Wasteland [RP] [Signups]

22 posts

Flag Post

There is a place in the back of your mind.

It extends forever in all directions; the sky follows you everywhere and the ground beneath you never stops tunneling further and further.

The place you stand on is junk- trash, destroyed and derelict objects that have been forgotten.

They distribute randomly, procedurally, car doors and washing machines and old TV monitors. Scraps of metal, pipes of all types, computers and cameras. You may find ripped apart wires, empty barrels and glass shards galore- curtains, marble tiles, the occasional clump of sand that finally settles.

Air can be inhaled anywhere, it seeps through the cracks in the crumbling metallic floor.

But the only land is not aboveground.

Manhole covers conceal large metal tunnels downward; sometimes they have working lights (the electricity comes from who knows where) and sometimes they have working ladders. The pitch black tunnels beneath connect to one another randomly- steam bellows from pipes within, giant iron doors block entire sections and the occasional metal box holds delicate objects from the land of the living.

Treasures like soil, seeds, water canisters and old pamphlets (Visit California!). Letters sent by skeletons (Wish you were here!) and ancient books (The Autobiography of You). An old rock covered in runes and a harmonica, splattered by dried liquid.

You are not alone here.

Small settlements extend out from the wasteland, forged from the occasional rainfall and farms. People in clothes sewn from rugs, derelict beds and dirty towels scattered through the infinite plane. They have drawn maps, grown society, and fought wars.

Welcome to the wasteland, and be wary not to lose your footing.

The people who enter these wastes are from our world.

They are the few who disappear from alleyways, in corners of offices, dropped into rivers not to be found again.

Now, I’m not a questioning man, but I do need your information.

Name:

[Your bio and backstory can be freely hidden. Make it up as you go or come in knowing- either way, the only things people will know about you is what you tell them (excluding your age/appearance)]

1. The Walking One
2. John Rikks
3. Emile James
4. Variance Hedges
5. Tenouchi ‘Isaac’ Hayai
6. Jared Erasmus
7. Phillip Derroger
8. ‘John’
9. Allen
10. Alexander Thorne

[and so on]

Flag Post

Name: The Walking One
Appearance: Dark Cloak Conceals entire body. White mask with cloth eye holes and breathing holes that blend in. Cannot see face.
Bio: Has been walking for a while, seeing many settlements come and go. Walks a lot.

Flag Post

Name: John Rikks
Appearance: Scruffy black hair and blue eyes. Muscles are definitely visible on the man, although he does not have the bodybuilder physique. He is slightly taller than the average man, and wears a black shirt, a red jacket and blue jeans. He has several scars around his body, the most prominent of which curves it’s way from his neck, ending in the middle of his back. He also has some on his right arm, his stomach and his left leg. None of them are related, however.

Flag Post

Name: Emile James
Appearance: Lightly tanned skin, a head full of dark brown hair that goes nicely with his scruffy-looking face, and hazel eyes. Emile stands just over 6 ft, and is naturally strong. He wears a navy blue tracksuit with white stripes along both sides, a black t-shirt underneath, and white tennis shoes.

Flag Post

Name: Variance Hedges
Appearance: Half-Chinese; Black hair, brown eyes. Skinny, but with a runner’s build. Wears clothing with numerous pockets and all in khaki and sand colours. Has a tattoo of a barcode under his right sleeve.

Flag Post

Name: Tenouchi ‘Isaac’ Hayai

Appearance: A skinny man, with wild dark grey hair with steaks of blue in it. A sharp face, and determined hazel eyes. No muscles whatsoever ever, but he has extremely steady hands. Wears a simple white shirt, blue jeans and shoes. Carries a backpack containing a nib pen, inkwell and several pieces of paper.

Flag Post

Name: Jared Erasmus

Appearance: Jared has a muscular build (Not exactly a bodybuilder type, but enough to be visible), with a light shade of tan skin. He wears a beige apron over a jacket made of small patches of cloth roughly sewn together. His height is 5’8, and he weighs just over 150 pounds.
Under this jacket, he wears a green T-shirt, and a pair of dirty black jeans. He has numerous pockets on his jacket, all filled with scavenged food such as expired candy bars, dented tin cans, old water, etc.
He also carries around an old backpack, and a satchel made of sewn-together cloth. In his backpack, he carries around various valuable merchandise, such as bottles of water, scrap metal, slightly broken ornate objects, basically things that could be traded for other more valuable goods.
In his satchel, he carries around what little personal effects that he has. He has a roughly shaven mustache, and a pair of flaking leather aviator goggles on his forehead.

