Your Tale 2(CYOP) (locked)

130 posts

Flag Post

(Another attempt at a game like this. I have worked out a way to stop my occasional writer’s block from killing this game.)

Chapter 1

The Azure invaders rest across the sea. It will be thousands of years before the Black Guard ride for the first time. To the south, cozy villages lay unprotected on the coast. As the snow lets up and the rivers widen, the men of your town eagerly await their voyage. Its Viking season. New oars are carved ,and sails are mended. The long-ships rock gently in the harbor, and the jarl is choosing his crew.

The scene is set. We are missing one vital fact. Who are you?

A.The second son of a ship-builder, Worried that the jarl may declare you too important to send a-viking.

B.The first son of a farmer, desperately trying to convince your father you have the skills to be a viking.

C.The only son of the jarl, ready to captain your own long-ship for the first time, if only the townspeople respected you.

 
Flag Post

Lets go with choice (B.)

(Also I wish you luck on your game, I always like them ^^)

 
Flag Post

I would go with A.

 
Flag Post

C. Sparrow Jack

 
Flag Post

B.

 
Flag Post

I like B

 
Flag Post

Your father drags your out to the field each dawn to sow this year’s crop. You finish your share of the work before midday, and spend the rest of the daylight to prove your inherent viking abilities. What skill will you hone?

A. Deadly accuracy with a longbow.

B. Mastery of the sails and rigging of a fishing vessel.

C. Ferocity and strength when handling an axe.

 
Flag Post

I like archers A

 
Flag Post

Agreed with Archers, they’re stealthy A

 
Flag Post

A is fine with me.

 
Flag Post

You decide to work on your marksmanship. You carve a long bow from an ash sapling and knap some arrowheads. You fire at a tree for nearly a moon. You think you are fairly skilled. It is time to prove your worth.

A. Try to compete with some local sharpshooters in the spring tourney.

B. Hunt in the nearby wilderness for a troublesome beast.

 
Flag Post

A will prove skill in public

 
Flag Post

B will benefit the public.

 
Flag Post

B for teh lulz

 
Flag Post

You strike off into the forest, looking for a bear. You find a lair a few miles out of town, but this doesn’t look like a bear’s den. The local cattle have been attacked by some kind of large beast, but you begin to wonder whether it was a bear at all. You slowly turn from the strange nest to see its owner. A monstrous wolf stares into your eyes. You stare back, into unnatural black pits. You notch an arrow, and it snarls. The direwolf is considered the greatest beast of the wilderness. It is said that the creatures are the spawn of Loki himself. You draw your bow, and the wolf rears back. You fire, and the arrow flies true. The wolf’s black heart is pierced; it falls dead.

You walk through the streets of the town, victorious. The wolf’s pelt hangs over your shoulders. Men spread the old wives-tale across the town; Any man who kills a direwolf grows, in time, to be as large as the wolf he killed.

Before long you find yourself in front of the jarl. This is the closest you’ve ever been to him. Before, you had seen him around the town, and heard his commanding voice. Now, in his longhall, the voice booms over the crowd’s murmurings.

“You have shown that you can hunt. You have killed a direwolf. You are young and strong. This is enough. I would take you with me. I have but one question, and not for you. What does this man’s father think?”, He asks the crowd.

“I am his father, and I have other sons. I see now that this one is meant for greater things than I. He may go.”, your father says. He is unusually formal, but sounds proud. You are going a-viking.

End of Chapter 1

 
Flag Post

Chapter 2

The longship cruises along. Each morning you watch it appear at larboard, rising out of the trees, and each evening you see it set at starboard, hiding behind the sea. The tall, conic evergreens of your home are slowly outnumbered by newly clad oaks and elms. You pass fjords and rocky cliffs, but more gentle beaches seem to spring up each day. You are entering The South. You have heard tales of this land. It is a gentle land of weak people. Another tale is that the forests teem with wildlife.

One morning, as you prepare to start your shift at the oars, the find the ship has landed on a beach. The men are preparing for a hunt to refill the dwindling stocks of meat. They were simply waiting for you.

You stalk through the wilderness in your wolf-pelt. What will you hunt today?

A. You hunt a large stag that could feed the crew for weeks.

B. You hunt colorful southern birds whose feathers will soon adorn your arrows.

C. You hunt the soft little creatures that run across the forest floor. You have heard that their leather is quite nice.

 
Flag Post

wouldn’t it be “a-vikinging”

 
Flag Post

Choice A.

Because it would benefit everyone.

 
Flag Post

You hunt down a large stag. It is brought down easily, and the crew is thankful. You continue your journey.

You notice the veterans sharpening their axes and swords. When you ask why, they only laugh. You replace some of your less than ideal arrows. The first raid is approaching.

Your fellow vikings stand on the deck. You will sail the rest of this stretch. A few children play on the beach as you approach. They run inland, presumably to their village. The ship slides onto the sands, and you leap off. This is it. This is what you have been looking forward to for years. But why? Of all the tales of viking campaigns, what attracted you to this?

A. The hunting of innocent people with impunity.

B. The forceful ‘taking’ of women.

C. The gold and luxuries of the industrious Southerners.

 
Flag Post

C. We started as a poor farmer, we need money to prosper.

 
Flag Post

C.

 
Flag Post

it would be B for me

 
Flag Post

You want to loot and pillage this land. You stay with the archers and fire a volley. The local militia are massacred and surrender. You look around the defenseless village and spot two opportunities. One is a large circle of inscribed stones in the center of town. That seems like their place of worship. You wonder how they moved such large rocks. You also see a defenseless home that has not been broken into yet.

A. Rob the shrine.

B. Rob the home.

 
Flag Post

B. Rob the home. We shall not rob a religious building/temple/I don’t know what to call it.

 
Flag Post

B.

The shrine is a sacred place.