON’T send in an exemption. How many of the 9 people we have will be online to submit the money? NOT ENOUGH. NO ONE SEND IN THE EXEMPTION

Everyone in this game is supposed to check this thread at least once a day, according to the applications they sent in. So, everyone should be online, and that argument is invalid.

Also, Silent, please read through the previous game of The Mole. The exemption (should anyone receive one) only lasts for one quiz, and (especially at this early stage of the game) does not appreciably help anyone’s chances of winning the game.

as if they say they’ll send an exemption if you do, the logic is that you’ll be less inclined to do it

While this may theoretically be true, I think devourer is set on taking the exemption. And as devourer notes, there’s no problem with him choosing to send in an exemption request. The problem comes if multiple people (other than the mole) choose to send in an exemption request. Of course, devourer could be the mole, and then this discussion would be pointless. But we have to assume the worst-case scenario.

Flag Post

EBWOP: Let me emphasize that this is not Mafia. Your goal is not to find out who the mole is and eliminate him/her. Your goal is to attempt to deduce the mole’s identity while simultaneously attempting to keep everyone else from deducing the mole’s identity.

Flag Post
Originally posted by devourer359:

According to the logic that somebody doesn’t want me to have a bonus, I shouldn’t send an exemption? I don’t see how this logic is supposed to convince me. Why would people send exemption PM’s to mess me up with the damage of losing money when it won’t even guarantee that I’ll fail the quiz?

If you send in an exemption, it will guarantee that we fail this task. Think of me as a suicide bomber.

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

If you send in an exemption, it will guarantee that we fail this task. Think of me as a suicide bomber.

What is your reasoning for performing this action? How will you know whether or not devourer attempts to claim an exemption?

Flag Post

To be honest, last night I thought to myself that the mole wouldn’t take the exemption at all, because there is literally no gain from doing this as if the mole is seen to be taking the exemption, then the people will suspect the mole. The first precondition would be void and the anti-pot, no matter how full it is, will be useless to everyone. Thus, the mole will NOT take the exemption. Unless I just ruined it by shielding the mole.

Flag Post

To be honest, last night I thought to myself that the mole wouldn’t take the exemption at all, because there is literally no gain from doing this as if the mole is seen to be taking the exemption, then the people will suspect the mole.

Unless people think that there’s no way the mole would be that obvious, and thus decide that the person(s) that claimed the exemption are just people trying to get everyone else to think that they are the mole.

Flag Post

I missed the sign ups? ._.

Flag Post

So the reason it would be good if people thought you were the mole is because on the quiz they’d put your name down and therefore get the questions wrong, and be eliminated? I’m confused, can someone enlighten me?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mysterymason:

So the reason it would be good if people thought you were the mole is because on the quiz they’d put your name down and therefore get the questions wrong, and be eliminated? I’m confused, can someone enlighten me?

Basically, yeah.

Flag Post

Basically, yeah.

Did I ever tell you guys I was the mole?

Nah, kidding, but on a serious note, I think devourer is a candidate for the Mole, he could have just messaged for the money like the rest of us but instead of that he isn’t just saying “I will take an exemption”, he is actually, in his arguments, trying to make the idea seem OK and this could convince other people to go for the exemption also.