Bio: Jared is what many Wastelanders would call a “scavenger merchant”, meaning he searches the wasteland for valuable objects, like gold objects, containers with water, electricity generators, repairable electricity appliances, batteries, basically things that could be given a good cleaning or a few parts and be as good as new. Jared also searches for valuable objects, like gems and valuable metals, which fetch a high price in the markets.

Flag Post

Yes, go ahead with two characters!

Flag Post

By the way, i had a few questions i wanted to ask about the game.

1: Do we all start in the same town/area/location, or are we all in different parts of the wasteland?

2: What level of technological advancement is the average city/town/village?

And finally, 3: Is there any sort of “sea”, like, a large body of tar or some other undrinkable liquid?

Originally posted by kilozombie:

Yes, go ahead with two characters!

Actually, disregard that, i was thinking of something stupid, sorry.

Flag Post

1. I’m basically going to make a big map of civilizations and other landmarks in about a 50×50km area- you can go outward from there, but I plan to have everyone spawn/start at that locale. Of course, some people will have already lived in the wastes awhile.

2. It really depends. While it’s possible to get electricity in some ways, most settlements are limited to candles and torches for light, and most homes are forged of scrap metal. There are language barriers; any one person could speak Spanish, English, Mandarin and so on. Other than that, most of it varies.

3. Considering the rain and other weather, there are probably “lakes” or at least puddles in some shady places- but considering that the air is also pretty damn polluted, the only good source is fresh rainwater.

Flag Post

Name: Phillip Derroger

Appearance: He’s got an average build, and he’s tall, a bit more than 5’7. He’s got a pale skin and silvery, shoulder lenght hair. One of his most distintive features are his pitch black eyes, with no trace of white on them. He always wears a dark grey rain coat, with dark blue pants, grey trekking shoes and a plain black shirt. He has no facial hair. He tends to hide weapons under his rain coat, most times many small daggers and a machete.

Flag Post

1. I’m basically going to make a big map of civilizations and other landmarks in about a 50×50km area- you can go outward from there, but I plan to have everyone spawn/start at that locale. Of course, some people will have already lived in the wastes awhile.

2. It really depends. While it’s possible to get electricity in some ways, most settlements are limited to candles and torches for light, and most homes are forged of scrap metal. There are language barriers; any one person could speak Spanish, English, Mandarin and so on. Other than that, most of it varies.

3. Considering the rain and other weather, there are probably “lakes” or at least puddles in some shady places- but considering that the air is also pretty damn polluted, the only good source is fresh rainwater.

1: Okay, fair enough.

2: So, there’s electricity when a source is available, but other than that, everything else is limited to pre-modern technology. Correct me if i’m wrong, though.

3: Well, i didn’t mean just water, i was thinking more along the lines of any type of large body of liquid, like a lake made of Mercury due to a large amount of broken thermometers, or a sea of bubbling tar, or any large body of liquid substance period.

Also, i will be making a short bio to my character shortly.

Flag Post

Haha, that mercury idea is interesting. I think I’ll consider some kind of large landmark on the map- maybe a huge oil lake or something.

Flag Post

Haha, that mercury idea is interesting. I think I’ll consider some kind of large landmark on the map- maybe a huge oil lake or something.

Grr, I want to see this map of yours. You always make sexy maps.

Flag Post

Name: John
Appearance: I wear this green hat I found. I’m told it’s made of a material called wool. A nice old man gave me some clothes. He said I needed them more than he did. My hair is colored red or so i’ve been told. I’m also told that i’m about 5 ft. and 6 in. tall.
Bio: Amnesia. That word seems important. I don’t know why.

Flag Post

Kilo, there’s something I must change from my character?

Flag Post

Name: Allen
Appearance:  photo 0b-13.jpg
History: They intentionally threw him down here due to how everyone condemned his ‘honorable’ beliefs – or so he thought.
Inv: In addition to the pic above, a backpack with a gasmask, 5 cartridges, and a survival dagger.

Flag Post

5 cartridges of what?

Originally posted by Behemoth542:

Oh, no, there isn’t! I seriously didn’t see it, sorry. I’ll add you really quick.

Flag Post

5 cartridges of what?

Originally posted by Behemoth542:

Oh, no, there isn’t! I seriously didn’t see it, sorry. I’ll add you really quick.

Oh, sorry, Gasmask cartridges. I thought you could assume them.

Flag Post

Oh, gasmasks have cartridges? I had no clue.

Okay, I’ll add you to the list.

Flag Post

kk, that will do.

Flag Post

Name: Alexander Thorne
Appearance: He wears a tight black shirt and blue straight jeans, a dark brown leather jacket rests on his shoulders unzipped. Average height with very visible, strong muscles, though they have barely any definition. A large scar winds down from his mid chest which spirals above his abdomen and curves around his body ending on his lower back.